or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin' - Page 2

post #41 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your local Apple store is also on the upper West Side, SoHo, and West 14th st.

The 5th Ave store is the worst one for this as people think like you do. The best store right now, because it's a bit out of the way, is the one in the Meatpacking district on West 14th st.

And it doesn't take more than about 15 minutes to get to any of them from midtown.

Huh? I live in NC near Raleigh.
post #42 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Huh? I live in NC near Raleigh.

Which 5th Ave store are you talking about? When you say "5th Ave Store", the one that will come to mind for almost anyone will be the one in NYC.
post #43 of 197
WSJ: . . . .some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

And then Apple releases sales figures which show the exact opposite.

This is how it goes.
post #44 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Which 5th Ave store are you talking about? When you say "5th Ave Store", the one that will come to mind for almost anyone will be the one in NYC.

Now I'm confused. Are you responding to me or melgross? He started mentioning stores that are nowhere even close to me seeing as I live in North Carolina.
post #45 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Now I'm confused. Are you responding to me or melgross? He started mentioning stores that are nowhere even close to me seeing as I live in North Carolina.

Hmmm! I seem to have clicked on the wrong post when I hit the button.

I meant to respond to arjny. I have no idea how I hit your post.

Now, I'M confused.
post #46 of 197
I went to the Upper West Side NYC store today, about 12:30 to avoid the crowds. At that time there were no lines. Upstairs was very crowded as everyone was checking out the ipad.
Downstairs, where those with reservations had to go... plenty of people there but no waiting at the genius counter where I picked up my reservation - which was for 1 ipad 32gb. I asked if it would be a problem if I bought a second one, since the Apple site said after 3 pm they would sell the reserved units that hadn't been bought. But I was told, "sure, no problem, I can give you a second one!".
So... now I have two Ipad's! One for me and one for the missus. My son who has been waiting since forever since he wanted a macbook but knew the ipad was coming out, got his ipad today too. He is very happy to have a portable, casual tablet computer.

Needless to say, the screen is breathtaking, CNN, NYTIMES websites look fantastic, the ibooks, videos and games are spectacular, and the apps we are used to from the iphone have a great look on the ipad as well.

Those that say its nothing but a big itouch are correct. WHY MESS WITH SUCCESS??!!

This product will become even better and more desirable as people see the fantastic new apps written expressly for the ipad come out.
post #47 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

He did buy one and reviewed it, with his usual bash Apple discord.

I won't post the link, why give that grump hit traffic?

Why even mention his name?

Who is Paul anyway?


Every now and then, for a good laugh, I will read his Vista review. He is a clown.
post #48 of 197
I am waiting for the 3G model

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #49 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I am waiting for the 3G model

Me too. I hope it's here before my daughter has to go back to school so she can see it at home.
post #50 of 197
I picked up the last 64 gig iPad at my Best Buy (Monroe ny) at 6:00 pm. They still had plenty of 32 gig models available. Glad I didn't go to an Apple store and wait in line.
post #51 of 197
new estimates are 700,000 for Saturday. Badass, if true.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #52 of 197
I don't think the model without 3G will appeal to most so I would expect the lines to be moderate. Apple allowed pre-ordering online or through your phone rep. so this is going go put a big dent in lines that the media focus on.

I ordered 4 online and no one saw. Wait till Apple's sales #s come through. Brilliant that they posted those fantastic looking apps on their web site on launch day. They look incredible!

By the way, I think Apple should avoid so much confusion in their product launches. I know they can squeeze some extra bucks out of us. I get that this is new and they want to hurry up and get at least the wi-fi model out, but it reminds me of how they sold the early iMacs without airport cards. It was an Xtra option that you paid for.

We'll soon see iPads with everything, differentiated by RAM, as it should be.
post #53 of 197
I know for me ... I have already pre-ordered the 64GB 3G iPad, so there really isn't too much need for me to go to an Apple Store on launch day if I know I'm not going to buy one. I really want the 3G connectivity for when I'm traveling, so the WiFI only model doesn't appeal to me as much.

I stood in line launch day for the orginal 2.5G iPhone and the iPhone 3GS, and I know how hectic those stores get when new products come out -- I'm honestly trying to avoid it, and I know I'm not the only person who falls into that category. I figure I will wait until Tuesday or Wednesday, and then head down to my local Apple Store in San Diego and take one for a test spin when I can actually get some solid face time with the device. Then all I have to do it wait a couple weeks for the FedEx man to bring mine to my house ...
post #54 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

new estimates are 700,000 for Saturday. Badass, if true.

Phenomenal, if true.
post #55 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

I know for me ... I have already pre-ordered the 64GB 3G iPad, so there really isn't too much need for me to go to an Apple Store on launch day if I know I'm not going to buy one. I really want the 3G connectivity for when I'm traveling, so the WiFI only model doesn't appeal to me as much.

I stood in line launch day for the orginal 2.5G iPhone and the iPhone 3GS, and I know how hectic those stores get when new products come out -- I'm honestly trying to avoid it, and I know I'm not the only person who falls into that category. I figure I will wait until Tuesday or Wednesday, and then head down to my local Apple Store in San Diego and take one for a test spin when I can actually get some solid face time with the device. Then all I have to do it wait a couple weeks for the FedEx man to bring mine to my house ...

We're not pre-ordering our 3G. My wife really likes to go to the Apple store for this kind of thing. We waited on line for our iPhones. It's a very happy atmosphere in the lines and in the stores. Getting it from a delivery service just seems too sterile for this. I bought their 24" iMacs that way, but I think we can manage to carry this home without a heavy hand cart.

Of course, if you don't live within reasonable distance from a store that carries it, then pre-ordering it is required.
post #56 of 197
I was heading home from a haircut and followed the UPS truck right to my house! Best line ever. That said, this thing feels like a little tank! It is heavy holding one-handed for any long period of time.

I'm also a bit sad that I may endue needing the Apple case so I can screen-type from my lap more effectively (or find the right pillow or maybe lap-beanbag). I hate the idea of putting something so pretty into a case.
post #57 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoug View Post

I'm also a bit sad that I may endue needing the Apple case so I can screen-type from my lap more effectively (or find the right pillow or maybe lap-beanbag). I hate the idea of putting something so pretty into a case.

Apparently, you can't even lay it flat on a table and type because of its rounded back? What's with that? Seems like cross legged or with a case stand is the only way to type on the iPad?

Does anyone think Apple will release sales numbers for the iPad? Seems like they're always kinda secretive, or combine total sales of several products in their reports.
post #58 of 197
I think one of the things the journalists don't realize is that Apple really know how to deal with these launches.

When I went to pick up our iPhones GSes on the first day at the Valley Fair mall, I had to wait less than 10 minutes before I got into the store. There was an assistant ready to set up everything and it took no time at all before I left the store. They can move pre-ordered pick ups very quickly. This is very different from the first iPhone launch which was more chaotic.

Add in that the iPad could also be shipped to your door and it is not surprising that the lines are thinner.
post #59 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Either iPads are sold out or they are not. Are they?

And, if they are, either you are happy or not. Are you?
post #60 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Apparently, you can't even lay it flat on a table and type because of its rounded back? What's with that? Seems like cross legged or with a case stand is the only way to type on the iPad?

Does anyone think Apple will release sales numbers for the iPad? Seems like they're always kinda secretive, or combine total sales of several products in their reports.

People want thin. Or the appearance of the thinnest look. Tapering the case does that. It also makes it more comfortable to hold. Something's got to give.

While Apple hasn't yet seen fit to separate the iPod Touch sales from iPod sales in general, though recently, they've given more of a hint of sales for it, they've always given sales numbers for the iPhone, because it's in its own category.

Hopefully, they will see the iPad that way as well, allowing then to give out numbers.
post #61 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

People want thin. Or the appearance of the thinnest look. Tapering the case does that. It also makes it more comfortable to hold. Something's got to give.

As well as increased rigidity.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, if they are, either you are happy or not. Are you?

He fails to see how it can be both. The store I was at was out of every capacity but 16GB, I know of at least one store without any supply left and I'm sure some still have all three models in stock.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #63 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As well as increased rigidity.

It's more rigid because of the taper, that's true. In the review of either Gizmodo or Engadget, the rigidity was mentioned, as well as the fact that the aluminum shell seems to be machined like the MacBook cases.
post #64 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's more rigid because of the taper, that's true. In the review of either Gizmodo or Engadget, the rigidity was mentioned, as well as the fact that the aluminum shell seems to be machined like the MacBook cases.

I was trying to discern that earlier on iFixit and I haven't read any review that mentions it. The stepping makes me think it can't be any pressing technique I'm aware of and it clearly looks machined. Which is pretty awesome for this type of device.

I assume that this yields three strengthening results over pressing: allows for stress points to be thicker, tighter specs for more accurate sizing, and no weakening of material from pressing process. That is just my speculation, from what you've stated on here over the years you are considerably more familiar with aluminium.

This also implies that Apple has got their machined systems down pat which means we aren't likely to deviate away from them in future Mac notebooks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #65 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

new estimates are 700,000 for Saturday. Badass, if true.

source?
post #66 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Apparently, you can't even lay it flat on a table and type because of its rounded back? What's with that? Seems like cross legged or with a case stand is the only way to type on the iPad?

Does anyone think Apple will release sales numbers for the iPad? Seems like they're always kinda secretive, or combine total sales of several products in their reports.

I watched a couple different people type with the thing laying flat on the table, and they seemed to have no problem at all. (haven't tried myself)
post #67 of 197
I'd just spend too much time, well, all my time, diddling around on it, not doing what I should be doing. I'd sit with it and when I finish doing one thing I didn't need to be doing I'd start doing another. And after that I'd check to see if any new apps showed up since I last checked ten minutes ago.


Score one more for Apple, but I stayed away.


Maybe tomorrow.
post #68 of 197
I neglected to quote their posts, but Ireland and Melgross have it exactly right. Why can't everyone understand that?

I've got apps on my iPhone I've never used because of the small screen. And we have three Macs in the house, including a loaded-for-bear tower. Sometimes I just want to surf the web from a coffee table. Or get to IMDB.COM when I'm watching TV in bed.

After using my iPad for eight hours, it's everything I wanted, plus.
post #69 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I watched a couple different people type with the thing laying flat on the table, and they seemed to have no problem at all. (haven't tried myself)

I saw a video of a little kid trying to use one while it was on a table and his dad had to hold it so it wouldn't move around. That's all I'm going by. Haven't seen one in person. Maybe it was the swiping motion that was the problem and typing would be ok.
post #70 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

source?

http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/04/0...the-first-day/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #71 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Or it could be that there's really not a compelling reason to buy it at this point.

Yes. And it's a new sort of product, so who 'knows' if they need one? The iPhone was a different animal - everyone already KNOWS they want/need a phone. And the iPod was enough like popular portable music players that had gone before (the Walkman), that people grasped the concept pretty readily.

It's completely up to the early adopters now: If they love the thing, word will spread and others will follow. If not, Apple has just produced Newton II.
post #72 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Yes. And it's a new sort of product, so who 'knows' if they need one? <snip>

It's completely up to the early adopters now: If they love the thing, word will spread and others will follow. If not, Apple has just produced Newton II.

I don't think there's much doubt iPad will be a success. Like you say though, it's up to each individual to decide if they want/need/will use one. I have no idea myself.
post #73 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

I saw a video of a little kid trying to use one while it was on a table and his dad had to hold it so it wouldn't move around. That's all I'm going by. Haven't seen one in person.


Well, now I'm convinced. I had no problems, but dang, I must have been a fool to think I could stand up to such evidence.

Now I'm DEFINITELY not getting it until Tuesday.
post #74 of 197
I had one reserved at an Apple store but heard about Best Buy having so I went there instead because it was closer to me and picked up a 16gb model. No lines but man does Best Buy try everything to convince you to by their service protection plan. I overheard one employee say you should get the service plan because with something this delicate you are just about guaranteed you will drop it. I mean he pushed hard. I had this girl that did the same with me but kept saying no. I hate Best Buy otherwise, but was glad I could get my iPad today.

The iPad experience is amazing when you use it in your hands rather than reading blogs about it. Use it and you too will see what makes it amazing.

I don't care what anyone says or what any blog post says about the iPad, I'm very happy with it.

.....typed on while using my new iPad
post #75 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was trying to discern that earlier on iFixit and I haven't read any review that mentions it. The stepping makes me think it can't be any pressing technique I'm aware of and it clearly looks machined. Which is pretty awesome for this type of device.

I assume that this yields three strengthening results over pressing: allows for stress points to be thicker, tighter specs for more accurate sizing, and no weakening of material from pressing process. That is just my speculation, from what you've stated on here over the years you are considerably more familiar with aluminium.

This also implies that Apple has got their machined systems down pat which means we aren't likely to deviate away from them in future Mac notebooks.

What I've also noticed both from the description of how the antenna sits within a machined well under the Apple logo, and the shape of the circuit boards, which also look to fit the machined curves, the unit doesn't need fasteners for some of the assemblies, only what looks to be a rubber based adhesive, which makes it more resistant to shock.

The descriptions of it being extremely rigid, unusual for such a thin device (Remember the Titanium Powerbook?), points to a machined shell. As it's been described as thicker than usually what's seen, that clinches it for me.

Getting that for an inexpensive device (yes, $499 is inexpensive, look at some of the pricing from other manufacturers) bodes well for Apple being able to get the process down in price as Jobs said they would.

Some of the apps and hardware for this are great.

Man, I just can't wait to get mine!
post #76 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

...man does Best Buy try everything to convince you to by their service protection plan. I overheard one employee say you should get the service plan because with something this delicate you are just about guaranteed you will drop it. I mean he pushed hard. I had this girl that did the same with me but kept saying no.

I think those employees are threatened with death if they don't push a service plan, both in sales and at check-out.
post #77 of 197
I posted this somewhere else but I think it got lost on one of the sub-sub-forums (really, following all the iPad posts is pointlessly random, don't we think?), but today over in Emeryville in the Bay Area there was a line at 3pm. Well, two lines actually, one for the people actually buying iPads and one just to get into the store.

They were explaining to everyone that they weren't actually open for normal business-- all you could do was purchase an iPad or be escorted to a table to look at an iPad, under the watchful eye of an employee. Employee kinda wanted to give me a "demo", but I demurred. I want to go back when I can just play around with the thing and not have someone breathing down my neck.

At any rate, out here anyway, iPad fever seems to be in full swing.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #78 of 197
I had an idea right after Jobs announced this. For those with a fetish for hardware keyboards, you should know that there is an easy way to do this. If I were interested in starting another company, I would already be producing one.

It's really easy. Make a rigid sleeve for the iPad to slide into securely. then put a hinge on the long edge. On the other side of the hinge, build in a thin bluetooth keyboard the length of the iPad, which is a fair amount longer than the screen.

Give it a magnetic latch to hold it when closed, and Bingo! One iPhone OS notebook!

This could be done for $75.

I wonder if someone is working on this.

I've got some other ideas as well.
post #79 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Now I'm DEFINITELY not getting it until Tuesday.

What must I do to convince you to wait until Wednesday?
post #80 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

The iPad experience is amazing when you use it in your hands rather than reading blogs about it. Use it and you too will see what makes it amazing.

I don't care what anyone says or what any blog post says about the iPad, I'm very happy with it.

.....typed on while using my new iPad


Bingo.

I love reading posts by people with doomsday negatives about any product they only know about from third hand accounts of videos of children who can't properly use a toothbrush much less a computer, because I know I can just skip the whole post, it's meaningless.

The only way we'll know if the iPad is a disappointment is if the people who bought them end up thinking so. We'll never find out from anyone else. Can't type without sliding? Too glaring to read? Too anything, not enough of something else? If you didn't buy one, or at least use one for a week, I won't read your foolishness.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'