or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › It's official. No MS Office for iPad.

It's official. No MS Office for iPad.

post #1 of 17
April 1 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp., the worlds largest software maker, has no plans to make a version of its Office suite of programs to run on Apple Inc.s iPad, said Stephen Elop, president of Microsofts business division.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...no-threat.html
post #2 of 17
Docs To Go will likely fill the bill for those who want it. The real question is will Apple make a version of Pages for Windows? Once they taste it on the iPad, another revolution might be in the making.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #3 of 17
It is Microsoft's loss

Apple should offer iWork on Windows. It might cut into MS Office monopoly and help Mac OS X become less dependent on MS Office for Mac.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #4 of 17
I guarantee MS will change their minds when they see millions of potential customers out there with iPads, clamoring for Office.

What I want is a copy of Pages for my Mac for $10, like is being sold for iPad.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

It is Microsoft's loss

Apple should offer iWork on Windows. It might cut into MS Office monopoly and help Mac OS X become less dependent on MS Office for Mac.

Better still. Apple should install all the MS fonts in Office into iWork by default. And Apple should build MSN compatibility into iChat.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

April 1 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp., the worlds largest software maker, has no plans to make a version of its Office suite of programs to run on Apple Inc.s iPad, said Stephen Elop, president of Microsofts business division.

Corrected entry:

April 1 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp., the worlds largest idiota, said Stephen Elop, president of Microsofts business division....
post #7 of 17
Provided Apple could provide conversion to MicroSoft systems, I could care less about MicroSoft anything. I only want the conversion in the event I send things to colleagues that still use MicroSoft machines. Try as I might, some still refuse to buck the corporate sway... I will be buying my iPad later this month to get the 3G.

Go Apple..... Lets get this iPad rocking and then get to iPhone 4 going..
post #8 of 17
why do you need office
what about
open office
google docs
iwork
bunch of other cloud based products
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

why do you need office
what about
open office
google docs
iwork

I don't but millions of others seem not to be able to live without it. It has become kind of a standard, I suppose. I don't know Office so that has made it harder to find a job.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

why do you need office
what about
open office
google docs
iwork

Because Apple fraks up my formating every time I try to open a Word document in there. It's horrible. Never mind that the file system on the iPad makes running a business with it on the fly almost impossible.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncsx3 View Post

Because Apple fraks up my formating every time I try to open a Word document in there. It's horrible. Never mind that the file system on the iPad makes running a business with it on the fly almost impossible.

What he said:

what about
open office <-- Not Apple
google docs <--Not Apple
iwork
bunch of other cloud based products <--Not Apple

So, the question is, why are you trolling against Apple in your response?
post #12 of 17
Quote:

What he said:

what about
open office <-- Not Apple
google docs <--Not Apple
iwork
bunch of other cloud based products <--Not Apple

So, the question is, why are you trolling against Apple in your response?

Trolling? It's the problem I'm having right now trying to fix it. Relax kid.

I've used Google Docs, but that's not a workable solution and has the same issues. Never tried open office. Though when all your solutions involve "not Apple" don't you think you are the one that's anti-Apple?
post #13 of 17
No surprise.

MS can't even get a mobile version of Windows right yet.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

It is Microsoft's loss

I hope not, we don't need more proprietary formats becoming popular. MS is at least working on open formats for Office documents, but in their backhanded and reluctant way as usual. We need better adoption of open standards so the same documents can be used in your preferred Office suite without worrying about formatting and things messing up.
post #15 of 17
Quote:

MS was late to the internet, and it appears that they will be late to the iPAD as well.

With 1 million units already sold in the US, and figure at least that same amount to the rest of the world, here in May, then the surges in between with school and Christmas, Apple's goal of 10 million units could maybe be reached, which are a lot of potential sales for a MS Office package.

My guess is, they are looking into it.

- iPad 3G, 64 GB
- 2.4 GHz uMB CE, 4 GB Mushkin DDR3, 160 GB Intel X-25M G2 SSD, Snow Leopard/Windows Vista x64 OS's
- iPhone 3GS 32 GB
- iPad 3G, 64 GB
- 2.4 GHz uMB CE, 4 GB Mushkin DDR3, 160 GB Intel X-25M G2 SSD, Snow Leopard/Windows Vista x64 OS's
- iPhone 3GS 32 GB
post #16 of 17
Also take a look at Quickoffice. They specialize in mobile office and they have a version coming out for the iPad. Link
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #17 of 17
Kind of crazy, Microsoft could actually make a good chunk of change with offering Office on the iPad, but personally, I don't care. I just wish that Apple's Numbers would export to Excel.

I love the iPhone, it has totally changed my Internet and picture-taking life. I like to use shredders to soothe my hectic life, its like I'm a baby and the paper shredding is my warm milk.

I love the iPhone, it has totally changed my Internet and picture-taking life. I like to use shredders to soothe my hectic life, its like I'm a baby and the paper shredding is my warm milk.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › It's official. No MS Office for iPad.