or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 'iPad is here,' Apple declares on highly anticipated launch day

'iPad is here,' Apple declares on highly anticipated launch day

post #1 of 44
After months of hype, Apple's iPad tablet computer finally went into the hands of consumers Saturday. Coinciding with the release, Apple updated its Web site to show off "a whole new world of apps" created specifically for the device.

More than a thousand iPad-specific applications are available on launch day, in addition to the more than 150,000 iPhone and iPod touch applications already available on the App Store, most of which will work on the iPad. Some developers who have upgraded their iPhone applications for the iPad have distinguished their software with the labels "HD" and "XL."

Apple chose on Saturday to highlight a number of applications created for the iPad while declaring on the front page of its Web site "iPad is here." Among the software highlighted is "The Elements," an interactive Periodic Table with high resolution photos and in-depth details on all 118 elements. Like some other applications for the iPad, "The Elements" also has a 3D mode when used with 3D glasses sold separately.

Also featured on Apple's Web site is the "Marvel Comics" application, and the description declares "comics will never be the same."

"Colors and art look so astonishing on the iPad display, you'll feel like you're part of the action," Apple said. "Pinch to zoom in and out of each page to view text and art. Tap thumbnails to navigate through pages. iPad can even lead you through each panel as the adventure unfolds. And you can buy comics right on iPad."

Other applications featured include "Real Racing HD," "The Wall Street Journal," "MLB.com At Bat 2010," "E*Trade Mobile Pro," "Scrabble," and "Labyrinth 2 HD."

Saturday is obviously a huge day for Apple, with customers lined up across the country at stores to be among the first to get the iPad. Employees at Apple's stores began to prepare for the rush of patrons very early in the morning.

AppleInsider received word that Apple retail store employees were at various U.S. store locations on both the east and west coast at 1 a.m. to prepare for today's launch at 9 a.m. local time. Employees reportedly began unboxing iPads for display at 3 a.m. All other employees had to be at the store at 7 a.m. for training.

Apple store employees meet at 1:15 a.m. Saturday to prepare for the iPad. Photo provided.

Most who preordered an iPad online when Apple began accepting orders will receive their device via UPS on Saturday. A small number of people who live in remote areas where UPS does not offer weekend delivery will have to wait until Monday.

The iPad starts at $499 for the 16GB model with only Wi-Fi. The 32GB model costs $599 and the 64GB option runs $699. Later this month, the 3G-capable models will be released, and they carry a $130 premium. The 16GB model will cost $629, 32GB for $729 and 64GB for $829.
post #2 of 44
Get yours yet?
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Get yours yet?

Mine was arrival-scanned into Manchester, NH at 0618 EDT, and, as of this reply at 0936 EDT, is still sitting there. Way to go Brown!
post #4 of 44
Computer?
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Other applications featured include "Real Racing HD," "The Wall Street Journal," "MLB.com At Bat 2010,"...

This is an interesting bit from the description of MLB at Bat:

Quote:
Watch live streaming games on the large iPad screen and listen to pitch-by-pitch audio even when youre in a different app.
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Computer?

I have a reservation to pick mine up between 9am and 3pm. I wounder what the lines will be like?

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #7 of 44
Glad the ipad is out, now if only Apple would remember the rest of the planet and announce release dates and bloody pricing for us over here!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I have a reservation to pick mine up between 9am and 3pm. I wounder what the lines will be like?

Go early and find a good parking spot and wait in line.
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Glad the ipad is out, now if only Apple would remember the rest of the planet and announce release dates and bloody pricing for us over here!

And over here in Japan!

I check their homepage several times a day but alas...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #10 of 44
Sadly sitting in Australia where it is only 6 minutes to midnight ticking over to 4th April (love being infront), but alas, no idea when they will go on sale down here.

Time to let us know Apple!

Otherwise, much fun to be had by all those getting their grubby little hands on them today I can imagine
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is an interesting bit from the description of MLB at Bat:

Quote:
Quote:
Watch live streaming games on the large iPad screen and listen to pitch-by-pitch audio even when youre in a different app.

I don't think this is the Important Revelation it may appear to be.

Actually, this is already available on the iPhone, if I'm not mistaken. I was checking out a preseason game's live audio stream a week ago on MLB at Bat and it gave me the option to listen while using a different app. When I clicked on it, it opened up a Safari page that started some Quicktime streaming page. The audio stream continued whilst I opened another app. I only tried it for a few minutes as it was ONLY a preseason game...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I don't think this is the Important Revelation it may appear to be.

Actually, this is already available on the iPhone, if I'm not mistaken. I was checking out a preseason game's live audio stream a week ago on MLB at Bat and it gave me the option to listen while using a different app. When I clicked on it, it opened up a Safari page that started some Quicktime streaming page. The audio stream continued whilst I opened another app. I only tried it for a few minutes as it was ONLY a preseason game...

Ah, I was wondering if that were the case, not being an MLB fan.
post #13 of 44
I arrived at the Best Buy in Greenville, SC at 8:00 a.m. and was 17th in line. At 9:00 they informed us that the UPS shipment was delayed due to flooding in Kentucky. They will be here no later than 5:00 p.m. At least I'm guaranteed to get one.
post #14 of 44
Got it! Woo Hoo!
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #15 of 44
finally, it's here!
Good.
Now move along, folks...
When some new MBs/MBPs? iMacs?

sent from my... internet browser of choice.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Got it! Woo Hoo!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us how you like it here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=108374

post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I arrived at the Best Buy in Greenville, SC at 8:00 a.m. and was 17th in line. At 9:00 they informed us that the UPS shipment was delayed due to flooding in Kentucky. They will be here no later than 5:00 p.m. At least I'm guaranteed to get one.

It was rumored that each Best Buy would get only 15. Assuming that there is a limit of one per customer, and you're 17th in line?????

Did you get your confirmation in writing? Hope it works out for you.
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

finally, it's here!
Good.
Now move along, folks...
When some new MBs/MBPs? iMacs?

and Mac Pro's
post #19 of 44
Quote:

Dude they're feeding you BS. I live in Ky and we don't have any flooding.
post #20 of 44
Quote:

Get yours yet?

Got mine! All I can say so far is woooow!
post #21 of 44
There's a teardown in progress at iFixit, horrible, yet fascinating:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Teardown/2183/1
post #22 of 44
Maybe version 3 for me. I just can't understand how it would benefit me at this time. Hope those who have it enjoy it.
post #23 of 44
beaten by the time it took to cut and paste
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Dude they're feeding you BS. I live in Ky and we don't have any flooding.

And he lost his place in line?
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

Otherwise, much fun to be had by all those getting their grubby little hands on them today I can imagine

Oh yeah ...
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Got mine! All I can say so far is woooow!

post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

As an US-based independent software developer, let me say it's too difficult to release software internationally. Basically whatever we export needs to be registered with our Dear Government (they're vague on the requirements but clear & harsh on the penalties), so unless one has a corporate-sized legal department, exporting is far too much of a risk.

The iPad is likely coming your way, just give Apple some time to jump through the hoops.
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There's a teardown in progress at iFixit, horrible, yet fascinating:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Teardown/2183/1

Now watch eBay for a iPad kit for sale by Ifixit.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

And over here in Japan!

I check their homepage several times a day but alas...

Worse for me since I'm waiting for the 3G

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #30 of 44
I was on the fence about getting an iPad.

I then went to the App Store and saw this:

NETFLIX FOR IPAD.

One iPad, please!
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I was on the fence about getting an iPad.

I then went to the App Store and saw this:

NETFLIX FOR IPAD.

One iPad, please!

I've used the Netflix iPad app. It needs a redo in terms of navigation. It's what I feared most, a mostly website driven UI that is unresponsive at times. Definitely, definitely, definitely needs a redo.
post #32 of 44
so my loser cousin in New York just walked out of the store with his and had to text me. No camera. no 'one more thing'. He didn't mention any kind of freebies but I also didn't ask.

he did hear something from a guy in line that he thought made a lot of sense. this guy was talking about the no camera issue and said that in his opinion, Apple won't put a front camera in the ipad until they can center mount it with software that will adjust for orientation that way you can chat while looking at the actual screen, something that isn't as big of an issue with the phone cause the screen is so small. As for a back camera, he thinks that Apple isn't sure there's a need and this resurrected camera kit will be a way to get a feel for that.

makes sense to me. at least about the chat cam
post #33 of 44
So it's been about 12 hours since the iPad starting going on sale and available in store and nobody has thought to load iStat to see how much RAM is in this thing? Am I really the only one who cares?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So it's been about 12 hours since the iPad starting going on sale and available in store and nobody has thought to load iStat to see how much RAM is in this thing? Am I really the only one who cares?

From another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

In terms of the RAM, K4X2G643GE if I'm not mistaken in Samsung nomenclature means a 2Gb chip, which translates into 256MB per chip. Assuming only 1 DRAM chip in the A4, then I guess we are still at 256MB of DRAM which is kind of disappointing if multitasking really is coming with iPhone OS 4.
post #35 of 44
Quote:

From another thread

Thanks.
post #36 of 44
Quote:

From another thread

The "assuming" in his post keeps it from being a satisfying (if dissappointing) answer. It would be nice to know for sure...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #37 of 44
Quote:

Maybe they pulled a scam like Rodney Dangerfield in Back To School when he wantedro get to th front o the line for class registration. Some "officical" looking guy told everyone to come back later while his co-conspirators distracted real employees.
post #38 of 44
Is anyone bothered that this device has no support for network printing? It doesn't make a lot of sense to have to email a document to yourself in order to print it. As an educator and businessman (two groups Apple was supposedly courting with the iPad) I'm not getting this.

Does anyone here see this feature coming in v2 or 3?
post #39 of 44

Jus' kidding, didn't get my AFD quota and making up for it.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Is anyone bothered that this device has no support for network printing? It doesn't make a lot of sense to have to email a document to yourself in order to print it. As an educator and businessman (two groups Apple was supposedly courting with the iPad) I'm not getting this.

Does anyone here see this feature coming in v2 or 3?

I'm hoping it shows up for iOS 4 this summer. Really, Bonjour discovery of printers with a simple "print" menu or gesture summoning up a list of available printers doesn't seem beyond Apple's UI paradigm or the underlying tech. Doesn't seem to add much complexity, doesn't run athwart of any of Apple's pet bugaboos, so I'm puzzled as to what the deal is.

All I can think is that they're planning similar functionality for the iPhone and are going to roll it out for the next iPhone OS major update.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 'iPad is here,' Apple declares on highly anticipated launch day