or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8

Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8 - Page 4

post #121 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

What aspects of OS4 will give them breathing room ahead of Android?

I was wondering that myself since I still don't consider android an improvement over the iPhone 3 OS...
post #122 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Don't know why they didn't release it on same date as iPad???

Marketing 101. That's why. It keeps them on the headlines for longer. They will be on a roll now staying on the spotlight until the summer. Then they will hammer the Macs again ready for the back to school season (together with a healthy dose of iPad e-book for the kids at school)
post #123 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I don't believe an operating system can upgrade your hardware.

C.

It's code for the nanobots to grow a new camera. You put the iPhone next to a penny and a pinch of sand, then press the home button 3 times.
post #124 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Background audio (in AND out) is the only kind of multitasking I want that the iPhone doesnt already have.

That would solve many multi-tasking issues. Here's another solution to many problems that wouldn't require arbitrary multi-tasking:

Allow apps like Instapaper or ReadItLater to have streamlined processes that can be launched for fetching new data in the background. These could be polled at fixed intervals, like the Mail fetch settings. Better yet, this functionality could be triggered by push notifications or directly by the current app when adding a link to one of these.

Have a global system setting for all such apps and way to trigger all syncing - would be most useful for iPod Touch owners before leaving a Wi-Fi area.
post #125 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i'll bet that the new iphone will be AT LEAST as fast as the ipad, which right now blows any other smaart phone OS off the map
the big surprise is how did they get the performance from this chip that others by spec haven't been able to do
all those new droids etc now will be slow and need upgrade counter to the typical time of customer upgrades. also will put many on notice for upgrade since who wants to buy anything now till june BEFORE they compare to iphone 4.0

it will give us huge insight to iphone 4.0, and hope for an :SJ "surprise"

and when do schools purchase there IT stuff???? decisions must include iPad and iphone 4.0 as options.

What many fail to realize, is that Apple is able to get more with less than the 'competitors.' Other products are paper tigers- good-lookig specs, yet poor performance. The superior OS and combination of hardware is why an iPad with only 265 MB RAM blows away any other tablets or netbooks, speed-wise. I'm sure iPhone 4.0 will do the same to other smart-phones.
post #126 of 218
Quote:

What do you base this on? Have you read benchmark reviews? I've never heard anything like that.

All I have heard is that the iPad is faster than the iPhone.

Isn't Apple's new A4 going to be in the new iPhone? Seems reasonable to assume if they put the same hardware in a device with a much smaller screen, that it will not only be faster than the current gen iPhone, but any other smart-phone, as well.
post #127 of 218
I can't wait until 4.0 goes to beta for developers; I will renew my membership as a developer.

I love the iPhone, it has totally changed my Internet and picture-taking life. I like to use shredders to soothe my hectic life, its like I'm a baby and the paper shredding is my warm milk.

I love the iPhone, it has totally changed my Internet and picture-taking life. I like to use shredders to soothe my hectic life, its like I'm a baby and the paper shredding is my warm milk.

post #128 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

What many fail to realize, is that Apple is able to get more with less than the 'competitors.' Other products are paper tigers- good-lookig specs, yet poor performance. The superior OS and combination of hardware is why an iPad with only 265 MB RAM blows away any other tablets or netbooks, speed-wise. I'm sure iPhone 4.0 will do the same to other smart-phones.

Word!

Quote:

Isn't Apple's new A4 going to be in the new iPhone? Seems reasonable to assume if they put the same hardware in a device with a much smaller screen, that it will not only be faster than the current gen iPhone, but any other smart-phone, as well.

I'd expect them to use it or a variant of the A4. I wouldn't expect it to be 1GHz. The 3GS is pretty fast with the 600MHz ARMv7. If they clock it to 800MHz and give us more battery, I'll take that over a 1GHz with less battery.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #129 of 218
4.0 needs multitasking at the very least.

It'll be interesting to see how fragmentation will be dealt with, as this is continuing to be a troubling situation for the platform with the iPhone 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 software, the iPod implementations, and now the iPad.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #130 of 218
Quote:

It burns me that I cannot ditch iTunes and use the syncing software of my choice. iTunes is bloated and buggy. I would use other software if it were available.

After using other software like winamp I have no issue with iTunes. It's actually quit powerful, especially the smart playlists. Yes, it can hang from time to time (then again I have over 100,000 items in my library and realize that I am an extreme use case) but I'm sure many of the current performance issues will be resolved with a native coco version.

Quote:
I'd like to see something modular, which would allow simple adding of content without having to go through the entire song and dance of verifying, backing up, etc. every damn time.

Hmm - neither my iPad nor iphone verify every time I sync. And you can disable all or cancel individual backups - although I wouldn't as the automatic backups have saved me on multiple occasions

I just wish they could be turned on to automatically happen in the background as soon as I am in range of my home wifi. Or even with an option to only do it while connected to power. It's annoyingly inconvenient as it is...
post #131 of 218
Quote:

I don't see it happening unless/until a proper stylus is available. The stylii I've seen for capacitive screens are all junk, and they all have a big, dull "point", which is less than optimal for writing.

I was handed one of the commonly available stylus to sign for my iPad on their iPod touch at the Apple store and while it looked blunt, it worked perfectly and far better than my finger.

Quote:
I'd be surprised if capacitive technology could be used for something like handwriting recognition - it seems (currently, anyhow) to be way too crude.

Just from my experience signing on an iPod touch the screen and machine is way more responsive and higher resolution/more accurate than my Newton - which works just fine to this day.

It's not a technical issue, but a philosophical one
post #132 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

4.0 needs multitasking at the very least.

It would be nice, especially for Pandora, but I can certainly survive without it.

Quote:

It'll be interesting to see how fragmentation will be dealt with, as this is continuing to be a troubling situation for the platform with the iPhone 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 software, the iPod implementations, and now the iPad.

My products work beautifully, what is fragmentation and should I be concerned?
post #133 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Ohhhhhh. NOW I get it.

"Microsoft plans April 12 mystery event: Pulling another page from Apple's playbook, Microsoft has sent out a cryptic invitation to lure reporters to an upcoming event, while offering almost no clue as to what will be introduced."

Yeah, they are going to pull those ms phones out of their asses 4 years too late.

It's pitiful how the windoze crowd still hope MS will somehow make the vapourware that is the courier (another inspired name; fedex and ups are expected to be the main competitors it seems) materialise out of thin air from all the mock ups for this event...
post #134 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhub View Post

Bad poster design, it looks like a cross tombstone

Reminds me of the Fantastic Four more-like

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #135 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

My products work beautifully, what is fragmentation and should I be concerned?

Assuming you have the latest model, it's not a problem. It's a concern if you are one of the thousands who bought a 1st gen iPhone who expects the features in the 4.0 version to be fully applicable to their phone. Or expecting the features of iPhone, like 3g service, on the iPod touch. It's all fragmentation.

Ste...

Ste...
post #136 of 218
Quote:

It's all fragmentation.

If you think that's fragmentation then Android Is Doomed
post #137 of 218
Quote:

Hellooooooo......... 'fragmentation?' You're funny (or stupid.)
post #138 of 218
Someone please help me... are they saying the iPhone 4.0 OS will be ready to download on Thursday or that it will only be previewed on Thursday, but we must wait until mid-summer to download it when they release the new iPhone?

To me it sounds like Thursday is only a preview but the OS won't officially be released until June/July. How do some of you read it? Thank you in advance.

Either way I am looking forward to the multi-tasking and other features, and also looking forward to the Apple haters and trolls having one less thing to bytch and moan about.
post #139 of 218
I seriously can not wait until this day. I would be so happy if the launch it then. But either way they should give iPhone/iPod touch a update then either 3.2 or maybe 3.3 i dont know but this i hope is a major update that we iPhoners and iPod touchers will benefit and enjoy. Personally I dont give a rats about the next generation iPhone
post #140 of 218
Quote:

What do you base this on? Have you read benchmark reviews? I've never heard anything like that.

All I have heard is that the iPad is faster than the iPhone.

here
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/24673/

as far as preview vs release what was done with 2.0 3.x???
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #141 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

someone please help me... Are they saying the iphone 4.0 os will be ready to download on thursday or that it will only be previewed on thursday, but we must wait until mid-summer to download it when they release the new iphone?

To me it sounds like thursday is only a preview but the os won't officially be released until june/july. How do some of you read it? Thank you in advance.

Either way i am looking forward to the multi-tasking and other features, and also looking forward to the apple haters and trolls having one less thing to bytch and moan about.

i think its a preview it always is. If it was the release we all would be happy as hell but they usually give time for the developers and for the next gen. Iphone. Crossed fingers its a release or even 3.2 would be good for me just want something new for my iphone.
post #142 of 218
Quote:

What do you base this on? Have you seen any bechmark tests?

Or is this mere speculation?

I have used many netbooks and the iPad. There is no comparison speed wise browsing the internet. The iPad wins hands down.
post #143 of 218
Maybe developer beta thursday? I'd bet money on yes.
post #144 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Someone please help me... are they saying the iPhone 4.0 OS will be ready to download on Thursday or that it will only be previewed on Thursday, but we must wait until mid-summer to download it when they release the new iPhone?

To me it sounds like Thursday is only a preview but the OS won't officially be released until June/July. How do some of you read it? Thank you in advance.

Either way I am looking forward to the multi-tasking and other features, and also looking forward to the Apple haters and trolls having one less thing to bytch and moan about.

OMG, what part of SNEAK Peek don't you understand?!
post #145 of 218
Quote:

Why would you assume that it will be faster than any other smartphone?

And besides, the OP said that the iPad OS is faster than any current smartphone. That is what is being discussed.

Whether an iPhone which does not yet exist will be faster than other phones which do not yet exist is beside the point.

I was wondering whether he had any basis for his statement. Your speculation about non-existent products is not interesting.

As I stated. The iPad is fast- faster than any phone I have browsed the internet with. A phone with the same processor and smaller screen would be even faster.
Don't comment on my non-interesting posts then.
post #146 of 218
Quote:

Assuming you have the latest model, it's not a problem. It's a concern if you are one of the thousands who bought a 1st gen iPhone who expects the features in the 4.0 version to be fully applicable to their phone. Or expecting the features of iPhone, like 3g service, on the iPod touch. It's all fragmentation.

Kinda like how my mom had to buy a whole new computer because she simply couldn't upgrade to Vista. I guess that's to be expected, companies eventually stop supporting old technology - that's life. Most consumers are aware that what they bought yesterday will be obsolete in a few years. Especially in the technology sector.

No biggie.
post #147 of 218
Quote:

Gotcha. I thought that you had some facts to base things upon, rather than mere anecdotal experiences. Sorry to have misunderstood.

You should go out into the wild and experience an iPad first-hand. Something as objective as a performance test does not paint a vivid picture - you have to experience it.
post #148 of 218
I don't understand how anyone could think Apple won't give this update to existing iPad users for free. It's at least several months away. If they don't offer a free update, they'd be risking the Osborne Effect. Apple's not that stupid.
post #149 of 218
Quote:

That doesn't support your contention that the iPad is faster than any smartphone.

Let's see the Nexus One is the smartphone with the best performance on paper and the iPad trounces it. It sounds like you aren't going to accept any answer that shows the iPad looking good.

Quote:

Thanks. I was looking for something objective, based upon current netbooks.

His comments don't sound objective. I read nothing about his feelings or some opinion he didn't form by actual usage. It's surely anecdotal, but all of these comparisons are. The difference is you the history of the tester along with other testers and you can get a pretty informed answer.

Netbooks have more performance on paper than the iPad. They have at least 1GB RAM and an Atom CPU over ARm with a faster clock rate, but the reality is they are slower for doing pretty much every comparable task before of the OS and app overhead. It's like taking the engine in a Bugatti Veyron and putting it in a dump truck then racing an Ariel Atom. The engine you started with may have been fast and powerful but you kludge it up with a bunch of weighty code it's going to perform the way you want it.
post #150 of 218
Quote:

That doesn't support your contention that the iPad is faster than any smartphone.

It says that the iPad is faster than the iPhone.

Okay, how about this? This compares iPad, iPhone 3GS and Nexus One.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3633/a...han-snapdragon
post #151 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Things I’d like to see...
  • Gaming API that allows for touch controls on screen that can be instantly linked to a HW D-pad accessory. Making it easy for developers to make this virtual to physical connection via the 30-pin connector without having to build for a specific HW vendor making the D-Pad. This would open up the gaming accessory market by standardizing the developers efforts while making it simple to do. It would also help bring more and better games to the platform and hardcore mobile gamers wouldn’t feel be afraid that they’d have to buy multiple HW D-pads for different game vendors.
  • Lockscreen that allows for Widgets, like weather, stocks, rich notifications, whatever.
  • Allow for default page when entering iPhone to show running widgets (or mini-apps) instead of the top 16 apps (only showing bottom row apps).
  • New Homepage Widget API so that devs can sell really cool Widgets on the App Store.
  • Multitasking for the 3GS and newer devices with Apple creating backgrounding API, devs utilizing it as needed and then users turning it on and enabling it for the backgroundable apps.
  • Detailed history of ALL notifications, making it searchable and accessible nearly everywhere you are in the system. Flicking the page up or down to see something similar to the way search works on iPhone OS grouping data from apps with their visible icon, but this would be for notifications you can order by app or by date or you can search.
  • Ability to search pages in Safari.
  • Folder os Smart Folder on Home Screen. Some potential Smart Folder categories are Recently Added apps, Apps used more than x-days ago, Games folder, etc.
  • I'd like the OS to send app usage data to iTunes so you can see which apps you haven't used or sued the most so you can clean out the "forgotten apps" that are still updated. This will same you and Apple from having to push as many updates.
post #152 of 218
mobileme sync to do / notes
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #153 of 218
Quote:

As I stated. The iPad is fast- faster than any phone I have browsed the internet with. A phone with the same processor and smaller screen would be even faster.
Don't comment on my non-interesting posts then.

The iPad has faster WiFi. If 802.11/n is available the iPad can use it-- current iPhones can't.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #154 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Not ready yet.

It will get released with the next iPhone in late June I would expect then be available to iPad users the same day as the phone comes out.

Will give developers a solid 3 months or so to work on it.

also when people choose a new phone in the next 3 months a

brand new iphone is waiting in the wings !!!!

the new touch rumours have got me going

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #155 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Let's see the Nexus One is the smartphone with the best performance on paper and the iPad trounces it. It sounds like you aren't going to accept any answer that shows the iPad looking good.

His comments don't sound objective. I read nothing about his feelings or some opinion he didn't form by actual usage. It's surely anecdotal, but all of these comparisons are. The difference is you the history of the tester along with other testers and you can get a pretty informed answer.

Netbooks have more performance on paper than the iPad. They have at least 1GB RAM and an Atom CPU over ARm with a faster clock rate, but the reality is they are slower for doing pretty much every comparable task before of the OS and app overhead. It's like taking the engine in a Bugatti Veyron and putting it in a dump truck then racing an Ariel Atom. The engine you started with may have been fast and powerful but you kludge it up with a bunch of weighty code it's going to perform the way you want it.

OMG, you reminded me, Iv'e seen something very similar...

Circa 1979. Woz bought an expensive Porsche (914, I think). A new model was coming out and he was far back on the waiting list. So he decided to upgrade the model he had, added Recaro seats (cost several thousand $, AIR). Each week, or so he would get his car back from the shop/mechanic with a new upgrade.

This went on for several months to where the upgrades cost Woz more than the new model...

One time said he'd just had it tuned and it was running like a dream! He came by and gave me a ride around the block (a few miles around Cupertino and Sunnyvale)...

During the whole trip, he could never get the speed above 8 kph (about 13 mph). The trip seemed quite long... comfortable seats, though!

I don't think I ever saw that car again

post #156 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Some good ideas. I would add
  1. Grouping/categorising app icons - eg: click on "News" icon to get to my multiple news apps. And/or allow me to put a coloured box around 4 app icons, so visually I see them as grouped.
  2. Sync via wifi/bluetooth
  3. Printing and access network files via wifi/bluetooth
  4. Generally more independence from a computer - create albums for music, crop photos & identify faces (sync these back to Mac). Allow an iPad setup to create the iTunes setup, rather than vice versa.
  5. Greater MobileMe integration
  6. Play video via component output for all apps on iPhone, not just iPod app. Output 720p via component on iPad
  7. Multiple users (even if it's just for MobileMe settings & mail)
  8. Record every location whenever location services are activated (useful to merge with iPhoto data to create locations on photos)
  9. When the phone is lost - allow tracking, and leaving a message to call - but simultaneously allow remote wiping the rest of the data

1) I made mention of folders and smart folders. The pages are just too tedious. This is especially true on the iPad. I've found myself using the search feature for the first time.
2) Not keen on WiFi sync, and BT sync is a definite no go. It's slow enough as it is with syncing. I'm really hoping for USB3.0 and the next iPhone to handle those faster USB data rates.
3) I haven't printed in so long so that would have likely never crossed my mind.
4) Making the iPod app work more like iTunes looks like something they don't want to do. It would be nice though.
5) Along with better MM integration I'd love for them to adopt a slick system like Dropbox. That works like a Mac app/service should work. Apple has a lot of catching up to do there.
6) If the iPad with an A4 can load and play 720p video hopefully the next iPhone will too, if it gets the A4.
7) This is one I definitely forgot and especially true for the iPad, which is more likely to be a "family" device.
8) That would be nice. I bet an app could do that, too. Just pop it on when you are at a place taking photos.
9)That would be great. Wiping personal data but not the OS so that you can leave the callback message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The iPad has faster WiFi. If 802.11/n is available the iPad can use it-- current iPhones can't.

Looking over the chip in the iPad 802.11n looks like a possibility this year.
post #157 of 218
Quote:

Interesting. Do you have any tests that demonstrate that?

Besides the link bkerkay supplied the rest are pretty much googlable. By nature of design Atom is faster than ARM, not just the clock speed, either. You can read about the chip design on Wikipedia. Where Atom fails is mainly in power consumption. ARM is very efficient so it's great for mobiles.

Then there are speed tests. You can go to YouTube and find videos of people using netbooks with pretty much any OS version to see startup times, app launches, page loadings, etc. The same for the iPad and phones.

While the HP Slate is the exception I think a trend for ARM-based tablets running a mobile OS like Android or Maemo designed for touchscreens will become more popular than running Atom with Windows 7.
post #158 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm... Maybe they will use something that is curiously absent from the iPad... CoverFlow.

Though, after using the iPad for less than a day, most user's multitasking requirements for [third-party] apps... would, likely, be satisfied by:

-- state saving
-- task switching
-- fast [previously-running] app reload
-- inter-app communication/invocation

From a UI standpoint:

1) Do something
2) Do something else (start or invoke another app)
3) easily switch back to 1)

So, Apple could introduce a structure for multitasking and provide APIs to assist implementation with a standard UI (with complexity hidden from the user).

Exposé/Spaces would be a nice addition to the OS.
post #159 of 218
Wait you have to pay for OS upgrades? I assumed they were free since that's always the way my iphone upgrades have worked. How much does it cost to upgrade the OS on the Iphone and Ipad?

So let me get this clear, when you buy the Ipad you get only ONE free OS upgrade? whether it's the OS 4 or the next one?
post #160 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Some good ideas. I would add
  1. Grouping/categorising app icons - eg: click on "News" icon to get to my multiple news apps. And/or allow me to put a coloured box around 4 app icons, so visually I see them as grouped.
  2. Sync via wifi/bluetooth
  3. Printing and access network files via wifi/bluetooth
  4. Generally more independence from a computer - create albums for music, crop photos & identify faces (sync these back to Mac). Allow an iPad setup to create the iTunes setup, rather than vice versa.
  5. Greater MobileMe integration
  6. Play video via component output for all apps on iPhone, not just iPod app. Output 720p via component on iPad
  7. Multiple users (even if it's just for MobileMe settings & mail)
  8. Record every location whenever location services are activated (useful to merge with iPhoto data to create locations on photos)
  9. When the phone is lost - allow tracking, and leaving a message to call - but simultaneously allow remote wiping the rest of the data

Then, since full multitasking would take a toll on speed of the device, the limited multitasking needs to handle a few things.... I'm trying to think HOW this could be done...:
  • Give an app 30 seconds to finish what it's doing, even after it LOOKS like it's been closed. eg: If I send an MMS now I can hit the home button while half way through, and the MMS will be sent in the background - that should work for IMs, moves in chess, etc
  • Multitasking via application "stubs", such that the tiny stubs can run in background (either continuously, or wake up periodically, or woken up by push notifications) and send notifications like push to the user. They can then open the main app if requested.
  • An Apple backgrounder app which, when connected via wifi, automatically downloads data as requested by registered apps - eg: The iPad/Touch could automatically update "The Times" app's cache of news, my Pocket Weather app could update it's forecasts, my movies app could update movie times - then when I go to use the app and am away from wifi it'll still have latest movies/news/weather/etc.
  • Let push notifications tell the backgrounder app to download some data immediately for an app that will be opened shortly.

Excellent points, and a good reply by Soli.

Can't really add anything to that, other than a simple security measure to ensure that remote wipe actually works: I had my iphone stolen recently and remote wipe did not work by virtue of the thief removing the sim card: when sim card is remove prompt for a 4 digit code the owner sets (as an optional security feature) and failing that code an X no of times wipes the phone. Will work like a charm.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8