or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Pre-release Apple iPads subjected to abuse on late night TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pre-release Apple iPads subjected to abuse on late night TV

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
Apple's iPad was slapped, banged on a table, licked, had a coffee mug placed on top, and even used to make salsa, of all in the name of comedy it during Thursday night episodes of The Late Show with David Letterman and The Colbert Report.

Letterman's nightly "Top Ten" installment was the top 10 questions to ask yourself before waiting in line for the iPad. The Late Show host then pulled out an actual iPad, and attempted to demonstrate its ability to automatically rotate before he accidentally hit the lock button on the device and turned off its screen.

Letterman then slapped the iPad, banged it against the table, and shook the device in a humorous attempt to turn it back on. Unable to turn it back on, he even jokingly tried licking it, earning laughter and applause from the audience at the Ed Sullivan Theater.

"The radiation this thing gives off is incredible," he joked. "You're supposed to wear a lead apron when you operate it."

Later in the episode, the first guest, Sam Worthington, noted he doesn't know how to use an iPad, and then placed it under his coffee mug as a very expensive coaster.



The device also showed up on Comedy Central's The Colbert Report, where comedian Stephen Colbert joked that he gave up a kidney to receive the device early. He also noted that the latest issue of Newsweek featured the iPad on its cover, likened to an advertisement Apple didn't have to pay for. "Unlike," he noted," the Amazon Kindle on the back," pointing to an advertisement for Amazon's competing e-ink reader.

He noted that the iPad features the same touchscreen technology and runs the same applications as the iPhone. "And just like the iPhone, you can't make calls with it," Colbert said in an indirect jab at wireless carrier AT&T.

Like was the case with Letterman, the hardware didn't escape Colbert's hands without its share of abuse either, as the late night host used the device to create "salsa."

The self-centered satirical character even gave all of the members of his live studio audience a picture of himself holding the hardware as an April Fool's joke.


It wasn't Colbert's first experience with an iPad: Soon after the hardware was unveiled, he pulled one out of his jacket while hosting the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards.

The iPad has been making the rounds on TV this week, also showing up in primetime, being the focal point of an episode of the ABC comedy Modern Family. The character Phil Dunphy wanted Apple's new device for his birthday, and thanks to his son he got one. Dunphy then blew out virtual candles on the device.
post #2 of 77
That's amazing product placement.. both free and paid. I wonder who called Amazon and tipped them off they had better take out the back cover... hehe...or was the back cover already amazon to begin with? Hmm.. I'm curious on the symantecs.
post #3 of 77
Sacrilege! The FFC should revoke their license. Apple bashing should not be tolerated. You never see people mocking Microsoft like that on national TV.
post #4 of 77
Tomorrow's the big day lol. I'm planning on going down to the mall to see what kind of crowd there is. I'm out here in Iowa for work for a few months, in West Des Moines which has a lot of high paying computer jobs, so I have a feeling it will be nuts.

I'll take a picture and post it here
post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Letterman's nightly "Top Ten" installment was the top 10 questions to ask yourself before waiting in line for the iPad.

Three of the questions related to "What the heck good is this thing?" I wonder if the Product Placement dollars were well spent with Letterman.
post #6 of 77
"Oh look - the screen does both black and gray..." ~ Colbert

That is pure comedy folks - pure comedy... too funny!

The most nervous tech companies in America today: Adobe - as iPad proves you don't need Flash; Amazon - Kindle sales will drop like a rock ("Do I want a full color screen with internet, video, ebooks, email, apps etc for $499 or a gray-scale screen for $490 and all it does is show ebooks?").
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

Three of the questions related to "What the heck good is this thing?" I wonder if the Product Placement dollars were well spent with Letterman.

All pub is good pub. People who watch Letterman know he's a jokester, no one takes that seriously. People got a brief look at it and a little of what it does mixed in with humor- gets the product out there and that's what Jobs wanted.
post #8 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

Three of the questions related to "What the heck good is this thing?" I wonder if the Product Placement dollars were well spent with Letterman.

It actually went better than I would have expected. I wouldn't have bet on him actually launching an app.
post #9 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

It actually went better than I would have expected. I wouldn't have bet on him actually launching an app.

I'm sure a lot of people were surprised to even see the iPad turn on (Letterman) after being banged, shaken, licked and generally abused.

It was good placement... enough to get a lot of people curious.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #10 of 77
That was funny.
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

All pub is good pub. People who watch Letterman know he's a jokester, no one takes that seriously. People got a brief look at it and a little of what it does mixed in with humor- gets the product out there and that's what Jobs wanted.


Even Bad publicity is Good publicity.

An old saying from my days at IBM: "If you screw up, then screw up big... people won't remember what you did, but they'll remember you!"


Colbert's was great, as expected. Letterman, on the other hand... it is the best he's ever done, IMO.

*
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Sacrilege! The FFC should revoke their license. Apple bashing should not be tolerated. You never see people mocking Microsoft like that on national TV.

What the heck is an FFC?
post #13 of 77
just watched the letterman episode; was funny
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
Reply
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
Reply
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What the heck is an FFC?

Federal Fud Commission!

^
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #15 of 77
Not sure if any of you watch Tosh.O on Comedy Centeral. If you want to talk sacralige, Tosh also got a "demo" iPad a few weeks ago and he basically took it out of the box, proped it up on a conference room table, took out a golf club and let if fly! And didn't even turn it on!

For shame! all in the name of comedy, i guess...

http://macblips.dailyradar.com/video...-with-an-ipad/
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That was funny.

Yes, both were hilarious. Priceless product placement.
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Federal Fud Commission!

^

Not a great week for Apple-haters....
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Federal Fud Commission!

^

Any relation to the EFC?

(Elmer Fudd Commission)
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Not sure if any of you watch Tosh.O on Comedy Centeral. If you want to talk sacralige, Tosh also got a "demo" iPad a few weeks ago and he basically took it out of the box, proped it up on a conference room table, took out a golf club and let if fly! And didn't even turn it on!

For shame! all in the name of comedy, i guess...

http://macblips.dailyradar.com/video...-with-an-ipad/

That was not a real iPad. You can tell the moment the thing appeared on camera.
post #20 of 77
I'm sure the iPad would make a delicious salsa. Those devices are getting so thin they'll eventually have to call them the iKnifes.
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That was not a real iPad. You can tell the moment the thing appeared on camera.

(Is that a real [iPad]... I mean
Is that [an Apple iPad]
Or is that a Sears [iPad]?
Hmmm... No foolin...)

My apologies to Frank Zappa.
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

Three of the questions related to "What the heck good is this thing?" I wonder if the Product Placement dollars were well spent with Letterman.

"The only bad publicity is your obituary." -Editors of the Harvard Lampoon
post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not a great week for Apple-haters....

That's right. About the only thing the Apple-haters can cheer about is that the stock isn't up today.

post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not a great week for Apple-haters....

Actually, it's been a pretty bad decade for Apple haters.
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

That's right. About the only thing the Apple-haters can cheer about is that the stock isn't up today.

Since it's up .97, they cannot even cheer about that.
post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Since it's up .97, they cannot even cheer about that.

It was up $0.97 yesterday. The markets are closed today in observance of Good Friday.

That's why AAPL isn't trading up today.

post #27 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

"Oh look - the screen does both black and gray..." ~ Colbert

That is pure comedy folks - pure comedy... too funny!

The most nervous tech companies in America today: Adobe - as iPad proves you don't need Flash; Amazon - Kindle sales will drop like a rock ("Do I want a full color screen with internet, video, ebooks, email, apps etc for $499 or a gray-scale screen for $490 and all it does is show ebooks?").

You might be about to see Amazon charge an awful lot less for the Kindle.

Second hand they'll probably be close to worthless too. Mine will be up on eBay as soon as the 3G iPad comes out.
post #28 of 77
Letterman basically made it look like the iPad is something that is impossible to use, and doesn't even function properly (I guess that could be considered comedy)
Colbert was just straight up hilarious.
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

(Is that a real [iPad]... I mean
Is that [an Apple iPad]
Or is that a Sears [iPad]?
Hmmm... No foolin...)

My apologies to Frank Zappa.

+1.

' was one of my all-time favorites
post #30 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Letterman basically made it look like the iPad is something that is impossible to use, and doesn't even function properly (I guess that could be considered comedy)


I thought Letterman's skit was pretty funny. Of course had he not put it down on the top where it puts the machine to sleep, it would've worked better. I am sure most of it was his usual comedy routine.
post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Federal Fud Commission!

Gold!

PS: I disagree with the "Even Bad publicity is Good publicity" adage. Bernie Madoff, Tiger Woods, Michael Jackson (until he died), Richard Nixon, and Roman Polanski are just a few examples of people that have been emotionally, socially and financially hurt by stupid decisions that resulted in bad publicity.


Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Letterman basically made it look like the iPad is something that is impossible to use, and doesn't even function properly (I guess that could be considered comedy)
Colbert was just straight up hilarious.

I agree. Colbert had me rolling but Letterman wasn't very funny and made the device look complex to usem finicky and poor to respond to commands. I'd think people watching that are in two camps, the ones that understand how tech works and got the iPad before his schtick and the ones that didn't get before who have reinforced their feelings that it's uninteresting. I have to wonder if he'll get a pre-release of the next Apple product.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I thought Letterman's skit was pretty funny. Of course had he not put it down on the top where it puts the machine to sleep, it would've worked better. I am sure most of it was his usual comedy routine.

It was, you should have seen him try to Tweet a week or so ago. He made twitter and a normal laptop look impossible to use
post #33 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

"Oh look - the screen does both black and gray..." ~ Colbert

That is pure comedy folks - pure comedy... too funny!

The most nervous tech companies in America today: Adobe - as iPad proves you don't need Flash; Amazon - Kindle sales will drop like a rock ("Do I want a full color screen with internet, video, ebooks, email, apps etc for $499 or a gray-scale screen for $490 and all it does is show ebooks?").

I think Amazon will be just fine.

They'll sell both iPad and Kindle, and Kindle app will be on the iPad also.
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Actually, it's been a pretty bad decade for Apple haters.

The real question is how many Apple haters will stroke out from high blood pressure? How many will wind up in the emergency rooms with carpal tunnel syndrome from furiously typing their diatribes in various online forums...like AppleInsider?
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

Three of the questions related to "What the heck good is this thing?" I wonder if the Product Placement dollars were well spent with Letterman.

For the 500th time Apple does not pay for product placement. It never has. It never will. It's against company policy.

By the way its every advertisers dream to get everyone in America to say "What the heck is this thing?"
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I thought Letterman's skit was pretty funny. Of course had he not put it down on the top where it puts the machine to sleep, it would've worked better. I am sure most of it was his usual comedy routine.

If you watch Letterman regularly you know his gadget IQ is zero. The fact that he got it started and made it to photos once is a testament to the iPads ease of use.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRRosen View Post

For the 500th time Apple does not pay for product placement. It never has. It never will. It's against company policy.


By definition, isn't providing a free iPad days before launch, in essence, *paying* for product placement? You can't tell me there wasn't an understood agreement that in exchange for providing the iPad, the show would put it on the air and discuss it. That, my friend, isn't free.
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRRosen View Post

If you watch Letterman regularly you know his gadget IQ is zero. The fact that he got it started and made it to photos once is a testament to the iPads ease of use.

On this, I do agree. One would think that providing an iPad to almost anyone BUT Letterman would have been a better bet that the host could operate the thing.

You're right - the fact Letterman could turn it on and rotate the iPad was a victory. When he couldn't line up his finger to swip it back on - the writing was on the wall - he isn't tech saavy.
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The real question is how many Apple haters will stroke out from high blood pressure? How many will wind up in the emergency rooms with carpal tunnel syndrome from furiously typing their diatribes in various online forums...like AppleInsider?

We'll probably have to wait thirty years to see.

Many of the haters appear to be quite young (i.e., below 25 years old). Kids are resilient.

post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The real question is how many Apple haters will stroke out from high blood pressure? How many will wind up in the emergency rooms with carpal tunnel syndrome from furiously typing their diatribes in various online forums...like AppleInsider?

We have two here who already suffered mental breakdown
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Pre-release Apple iPads subjected to abuse on late night TV