or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iFixit's iPad teardown finds huge dual battery, 256MB of RAM in A4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iFixit's iPad teardown finds huge dual battery, 256MB of RAM in A4 - Page 3

post #81 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I think a lighter iPad would be better than 2 batteries. Most people on this board are saying they will use this device at home. If that's the case then recharging would be a snap. If you're at a cafe or wherever you can use the outlet to recharge if you plan on using it for more than 4 hours at a cafe. All of you said you wouldn't be using it for more than brief FaceBook and email moments anyway so going past a few hours on a single battery shouldn't be an issue. Right?

So now you have to choose what camp you're in. Either you stick with your camp which means you don't need a dual battery (which means it's not the best design after all) or you switch camps which means that the iPad isn't the ideal portable device becaue you can't use it like a netbook.

I'm just going by what you guys have been flaming about.

Personally I'll still buy a 2nd gen iPad and hope for a wireless keyboard solution made out of fabric or other non-hard-plastic material that I can fold up and use on the go.

For me the battery life of the device was one of the key selling points. Being able to use it for a full day without a charge is key for me. A huge part of the utility of this device is it's mobility. Having to strap it up to charge every couple hours would ruin it in my opinion.
post #82 of 88
256MB Ram sound far too little for me. I hope they made a mistake. \
But the huge battery is great
Just my site
Reply
Just my site
Reply
post #83 of 88
I've been reading that the 256mb ram equipped iPad has regressed back to the problem that the iPhone 3G suffered from, namely Safari tabs being reloaded because the device has run out of RAM to keep them open in the background. If this is true, it's a crying shame, and as browsing is the main thing I would do with a portable device like this, it's simply out of bounds to me until Apple fix this. The reloading tabs really bugged the heck out of me on the iPhone 3G, and now that I have a 3GS, I simply won't tolerate this problem anymore.
post #84 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

Isn't that the truth.

I have a iPhone with a data package I barely use close to my limit, but I can't tether and will be forced into a another 3 year long agreement. (Canada)

No thank you and the bottom line reason why I won't be getting one, not matter how good it MAY be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i'm curious who your provider is. as far as i know tethering is included with most data plan in canada (for now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

The problem isn't the tethering from the provider. I was sure I read an Apple source quoted as saying you WON'T be able to tether the iPad. It's either buy the WiFi+3G package initially or you're out of luck.

Found link: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nd_iphone.html

@Headrush69 - In your first post it seemed like you were saying you can't tether with your iPhone. Is that correct? And are you assuming the iPad will be the same?

Tethering is allowed by Fido and Rogers for the iPhone. Of course we won't know about the iPad until the 11th hour when our wonderful Canadian providers decided to tell us how great we have it with their terrible rate plans.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #85 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

BLUETOOTH? How the hell are you going to get video transfer rates across Bluetooth? I mean, you would have to compress the HELL out of it.

I find a plugged-into-the-dock-connector's-USB-bus camera FAR more likely.

You do realize that BT 2.1EDR has a theoretical peak bandwidth of 3Mbit which is plenty for a decent quality video stream? And if the iPad supported BT 3.0HS (it might, dunno), it would have a peak speed of 24Mbit (this requires BT and WiFi tho).

So it is more than possible to get decent video streamed over BT.
post #86 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I've been reading that the 256mb ram equipped iPad has regressed back to the problem that the iPhone 3G suffered from, namely Safari tabs being reloaded because the device has run out of RAM to keep them open in the background. If this is true, it's a crying shame, and as browsing is the main thing I would do with a portable device like this, it's simply out of bounds to me until Apple fix this. The reloading tabs really bugged the heck out of me on the iPhone 3G, and now that I have a 3GS, I simply won't tolerate this problem anymore.

Yup. The cost/benefit of early adopters. They get to use a nice device early but will suffer for it with early deficiencies. I'm surprised that Apple chose 256 MB RAM. One of the reasons to hold on a version and wait for the version 2 or 3. I'm sure part of it was to ensure an upgrade path over the next few years.

I'm very suspicious that 6 months from now, iPad gen 2 arrive with 512 MB RAM and 32, 64, 128 GB storage plus a webcam. iPad gen 1 is very much your typical gen 1 Apple product where Apple did everything they could reasonably do to pare down features to ship on time.
post #87 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Yup. The cost/benefit of early adopters. They get to use a nice device early but will suffer for it with early deficiencies. I'm surprised that Apple chose 256 MB RAM. One of the reasons to hold on a version and wait for the version 2 or 3. I'm sure part of it was to ensure an upgrade path over the next few years.

I'm very suspicious that 6 months from now, iPad gen 2 arrive with 512 MB RAM and 32, 64, 128 GB storage plus a webcam. iPad gen 1 is very much your typical gen 1 Apple product where Apple did everything they could reasonably do to pare down features to ship on time.

I can understand why it happens. These devices are specified months/years in advance where I guess the expectation was that 256mb would be sufficient. To backtrack and add another 256mb of RAM would probably write off a few months worth of sales. This is where the V2 of the product steps in to correct the earlier mistakes.

What surprises me though is that Apple tripped up with this. I'd expect it from a company with very tight margins, but since Apple commands such a premium, I'd hope for them to conjure up something they consider 'sufficient', and then add a little bit extra just in case. The OS the iPad ended up with must be a little bit more bloated than Apple originally anticipated.
post #88 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I can understand why it happens. These devices are specified months/years in advance where I guess the expectation was that 256mb would be sufficient. To backtrack and add another 256mb of RAM would probably write off a few months worth of sales. This is where the V2 of the product steps in to correct the earlier mistakes.

What surprises me though is that Apple tripped up with this. I'd expect it from a company with very tight margins, but since Apple commands such a premium, I'd hope for them to conjure up something they consider 'sufficient', and then add a little bit extra just in case. The OS the iPad ended up with must be a little bit more bloated than Apple originally anticipated.

There are plenty of reasons why they thought 256 MB RAM was adequate. It could have been Apple wanted to ship 4 to 6 months ago sometime November to January. If it shipped in Fall of 2009, it would have seemed fine. Any number of things could have delayed it.

Anyways, as a version 2 or 3 guy, waiting has it's benefits. 512 MB to 1 GB RAM, 128 to 256 GB storage and a web cam will be the sweetspot like the 32 GB iPhone 3GS. Everything will be more robust, apps better designed, content bountiful, and many bugs fixed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iFixit's iPad teardown finds huge dual battery, 256MB of RAM in A4
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iFixit's iPad teardown finds huge dual battery, 256MB of RAM in A4