or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First sanctioned iPad reviews speak favorably of new device

First sanctioned iPad reviews speak favorably of new device - Page 3

post #81 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I like Chrome, but consider it nearly unusable because of the lack of ClickToFlash support.

There looks like there are several Flash blocking extensions for Chrome, although I think all bets are off once it gets incorporated into the OS.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions...mlang=&q=flash One thing I find interesting about Chrome OS is the potential of competition on tablets (along with Android OS). I think Google would be smart to market Flash in Chrome OS for competing tablets while also working to remove the need for Flash on their backend. It's a win-win for them.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #82 of 187
If you jailbreak the iPad, you can run Chrome OS or Linux Mint.
post #83 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There looks like there are several Flash blocking extensions for Chrome, although I think all bets are off once it gets incorporated into the OS.
https://chrome.google.com/extensions...mlang=&q=flash One thing I find interesting about Chrome OS is the potential of competition on tablets (along with Android OS). I think Google would be smart to market Flash in Chrome OS for competing tablets while also working to remove the need for Flash on their backend. It's a win-win for them.

I wondered about that-- I mean the chance that making Flash a component of the Chrome OS would make it unblockable.

For anyone used to using ClickToFlash, using a machine without is like stabbing yourself in the eye. If Chrome based machines can't use Flash blockers, that's actually going to be a negative for a non-trivial number of potential buyers, I would think.

It's one thing to trumpet the fact that your machine delivers "the full internet." It's another to discover that you can't shut the damn thing off.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #84 of 187
Wait till 'the rest' of the bloggers get it. Then it'll be hated for all the little things
post #85 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

For anyone used to using ClickToFlash, using a machine without is like stabbing yourself in the eye. If Chrome based machines can't use Flash blockers, that's actually going to be a negative for a non-trivial number of potential buyers, I would think.

This is why I start blocking things at the router.

You can use a DNS cache-poisoning script on your Tomato-based router as the preliminary ad-blocking defense. (No, this is not an April Fools hoax.)

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57556

I still use ClickToFlash on my Firefox browser based computers.
post #86 of 187
Quote:

all positive reviews will be evidence of being in the tank for apple. All negative reviews will be a refreshing example of "refusing to drink the koolaid." robust early sales will be because fanboys will buy anything apple makes. Delighted reports of early adopters will be evidence of the stupidity of apple's customers. Reports from people who "played with one at best buy and thought it sucked" will be proof of epic fail.

Being an apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.

+1
post #87 of 187
I read through all the 4 reviews -- and part from the "for the techies review" section from David Pogue's reviews -- all the reviews were full of praise.

People like us who have never felt the iPad in our hands (yet) can feel like its an iPod Touch -- whats the big deal...
But the people who have used it for a week -- are praising it. Basically whenever you want to browse the internet casually -- like appleinsider -- why do you need to use the laptop? You need a simple, sexy device -- easy to use, fast, fun, and beautiful, intimate -- thats what the Ipad is -- and it fits the bill perfectly. The apps only widen its scope of usage...

Amazing thing. I cant wait to get my hands on the 3G version.
post #88 of 187
I'm surprised the early reviews have been so favorable. I can't wait to try mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Trolling this forum has gotten to be a chore. I come for good input and advice concerning apple's products and instead see the same 8 to 12 people ganging up on someone that (especially in THIS case) intelligently disagrees with them.

And these same people claim they are NOT mac Fanboys, are being non-biased, and that anyone that disagrees with them is a troll.

I read one entire forum wherein these same people wondered how long it would take the mods to ban someone that disagreed with them.

Apparently one cannot come here for advice or actual bi-partisan insight. That wasn't possible in grade school, high school, and apparently not here either.

This is sad.

The world run by hypocrites and those in the microcosm can't do their part to be a voice of reason.

Looks like I'll have to go o mac rumours to get my news from now on.

It's where AI gets most of their articles anyway......

See ya.
The problem is that many of the people who disagree with the so-called fanboys don't bring anything new to the forums. What I feel is that they post simply to incite other members here.
Let's face it, if you're a member here it's more than likely because you have an interest in Apple, and more than that really, you own an Apple product. I'd say a majority of the people who disagree with those people don't in both cases.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #89 of 187
Nevermind...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #90 of 187
Can't wait to get my 64GB iPad WiFi+3G

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #91 of 187
I've read all the reviews.... and what they're saying reminds me of an old joke:

What's the worst sex experience you've ever had?

... MARVELOUS!

Just substitute iPad for sex (figuratively, not literally)

BTW, AI... is there any way to enter strikeout text?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #92 of 187
Quote:

I'm starting to worry about SpotOn-- he appears to be in an steadily mounting panic that the iPad might actually be well received and used and enjoyed by lots of people. How else to explain his constant posting about a device he doesn't much care for, with increasingly strained efforts to put a negative spin on what has primarily been pretty upbeat news?

I mean, quoting Woz to offset the uniformly positive early reviews, and having mischaracterize his remarks just to eke out even that little bit? How many ways are there to say "But it's just a big iPod!"? Grim.

SpotOn is an alias... his real name is SpoutOff.

post #93 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

This thing will be ferociously killed by the critics. It will also be a runaway success (I predict). The thing is that MOST people don't give a flying fck what techies think. The iPad may have shortcomings and users may have to make compromises as a result but for MOST people a regular computer (including Macs) delivers an experience so poor that I am sure the iPad will be like a breath of fresh air. 'Normal' computers make most people feel stupid rather than empowered. The other important point already alluded to by other posters is that this is rev one iPad with a new OS waiting in the wings. Give it a few months.

I think my cousin's predicament will prove to be typical. He is buying one for his wife but is certain he'll get one, too, eventually. His kid s getting a Mac for his birthday but that's not until late summer. My cousin imagines there'll be much "who's been messing with my iPad" going on with everyone requiring their own sooner rather than later.

You nailed it!

post #94 of 187
Quote:

I agree with the Boing Boing review-- the thing that will really seal the deal for the iPad are apps we haven't even imagined yet.

From day 1 I've thought that one of the most interesting things about the single app, full screen model when applied to a device as big as the iPad is that it makes into sequentially different devices, for all intents and purposes. When it's running the ebooks app, its not a computer running an app, it's a book. A very clever and flexible book, sure, but in terms of how you hold and deal with the thing, it's a book.

Or a map. Or a musical instrument. Or a day planner. Or a video viewer. Or..... we haven't seen yet. A drawing tablet? A sophisticated touch synth? Something no one has thought of?

I just don't think you can overestimate the psychological impact of having the entire device be turned over to the UI of a given application, with nothing on the hardware betraying the sense of dedicated appliance. I think it will be very different from simply running an app on a computer in full screen mode, because that still has a bunch of "computer" UI and hardware cues and a bunch of "computer OS" cruft that you can't get rid of.

The iPhone pioneered the idea of the screen being the UI, with as little hardware as possible to get in the way. The iPad takes that idea and (literally) expands it, to a size that's analogous to any number of real world objects that we're used to interacting with.

I believe the future of computing is just this: abandoning the "container" of the "computing experience" and letting the technology work invisibly to create the illusion of a perfectly adaptable, endlessly changeable blank slate.

Wow! Well said!

It's not a computer, not an appliance... it's an experience(s)!

post #95 of 187
Quote:

I won't name names.

All I will say is that on any given article forum on AI I have seen that over 3/4 of the actual comments are a litany of attacks on someone labeled as a "troll".

By definition, I would be a troll. I come, I read the articles, I read a few comments and if I feel the need or require extrapolation, I comment myself.

The term "troll" is another work of bastardization of the english language morphasized to mean what those in the consensus elected it to mean, when it already had a well documented definition.

In any case, it is the same offenders always ganging up on the same people.

If someone disagrees with you, deal with it. Move on. It's like a critique in creative writing class.

But ganging up on someone? That's pretty childish. And hypocritical. Especially when those doing it have been witnessed crying foul when it has been done to them.

Let me take a stab at explaining it. I usually avoid feeding or discussing the trolls... this thread is an excepption.

To the point: This is a site to present Apple-related articles and forums to discuss the details pro and con. Some of the articles are biased, but most are fine

Most of the people (evidenced by their posts) come here to discuss the topics in a reasoned, intelligent and polite fashion.

Others (evidenced by their posts) come here to disrupt the discussion. An example is to take a completely arbitrary (usually contrary) position. For example, the iPad is shit because...

Then a few posts later, take the complete opposite position: the iPad will be a great success.

Often these flip-flops take place multiple times during the thread.

The attempt appears to be to educate us and protect us from ourselves... or just stir the pot!

After reading a few threads containing posts of this type, others notice who is doing the posting, and usually ignore the posts.

However, after several days of the same disruptive behavior... the mods will usually ban the offender.

Not, detered, the offender assumes a different alias and renews the spew.

Its gotten so that others can recognize the troll by his MO. For example: SpotOn has the same MO as IGenius who was banned a while back.

Like I said, most serious members usually ignore the troll. But, after being called names, being told what to think and whats good or bad, ad infinitum over and over... it makes intelligent discussion impossible.

At this point, most reasoned people just abandon the thread.

Sometimes, though, it becomes too much and some (me included) will gang up on the troll and ridicule him.

I guess that this just satisfies an inner instinct!

Guilty as charged.

post #96 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Let me take a stab at explaining it. I usually avoid feeding or discussing the trolls... this thread is an excepption.

Geez, why on earth are you guys trying to explain anything to anyone that claims that this forum suxxors and is full of bullying fanbois but won't bloody leave after having his little tantrum and saying he was off for the greener pastures of MacRumors?

The most amusing thing? His line about how the world is run by hypocrites and folks that can't do their part to be a voice of reason and folks here are childish.

OMG...we need a new smiley where tears are running down the face from laughing so hard.

Oh, and he needs to look up the word agnostic.

Good luck and Godspeed buddy!
post #97 of 187
@ Dick Applebaum (above)

Very succinctly put. I would just add that this concerted effort at wilful disruption is working. Threads are sidetracked, become clogged with ignored posts and the people who fall for the bait and respond to them, and the whole forum has become disjointed, petty and fractious. The management of this site really need to get on top of this soon, because these forums have less and less value every day.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #98 of 187
I want to hear what Rob Enderle and John Dvorak have to say. Two totally unbiased experts in the field that should present intelligent perspectives.

What did I just say?!
post #99 of 187
Quote:

What SpotOn has conveniently not addresses and odd spreads out with separate quotes is Pouges dual-review which first got out of the way all the negative points "techies" would say. It seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek to me. His review for consumers is exactly the tone AI quoted in the article.

Yes, he was definitely mocking the "techies".

EDIT: And the comments from the "techies" in response to Pouge's review are predictably hilarious in that context.
post #100 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

But why your anger and why here? Is it that:
1) you just love a fight?
2) someone is paying you to spew FUD?
3) you truely believe it is your mission in life to save Apple fans from their Apple products?
4) ...I don't know, is there another possibility that would make you seem less annoying?

Please dont feed the troll's.
post #101 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Hmmm?

'Favorably' is all good and well, but it's hardly the 'magical' device that Stevie J so enthusiastically proclaimed it to be.

We'll See How This Plays Out...

I just want to highlight this post and reinforce why you are, and continue to belong on, the Ignore List.
post #102 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, he was definitely mocking the "techies".

To acknowledge them at all, is to mock them, especially in this context.

People that think every new device needs to have greater spex than every device that came before it, are what you'd called "techies", and its a bizarre and nauseating culture of individuals who really cannot have discussion about technology with anyone. Hang around here for a bit, you're guaranteed to see some.
post #103 of 187
Quote:

I read one entire forum wherein these same people wondered how long it would take the mods to ban someone that disagreed with them.

This is an Apple fan site. What do you expect?

Those who come here to say anything bad about Apple should just go to the Android sites instead.
post #104 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

If you jailbreak the iPad, you can run Chrome OS or Linux Mint.

You mean, like a REAL OS, which this big iPod Touch should have had from the start?
post #105 of 187
Quote:

I would say in this venue that has been an abject and complete failed exercise....

Then go away. Don't let the screen door hit you in the butt.
post #106 of 187
Main point of the reviews:

Nice concept but limited appeal. All you're really getting is more Apple lock-in and activities you can already do on a netbook.
post #107 of 187
Quote:

I assumed this thread on iPad reviews with videos would be illuminating and insightful. Finding new nuggets of info and speculating on new ways to utilize this new product category from Apple. A couple oddball posters have ruined another thread's flow. Maybe the next one will be better.

And the Ignore function will not work with posts like this one to wade through. These sorts of posts completely ruin the flow of the forum.

The base problem, of course, is that the forum's threading capability is flawed. If one could follow threads of conversation, one could easily ignore threads started by or attacking "non preferred" posters.

But the software used here is awful. It puts all the comments into one big lump. It is not optimal for following or ignoring any particular conversation.
post #108 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

@ Dick Applebaum (above)

Very succinctly put. I would just add that this concerted effort at wilful disruption is working. Threads are sidetracked, become clogged with ignored posts and the people who fall for the bait and respond to them, and the whole forum has become disjointed, petty and fractious. The management of this site really need to get on top of this soon, because these forums have less and less value every day.

THIS. If I wanted Slashdot, I'd be there. Boot the trolls, you know who they are, and boot 'em again when they re-register.
post #109 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

SpotOn is an alias... his real name is SpoutOff.

If we all flag these sorts of content-free insulting posts, we can get these troll's BANNED.
post #110 of 187
The UPS truck just pulled up and I see he has my iPad.
post #111 of 187
[QUOTE=Dick Applebaum;1602137
Sometimes, though, it becomes too much and some (me included) will gang up on the troll and ridicule him.

*[/QUOTE]

These sorts of posts completely ruin the flow of conversation around here.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
post #112 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

@ Dick Applebaum (above)

Threads are sidetracked, become clogged with ignored posts and the people who fall for the bait and respond to them, and the whole forum has become disjointed, petty and fractious. The management of this site really need to get on top of this soon, because these forums have less and less value every day.

This sort of post ruins the flow of the conversation. If you want to discuss anything not covered by the news article, please start your own thread!
post #113 of 187
Right now the only reason why I wont buy one is price. I think even $499 is too expensive for one.

If It was $399 then I would have gotten one.

Also I think the next version of this will be the one to have If the I phone is anything to go by.

ps Just making posts about trolls is just as bad as the trolls themselves.
post #114 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

This sort of post ruins the flow of the conversation. If you want to discuss anything not covered by the news article, please start your own thread!

Well, you've certainly convinced me... I put myself on my ignore list!

Thanks, AppleRulez... that's a much more humble name than IGenious (your prior name)

post #115 of 187
Quote:

Black & Decker? Pfffft. Fisher Price toys for people who don't know how to use real tools. And don't even get me started on Black & Decker fan boys. And here's the kicker: when you patiently explain to them how sucky their drills are, and what mindless sheep they are for buying into the B&D (or Break and Discard, as we say) Walled Garden (good luck using Bosch batteries with your precious new drill!), they get all defensive. Which pretty much proves they're all gay.

BoschRulez

post #116 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I've done remote work before and I tell you I hated lugging out the 5lb PC laptop and waiting for 3 minutes as XP booted like molasses in winter. All I needed to do was to access a website. Tablets based on OS designed for mobile computing will deal with such simple tasks far more efficiently than computers designed with a full OS.

The iPad will be a success. It functions like it should with speed and grace. It's yet another hallmark device from Apple and the usual suspects are once again clueless.

Ok let's play Devil's Advocate here. Let's talk about where Apple may have gone wrong.

Flash - Flash is important...for some people. However those of us who are reaching those years where the gray hairs start popping in realize that the web must be as open as possible and for financial expediency there will always be developers that wish to cordon off areas and profit. Flash is nothing more than a vehicle to produce profits for Adobe via proprietary software. Though Apple is taking a risk by not supporting Flash without having more viable options for developers to eschew Flash for more open options.

Camera - Not really sure that a camera is all that big of a deal on a tablet but perhaps generation II. I'd rather see flexible cameras that connect to the 30 pin connecto than something built in and inflexible.

Multitasking - Multitasking is there but 3rd parties haven't been invited to the table until Push Notification and other security methods have been perfected. We'll get Multitasking in a future OS update. I'm sure of it.

I can't wait for mine.

I totally concur with your first point here. This is going to be a great device for so many of those quick little things. Dead time when getting an oil change or waiting at the doctor's office will be some much more productive or entertaining with this device. These are times when an actual laptop is just too much to lug around and wait for to boot up. Maybe I'm just being lazy or something, but I'm really looking forward to getting mine, or should I say my wife's.

I'm with you on 2 out of your 3 illustrated weaknesses. I really don't see the big deal about a camera, forward facing or otherwise, though this is obviously something a lot of people are interested in. I also agree that multitasking is probably/hopefully coming to the iPad with the OS 4 update this summer. However, I have to disagree with you on Flash support. This is one area that I would rather risk the security risks that Flash presents because as much as Jobs may dislike the fact, Flash is pretty ubiquitous. I would like to be able to let the kids play games on PBS Kids, but it's a Flash site, and there are a couple of decent browser based games that I would like to play also that are Flash based. I hope that Apple reconsiders their position on Flash.

Now, my biggest complaint is not having an integrated USB and/or SD card slot. Let's face it, the storage capacity on the iPad is limited, and that is fine in and of itself. The problem is for instance watching movies on a 16GB iPad. Let's say you are taking a trip (the wife and I are going on a cruise to the Bahamas in May) and you want to take along the iPad to watch movies on the plane ride. You are potentially talking about soaking up half or more of your storage just to keep a handful of movies on there. If I could pop in a 16GB SD card or USB Flash drive, I could take along these same movies without any concern over space or I could take along 2 or 3 times as many movies no sweat. This is something I'm hoping to see resolved in version 2.
post #117 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This is my 1st post here so let me introduce myself a bit.

I'm a designer and a PC guy. Always built & installed my rig myself for the past ten years so I think I'm pretty good at PC. Right now I have an htpc running Vista and a notebook running 7. I started leeching some Apple-related sites for a past few years gathering information about Apple products because of iPhone. Apple products I'm planning to buy are iPad and iPhone 4G, for me & my wife. I even recommended iPad to all of my friends here.

Good to see iPad got rave reviews. There's some limitations I'd like to see a workaround, like an ability to view MPG, AVI or WMV file attached in email etc. but all in all look like it turns out to be better than what I expected in Jan.

Welcome to AI!

Apple hit a grand slam with the iPad, and the apps will be that much better than on the iPhone / Touch just by increasing the size of the screen.

For me a potential limitation would be that Bluetooth headsets with microphones will not work on the iPad, specifically with Skype type of applications, where I can place calls over the internet. Still I can't argue with this fantastic tablet device.
post #118 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

To my critics,

I just want to say it's better to be a informed consumer than a misinformed one.

I think the iPad is a wonderful device, it has a lot of great features, but since Apple is rather vague on the purpose, market and intention of this device, trying to cast the widest market net basically, it's up to us seasoned users to find out how this device fits in the real world.

Apple has a habit of creating a device and letting the market dictate what it's going to become, so opinions and comments matter. Heck, Apple didn't even think the iPod Touch would turn chiefly into a portable gaming device, but it did.

All I'm doing is helping in that process, which seems I'm not way off track if I have the Woz and Pogue agreeing with me.

If you don't like what I have to say, the ignore feature is in your User CP, but you might miss out on some good links I come across, even though you might not share in my opinions.

Your comments would be relevant if you actually have an iPad on which to base your opinions. Do you have one or are you just speculating what you think you'll find once you do?
post #119 of 187
Quote:

Gotta love SpotOn's wishy-washy posts. First, Apple is too controlling with their products forcing you to only use them their way, but now they are vague on their intended market and usage. They can't win!

I don't know about anyone else, but Apple has been quite clear since the demo in January who this device is for.

Strangely enough, I think that SpotOn actually makes a good point here. I would take it even further in the the iPad is much like the Internet. In my mind this is going to be a device who's functionality is going to be incredibly driven by personal needs/habits. For instance, my Internet usage is primarily gaming, tech and news, music and e-mail. My wife is mainly Mapquest for work, Facebook, and e-mail. My dad is e-mail, and history related websites. When I first described the Internet to my parents I told them that you don't know what you'll end up using it for until you just get out there and start poking around. This is my impression of the iPad.

For me this device is somewhat a holdover until the MBP lineup gets updated. We need a second Internet device around the house, one that's bigger and more robust than my iPhone. This is going to fit the bill perfectly. Being portable and pretty much instant on will make it really great to take to the mall or a friend's house or anywhere else. With Wifi access becoming so common you almost don't even need the 3G version.
post #120 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

In regards to my previous posts stating that I was going to wait to purchase my 3 iPads for my family (Dad, in-laws, and nephew) in October, well... I'm gonna have a hard time being patient. My Dad just called and "wants one NOW... this weekend or next!"

Did you tell him he would have to wait like everyone else? Plus the little delay with 3G.

In a way I can understand his desire, the iPad promises a lot though we have yet to see it deliver anything. Being a techy for so many years though I'm reluctant to go out and buy a machine that the manufacture is ashammed of. Basically that position is the result of the lack of info on RAM installed and info on A4.

Of course that is the rational side of me speaking. The flip side sees a lot of draw in a platform that breaks the mold.
Quote:
I was floored, because if there is a more frugal and discerning consumer on Earth than my Dad, I have yet to meet them. This is a guy that waits for the rev. C of a car that he "loves" and can't wait to drive, sometimes waiting up to 2 years.

Sounds a bit like my father who was a product of the great depression. Anything purchased was done so with care and then made to last. I'm sure he would find the current culture of cell phone use appalling simply because people don't make the phones last. Just the idea of replacing something every two years "because" would drive him mad. However gadgets or fishing devices would often be purchased on a lark.
Quote:

If he keeps this up, maybe I'll need to research the subliminal advertising for Apple products... or the so-called "Kool-Aid" factor.

No I think it is more of a case that many techies are missing totally the features that make iPad appealing. Portable and light are huge for many. Beyound that I think many see the interface as a massive reduction in confusion.
Quote:
Funny... my Dad doesn't yet own anything Apple??? But he's actually "begging" at this point! I'm just floored!

Let's just hope that iPad actually meets with his expectations. The problem of course is that commercials make the device look very appealing. In practice I'm not convinced it will actually meet every purchasers needs. The number one issue being the on screen keyboards. People have this idea that they will be able to pound away on them just like a standard keyboard - not likely.

In any event I still see iPad as killing the laptop market. I know it's change how I've been looking at future purchases. The combo of a big screen iMac or other desktop combined with a future rev iPad could eliminate my laptop needs. It is all about what iPhone OS 4.0 does for us.

Dave
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First sanctioned iPad reviews speak favorably of new device