or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First Look: iPad

First Look: iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post

As far as I can tell the USB is only for importing photos- with an adapter. Just put a dang USB port on it and you can move files around effortlessly...seriously. What would that cost them 50 cents?!

That's what I thought you were getting at. Having one of the 4 standard USB port types does not make one iota of difference in the OS' ability to act like an external drive. Apple has not added Disk Sharing to any of the iPhone OS devices at this time.

Some think they will with iPhone OS v4.0. If they do, it will be just like with the iPod OS, you just plug it like you would to sync or charge and it would show up as an attached drive on the system.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by surefire View Post

The ipad v keyboard is very accurate once you give up all hope trying to touch type on it.

You should not give up trying to touch type after only a couple of hours. How long did it take you to learn to touch type in the first place? Have a little patience.
post #43 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayser View Post

Very good analogy. I worked out a similar analogy for both the questions :

It is just a big iPod Touch ?
= Is dinner plate just a big saucer ?

Why would I need iPad when I can do everything with my MacBook ?
= Why do I need dinner plate when I could eat in my frying pan ?

iPod is a fail. It does not have USB, or filesystem as my macbook ?
Dinner plate is a fail. It does not have handle or teflon coating like my frying pan ?

Haha, that made my day. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple's free iBooks app, which recommends itself upon first visit to the App Store, bundles a copy of "Winnie-the-Pooh," which sucked me into paging through an entire chapter before I realized I was reading a children's book, even if it is a cleverly written classic.

This also was great news And yes, probably waiting for the 3G version to come out... or just waiting for my Macbook Pro to die. Not sure which will come first
post #44 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by veblen View Post

He did say it was a dream to type on. I must have blocked it out with all the other superlatives he was using. Did you purchase the apple case? I'm finding the incline it provides helps a lot.

It was a last minute split decision to buy the iPad, for me
I got it at a local best buy store. Lucky me I got there early enough. They only stocked 16 just like in the rumors.

They didn't have the case. I wept. Do u think I still have a chance to get the case say on sunday or do u think it's all out stock by now. Perhaps I shud go into an apple store instead
post #45 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You should not give up trying to touch type after only a couple of hours. How long did it take you to learn to touch type in the first place? Have a little patience.

Are u sure that it is really possible to tough type on the thing without too many annoying mistakes. I admit I am not the fastest typist but Is it really possible to use all fingers
to type as it seems a bit cramped. I find I can only use only two fingers , my middle fingers comfortably

Asdfjklleat me try and see if I can really use all fingers to type fszslonv jfozd. Jfitjhid thing las
Ruf jf jfkjd

U see! I am making way to many mistakes. My fingers can't even fit on the cramped keyboard

Or are u smoking something too? Can I have some? Just kidding...
post #46 of 102
Quote:

I got it at a local best buy store. Lucky me I got there early enough. They only stocked 16 just like in the rumors.

They didn't have the case. I wept. Do u think I still have a chance to get the case say on sunday or do u think it's all out stock by now. Perhaps I shud go into an apple store instead

They were running low on cases at the best buy where I purchased mine at as well. I would imagine the apple store would have more stock on hand.
post #47 of 102
Quote:

Are u sure that it is really possible to tough type on the thing without too many annoying mistakes. I admit I am not the fastest typist but Is it really possible to use all fingers
to type as it seems a bit cramped. I find I can only use only two fingers , my middle fingers comfortably

Asdfjklleat me try and see if I can really use all fingers to type fszslonv jfozd. Jfitjhid thing las
Ruf jf jfkjd

U see! I am making way to many mistakes. My fingers can't even fit on the cramped keyboard

Or are u smoking something too? Can I have some? Just kidding...

I agree. I don't know how it would be possible to touch type on a flat surface keyboard. At most I'm able to use three fingers on each hand. The more I use it the faster I get though.
post #48 of 102
"It doesn't feel cheep and rattling..."

You meant 'cheap', right? Just sayin'.
post #49 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I watched a demo of one a few days ago that looked pretty good. I don't know what it was called though.

I downloaded Connect to PC, and for network printing, PrintCentral. I haven't tested them yet, however.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

post #50 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

I downloaded Connect to PC, and for network printing, PrintCentral. I haven't tested them yet, however.

Thanks. I"ll check Connect to PC out.
post #51 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Oh we'll get there.

yes, the world needs more locked down devices
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #52 of 102
Quote:

Unsightly adapters vs. unsightly holes.

Not an easy decision to make.

added a word to fix it
post #53 of 102
Quote:

I still can't understand how this thing doesn't have a USB port...

Seriously I don't get it.

As other people have pointed out, it does. Just not a standard A- or B- port.
(BTW, one thing I'm not clear on and perhaps someone can straighten me out, does the iPad have a USB *host* controller chip in it, or only a peripheral chip?)

I suspect that Apple could wing a USB stick driver for the purposes of downloading photos from a flash card; but without a true host controller (or OTG controller), they're not going to be connecting too many peripherals to an iPad.

Then again, what peripherals do we really need? Bluetooth and WiFi handle most of the devices I'd want to hook up.

Sure, I'd love to add more storage, but as a developer I'm quite aware of the limitations of the iPhone OS file system, so I'm not sure there'd be much to gain by adding a USB memory stick to the thing.

Joysticks and game controllers would be nice for gamers, but my understanding is that people can already build game controllers for Apple's 30-pin connector; where are those things at?

The way I figure it, my Mac is my USB peripheral for an iPad. And it can do just about anything I'd want a standalone USB device to do (even be portable, if I use my MBP).

Of course, *your* use case may be different than mine; perhaps you absolutely, positively, *must* connect a USB device to your tablet computer. No sweat. Buy someone else's tablet. I don't think Apple will miss your sale or sales to people who have the exact same use case as you do. Lots of people couldn't handle the limitations of the iPod; they bought RIOs and even (God help them) Zunes. Most were very happy with their decision and recommended their device to all their friends. That didn't stop Apple from selling a boatload of iPods, however, I suspect you'll find that the lack of a USB port is not going to stop Apple from selling a boatload of iPads.

Personally, I think the failure case is that Apple left off the firewire port. Or maybe a floppy drive :-)
post #54 of 102
Has anyone read whether or not the GPS in the 3G version requires active 3G service from AT&T to operate?

That is, if one isn't paying for 3G service, is the GPS "fully active" or is it only the WiFi-model quality of GPS?

I'm unlikely to pay for 3G service, since I have an iPhone, but I do want my future iPad to be as efficient and accurate with GPS as possible in order to take advantage of all the great location based service apps there are or will be.
post #55 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_p View Post

Andy Ithnatko on a Fox.com Strategy Session, Gadgets and Games online broadcast stated he could type over 50 WPM. Money was laid on the table. Andy demonstrated his speed on camera. Andy's had his iPad for over a week.

I saw that last night and it was quite impressive. Almost looked like they sped up the video tape, he was so fast.
post #56 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

I saw that last night and it was quite impressive. Almost looked like they sped up the video tape, he was so fast.

The only downfall is you have to look at what you are typing, but I think that's a deal-breaker when you consider the drawbacks of physical keyboards on small devices.

I don't think it will be too many years before there is some sort of physical response to mimic spacing between keys. Perhaps sometime after that even electronic consumer devices will also be sensitive enough for the blind to read digital braille off a glass covered display.
post #57 of 102
An earlier post that had stated there was no mute button like the iPhone is not completely right. Pressing and holding the down volume after a one click delay mutes completely. Pressing the up volume button and holding gives you an incremental increase, but to get the same type of decrease you must repeatedly click the down button. If you simply hold it down it functions as a mute button..
post #58 of 102
Quote:

dagamer34 what are u smoking? I would like some of it because u sure must be having a PIPE DREAM to think/phantom the idea of touch typing on the virtual keyboard or perhaps you u got chicken fingers. Hope u get my message and can also take a joke.

Even God, the creator of man and man the creator of iPad - even God can't touch type on the damn virtual keyboard. Well with GOD all things are possible so perhaps only GOD is capable of being productive/typing with the virtual keyboard if u get my gist

Dude, I'm sorry you are such a lousy typist. I watched two people flying on that thing today (first time they ever used one [obviously]). They had no problem. So just buy yourself a Bluetooth keyboard, and download a copy of Dragon Dictation, and get over yourself.
One cannot "Touch Type" (fingers placed on the home keys) on the iPad. If this makes it a bag of hurt for you, then you are simply a person who has more trouble adapting to alternate circumstances than others do.
On a personal note; I'm glad you got bamboozled by Steve. That makes me happy.
post #59 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Dude, I'm sorry you are such a lousy typist. I watched two people flying on that thing today (first time they ever used one [obviously]). They had no problem. So just buy yourself a Bluetooth keyboard, and download a copy of Dragon Dictation, and get over yourself.
One cannot "Touch Type" (fingers placed on the home keys) on the iPad. If this makes it a bag of hurt for you, then you are simply a person who has more trouble adapting to alternate circumstances than others do.
On a personal note; I'm glad you got bamboozled by Steve. That makes me happy.

perhaps i need to sprinkle some GOLD DUST on my fingers (david letterman)
to achieve the speeds u guys claim to achieve
post #60 of 102
I said I was holding off opening the box til I got some work done first, thank god I did. I'll probably be up all night with this thing. Andy Anahtko was right in 5 minutes you just start using the product instead of admiring the novelty. Very slick. The civilized solution to consuming all media on the couch - particularly if you procrastinated getting a large TV after ditching the previous one in another state.

Much snappier than the iPhone ever was - it's just fluid.
post #61 of 102
i need me a pair of MAGIC FINGERS to be able to type fast
post #62 of 102
Quote:

Does kinda, the (upcoming) camera kit provides a Usb plug.
post #63 of 102
Quote:

As far as I can tell the USB is only for importing photos- with an adapter. Just put a dang USB port on it and you can move files around effortlessly...seriously. What would that cost them 50 cents?!

By that logic they should add any and all ports someone thinks they need or want simpley because the port assembly itself is inexpensive.

You still haven't mentioned WHY you need standard USB port on the device or which USB port you'd expect on the device: A, B Mini or Micro?
post #64 of 102
Quote:

Sfbags.com for the win. I got both the case and the sleeve. I can't plug them enough - they're really good. Already got the case BEFORE the pad came out today - the sleeve is shipping Monday.
post #65 of 102
One thing that I thought looked large during the demo was the bezel, but after using it all day I just noticed that I have to move my thumbs outward to a slightly move uncomfortable position when trying to look at the whole screen. Who would have thunk, and I don't have huge thumbs?
post #66 of 102
i hope thats not a REAL  I-PAD  they destroyed ...

i mean they could have waited for a building collapse or a plane crash or a mud slide to fish out a broken slightly ipad to rip apart

sick

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #67 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i hope thats not a REAL  I-PAD  they destroyed ...

i mean they could have waited for a building collapse or a plane crash or a mud slide to fish out a broken slightly ipad to rip apart

sick

They're making millions so I think one can be sacrificed for the greater good of the tech community. They even acquired help to x-ray the A4 chip which revealed even more details.

There looks to be one person who bought an iPad and beat it to shreds with a bat. Now that is an action I simply don't understand.
post #68 of 102
Quote:

To those who are proud to have coined the idea that "the iPhone OS is all about consuming information rather than creating anything": maybe you need to dig a little deeper. Even without a physical keyboard, the hands-on touch features of iPad are clearly creating all sorts of ways to build original content.

An important point. iWork has already been given the touch treatment. Expect to see more productivity apps (and some entirely new ones) designed specifically for the iPad. The possibilities are legion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

The earth shook today.

Oh, and netbooks are toast.

yea baby
the mojo was all over the place
Quote:

While I agree that the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch can certainly be used for creation and not just consumption, I think the dictum is accurate and I think it's clear that Apple intends for the iPad to be an accessory device, not to replace your PC.

No not clear
it is not a phone or a mbp or a accessory ??
That is very clear
So who said it was ?? Or needs to be ??
Remember the iphone dudes who created a musical band with there iphones ???

The ipad has all the tools to be a pure play inter active gaming media content communications device . YET the ipad is STILL a blank slab right now.
WHO knows what creative apps will amaze us
APPLE LEARNED THIS hard lesson with the ipod touch which right now is the number one gaming device world wide,

The ipad will do scores of computing operations that no MBP could ever hope to do .

In 2 yrs your doctor may stand over you with a ipad in hand and pull up xrays>> sans >> medical history and even play back you past spoken/video statements from your last visit to his/her office .

The black board right now is BLANK my friend !!!!

We will at some point let steve kmow exactly what he invented .. JUST like when the inner city non whites who never even touched apple radar before sought after and saved like crazy to buy ipod touch's.

Every morning on the Staten Island Ferry and 1 train uptown I see small groups of young students who have switched off from psp stuff to the ipod touch. At first I thought it was weird so many 15 yr olds with way way over sized pants could afford iphones >>Until i realized the ipodtouch was a worldwide smash hit ..

AT some point the ipad sales will out sell all APPLE branded computers .

>>>>>

the nano phone is next in line after the ATV FIX or will a future ipad version take over the ATV duties and tie into 2 TB drive and ...... did i mention server farms ???

have a great ipadian sunday guys !!!!
Quote:

Oh we'll get there.

Quote:

Quote:

Adapters vs. unsightly holes.

Not an easy decision to make.

nice back and forth
troll free

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #69 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple didn't design iPad to be a way not to sell Macs anymore. In fact, it's not only just not a notebook replacement, but actually requires being plugged into an iTunes computer before you do anything on it, just like an iPod touch (below, what you see when you turn it on).

The iPad could mark the end of the macbook Air: it is as productive, lighter, more compact and cheaper than the Air.
post #70 of 102
Quote:

While I agree that the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch can certainly be used for creation and not just consumption, I think the dictum is accurate and I think it's clear that Apple intends for the iPad to be an accessory device, not to replace your PC.

I agree with you...... It is the content creation on the iPad that leaves a lot to be desired. We we one of the first ones in line at my local Apple store. We had a reservation and had the iPad by 9:10 am. My 14 year old bought it with his own money he was saving! He loves it! It is a great entertainment device.
I think maybe after a hardware revision where they add a camera I will might have to get one!

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #71 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

The iPad could mark the end of the macbook Air: it is as productive, lighter, more compact and cheaper than the Air.

You have a very good point!. The ipad does/fits the niche what the MBA was intended to do......

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #72 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorsouthgate View Post

I have about 10 ipad to sell interested individual should contact me at victorsouthgate@yahoo.com

I hope you bought them hoping stock would run out and you would rip people off, and now you are getting ripped cause no-one will pay you full price when there is still stock
post #73 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

I hope you bought them hoping stock would run out and you would rip people off, and now you are getting ripped cause no-one will pay you full price when there is still stock

Plus there was a limit to how many each person could buy! So this is a total SCAM!!!!!

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #74 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Plus there was a limit to how many each person could buy! So this is a total SCAM!!!!!

He's probably also a crown prince from Cameroon who has recently come into an inheritance. He only needs a few thousand dollars to collect millions but is a little short. If we wire some funds to his international account we will be handsomely rewarded.
post #75 of 102
Quote:

Not yet, IMO. The Air is a very capable machine that runs apps with no equal non the iPad (at least not yet).

Some of the Apps I know people have on their Airs:

SketchUp
Garageband
iMovie
ToonBoom Studio
Photoshop (the full version)
Excel (ugh, but true)
Logic

The Air can also connect to a USB audio interface allowing the recording of high quality sound off of great mics. Hopefully, some company will make a mic connector for the iPad and a decent audio recording app to bot. That would be awesome.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #76 of 102
Overall, the iPad is one of the more incredible devices I've held in my hands - it is true that only once you use one will you appreciate what it packs into such a compact package.

Highlights:

- very fast - yes, dare I say snappy, but in the most legitimate way - not just launching apps and using them, but for many of the touch functions as well. Internet access is also blistering.
- extremely bright, detailed, and colorful screen
- tremendous battery life
- enhanced touch os greatly improves the user experience
- portability "anytime/anywhere" use cannot be underestimated
- additional screen real estate provides much more functionality for optimized apps

- Questioning...

- long term "holdability" without a case or stand - 1.5 is heavier than you think. Part of it is that back is so smooth i find my fingers don't grip it was well with casual pressure, so I have to apply more pressure, which is fatiguing after a while - a grip case will likely alleviate that, but Apple should have though about integrating rubberized panels into the backplane.

- Don't know why, but the iPad seems to smudge easier than the 3gs...likely will need a screen protector to mitigate this. But for now, general use as well as carrying it around without a case leads numerous finger or palm prints.

- I find the keyboard generally good, though at times sluggish, as though stroke are buffered. Sometimes keystrokes are registered but I don't hear the tick sound, so I think it was missed, and end up double typing.

- Haven't done much reading on it yet, but I'm wondering if a Kindle or Sony digital ink product would be better on the eyes if you intend to use it mostly for eBooks..then again, I've having an allergy attack over the past few days, so who knows WHAT'S making me a bit bleary....

So does AI have an iPad optimized web site coming soon? Happy to see the NHL released a non-flash version of their site yesterday as well (how do I load the non-flash site on my regular computer I wonder...)
post #77 of 102
Thanks for the feedback. Seems to be worth it for all it was mentioned to be. I just wish Apple would announce when it would come to India.

I have just one question for you guys who have the iPad. Is there a separate backup file created in iTunes for iPad or does it overwrite the backup file if you have an iPhone/iPod Touch?

I did read that plugging in iPad initially offers to sync an existing backup. But if you select no, what happens next?

Many thanks and continue to post your reviews.
--

There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone.
--

There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone.
post #78 of 102
Quote:

Unfortunately iPad's not a real computer, the A4 chips is just a watered down modern ARM core, and even the fastest ARM is much slower than Core2Duo inside the MBA/MBP. Please don't compare real computers with real OS's to toys with toy operating systems...
post #79 of 102
so many of the "reviews" being posted after one day complain about the "lack" of a USB port. as many note below, the iPad in fact has (limited?) USB capabilities. but more to the point, the 30 pin dock connector is the iPhone/iPad "port" instead of USB to external devices of all kinds, which the "reviews" fail to grasp.

there is a wide range of third party peripherals now available for the iPhone, and they continue to grow in variety and sophistication, often with their hardware linked to on-board apps. the iPad's larger physical form will require an adapter or alternate design for most. and new devices that take advantage of the iPad's unique abilities should also be expected (like the April Fool arcade game player?).

yes, it is true, Apple has to license these 30 pin devices. so they are part of the "walled garden," working with no other brands, and so are part of the Apple business plan.

blutooth connection to peripherals and computers is also being used by many apps as an alternative to USB as well. this is an "open" unlicensed standard mechanism, as is the ability of remote devices linked to iPhone/iPad apps communicating with them via the web (like SlingPlayer).

point is, all these pundits are hung up trying to assess the iPad as if it were a laptop/desktop computer, instead of the very different kind of animal it is.
post #80 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

to toys with toy operating systems...

Hilarious - that's EXACTLY what they called the first Mac back in the day. This thing is more revolutionary than I thought.

Thanks troll!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First Look: iPad