or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPad

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
As is expected with any Apple product, the box is simple and elegant. The packaging assures that the iPad is the center attraction -- when you pull the lid off, it's all iPad.

Removing the iPad reveals the manual underneath, and lifting that out gives access to the USB cable and wall charger. Setup is quick, easy and simple. The iPad needs to be activated through iTunes, a very fast process that allows you to sync photos, videos, music and existing iPhone/iPod touch applications you might already have on your desktop.

The all aluminum back of the Wi-Fi model looks great (I always preferred that look), but if the first-gen iPhone is any indication, you'll probably want a case for this investment before it gets scratched up. Upon booting the App Store, users are immediately asked if they want to download the iBooks application. It installs quickly over Wi-Fi and works well with a clean interface and very responsive touch controls.

Probably the best thing for a touch typist like myself: compatibility with any Bluetooth keyboard. I could totally see myself getting some work done with this thing, now that I can actually type fast and accurately. The soft keyboard works well enough, but because you can't rest your fingers on the screen, you're forced to sort of hunt and peck. Maybe this will improve over time.

But with a Bluetooth keyboard, you can tab through inputs on a page, use an arrow key to navigate, cut copy and paste with the standard keyboard shortcuts, and highlight text by holding shift. Very helpful. And it works across the system, so I can quickly turn to my keyboard if I want to do something simple like type in my e-mail address on a form.

The orientation lock is also very welcome addition. Laying the device flat on your lap can cause problems, so you'll probably be using this feature a lot. When the screen orientation is locked, an icon is displayed in the top right corner.

Also, when using an external keyboard the iPhone OS autocorrect remains in place, so common typos are still rectified. Stay tuned for a more in-depth first look ahead of our official review in the coming days.

post #2 of 46
Nice view---damn glossy screen--what no matt option

Actually my MBP has a glossy screen--LUV IT
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #3 of 46
wow it actually looks like a small camera on this one pic..but i guess its just the ambient light sensor..
gotta wait till the end of april till its available in germany..but i was getting the 3g version anyways..
24" iMac, 2,93Ghz, 4GB Ram, 640GB HD, ATI 4850
Aluminum MacBook 13,3", 2,0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
Classic iPhone 16GB
5G iPod nano Product red 8GB
Time Capsule 1TB
[coming soon] 32GB iPad + 3G
Reply
24" iMac, 2,93Ghz, 4GB Ram, 640GB HD, ATI 4850
Aluminum MacBook 13,3", 2,0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
Classic iPhone 16GB
5G iPod nano Product red 8GB
Time Capsule 1TB
[coming soon] 32GB iPad + 3G
Reply
post #4 of 46
Haven't seen such a beauty since I first saw a MessagePad 2000. Can't wait to see one in person soon.

Newton walkthrough, for anyone interested :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHelCE9QAg&feature=fvw



"Lunch with bob." ;-P
post #5 of 46
Yes the screen is reflective.

Yes one requires to connect to iTunes on a computer to use the device.


Notice the packaging is super duty and also the glue on the circuit board is extra strength. (from another article)

Could it be the iPad is a bit vulnerable to shock?

Should we take more care than normal with the device?

Just saying, any opinions from purchasers?
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Yes the screen is reflective.

Yes one requires to connect to iTunes on a computer to use the device.


Notice the packaging is super duty and also the glue on the circuit board is extra strength. (from another article)

Could it be the iPad is a bit vulnerable to shock?

Should we take more care than normal with the device?

Just saying, any opinions from purchasers?

More FUD. Really, what's your deal?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #7 of 46
The photos are of high quality, not the unboxing as the title one lead one to understand
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Nice view---damn glossy screen--what no matt option

Actually my MBP has a glossy screen--LUV IT

The Mirror Free app will rock once again.

I hear an iPad version is in development. Mirror HD.
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
Reply
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
Reply
post #9 of 46
As I wait for my iPad 64gb/3g, I ended up buying a 64gb/WiFi for my nephew's graduation present.

It's certainly an interesting enough device, and the apps that's he's loaded work/look nice, but... It's still difficult to get too excited at this point.

One thing that I found very interesting is that Hyundai will be including an iPad/16gb preloaded with a 300 page owner's manual with their 2011 Equus model.

I wonder how many other companies will follow their lead in this area.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #10 of 46
Do Want!


No release date for the WiFi+3G in Japan yet <- will mention in every post until they do

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #11 of 46
One detail I noticed was the home button seems positioned slightly too low. It's closer to the bottom of the unit, and when inside the Apple case it's right against the edge - in fact slightly below depending on how you insert the iPad.
post #12 of 46
http://images.appleinsider.com/ipad_...nboxing-32.jpg

That totally looks like a brightness sensor right in the middle of the home button itself
post #13 of 46
I wish they'd announce dates for elsewhere already, it'd be nice to know!
post #14 of 46
I'd kill for a flickr link to use one of those for an iPad backdrop. 1024x768 Please?
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lws View Post

http://images.appleinsider.com/ipad_...nboxing-32.jpg

That totally looks like a brightness sensor right in the middle of the home button itself

-Same thought here. Anybody have an idea?

-On another note, no special optics-grade cleaning cloth included?
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

More FUD. Really, what's your deal?

It was a honest question.
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lws View Post

http://images.appleinsider.com/ipad_...nboxing-32.jpg

That totally looks like a brightness sensor right in the middle of the home button itself

I don't think it is because it doesn't show on the other picture of the Home button. It might have just be some reflection that crept in. It makes no sense having the ALS in the Home button especially when it's at the top where people think the camera is.
post #18 of 46
I'm writing this on our 16gb iPad and it is great. The screen is perfect, I even had to bump down t
He brightness a bit. Outside there was barely any glare. The inernet is awesome on this thing. I can type almost as fast as on a real keyboard. One word: awesome.
post #19 of 46
Not to hijack the thread but.

Now that the iPad i finally released, maybe we could see some other upgrades..
Next Tuesday? Probably not.
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Could it be the iPad is a bit vulnerable to shock?

No it can't be. What it is is that Apple realises a device like this will be EXPOSED to more shock than a laptop by it's very handheld nature.

It's a little thing you may have heard of called Physics which Apple understands. The iPhone is small therefore the shock is distributed relatively evenly and therefore doesn't break as readily. The iPad however is large so the shock can tend to localise itself to certain parts of the device therefore more readily able to break. A laptop however is more heavier and has a separate screen so there are multiple hit points which, with the added weight in a laptop, means there are more places to break. An iMac is even larger and weighs even more... A ship is much larger as well and more hit points. A planet... blah blah blah I guess you can get the picture now.

It's not about vulnerability it's all about the user and Apple is just doing what every company should... protect users from themselves.
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Not to hijack the thread but.

Now that the iPad i finally released, maybe we could see some other upgrades..
Next Tuesday? Probably not.


Steve Jobs: "You want it when?"
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I'm writing this on our 16gb iPad and it is great. The screen is perfect, I even had to bump down t
He brightness a bit. Outside there was barely any glare. The inernet is awesome on this thing. I can type almost as fast as on a real keyboard. One word: awesome.


How is the screen? Does the glass seem thick? Knock on it a few times, is it solid or thin?

Does it seem to bend in the middle if you press it?

Thanks.
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I'm writing this on our 16gb iPad and it is great. The screen is perfect, I even had to bump down the brightness a bit. Outside there was barely any glare. The inernet is awesome on this thing. I can type almost as fast as on a real keyboard. One word: awesome.

Good to see you're enjoying your iPad. It's all over the net today. 16GB does seem too small as a starting point memory wise. Have you tried using the SD card feature, does it display files in the way we're accustomed to - I heard it uses a lot of coverflow. Also, how do you get your documents onto the iPad in the first place?

What apps have you got? Would be good to hear more from the guys who've managed to get theirs.
post #24 of 46
Not an unpacking story sorry if off topic! I have found one small glitch Apple need to fix. iPhoto and Aperture can read and play the Canon camera .avi movies perfectly. However, import your album of photos that include some Canon movies and they don't appear, what's more there is no error or warning. I fixed this manually by opening one in Quick Time Player and exporting as .M4V file and replaced it in Aperture . Sure enough the .M4V movie appears in the iPad's Photos and plays fine. This needs to be addressed in iTunes I suspect so that the conversion is done seamlessly during import - perhaps with some options and feedback messages. I have hundreds of short movies as I am sure so do many others. I suspect Apple will fix this once they see this in action. Apple have always pushed Canon cameras so I am surprised this was missed..
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

As I wait for my iPad 64gb/3g, I ended up buying a 64gb/WiFi for my nephew's graduation present.

It's certainly an interesting enough device, and the apps that's he's loaded work/look nice, but... It's still difficult to get too excited at this point.

One thing that I found very interesting is that Hyundai will be including an iPad/16gb preloaded with a 300 page owner's manual with their 2011 Equus model.

I wonder how many other companies will follow their lead in this area.

Toyota started to do that..but they had to put the brakes on that idea.
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Good to see you're enjoying your iPad. It's all over the net today. 16GB does seem too small as a starting point memory wise. Have you tried using the SD card feature, does it display files in the way we're accustomed to - I heard it uses a lot of coverflow. Also, how do you get your documents onto the iPad in the first place?

What apps have you got? Would be good to hear more from the guys who've managed to get theirs.

I'm loving mine so far. Still working through the typing interface. Right now I'm pecking at it with two fingers, not too bad. The goodreader app for iPad is outstanding. Listened to baseball audio backgrounded in safari from the MLB app while transferring my documents over into goodreader from MobileMe. Streamed video from netflix and abc.com. Plants vs zombies has some great graphics. Facebook doesn't have an updated iPad app. I use issh to remote into my unix/Linux systems, it's updated for iPad.

Anyone try out the rdp/vnc client apps? I tried my iPhone rdp lite client out and it wasn't functional enough for me.
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As is expected with any Apple product, the box is simple and elegant.



Classic gadget porn. I actually had to go to my room to look at these pictures in private.... J/k of course. That is one very nice looking piece of kit though. Hope it will make it overseas soon.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
post #28 of 46
These shallow DOF photos are pretty but they do suggest the camera is front focussing a little.
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not an unpacking story sorry if off topic! I have found one small glitch Apple need to fix. iPhoto and Aperture can read and play the Canon camera .avi movies perfectly. However, import your album of photos that include some Canon movies and they don't appear, what's more there is no error or warning. I fixed this manually by opening one in Quick Time Player and exporting as .M4V file and replaced it in Aperture . Sure enough the .M4V movie appears in the iPad's Photos and plays fine. This needs to be addressed in iTunes I suspect so that the conversion is done seamlessly during import - perhaps with some options and feedback messages. I have hundreds of short movies as I am sure so do many others. I suspect Apple will fix this once they see this in action. Apple have always pushed Canon cameras so I am surprised this was missed..

I've had a problem similar to this where I couldn't move .MOV movies from my Panasonic camera to my iPhone (through iTunes). I hope Apple do sort this out, because it would be a hassle converting all my videos just to play them on another device.

To veblen, are you saying there's now backgrounding for non-core apps? Finally!
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I've had a problem similar to this where I couldn't move .MOV movies from my Panasonic camera to my iPhone (through iTunes). I hope Apple do sort this out, because it would be a hassle converting all my videos just to play them on another device.

To veblen, are you saying there's now backgrounding for non-core apps? Finally!

The MLB app lets you background the audio in safari. After you select a game for audio it presents you with a quicktime icon which launches safari and directs you to a url. You select a play game audio button and the game audio commences. The webpage has another button which returns you to the MLB app. Usually I just home button out and go about other tasks with the game playing. I think pandora and aol radio don't use the background in safari functionality because it takes away the ease of purchasing the track you are listening to.
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Do Want!


No release date for the WiFi+3G in Japan yet <- will mention in every post until they do

Why don't you hold your breath instead?
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Toyota started to do that..but they had to put the brakes on that idea.

Yeah, and for once the brakes actually worked.
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I'm writing this on our 16gb iPad and it is great. The screen is perfect, I even had to bump down t
He brightness a bit. Outside there was barely any glare. The inernet is awesome on this thing. I can type almost as fast as on a real keyboard. One word: awesome.

Have you tried any streaming sites? I'm a huge NASCAR fan and I can't wait to use an iPad to get the streaming Raceview that NASCAR broadcasts during each week's race. Raceview gives you the driver's view and crew comments (audio from driver to crew-chief) for your favorite driver as well as many more stats and race visualizations. Right now I use my MBP on the couch next to me during the race but it will be suweeet to use the iPad instead.
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

How is the screen? Does the glass seem thick? Knock on it a few times, is it solid or thin?

Does it seem to bend in the middle if you press it?

Thanks.

Yes it feels rock solid. No flex that I can feel.
post #35 of 46
We got this model for testing, to try out the platform. I won't be putting much music on it right now and it'll be a mail and browsing appliance for now. But some of these apps are beautiful. Epicurious for one, the Adobe Ideas app is pretty slick too.
post #36 of 46
Nothing better than buying a new toy and finding it so nicely packaged. It all adds to the excitement no end.
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I'm writing this on our 16gb iPad and it is great. The screen is perfect, I even had to bump down t
He brightness a bit. Outside there was barely any glare. The inernet is awesome on this thing. I can type almost as fast as on a real keyboard. One word: awesome.

Very nice! Enjoy!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Very nice! Enjoy!

I was watching some really young kid type on one at at an Apple store today. He was absoulutly flying. I mean much faster than I can type on a regular keyboard (and I'm not bad).
Makes me laugh at the fudsters who were saying Apple didn't show anyone typing on it in the iPad commercial because "it's Hell to type on"
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I was watching some really young kid type on one at at an Apple store today. He was absoulutly flying. I mean much faster than I can type on a regular keyboard (and I'm not bad).
Makes me laugh at the fudsters who were saying Apple didn't show anyone typing on it in the iPad commercial because "it's Hell to type on"

Mmmm... I'm amazed at even MY efficiency on the iPhone at typing (and I probably AM a fudster)!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #40 of 46
No problems typing on it here.... I find the keyboard pretty good for a soft keyboard.

IPad
"I'm loving it"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPad