or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.3 with QuickTime X, OpenGL improvements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.3 with QuickTime X, OpenGL improvements - Page 4

post #121 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

What is the combo? I was reading this thread diagonally and I am sure I 've seen it before.

What I meant was the full update all rolled into one piece. A Software Update is an incremental update. A combo can be useful, but it is large. I usually do Software Updates, but once, I had some sort of an unauthorized program signature problem. I resolved that by installing the internally consistent combo.

This is the link to use only if necessary:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #122 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Reformatting is not required, even to completely reinstall OSX.

Thank you.

I have more Mac knowledge than most users but I'm obviously no gearhead.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #123 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

In case previous updates might have been corrupted during or after install?

I suppose that could be a reason as Apple's phone tech support will walk you through grabbing the combo update as part of a fix if Software Update app didn't work, though I've never thought it in that way. It's really just a backup method for whatever reason you may have that needs it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #124 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by terun78 View Post

I updated to 10.6.3 this morning and everything seems fine except I ran into an issue with iCal showing the wrong date in the dock. I contacted apple support and after trying a variety of things nothing worked. The last resort was to reinstall the combo update and that did the trick. If any of you are having this problem after updating via software update go to the link below and download/install the combo, it will fix it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1018

removing iCal from the dock fixes the problem and has since 10.5.0
post #125 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I agree. This is a Mac.

Besides, I did back-up my system, Time Machine runs constantly, and I have checked my system at least a couple of times since I installed snow leopard 6 months ago with absolutely zero problems showing. I don't call this "preparation" for an update. This is just sop.

This is the third time since I updated this afternoon that the computer just quit on me except the last time the screen went to black... no more blue and pink... and it's still running.

So... beware. This update could cause serious problems for you.

Hi, just a quick heads-up in case it hasn't already been suggested (I've only scanned the thread). Try updating to 10.6.3 using the Combo Update. Here's the KB and download:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017
post #126 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Yep. Really, really pathetic for a multi-media and graphics desktop computer. PC cards have OpenGL 4.0 support with nvidia Fermi GPU's as of now and Windows users have DirectX 11 as an option. What is Apple playing at?

They don't have release drivers. Sorry, but OpenGL the 4.0 specification was just released.

AMD just released a preview driver:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...ew-driver.aspx

Nvidia 400 series drivers aren't even out.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...7.13_whql.html

They are beta drivers w/ full OpenGL 3.2 that are updates to their general release OpenGL 3.2 driver w/ more GPU models added, sound fixes and game fixes to name but a few issues.

The Work in Progress Review from NVNews.net shows the 400 Series working with unreleased drivers:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149400

Sorry, but the move from OpenGL 2.1 -> 3.0 for Apple or even Nvidia/AMD is much harder than the leap from OpenGL 3.0 to OpenGL 3.2 which is the general release current for both Nvidia and AMD.

I'd imagine Apple will either roll out an OS X 10.6.4 sooner rather than later that addresses the issues they held off for this release or they will issue a security update with the complete OpenGL 3.0 and one could surmise that OpenGL 3.2 drivers probably after WWDC, wouldn't be far behind.

The fact that Apple isn't the manufacturer of the GPUs while still being only months behind the two leaders in the GPU market in their level of OpenGL status is not that bad.

Apple is the leader in OpenCL development with AMD right behind. Nvidia happens to have the weakest support for OpenCL from them directly--they don't support both CPU cores and GPU cores like Apple and AMD.
post #127 of 173
I really like this update. OS X is starting to get "that feel" again, when everything starts to feel solid and predictable.

And am I imagining it or has font rendering changed slightly (for the better)? I didn't see it mentioned on the Apple changes list.
post #128 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

When u say snappier, what do u mean? whats faster?
anyone that's downloaded the update can answer this question
Thanks

Most of the time it means nothing! It's simply a running joke that you will find at a lot of Mac enthusiast sites. Every time Apple releases an update for it's OS a bunch of people will post "It's snappier". Most times it's nothing but sometimes as in this case theres probably some real truth to it.
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Reply
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Reply
post #129 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're going to love this...

I thought the update problem I'm having was something to do with display support.

Uh uh... nope...

Safari is not playing nice with flash.

The Flash ads in Safari are causing my iMac to fritz.

Never ever happened in 2 1/2 years until this update.

Beware!

The things that come to mind here are as follows:

Do you have Click to Flash installed?

Is it up to date?

Are Safari and Flash up to date?

Have you tried uninstalling Flash?

Personally I try to contain flash as much as possible. By that I mean I use Click to Flash and only view flash data when absolutely required.

Also I do hope you are online reporting this to Apple. There is no doubt there could be other issues like bad drivers or drivers that use hardware in a way that fails due hardware issues.

So far with an early 2008 MBP I'm doing pretty good. You probably don't want to hear that right now but so of the improvements have already become obvious. The first noticeable regression is that boot ups seem to take longer.

Dave
post #130 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldn't say it's always to feel superior. I do it, but I'm also prone to do crazy things to my system that i feel requires the extra precaution, though it's probably more paranoia from some catastrophic issue we had a long, long time ago.

All I did was unplug my iTunes disk and went for it. No prep other than getting to a WiFi spot.

I look at it this way good practice will protect you if you end up having to start from scratch. Thus important stuff is on back up stores, including Flash, me.com and CDROMs.

I do this even though I have a rather involved collection of software installed. The reality is most of that software comes form the net anyways, so if the system needs a rebuild we get fresh versions of everything.


Dave
post #131 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Sorry, but the move from OpenGL 2.1 -> 3.0 for Apple or even Nvidia/AMD is much harder than the leap from OpenGL 3.0 to OpenGL 3.2 which is the general release current for both Nvidia and AMD.

I'd imagine Apple will either roll out an OS X 10.6.4 sooner rather than later that addresses the issues they held off for this release or they will issue a security update with the complete OpenGL 3.0 and one could surmise that OpenGL 3.2 drivers probably after WWDC, wouldn't be far behind.

The fact that Apple isn't the manufacturer of the GPUs while still being only months behind the two leaders in the GPU market in their level of OpenGL status is not that bad.

Apple is the leader in OpenCL development with AMD right behind. Nvidia happens to have the weakest support for OpenCL from them directly--they don't support both CPU cores and GPU cores like Apple and AMD.

I'd imagine the hold up for OpenGL 3.x support in OS X is not GPU drivers themselves, which can see code share from ATI and nVidia's Windows/Linux drivers which are already at OpenGL 3.2, but more Apple needing time to write their software renderer. Unlike Windows, OS X seems to have a very comprehensive software renderer that usually seems to more forward looking in terms of OpenGL support than the GPU drivers themselves. For instance, when 10.4 Tiger first launched the software renderer already had full OpenGL 2.0 support whereas the top GPU drivers were originally only OpenGL 1.5 complaint. With 10.5 Leopard it is an OpenGL 2.1 software renderer with GPU drivers only officially supporting OpenGL 2.0, and in 10.6 Snow Leopard it seems to be OpenGL 2.1 software renderer with at best still OpenGL 2.1 GPU drivers.

For the software renderer to serve it's purpose as a fallback, it obviously needs to have capabilities that exceed the feature set of the best GPU drivers, so I'd expect we'd need to see a fully OpenGL 3.x compliant software renderer before we see OpenGL 3.x drivers for the GPU themselves. Interestingly, I don't believe Apple has ever updated their software renderer to a new OpenGL version using free system updates, they've always come with a new OS, so hopefully that isn't a bad sign for full OpenGL 3.x support in Snow Leopard.
post #132 of 173
Third time unlucky, installing the update after I did a full verify/repair permissions, again it outputs an error....

I am going for the combo now, thanks for the heads up.

edit: first attempt at downloading the combo, and in the downloads window I get operation could not be completed SafariErrorDomain Error 1, hmmmmm....let's go again...

edit2: ok finaly got it to work, kept getting the same dload error for safari so I used my trusted opera. And the combo pointed out to me that soundflower used an extension not supported. So I am up and running, and the setup assistant launched too on start up.

I am however seeing a couple of blue screens that were not there before (one before start up, the other after the apple logo goes away and before launching the desktop).

Also when I restarted I got a sync conflict immediately from ical that I clicked on to resolve.
post #133 of 173
Updated all 3 of my computers and it all went smoothly with no issues. OpenGL performance (according to XBench test) is now 2 times better for all 3 computers and comes within 95% of Leopard performance numbers I have seen for my Mac Pro (don't have the stats for other computers).

Overall great update.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #134 of 173
I updated last night, and other than Smart Scroll breaking (a fix tomorrow according to the developer), everything seems ship-shape and Bristol fashion. I'm quite surprised my Canon LBP2900 printer still works, as I have to install crazy Japanese bundles that break at each update. I do notice that Time machine is a wee bit different in its backing up: rather than quoting a percentage figure for backing up, it now starts a count up of the number of items that will be done. After the 700mb+ update yesterday, it is now dealing with 33,000 items, that weigh in at 2.5gb.
post #135 of 173
...that will be smooth...
post #136 of 173
Fixed the problem...

Didn't have to reinstall OS X. I just don't open Safari anymore and all is well.

Firefox forever now.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #137 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Fixed the problem...

Didn't have to reinstall OS X. I just don't open Safari anymore and all is well.

Firefox forever now.

That is a working around, not a fix. If the problem is with Safari, have you tried reinstalling Safari?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #138 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not. I've been using both QT7 and QTX with SL since QTX was first released in the Betas. I have never had it take 30x as long as since SL was officially released QTX has been faster for encoding than QT7 ever was or could be due to HW acceleration. I use QTX often, nearly daily, for cropping video and only use QT7 now if I need to quickly join a few.

What are the specs of your system? Perhaps you are re-encoding with QTX but only changing out the container for .MOV in QT7 when saving.. That would explain the variance.

I just did a Save As QucikTime Movie in both versions with a 250MB 1080p music video. It took me 19secs in QT7 and 15secs in QTX. That is just for a container change from MP4 to MOV while keeping the same codecs.

Did the test last night and timed it; 3 minutes to save a streamed Trailer in QuickTime X, and 5 seconds to save it in QuickTime 7. Doing a little digging, I realize now what's happening: QuickTime X isn't caching the trailer after it finishes downloading, so when you go to save it the reason it takes 3 minutes is because it's re-downloading the whole damn thing again. Dumb. Here are other people experiencing the same issue:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/8212...very-slow.html

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....68224&tstart=0

I created a new user account to see if I would experience the same issue there, and did.
post #139 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I agree. This is a Mac.

Besides, I did back-up my system, Time Machine runs constantly, and I have checked my system at least a couple of times since I installed snow leopard 6 months ago with absolutely zero problems showing. I don't call this "preparation" for an update. This is just sop.

This is the third time since I updated this afternoon that the computer just quit on me except the last time the screen went to black... no more blue and pink... and it's still running.

So... beware. This update could cause serious problems for you.

Seriously, Dude. Give it a rest.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #140 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Backing up via Time Machine first off. This will be good to get some improvements. I'm glad they took their time in releasing this.

Good luck.

I just installed 10.6.3 and Time Machine stopped taking backups and my backup disk was not able to be repaired using Disk Utility.

Could be coincidental as I have had quite a few Time Machine backup issues with Snow leopard and have been forced to re built the back up disk at least once a month.

Am now re building the backup from scratch again, hoping that new version of the OS really does have some stability improvements.

In case anyone is wondering, I do have the latest Firmware for my Firewire LaCie disk
post #141 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is a working around, not a fix. If the problem is with Safari, have you tried reinstalling Safari?

Yes. Thank you.

... but I'm being told to give it a rest.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #142 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

...
Yes, you need to prepare for any update you apply to your system. How do you know your hard drive doesn't have issues that would foul up an update? How do you know your system is healthy and not corrupted? Applying any update to a system of unknown stability is asking for trouble.

He probably has bought into the myth that Macs 'just work'...
post #143 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

He probably has bought into the myth that Macs 'just work'...

Actually, this is what I found quite funny about the "prepare" advice.

As mentioned, my iMac is 2 1/2 years old and has been through 2 OS updates and several software updates. Through all of that I've had absolutely zero problems (other than what appears to be a memory leak in InDesign). I had issues with Time Machine but that "was my" fault.

In other words, my Mac just worked.

So now I have a problem with this particular update and it's "my" fault??

That statement just seemed a tad stupid to me after having disclosed my history with this computer.

I will give it a rest now, but, just to let you know, another Mac site seems to have more tolerant members who are allowed to have problems and it seems that there are quite a few, there are well over 500 comments with many of those comments diagnosing various ailments... so, beware (and, I guess, prepare).
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #144 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

He probably has bought into the myth that Macs 'just work'...

Well, when you shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre, you get what you get.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #145 of 173
Graphics glitches seem to be gone, but memory management is still absolute garbage under Snowy. Still experiencing pageouts galore. Really beginning to hate Snow Leopard. Remember when Snow Leopard was about optimizing and streamling? Hahaha...what a joke. Maybe the once the iPad is established Apple will find some time to actually address the fundamentals again.

Yeah, it's all my fault, and this thread is a figment of my imagination...http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...art=0&tstart=0
post #146 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, this is what I found quite funny about the "prepare" advice.

As mentioned, my iMac is 2 1/2 years old and has been through 2 OS updates and several software updates. Through all of that I've had absolutely zero problems (other than what appears to be a memory leak in InDesign). I had issues with Time Machine but that "was my" fault.

In other words, my Mac just worked.

So now I have a problem with this particular update and it's "my" fault??

That statement just seemed a tad stupid to me after having disclosed my history with this computer.

I will give it a rest now, but, just to let you know, another Mac site seems to have more tolerant members who are allowed to have problems and it seems that there are quite a few, there are well over 500 comments with many of those comments diagnosing various ailments... so, beware (and, I guess, prepare).

My apologies if my statement came across as overly harsh.

My point being that you did not appear to be approaching your computer problem in any sort of reasonable fashion. It was more "hit or miss".

Then, we others here tried to help you, your response wasn't all that appreciative.

I doubt anyone here, me included, has any axe to grind with you. But you do need to take some responsibility if your own actions, or lack of them, cause you grief.

Macs do "just work", but it helps to follow directions.

You never did respond regarding another's suggestion to try the Combo download. This often corrects problems hiding in older installs, and is often the best way to correct issues.

So, is it all good now?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #147 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You answered my question. If you simply downloaded the update and applied it without running Disk Utility to at least check the condition of your hard drive then you have no business complaining about any problems you may have. If you failed to make a backup of your data you have no business complaining about problems either.

Yes, you need to prepare for any update you apply to your system. How do you know your hard drive doesn't have issues that would foul up an update? How do you know your system is healthy and not corrupted? Applying any update to a system of unknown stability is asking for trouble.

I second that.
Never had any problem with an update.
I update 10.6.3 Combo. Granted, first start, I had a funny display.
I shut down the Mac, made a restart, it chimed twice, and here you go.
Works flawlessly.

PS : I run Onyx twice a month. May be useful.
post #148 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

My apologies if my statement came across as overly harsh.

My point being that you did not appear to be approaching your computer problem in any sort of reasonable fashion. It was more "hit or miss".

Then, we others here tried to help you, your response wasn't all that appreciative.

I doubt anyone here, me included, has any axe to grind with you. But you do need to take some responsibility if your own actions, or lack of them, cause you grief.

Macs do "just work", but it helps to follow directions.

You never did respond regarding another's suggestion to try the Combo download. This often corrects problems hiding in older installs, and is often the best way to correct issues.

So, is it all good now?

Actually, I did answer all questions and I did say thank you to the people who actually helped me and I did mention that I tried the combo update and I acknowledged anyone who gave me a tip to try.

I did not understand the "prepare" statement because, to me, that is standard operating procedure; you always keep your Mac backed-up and you check every once in a while to see if all is fine in your computer. Everything was operating smoothly until this update. As noted: everything worked smoothly through 2 OS changes and several software updates... and yet, somehow, I'm not acting responsibly and it's "my" fault. I don't think you would appreciate that comment either.

All is good as long as I don't open Safari.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #149 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, I did answer all questions and I did say thank you to the people who actually helped me and I did mention that I tried the combo update and I acknowledged anyone who gave me a tip to try.

I did not understand the "prepare" statement because, to me, that is standard operating procedure; you always keep your Mac backed-up and you check every once in a while to see if all is fine in your computer. Everything was operating smoothly until this update. As noted: everything worked smoothly through 2 OS changes and several software updates... and yet, somehow, I'm not acting responsibly and it's "my" fault. I don't think you would appreciate that comment either.

All is good as long as I don't open Safari.

Before and after every update (software, OS, whatever), you should at least repair permissions.
Period.
post #150 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I would expect everyone at the AI forum to tell me they have never heard of such problems.

I hate to sound harsh, but did you read my response to your posting? It's no doubt that any computer can have problems, but you didn't come into this clearly stating what you'd done to try and fix the problem until now. A lot of little things in the computer have to work properly for your operating system and programs to run properly. If any one something fails, the results can be bewildering failures.

I did suggest that your computer's hardware may be faulty. I suggested some things to check as well (if memory serves). I think (meaning "strongly suggest") you should run the hardware tests for your computer (if you have them--late model machines may not ship with the Apple Hardware Test tool) or take it to either Apple or a qualified Apple dealer that you trust. Or you could call Apple on the phone.

Furthermore, something I didn't suggest: have you checked the power your computer is getting? Is your computer plugged into an undamaged outlet that isn't sharing a circuit with lots of other devices? Can you take it somewhere else and plug it in to see if the bad behavior persists?

Bad hardware will cause extremely strange computer behavior, so you ought to take this possibility seriously.
post #151 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarborGuy View Post

I wonder how much the "OpenGL Improvements" will help out Valve's games via Steam coming next month.

approx NaN%

post #152 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No one needs to "beware". Your system is corrupted. You did it to yourself by not taking any steps to ensure your system was healthy before applying the update. You may have to re-install OS X to clear your troubles. The 10.6.3 update is NOT the source of your troubles. You are.

I'm actually having a similar problem. I can't properly view Adobe's website or Google's Analytics anymore!!

Does this Adobe page render correctly for you?
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #153 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm actually having a similar problem. I can't properly view Adobe's website or Google's Analytics anymore!!

Don't listen to these guys who tell you that you are the problem. He just assumed that I didn't do all of the necessary steps.

The problem does seem to be with Flash.

I reinstalled Flash, reinstalled Safari, disconnected my second display, disconnected my printer, fixed privileges (a few times), checked my drive, and then, after all of that, I reinstalled SL. All was fine. Downloaded the new update (combo version). Blap!!

So, the update is running into something. Drivers, fonts... who the hell knows... but it doesn't just work!
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #154 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

but it doesn't just work!

Well, here, it does.
post #155 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

Well, here, it does.

I can only wish that I was you.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #156 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I can only wish that I was you.

Not so difficult : erase-install and it will be fine.
Or do try Onyx.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english/apps.html
post #157 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

Not so difficult : erase-install and it will be fine.
Or do try Onyx.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english/apps.html

I'm not sure if Onyx fixed my problem but my iMac "seems" snappier after a clean.

If it blaps again then I will do a wipe and install.

Thanks.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #158 of 173
Has anyone else experience an issue changing the Time Capsule network password after updating to Snow Leopard 10.6.3? If so did you find a work around? After the update I'm no longer able to change the Time Capsule network password when accessing it from Airport Utility. The utility will say that Time Capsule has updated the network password to the new one but when I check keychain it shows the old password. I tried resolving this by deleting the original keychain then changing it again in Airport Utility but it still shows the old password in the keychain and Airport Utility when I reopen the app.
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Reply
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Reply
post #159 of 173
Onyx is a good solution for those odd issues.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #160 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

Before and after every update (software, OS, whatever), you should at least repair permissions.
Period.

I never understood this. How Disk Utility is supposed to know about eventual new permissions coming with a system update? Can anyone explain this to me and if applying permissions repair as part of the update is risk-free, before saying it is recommended? For now, this looks to me like nothing more than a kind of voodoo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.3 with QuickTime X, OpenGL improvements