or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple releases iBooks for iPad on App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iBooks for iPad on App Store

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Apple's iBooks application, which includes the iBookstore for purchasing new titles to read on the iPad, is now available for download in the App Store through iTunes.

As a special gift to users, Apple has included a complimentary copy of the classic children's book Winnie the Pooh, by A. A. Milne. An interview with Apple CEO Steve Jobs published this week noted that he was genuinely excited to show off the children's title for the iPad.

"iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books, designed exclusively for iPad," Apple's official description reads. "iBooks includes the iBookstore, where you can download the latest best-selling books or your favorite classics -- day or night. Browse your library on a beautiful bookshelf, tap a book to open it, flip through pages with a swipe or a tap, and bookmark your favorite passages."

iBooks is only available in the U.S. and can only be used on an iPad. Like the App Store, the free, 18.1MB software requires an iTunes Store account. The application supports books in the ePub format, and those who have upgraded to iTunes 9.1 can sync DRM-free ePub documents from outside the iBookstore.

Features of the news software, according to Apple, include:

Download many of your favorite books from the included iBookstore
Read a free sample of any book on the iBookstore before making it part of your collection
Reorder your books on your bookshelf or browse them in a list sorted by title, author or category
Easily adjust your screen brightness to find the perfect lighting for any environment
Change the font size and pick from five included type faces to make your books more comfortable to read
Find a word, character, or phrase anywhere in your book with the built-in search feature
Quickly find a specific page using the page navigator at the bottom of every page
Highlight your favorite passages with the built-in bookmarking feature
Add books in the industry-standard ePub electronic book format to iTunes and sync them to iPad
iBooks supports amazing accessibility features in iPad, such as speaking the words on a given page


Apple's iBooks application, which includes the iBookstore marketplace, will not come preinstalled on the iPad, and must be downloaded from the App Store. One recent study found that one third of potential iPad buyers intend to use the device to read books and newspapers.

Introduced when the iPad was unveiled in January, the iBookstore includes major book publishers HarperCollins, Hachette, Penguin, Macmillan, and Simon & Schuster. In addition to major publishers, there are avenues for self-published authors to make their content available on the iPad's exclusive store.

The store will also come with 30,000 free e-books from Project Gutenberg. The public domain titles will be available without charge, and will head off any attempts by third parties to profit from literature that is freely available.

iBooks will not be the only bookstore option on the iPad: Amazon has revealed that it will release a Kindle e-book application, and Barnes & Noble has also planned its own software for Apple's new device.
post #2 of 36
hope it comes to the iphone later this year
post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

hope it comes to the iphone later this year

Don't count on it

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #4 of 36
included the free source library books was a great move by apple
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

hope it comes to the iphone later this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

Don't count on it

Agreed.
post #6 of 36
For a company that works to make their products as easy to use as possible... I am perplexed that they did not include this as pre-installed software. Especially, since the iBookstore can only be accessed through this App. I guess I had read that before - but I am surprised they did not keep the bookstore within the iTunes eco-system.
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

For a company that works to make their products as easy to use as possible... I am perplexed that they did not include this as pre-installed software. Especially, since the iBookstore can only be accessed through this App. I guess I had read that before - but I am surprised they did not keep the bookstore within the iTunes eco-system.

perhaps some kind of anti trust/monopoly decision? This way they are competing equally against the other bookstores... but then again, music and movies.. sigh.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

hope it comes to the iphone later this year

I hope it comes to the Mac.
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

perhaps some kind of anti trust/monopoly decision? This way they are competing equally against the other bookstores... but then again, music and movies.. sigh.

Or perhaps the iBook app will be updated more frequently than the rest of the OS?

C.
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

For a company that works to make their products as easy to use as possible... I am perplexed that they did not include this as pre-installed software. Especially, since the iBookstore can only be accessed through this App. I guess I had read that before - but I am surprised they did not keep the bookstore within the iTunes eco-system.

The books available on the iBook app is country specific. As such, until Apple gets some rights from each country's publishers, the app would be useless.

Quote:
To open an iTunes Store account, you must provide a valid payment method, such as a credit card, and a valid billing address. The iTunes Store is not available in all countries. To open an account, your payment method and billing address must be from same country as the iTunes Store you use. You can also purchase from the iTunes Store using an iTunes Gift Card, iTunes gift certificate, or allowance. To learn how to create an iTunes Store account with a gift, see iTunes gift options.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2731
post #11 of 36
U.S. only actually get a mention? Call me shocked.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


"iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books,

I disagree. IMO, iBooks is magical. But I guess anything that is magical is also amazing. But OTOH, I am not amazed that Apple can do Magic.
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

For a company that works to make their products as easy to use as possible... I am perplexed that they did not include this as pre-installed software. Especially, since the iBookstore can only be accessed through this App. I guess I had read that before - but I am surprised they did not keep the bookstore within the iTunes eco-system.

Personally, I'm glad that Apple has cut down on the number of default apps. There are more than a half-dozen unused default apps on my iPod touch I'd love to delete and leave more space for things I actually WANT and will USE.

It's dead-simple to download iBooks, or a weather or stock app, or whatever. So, why not leave it up to the user to decide.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

It's dead-simple to download iBooks, or a weather or stack app, or whatever. So, why not leave it up to the user to decide.

I wish other people would see it that way.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

I wish other people would see it that way.

It's also more Mac-like!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #16 of 36
Death to Kindle!
Death to Kindle App!
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Or perhaps the iBook app will be updated more frequently than the rest of the OS?

C.

That was my guess. Perhaps Apple wants be able to update the iBook app via the same mechanism used with 3rd party apps. Or maybe it's related to the "buy in app" architecture.

Either way, since it's free, it's no big deal.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Personally, I'm glad that Apple has cut down on the number of default apps. There are more than a half-dozen unused default apps on my iPod touch I'd love to delete and leave more space for things I actually WANT and will USE.

It's dead-simple to download iBooks, or a weather or stock app, or whatever. So, why not leave it up to the user to decide.

Their calculator app is very good though. I would have liked to see that redone for the aPad. I've tried others, including a couple of highly rated ones, but I always come back to Apple's.

As far as the limited Stocks and Weather apps go, well, they're pretty simple, and won't be missed by anyone. If you want stock info, the major exchanges offer it, as does Bloombergs, which is also free.

Weather is offered with an excellent app from the Weather Channel, again free, as well as from a number of others.

When Apple's apps offer a better experience, I would like to see that, but when they're just there in the beginning to give people something until others spring up that are better, then they can be eliminated. I wouldn't mind seeing Apple remove them from the phone and Touch as well.
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Or perhaps the iBook app will be updated more frequently than the rest of the OS?

it makes sense to have the apps independent of the OS. especially those that aren't considered universal like itunes and email.

plus as noted it could have the added bonus of silencing Amazon etc about antitrust. I choose to download ibooks, it wasn't forced on me.

Although in my dream world it would have been but it would be an integrated reader for various types of ebooks and the buying would have been independent like the apps store is.

i guess so long as my comics don't end up being separate apps filling up my home screens. Some of the indies are but the majors are doing it in app and will hopefully stay that way

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

When Apple's apps offer a better experience, I would like to see that, but when they're just there in the beginning to give people something until others spring up that are better, then they can be eliminated. I wouldn't mind seeing Apple remove them from the phone and Touch as well.

Still, they should be optional. I would remove all the music, photo and video apps from my iPod touch if I could... I've got a Mac for that.

I think it would also help change the perception of the "Apple Walled Garden" where all is controlled by the Mighty Jobs.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #21 of 36
What perplexed me most is I can buy any books from Kindle but I just can't do that even if I have iPad. All just because I don't live in the US. It's almost like Apple didn't want my money.

But thank Abster2core for the link. I'll try to see if I'll succedd to have an US account.
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iBooks will not be the only bookstore option on the iPad: Amazon has revealed that it will release a Kindle e-book application, and Barnes & Noble has also planned its own software for Apple's new device.

I'm glad Barnes & Noble and Amazon are going to be on there as well. A nice healthy bit of competition between the book vendors will hopefully mean lower prices for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

For a company that works to make their products as easy to use as possible... I am perplexed that they did not include this as pre-installed software. Especially, since the iBookstore can only be accessed through this App. I guess I had read that before - but I am surprised they did not keep the bookstore within the iTunes eco-system.

I would guess that this has been caused by the iBook app not being finished when they started manufacturing the thing.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I would guess that this has been caused by the iBook app not being finished when they started manufacturing the thing.

I sure hope so. You can click on a PDF and it will open in Preview. I don't see why Preview can't be made to work with EPUB, DRMed or otherwise, or just offer another app to do it. i also hope that iPhone OS v4.0 will also book reading on the iPhone/Touch.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

For a company that works to make their products as easy to use as possible... I am perplexed that they did not include this as pre-installed software. Especially, since the iBookstore can only be accessed through this App. I guess I had read that before - but I am surprised they did not keep the bookstore within the iTunes eco-system.

You can bet the decision was driven by differing international copyright and publishing laws.
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I sure hope so. You can click on a PDF and it will open in Preview. I don't see why Preview can't be made to work with EPUB, DRMed or otherwise, or just offer another app to do it. i also hope that iPhone OS v4.0 will also book reading on the iPhone/Touch.

It will be interesting to see if Apple try to get book reading on all the devices they can, much like Amazon are pushing Kindle apps for loads of other devices and making money on selling the content.

Putting the books onto the iPhone would seem like a fairly obvious thing to do in my opinion, though you could also see an argument to release a Windows app to allow books to be purchased from iTunes for that, much like they do with music. I doubt the Windows application would happen, but it'll be interesting to see how they develop the business model.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

You can bet the decision was driven by differing international copyright and publishing laws.

Well, I am not so sure. Since a couple of hours the iPad-ready version of the Kindle app is available in the App Store internationally - I have just downloaded it in Germany. And there is no German Kindle store, German Kindle customers from here have to buy from the US store and pay in USD. Actually I have to go through the Kindle US store to subscribe to my local German newspaper (whose headquarters are located less than 500 ft away from my home). And I can legally buy US titles from the Kindle store as well.

No idea why Apple does restrict that for now, but I do not think they are bound by different laws than Amazon.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Still, they should be optional. I would remove all the music, photo and video apps from my iPod touch if I could... I've got a Mac for that.

I think it would also help change the perception of the "Apple Walled Garden" where all is controlled by the Mighty Jobs™.

Those are much more useful apps that most people want. The ones I'm talking about are the type that Apple eliminates from the app store from time to time because they don't do much.

But with any app not considered essential, sure, I would back them being removable as long as that doesn't cause problems for the way the device functions.

I'm not sure about the walled garden though. Apple has maybe18 apps. That's in a sea of more than 170,000. If there's a wall, it's an awful long one, because all of those apps are inside.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

What perplexed me most is I can buy any books from Kindle but I just can't do that even if I have iPad. All just because I don't live in the US. It's almost like Apple didn't want my money.

But thank Abster2core for the link. I'll try to see if I'll succedd to have an US account.

I really don't understand why people blame Apple for these problems.

Don't you understand that it's the companies in your own country that's the problem? Do you think that Apple doesn't want to sell there? It's licensing issues that prevent the sales, as well as royalty payments.

Possibly some day, there will be a worldwide licensing authority, and then these problems won't exist.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, I am not so sure. Since a couple of hours the iPad-ready version of the Kindle app is available in the App Store internationally - I have just downloaded it in Germany. And there is no German Kindle store, German Kindle customers from here have to buy from the US store and pay in USD. Actually I have to go through the Kindle US store to subscribe to my local German newspaper (whose headquarters are located less than 500 ft away from my home). And I can legally buy US titles from the Kindle store as well.

No idea why Apple does restrict that for now, but I do not think they are bound by different laws than Amazon.

Of course it's licensing!

Are you forgetting that the Kindle has been around for almost three years? They have the licensing issues taken care of, mostly. Amazon has been selling books for a long time overseas, and has relationships with publishers over there. Apple doesn't. The iPad isn't even available out of the USA yet, and already people are complaining?

This is the same problem Apple had with the music store. And the movie and Tv store. It will take time.

Don't forget the trouble the various music publishers got into last year in the EU for forcing Apple to license through different stores in each country.
post #30 of 36
So where do I go to download books (from Apple), before I get my iPad? I can't seem to find anywhere to buy/download books at the iTunes store.

I've downloaded iBooks already. But I cannot connect to the books selection at the iTunes store. I see a placeholder.

I can't believe Apple wouldn't let us download books in advance of getting the device. After all, we can download iPad apps with no problem.

I just want to have it all loaded up the minute I bring it home.
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So where do I go to download books (from Apple), before I get my iPad? I can't seem to find anywhere to buy/download books at the iTunes store.

Well, it looks as though iBooks is the front end. Which makes sense given that it's unbundled.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course it's licensing!

Are you forgetting that the Kindle has been around for almost three years? They have the licensing issues taken care of, mostly. Amazon has been selling books for a long time overseas, and has relationships with publishers over there. Apple doesn't. The iPad isn't even available out of the USA yet, and already people are complaining?

This is the same problem Apple had with the music store. And the movie and Tv store. It will take time.

Don't forget the trouble the various music publishers got into last year in the EU for forcing Apple to license through different stores in each country.

Well, I say it again. Amazon does not have any agreements for the Kindle with the publishers here. They do not sell German, or other EU, books on the Kindle. You can buy a Kindle from Amazon in e.g. Germany, but the only books you can buy are original US titles from the US Kindle store - there is no local store. You can resell foreign language books which have not been published by a local publisher freely - and that is exactly what Amazon is doing. A licensing requirement, as for movies and music, does not exist in this particular case. I was just questioning why Apple is not doing the same - a lot of people here would buy original US titles. And there are several titles in other languages in the Gutenberg Project, there is no licensing need for any of them.
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So where do I go to download books (from Apple), before I get my iPad? I can't seem to find anywhere to buy/download books at the iTunes store.

I've downloaded iBooks already. But I cannot connect to the books selection at the iTunes store. I see a placeholder.

I can't believe Apple wouldn't let us download books in advance of getting the device. After all, we can download iPad apps with no problem.

I just want to have it all loaded up the minute I bring it home.

I will repeat. You need to have the app installed on the iPad to see and buy books from the new iBookstore.
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, I say it again. Amazon does not have any agreements for the Kindle with the publishers here. They do not sell German, or other EU, books on the Kindle. You can buy a Kindle from Amazon in e.g. Germany, but the only books you can buy are original US titles from the US Kindle store - there is no local store. You can resell foreign language books which have not been published by a local publisher freely - and that is exactly what Amazon is doing. A licensing requirement, as for movies and music, does not exist in this particular case. I was just questioning why Apple is not doing the same - a lot of people here would buy original US titles. And there are several titles in other languages in the Gutenberg Project, there is no licensing need for any of them.

Amazon would need to have a license from those publishers here to sell books from here, there. They would also need permission from publishers there if they sell the same books, even though it would be in their native language. Apple obviously doesn't have those deals yet.
post #35 of 36
This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing
Good post. I appreciate it
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

Don't count on it

Yet another example of how none of us know anything and so making statements like you do can come back and bite you in the ass.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple releases iBooks for iPad on App Store