or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple offers guided tours of iPad software with new videos

Apple offers guided tours of iPad software with new videos - Page 3

post #81 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Email Steve. Apparently, he's been responding to emails, albeit curtly. But in your case, that would do: yes or no!

I think it's sjobs@apple.com

That's not the address I used.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #82 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I'd like to know if iPad users will be able to share documents directly with their Mac, i.e. without having to give Apple a copy via iDisk.

There will be a shared document folder for each app, which can be accessed wirelessly from a computer.
post #83 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I sounds like you want to use the ePub format for something it is not designed to support. It is not for complex layouts and it only supports a subset of CSS2 as described in the OPS CSS 2.0 part of the ePub specification. The main "feature" or property of ePub files is their capability to adjust to different screen sizes from feature phones to 30" displays and repaginate as needed. This does not go along with complex layouts, as there is really no layout that would work for all screen sizes. ePub is for text and maybe a single image here and there; not much else.

You may confuse the iPad demos from WSJ, NYT and some magazines with what ePub/iBooks can do? None of them is using ePub and none of them will be viewed through iBooks. They all use custom applications doing their own rendering and using own file formats. If you want to bring complex documents to the iPad, the options are PDF, HTML+CSS and/or a custom app, not iBooks. Actually using a PDF and adding some navigation features to it (add some buttons using Acrobat Pro or PDFpen) might be the easiest solution.

There was a discussion quite awhile ago about iPad being suitable for digital text books. That is what I'm attempting to achieve.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #84 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post

One of the things I'm looking for is a PDF viewer. While apple doesn't seem to be supplying a good one, I'm going to start with the PDF viewer in 'Papers'. I use Papers on my mac, and the Papers for iphone ($9.00) will synch with the mac papers' library and, my guess is that it will fill the bill.

If it doesn't, I'll be shocked if there aren't many alternatives, either thru apple or 3rd party apps.

The iPad is a device that is not even version 1. No one has seen apps written specifically for it. it should be flexible and fun.

There are many file manager apps that can view PDF files. The iPhone OS natively supports PDF viewing meaning all developers are using the same viewing API. Furthermore, the iPad will offer built in PDF generation, which will also need to be utilized by app developers.
post #85 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm planning on taking the iPad along on a cruise in May, for reading books and viewing our photos, and reading e-mail. I'm going to bet that nobody on the ship will tell me I'm an uncool loser, but that a lot of people will ask "is that an iPad?"

Either way, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Hey, your talking to the crowd here.

Everyone who is a early adopter gets the "oh, is that a X?" attention, myself included, it's what they think of you based upon the impression they get from the device that is the factor.

When people walk away from watching my MacBook Pro run 5 operating systems at once, I know they are very impressed, they begin asking me questions and even want me to work for them.

Your going to be fielding more questions of what the iPad can't do than what it can do because people are going to erroneously believe the device is a regular strength computer in tablet form.

The kids will be impressed, if your that sort that craves their attention. Older folks usually found on cruises have most entered that stop learning phase years ago, good luck making a impression on them, their fingers are usually too cold to register on touchscreens and their eyes are shot all to hell.

By the way, the salt air is going to do a number on that screen and the metal case, keep it inside and protected from any open doors seaside.
post #86 of 125
Can Safari on iPhone display PDFs?
post #87 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida View Post

Can Safari on iPhone display PDFs?

Yep, since day one. PDF is an open format that is widely supported.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #88 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There was a discussion quite awhile ago about iPad being suitable for digital text books. That is what I'm attempting to achieve.

Yeah, got that. The iPad is suitable because of its screen size, processing power, storage space, etc. But Apple is not providing a framework or tools to make it happen. Months ago people were expecting that Apple will release a reader app that would cover all sorts of publications (regular books, text books, magazines, comics, newspapers, etc.) - they did not do it. iBooks is a solution for plain books containing mainly text and nothing else this makes sense as Apple will likely provide readers for other devices as well (iPods, iPhones, computers). Whoever wants to bring other types of publications to the iPad, will have to package that book/paper in a custom application and do the groundwork from scratch. I am sure publishers will develop toolsets, templates, etc. If any of these will be freely available is another question though.
post #89 of 125
Well, to answer my own question: How to read any PDF on your network.

I saw a reference to reading PDFs in Safari on iPhone, which looks a bit un-user-friendly:

http://pimm.wordpress.com/2007/07/18...l-attachments/

Anyway, assuming (at least hoping) iPad has a better ability to display PDFs in Safari, do the following for each mac on your network:
1. Start Apache, and set it serve web pages starting at the root of each volume.

2. Turn on indexing, even better install AutoIndex:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/autoindex/

Now anyone connected to your network can browse to any file on any volume (unless there is an index.html file in that directory, in which case access is governed by the index.html file).

You can also access a PDF using the URL (assuming you have fixed IP addresses), i.e.:
http://www.10.0.1.150/macintosh%20HD...20PDF%file.pdf

It's certainly not as good as using Preview on a mac, and there might be some security issues , but it should work!
post #90 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This guy simply does not get it. Ask Foo2 to explain it to you.

Whoo Foo2?
post #91 of 125
Quote:

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Nah, I can see that it flew right past.

To quote someone, MOAN, MOAN, MOAN MOAN,......

ugh.
post #92 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Hey, your talking to the crowd here.

Everyone who is a early adopter gets the "oh, is that a X?" attention, myself included, it's what they think of you based upon the impression they get from the device that is the factor.

When people walk away from watching my MacBook Pro run 5 operating systems at once, I know they are very impressed, they begin asking me questions and even want me to work for them.

Your going to be fielding more questions of what the iPad can't do than what it can do because people are going to erroneously believe the device is a regular strength computer in tablet form.

The kids will be impressed, if your that sort that craves their attention. Older folks usually found on cruises have most entered that stop learning phase years ago, good luck making a impression on them, their fingers are usually too cold to register on touchscreens and their eyes are shot all to hell.

By the way, the salt air is going to do a number on that screen and the metal case, keep it inside and protected from any open doors seaside.

God, you're annoying.

Well, two weeks of rave reviews and record sales should be enough to shut you up....

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #93 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

The videos are very well done.
But I still can't imagine to hold this device all the time for watching a movie. And because Keynote only works in landscape how am I supposed to write? If it lays down flat on my lap it seems to be uncomfortable to look at.

Did you also know that the iPad's screen is very likely to crack, if you bash it with a heavy frying pan?

Apple really should have thought this through.
post #94 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post

The Keynote video does not show two features I'm hoping are still there:

1. the ability to draw over the image with your finger

2. the ability to use your finger as a pointer.

I'm hoping this was an oversight in making the demo, and they remain as features.

It does that, I saw it in one of the hands-on videos
post #95 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

God, you're annoying.

To be more accurate to his fractured grammar, it should be "God, your annoying."

Which completely changes the meaning, in an amusing way.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #96 of 125
Quote:

Your going to be fielding more questions of what the iPad can't do than what it can do because people are going to erroneously believe the device is a regular strength computer in tablet form

apparantly you're one of the few who expect that. Most think it's simply a larger iPod touch and will be amazed at how much more functionality the larger screen and new custom software provides.
post #97 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida View Post

Well, to answer my own question: How to read any PDF on your network.

I saw a reference to reading PDFs in Safari on iPhone, which looks a bit un-user-friendly:

http://pimm.wordpress.com/2007/07/18...l-attachments/

Anyway, assuming (at least hoping) iPad has a better ability to display PDFs in Safari, do the following for each mac on your network:
1. Start Apache, and set it serve web pages starting at the root of each volume.

2. Turn on indexing, even better install AutoIndex:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/autoindex/

Now anyone connected to your network can browse to any file on any volume (unless there is an index.html file in that directory, in which case access is governed by the index.html file).

You can also access a PDF using the URL (assuming you have fixed IP addresses), i.e.:
http://www.10.0.1.150/macintosh%20HD...20PDF%file.pdf

It's certainly not as good as using Preview on a mac, and there might be some security issues , but it should work!

Man that link is from 2007!! Before there was even an app store.

Just use one of the available apps. There are many apps that allow you to access network drive. Just search "server browsing" in iTunes.
post #98 of 125
Quote:

a lot of people will ask "is that an iPad?"

You will be the absolute coolest person on the whole ship! And it took only one purchase!
post #99 of 125
Quote:

Just got done with all the videos, the last few were the hardest to watch.

I'm cool, I'm hard, I'm a power user. I run 4 or 5 operating systems at once if I wish on my MacBook Pro. I avoid iLife like the plague, "Pro" apps is what I use if I need it.

The iPad and it's sickening lameness, is NOT for me. Ever.

God, I want to fscking puke.

I can't see anyone who wants to be cool being caught dead with a iPad.

It's the ultimate lame device, even my high school kid agrees.

And it's looking like one has little choice but, being the iPad isn't a open device.

that I ignored you. Really. That was just lame. And tired. And repetitive. Did I mention repetitive?
post #100 of 125
Quote:

About printing as fas as I know your impression is incorrect. Having to buy an app (and they don't tend to be free) to print is fundamentally wrong. Not to mention if you have the "wrong" printer it simply won't work.

There should be a contextual option called "Print" and it then downloads the "exact" driver for that printer - taking up minimal space on the device. But that's too much to ask, from a company where things "just work". Printing on the iPhone and iPad doesn't "just work", and if you've the wrong model of printer it "won't work", no matter that you do. Regardless of bonjour or wireless.

Besides even if it DID work. Having to download an app to print, is, like I say, ridiculous.

So there is the free app PrinterShare out there... and since we don't know how Apple has set-up the iWorks apps on the iPad to do this basic functionality - I guess we wait until Saturday to find out now don't we?
post #101 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmack View Post

Is it just me or does everyone in a video showing someone using an iPad look like they need to sit in some awkward way just to be comfortable holding it? Obviously only a lucky few have used the device and time will tell what it is like to use, but it does make me wonder how comfortable it is to use.

So this begs the question, did Apple just create a device that only Steve Jobs can use comfortably?

Seriously, given Apple's track record with ergonomics, can this really be an issue? Given the amount of time that they have used them internally and all, surely this would have come up in a conversation with Jobso: " hey Steve why is your arm locked at the elbow and your hand shaking so badly?" Or "hey Phil, when do I get an overstuffed armchair in my office to iPad with hunh?"
post #102 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I did notice that the Keynote video did not mention that I could export to PPT (it only mentioned KN and PDF).

That's because it won't.

On the Mac all the iWork apps export to their MS Office counterparts, but on the iPad only one of them will. Pages exports to Word, but Keynote does NOT export to PowerPoint, and Numbers does NOT export to Excel.
post #103 of 125
Quote:

Can you advise how to format a scientific publication for iPad? Thanks.

but I thought I'd give it a go:

http://indesignsecrets.com/from-inde...conference.php

http://www.fastcompany.com//1598347/...adobe-indesign

for the printing discussion:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...light=printing

Just for starters of course....
post #104 of 125
Was hoping for some humor along the lines of Python's Holy Grail - when a gorilla hand grabs the origonal page-turner and takes over. YouTube parody PLEASE!
post #105 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

there is no iPad Interactive Publishing Authoring Software Kit at this point so they'll have to use what they've been using until they or someone makes one.

Gotta wonder what Adobe is thinking about this... how can they expand their publishing software to work brilliantly with the iPad. Should they expand Illustrator or Flash, to produce a book..oops... to produce an iPad app that does more than ePub can offer.

It surprises me that Apple doesn't have an application to make books. And that the iBook reader doesn't support some more sophisticated format. Perhaps the 2 will come together - but when that happens, I'd use Adobe with support for multiple platforms if I had the choice.
post #106 of 125
Nice, well produced videos. The iTunes and iBook apps look compelling.

Watching the videos, it looks like it could get quite annoying always turning the device this way and that. I wonder if they should not have made landscape the default orientation, or the only orientation.
post #107 of 125
Quote:

To be more accurate to his fractured grammar, it should be "God, your annoying."

Which completely changes the meaning, in an amusing way.

I think that certainly is amusing! And a very good 'playing with words'
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #108 of 125
Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something here. What authoring environment does someone use to created complex layouts because inDesign isn't cutting it for me?

AFAIK, ePub does not support precission layout and is therefore not well suited for technical books/comics, but rather textbooks like novels which rely mainly in free flowing text and some ocasional picture. But I might be wrong.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #109 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You'll need to provide a trusted authority before I believe data are encrypted on Apple's iDisk servers. I know the communications can be encrypted (using https), but I believe iDisk communications can also be unencrypted (using http) and I don't believe the stored data are encrypted at all on Apple's servers--unless what you put there was already encrypted.

This isn't any different than most on-line services, but that doesn't mean any of them should be trusted.

Reasons why I don't upload anything private. All I've got in my Dropbox are a crapload of Med School notes. If anyone wants to steal them, they're more than welcome...lol

Anyone who puts their bank info into their iDisk/Dropbox/whatever, deserves what they get...
post #110 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

So there is the free app PrinterShare out there...

Yeah, it didn't work with my HP printer.
post #111 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Apple or someone needs to make a dock/arm that can let the iPad be in either portrait or landscape mode. Otherwise, one can't dock and use Keynote with the keyboard.

This would be really great. Not sure why Apple didn't simply add a couple of side clip/holders to the keyboard dock mounted to a rotating bracket in the center of the back. That way you could dock it in portrait mode and then simply turn the iPad in the dock sideways for landscape use. It would obviously add a bit of bulk to the keyboard dock, but the increased functionality would so be worth it.
post #112 of 125
Quote:

I'm planning on taking the iPad along on a cruise in May, for reading books and viewing our photos, and reading e-mail. I'm going to bet that nobody on the ship will tell me I'm an uncool loser, but that a lot of people will ask "is that an iPad?"

How funny... The wife and I are also taking a cruise in May and will be taking our iPad along for similar reasons. I also figure it will be great to watch movies on during the plane rides there and back. I have a feeling that you're also right on the curiosity about the device.

On a related note... The guy who originally posted this said that he teenage son agreed with him? He seems afraid of seeming uncool? Sounds like the poster is probably the teenage son.
post #113 of 125
Quote:

Makes sense. At least someone like you can provide a little perspective without saying: "actually you can do that". Thank you.

You would think 3 years in though, they would have addressed something as fundamental as printing. Now that the iPad is here you'll hear more clamoring for printing built into the OS I think.

The automatic downloading of the right driver when you try to print to the office or home printer would be the ultimate solution:

We have found a "HP 2600n Color laser jet" printer nearby, if you would like to download the require software to print to this printer tap "Ok". Otherwise tap "Cancel". And when you did tap Ok the driver would install directly.

Sure, it would take work on Apple's part for it to work this seamlessly, but it would work so fittingly it seems like the only solution to me.

I could be missing something here, but has there really been a huge need for printing from the iPhone? I imagine that this would be quite useful for some individuals, but for the general user? Out of the dozen or so people I know who have an iPhone, I've never had the topic of printing from the phone come up.

Now, I think this is a completely different animal for the iPad. I agree that printing should definitely be integrated into the OS now, and network shares too. I just think that these are features that are just now coming to the table in a significant way. It would not surprise me at all to find both of these items built into OS 4 this summer. I for one am crossing my fingers.
post #114 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

How funny... The wife and I are also taking a cruise in May and will be taking our iPad along for similar reasons. I also figure it will be great to watch movies on during the plane rides there and back. I have a feeling that you're also right on the curiosity about the device.

On a related note... The guy who originally posted this said that he teenage son agreed with him? He seems afraid of seeming uncool? Sounds like the poster is probably the teenage son.

Ha-ha. Probably. Good observation!
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #115 of 125
One of the interesting features in the keynote app originally presented on the date of the iPad unveiling was the virtual laser pointer that you could use while presenting hooked to a projector. There is no mention of it in the guided tour. Any clues?
post #116 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

How funny... The wife and I are also taking a cruise in May and will be taking our iPad along for similar reasons.

Quote:

Ha-ha. Probably. Good observation!

I've seen plenty of Kindles on cruises in the last couple years. Plenty around the pool in the sun. I would expect you'll see more iPads than eInk devices, even in May, but I wonder how it'll fare in the directly sunlight while wearing sunglasses.
post #117 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've seen plenty of Kindles on cruises in the last couple years. Plenty around the pool in the sun. I would expect you'll see more iPads than eInk devices, even in May, but I wonder how it'll fare in the directly sunlight while wearing sunglasses.

Our last cruise was in October. I don't recall seeing any Kindles, but then it was a Mexico cruise, which is more about drinking than reading.

I hope I'll get the thing in time. My shipping status now shows an "exception" which I take it means in UPS-speak that it has been held up for some reason, they aren't going to tell me why, and they don't know when I'm going to receive it.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #118 of 125
Have to admit I was a bit surprised to hear in the video that Pages CAN BE PURCHASED via the App Store.

Would it have been that difficult to actually include this program in the bundle with the iPad? Would Apple have taken that big of a financial hit to include a necessary bit of software?

The "nickel and dime" routine is a bit tiresome.
post #119 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGr View Post

Have to admit I was a bit surprised to hear in the video that Pages CAN BE PURCHASED via the App Store.

Would it have been that difficult to actually include this program in the bundle with the iPad? Would Apple have taken that big of a financial hit to include a necessary bit of software?

The "nickel and dime" routine is a bit tiresome.

I think "nickel-and-diming" would be to charge 99¢ for the YouTube, Maps, Stocks, etc. Charging $10 for each app is somewhat out of that league compared to most apps.

Plus, I don't see why Pages would be NECESSARY for the iPad, and if you think so, why Numbers and Keynote are not necessary and therefore okay to sell.
post #120 of 125
Quote:

You'll definitely get gawkers. I remember when the original iPhone came out and a month later I went on a cruise around the Baltic. EVERYONE (including TSA at the airports) commented or asked about it. It was kinda cool at first, but got old after a week.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple offers guided tours of iPad software with new videos