or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 9.1 with support for iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iTunes 9.1 with support for iPad

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
With a few short days before Apple's iPad goes on sale to the masses in the U.S., Apple has released iTunes 9.1 bringing the ability to sync with the new device.

The update is available direct from Apple or via Software Update. It weighs in at 102.1MB. iTunes 9.1, according to Apple, has "several new features and improvements," including the ability to:

Sync with iPad to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on the go
Organize and sync books you've downloaded from iBooks on iPad or added to your iTunes library
Rename, rearrange, or remove Genius Mixes
On Monday, details of iTunes 9.1 were revealed, as the new software replaces the existing "Audiobooks" section in the iTunes Source list with the more broad "Books" category. Users will can sort and sync books they purchase through the iBookstore on the iPad when connected to the iTunes desktop client via a USB cable.

The update also improves the "Genius Mixes" feature introduced with iTunes 9 last September. The feature automatically creates a playlist of content using the results of over 27 million music libraries featuring more than 54 billion songs submitted and analyzed by Genius.<

The last update for iTunes, version 9.0.3, came in early February. It provided a number of bug fixes, including the resolution of problems recognizing when an iPod is connected and issues with syncing some smart playlists and podcasts.

Last October, iTunes 9.0.2 added compatibility with the Apple TV 3.0 update, allowing users to share their content with the set top box device. The update also disabled the ability of the Palm Pre to sync with the iTunes desktop client.

Also released Tuesday was QuickTime 7.6.6 for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Windows 7, Vista, and XP. It features a number of security-related fixes and can be downloaded direct from Apple.
post #2 of 45
What about an iPad app catagory? Or are the iPad apps just mixed in with iPhone/ iPod apps?
post #3 of 45
Looking forward to synching my iPad with iTunes.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
post #4 of 45
Option booted from my Leopard Clone on a external hard drive.

Leopard users are not left out in the iPhad cold, in case anyone is concerned.

Quicktime 7 gets a update to 7.6.6 too.
post #5 of 45
I have to wonder if iTunes will become Apples Mac OS e-book reader. I'm busy now, will have to download later. Right now though I could easily leverage a Mac e-book reader that works with Apples new store.

In other words I'm not rushing out to buy an iPad


Dave
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With a few short days before Apple's iPad goes on sale to the masses in the U.S., Apple has released iTunes 9.1 bringing the ability to sync with the new device.

The update is available direct from Apple or via Software Update. It weighs in at 102.1MB. iTunes 9.1, according to Apple, has "several new features and improvements," including the ability to:

Sync with iPad to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on the go
Organize and sync books you've downloaded from iBooks on iPad or added to your iTunes library
Rename, rearrange, or remove Genius Mixes
On Monday, details of iTunes 9.1 were revealed, as the new software replaces the existing "Audiobooks" section in the iTunes Source list with the more broad "Books" category. Users will can sort and sync books they purchase through the iBookstore on the iPad when connected to the iTunes desktop client via a USB cable.

The update also improves the "Genius Mixes" feature introduced with iTunes 9 last September. The feature automatically creates a playlist of content using the results of over 27 million music libraries featuring more than 54 billion songs submitted and analyzed by Genius.<

The last update for iTunes, version 9.0.3, came in early February. It provided a number of bug fixes, including the resolution of problems recognizing when an iPod is connected and issues with syncing some smart playlists and podcasts.

Last October, iTunes 9.0.2 added compatibility with the Apple TV 3.0 update, allowing users to share their content with the set top box device. The update also disabled the ability of the Palm Pre to sync with the iTunes desktop client.



This sounds like the best version of iTunes EVER.

Thanks, Steve!!!!!!!
post #7 of 45
When I click on Get iBooks in the Books category, nothing happens.
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post

When I click on Get iBooks in the Books category, nothing happens.


I havnt downloaded it yet, but I presume that that's because there's nothing in it yet, or at least no one has an iPad to read them on yet.
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post

When I click on Get iBooks in the Books category, nothing happens.

Probably isn't "active" yet.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #10 of 45
I look forward to buying my new iAppsHD and iAppsXL on Saturday. It just keeps getting better!
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post

When I click on Get iBooks in the Books category, nothing happens.

I thought iBooks was a new application?
Doesn't matter as I look forward to buying all my iBooks, iMagazines, and iNewspapers on Saturday. It's a whole new world awaiting!
post #12 of 45
I just downloaded and installed iTunes 9.1 and it still displays Audiobooks, with no mention of "Books." Where are you seeing this new category?
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Greenwald View Post

I just downloaded and installed iTunes 9.1 and it still displays Audiobooks, with no mention of "Books." Where are you seeing this new category?

Mine says Books. Did you verify that you are running v9.1 by going to About iTunes?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mine says Books. Did you verify that you are running v9.1 by going to About iTunes?

Yes. I also selected "Check for Updates" and it said I'm using the most current version.

Is the "source list" the left-hand column of the screen (that contains Playlists, etc.)? If so, there is not even an Audiobooks category there possibly because I don't have any. Or is the source list the top horizontal menu bar of the iTunes Store? There the label still reads "Audiobooks."
post #15 of 45
You can also drag-and-drop epub books to iTunes. They show up in your iTunes library and you can edit their metadata. Unfortunately, there is no reader functionality.
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Greenwald View Post

Yes. I also selected "Check for Updates" and it said I'm using the most current version.

Is the "source list" the left-hand column of the screen (that contains Playlists, etc.)? If so, there is not even an Audiobooks category there possibly because I don't have any. Or is the source list the top horizontal menu bar of the iTunes Store? There the label still reads "Audiobooks."

I am in Canada and only see Audiobooks. Any chance this is country-specific?
post #17 of 45
Never mind. I switched the app store country to USA and didn't see any difference - still says Audiobooks....
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Greenwald View Post

Yes. I also selected "Check for Updates" and it said I'm using the most current version.

Is the "source list" the left-hand column of the screen (that contains Playlists, etc.)? If so, there is not even an Audiobooks category there possibly because I don't have any. Or is the source list the top horizontal menu bar of the iTunes Store? There the label still reads "Audiobooks."

check your preferences. I had audiobooks turned off as a library category.

if that's not the case, try taking one of your music tracks and relabeling the media type to be audiobook and see if that makes the category appear.
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propofol View Post

I am in Canada and only see Audiobooks. Any chance this is country-specific?

iTunes and the iTunes Store are two completely different things. The update is for iTunes.

You'll see the new 'Books' category in the source list (the left-hand column where your playlists are listed). If you don't see the 'Books' category you have it turned off. Turn it on by going to Preferences and clicking the box next to 'Books.'

The iTunes Store will not show an iBooks category because iBooks can only be read on an iPad. iBooks are only available through the iBookstore on the iPad. You'll need to download the free iBooks app on the iPad to shop the iBookstore and read iBooks.
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I have to wonder if iTunes will become Apples Mac OS e-book reader.

The note in the new "Books" section in your iTunes Library says: "To play an audiobook, just double-click it. To read a book, sync it to an iPad."

Apple could change that line after the iBooks Store goes live, obviously, but I'm not optimistic that they intend for iTunes to function as a book reader.

I'm sure the licensing agreements between Apple and the publishers makes clear whether iTunes can or can't display downloaded books.
post #21 of 45
Is the iPad currently available to the "non-masses"?

If not, then the iPad is just going on sale, not "on sale to the masses".
post #22 of 45
The "convert higher bit songs to 128 kbps" is available when you connect your iPhone/iPod. Someone mentioned this yesterday. A connected iPhone picture also changed shows icons. The Apps section shows "iPhone/iPod Touch Apps", which probably means iPad apps will be separated within the same page.
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

This sounds like the best version of iTunes EVER.

Thanks, Steve!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

I look forward to buying my new iAppsHD and iAppsXL on Saturday. It just keeps getting better!

yeah! Nice to see some people on here finally willing to give Mr. Jobs and his wonderful company the respect they deserve!

p.s. No, you're not obvious. Really.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleep View Post

You can also drag-and-drop epub books to iTunes. They show up in your iTunes library and you can edit their metadata. Unfortunately, there is no reader functionality.

Yeah, I came to comment on that, too. I hope they add a reader to Macs soon. I hoped that the 10.6.3 update would have also updated Preview to understand EPUB, at the very least.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

This sounds like the best version of iTunes EVER.

Thanks, Steve!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

I look forward to buying my new iAppsHD and iAppsXL on Saturday. It just keeps getting better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

I thought iBooks was a new application?
Doesn't matter as I look forward to buying all my iBooks, iMagazines, and iNewspapers on Saturday. It's a whole new world awaiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

yeah! Nice to see some people on here finally willing to give Mr. Jobs and his wonderful company the respect they deserve!

p.s. No, you're not obvious. Really.


Exactly!

Really quite pathetic (but in a LMAO sort of way) -- it must kill them! Ouch, ouch, ouch.....

Lovin' it!
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

The note in the new "Books" section in your iTunes Library says: "To play an audiobook, just double-click it. To read a book, sync it to an iPad."

Apple could change that line after the iBooks Store goes live, obviously, but I'm not optimistic that they intend for iTunes to function as a book reader.

The note does not say iTunes will be a book reader so why would they change it?
As you wrote, "To read a book, sync it to an iPad."
post #27 of 45
I find it interesting that a sort-of 3rd party app the iBooks app can sync data with iTunes. It'd be nice if they expanded this to other 3rd party apps, though it'd probably clutter iTunes even more!
post #28 of 45
"Applications" in the sidebar is now "Apps".
post #29 of 45
The option for control clicking a song in iTunes and selecting "Create Ringtone" does not seem to be available anymore in the new 9.1 update. Anyone know how to get to the creating a ringtone now without doing it on the phone?
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... iTunes 9.1, according to Apple, has "several new features and improvements," including the ability to: ... Rename, rearrange, or remove Genius Mixes...

Finally! I can't believe it took them almost a year to fix this bug.

Edit: spoke too soon. It's still impossible to get rid of *all* genius mixes and the "unshow" bug remains. Oh well, at least you can get rid of all of them but one. That's something I guess.
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xam8006 View Post

The option for control clicking a song in iTunes and selecting "Create Ringtone" does not seem to be available anymore in the new 9.1 update. Anyone know how to get to the creating a ringtone now without doing it on the phone?

I create all my ringtones in GarageBand. Create a new project. Select Ringtone. Import song from iTunes and select the section you want to be the ringtone. Export to iTunes.
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post

When I click on Get iBooks in the Books category, nothing happens.

Mine still shows the Audiobooks category. Where is the Books one?
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What about an iPad app catagory? Or are the iPad apps just mixed in with iPhone/ iPod apps?

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/26/...s-app-details/
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

check your preferences. I had audiobooks turned off as a library category.

if that's not the case, try taking one of your music tracks and relabeling the media type to be audiobook and see if that makes the category appear.

Very good. I didn't think of that. Hopefully, when the iPad is hooked up, or at least when it becomes available, this will be checked as a default. Otherwise, it's going to cause problems. I can only think they did it that way because the program for the iPad must be downloaded. possibly when it's installed, it will turn it on.
post #35 of 45
Hmm, so after my 9.1 update, all of my audiobooks, which used to be sorted by genre, are now lumped into a single "audiobook" genre. At first I though it had overwritten the genre tag, but when I look at the genre info, my genre tags are still there.

I'm not sure which is worse, having Apple change all the genres (making me re-add my custom tags) or completely losing the ability to sort by genre.

I did, however, notice that there is a new "categories" tab at the top. Fortunately here my audiobooks are grouped by the info in the "genre" tag. But I still have to click within that genre to see the individual books. I've still lost the ability to view all of my audiobooks at once, sorted by genre.

So many questions have been opened: Will ePub books be sorted by genre within the "Books" tab, or will there simply be an "audiobooks" and "books" delineation? And will both audiobooks and ePub books show up in the new "categories" tab all lumped together, or will they remain separate, like in the "books" tab?

Frankly I would have preferred Apple keep audiobooks completely separate from ePub books, keeping the old audiobook sub-library and adding a separate book sub-library. For me they are such completely different formats. I have to sit down and actively read an ePub book, whereas I am usually on the road or doing chores when listening to audiobooks. I don't see why they ought to be lumped together at all. If anything, I think audiobooks have more in common with the podcasts library than the book library.

This makes more sense than having a separate iTunes U library. iTunes U contain a mix of audio and video and sometimes I forget whether something I am looking for is in sorted as a podcast, TV show or iTunes U file. In other words, iTunes U creates ambiguity in an otherwise clear-cut categorization scheme. Obviously the library is sorted out y media type, and there are obvious, clear delineations between music, movies, TV shows, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Books, and Apps. iTunes U should be a genre option within each of these mediums, whereas audiobooks and books should be separate mediums. Just my 2c.
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Greenwald View Post

I just downloaded and installed iTunes 9.1 and it still displays Audiobooks, with no mention of "Books." Where are you seeing this new category?

Are you outside the US? The iBooks store is a US exclusive.
post #37 of 45
Can anyone say whether this version is snappier? I need to know!
post #38 of 45
iTunes now gives me an error when I update apps. The apps update fine, and the old app goes into the trash, but I get an "iTunes could not complete your request" error.
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthebaton View Post


...

Frankly I would have preferred Apple keep audiobooks completely separate from ePub books, keeping the old audiobook sub-library and adding a separate book sub-library. For me they are such completely different formats. I have to sit down and actively read an ePub book, whereas I am usually on the road or doing chores when listening to audiobooks. I don't see why they ought to be lumped together at all. If anything, I think audiobooks have more in common with the podcasts library than the book library.

....

I couldn't agree more. Definitely want it separate too. In some ways the category are like an activity tab and whilst we don't 30 of them or whatever - audio and text books are so different in every way that they really should be separate. I'm tempted to submit a suggestion to Apple already.
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

This sounds like the best version of iTunes EVER.

Thanks, Steve!!!!!!!

Thanks, AppleRulez for quoting the entire article for a second read!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 9.1 with support for iPad