or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8

Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8 - Page 2

post #41 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

So, I assume that having put up with incredibly dull discussions about why iPhone is crap because it doesn't have multi-tasking, we'll now no doubt have incredibly dull discussions about why they implemented it incorrectly. Or it hurts the battery life. Or it still fails to get you a girlfriend whilst you bang on about multi-tasking!

I agree with this, but there is a secret out there that nobody talks about.

1. There is currently no REAL multi-tasking smart phones (ask someone who has an android to load two good apps and you will probably see the memory crash.

2. There is currently no REAL flash on smart phones. (ask someone with android to go to hulu and they will tell you it does not yet work.
post #42 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Let's see how much they change the iPhone interface, if at all. I don't need multitasking for my daily tasks, but I am curious how they implement it.

Mmmm... Maybe they will use something that is curiously absent from the iPad... CoverFlow.

Though, after using the iPad for less than a day, most user's multitasking requirements for [third-party] apps... would, likely, be satisfied by:

-- state saving
-- task switching
-- fast [previously-running] app reload
-- inter-app communication/invocation

From a UI standpoint:

1) Do something
2) Do something else (start or invoke another app)
3) easily switch back to 1)

So, Apple could introduce a structure for multitasking and provide APIs to assist implementation with a standard UI (with complexity hidden from the user).

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #43 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Multitasking and 5M camera please!

Please explain how to do a 5MP camera upgrade via software. Didn't something inside scream not to hit the "Submit Reply" key before thinking this out?
post #44 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebot View Post

I'd like to see a new home screen option that lists all your installed apps in a flickable list. The list should be sortable
  • alphabetically,
  • by category or
  • by most-commonly-used.

Great idea! That would be really handy... A multi-tasking solution is vital... It would be nice to have something like the idea above, or some way to customize the desktop intead of just a mess of your apps (a good idea that came out of Android phones) ....Personally, using my phone for work, I've never been comfortable with Jailbreaking...After 3 years, I'd love a few more bells and whistles...Just being able to have a background image (like the iPad has)....A smarter, more customizable lockscreen... Ahhh...I could spend all day dreaming up a wish list!!

I hope Apple takes a bold step forwards with this update...iPhone 3 was all the practical, needed updates like cut/copy/paste, search, mms...here's hoping iPhone 4 includes some cool/fun stuff too...
post #45 of 218
1) Assuming the site below is correct there are 160K active App Store apps in the US.

http://148apps.biz/app-store-metrics/ 2) I don't think Apple will add full-preemptice multitasking like WebOS and Android offer. I think it will be a multitasking API that devs can utilize and then users can enable.

3) A notification system that bests WebOS' notification system is what I'm hoping for.

4) I have to wonder what will happen with the iPad OS. I'm hoping they do an official branching off and call it iPad OS as it significantly different than the iPhone and Touch builds. I also hope that the iPad and other devices all get the update on the same day this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Don't know why they didn't release it on same date as iPad???

Besides what others stated and a bit off topic, I'm glad Apple is staggering their releases. The iPhone 3G + iPhone OS v2.0 + MobileMe release all at the same time was a problem. I think they may have learned their lesson there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Wasn't expecting it so quickly but that's awesome can't waitttt

This is behind the typical time, which was mid-March the two previous years. Plus, many thought it would come in January, earlier than before, because Android was moving so rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So are the rumors saying the UI will be new looking, or will the changes just effect things going on "behind the scenes"?

I hope they give it a new look. I suspect that if they use a lot of blacks in the v4.0 UI, like the Zune, that we can then expect an OLED display on the next iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I hope OS 4 will have a new version of the YouTube app that will allow downloading of YT videos to iPhone/iPad.

Is something YouTube typically lets you do? If not, why would you expect Apple partnering with Google to allow this?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #46 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I agree with this, but there is a secret out there that nobody talks about.

1. There is currently no REAL multi-tasking smart phones (ask someone who has an android to load two good apps and you will probably see the memory crash.

2. There is currently no REAL flash on smart phones. (ask someone with android to go to hulu and they will tell you it does not yet work.

Ever hear of Nokia or Sony Ericsson? You are wrong on one and two. Please do some research before posting again.
post #47 of 218
Anyone think they show off new MacBook Pros at this event or make mention of them?
post #48 of 218
Is it possible that Iphone OS 4.0 are available to the future iphone only?!
post #49 of 218
Looking forward to seeing their ideas. People think they will announce iPad international launch dates/pricing at the same time?
post #50 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwlee View Post

Apple supports free upgrades for the first two years so you should be fine unless you own the original iPhone...
post #51 of 218
Whats also really exciting is that this means that WWDC 2010 will probably be devoted to showing of the next version of MAC OS X. Love my iPhone and want an iPad but I have 5 Macs that are itching for some new features....
post #52 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Please explain how to do a 5MP camera upgrade via software. Didn't something inside scream not to hit the "Submit Reply" key before thinking this out?

Calm down. What iPhone OS will be used with? Oh,... an iPhone.
post #53 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

As a developer I am excited yet as a consumer I am pissed because I just bought an iPad Saturday and now will have to pay (if I read the Appleinsider Article correctly) to upgrade it to 4.0 (well obviously not the beta's since I am an AD).

Edit: take that back "For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models."

So they knew 4.0 would be that close to releasing the iPad, maybe that's why I'm having a few issues with mine, such as the Wifi dropping

One word... quitcherbitchin.
post #54 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

This event is only for the software, so if there is to be a 5M camera in the next iPhone, it won't be announced.

What is a "5M" camera? Do you mean a 5MP camera?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #55 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Apple supports free upgrades for the first two years so you should be fine unless you own the original iPhone...

But I wonder if 3gs' hardware can support a major upgrade in OS or not... also the battery life...

Anyway, apart from multi-task, I hope weather and perhaps breaking news information can be shown on the UI, just like other smartphones...
post #56 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by skives View Post

Anyone think they show off new MacBook Pros at this event or make mention of them?

Based on history, I'd doubt it. The two previous events were stats, SDK and iPhone OS and demos all relating to the iPhone for about an hour and a half.

Quote:

That is something to discuss. Are they going to push the original iPhone out or make a rich update for its 4th year of use? If they push the original iPhone would they push out the 3G since it uses the same basic HW and eliminating these would mean being able to focus on ARMv7 with 256MB+ RAM instead of ARMv6 with 128MB RAM?
post #57 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post

So, this is a preview release with official launch in Summer, as usual.

Apple usually doesn't schedule this sort of thing so close to another major event, like the iPad launch, so they really must have been planning for the end of March, giving about two weeks between events.

I find it odd (and even a little concerning) that they scheduled / announced this with so little advanced notice. Seems they usually announce things like this weeks in advance.
post #58 of 218
Quote:

Simple. The software is not done yet. They are announcing iPhone 4.0, but it won't be released until Summer 2010. The article is not well written.
post #59 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Holy shit! That's in 3 days!!

I love it, let it be good with new iPad features too!

The announcement is in 3 days. The release is Summer 2010.
post #60 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinge View Post

That sounds like a reasonable timeframe for a phone but has Apple ever stated that anywhere? The original iPhone has now had updates for 3 years.
post #61 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Assuming the site below is correct there are 160K active App Store apps in the US.
http://148apps.biz/app-store-metrics/

Seems like the number of apps has slowed considerably recently. For a while, the amount was doubling geometically. Perhaps Apple's purge of the thousands of crap apps has reset things a bit.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #62 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I find it odd (and even a little concerning) that they scheduled / announced this with so little advanced notice. Seems they usually announce things like this weeks in advance.

Not weeks, but usually on a Thursday with the event for the following Tuesday. It's still the sam amount of business days.

I quite like Apple doing this in house. No need to go to CES or rent a hall. Just invite some press and then post a video. Hell, scratch the press and just a video of it; the press will pick up on it regardless.

I'm a bit surprised this wasn't a rumour. They seem to be getting better with their secrecy, which isn't as much fun as the leaks.
post #63 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is something to discuss. Are they going to push the original iPhone out or make a rich update for its 4th year of use? If they push the original iPhone would they push out the 3G since it uses the same basic HW and eliminating these would mean being able to focus on ARMv7 with 256MB+ RAM instead of ARMv6 with 128MB RAM?

I doubt they "push out" the older phones just yet. There may be features, such as multitasking, that are only available on newer models, but there will probably also be API changes that the older models could support. Dropping support for the older models might mean cutting those users off from newer apps that make use of the APIs. Then again, they probably won't go on supporting the original iPhone in OS updates forever.
post #64 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Awwww.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #65 of 218
I wonder if OS 4.0 will enable the camera in all the iPads? The one iFixIt _thought_ was the proximity sensor?
post #66 of 218
Quote:

The article does mention the possibility of a new iPhone being released in the summer, concurrently with iPhone 4.0. So his request covers both items mentioned in the article.
post #67 of 218
iPhone OS 3.2 for the iPhone? Anyone?
post #68 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Huh? This is advanced notice. How do you give advanced notice of advanced notice?
post #69 of 218
Quote:

They can dominate press coverage this way. Betting this puts a lull on droid sales.
post #70 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The Troll's Way of Thinking: "If they don't give us the update that day i'm going to complain that Apple is screwing us again by holding out on us. If they give use the update that day I'm going to complain that Apple screwed us again by giving us a buggy update."

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I doubt they "push out" the older phones just yet. There may be features, such as multitasking, that are only available on newer models, but there will probably also be API changes that the older models could support. Dropping support for the older models might mean cutting those users off from newer apps that make use of the APIs. Then again, they probably won't go on supporting the original iPhone in OS updates forever.

That's the rub, when do you stop supporting it and do you also include the 3G which has he same HW? It's a logistical issue requiring data we can't get; we can only speculate on what Apple thinks is best for them.

They certainly aren't threatened by vendors using Android giving excessive rich updates and if they see that only a small percentage still use the original iPhone then they may see a need for it.

I'm sure multitasking can't come to the first two iPhones. The 128MB RAM is barely enough to run the native backgroundable apps.
post #71 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

As a developer I am excited yet as a consumer I am pissed because I just bought an iPad Saturday and now will have to pay (if I read the Appleinsider Article correctly) to upgrade it to 4.0 (well obviously not the beta's since I am an AD).

Edit: take that back "For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models."

So they knew 4.0 would be that close to releasing the iPad, maybe that's why I'm having a few issues with mine, such as the Wifi dropping

A lot of times devices ship with a slightly newer chipset for certain hardware than what was used in testing. It is very common for there to be firmware or software updates to address such issues. It's the price you pay for early adoption & it's no different anywhere you go. Even with a brand as trusted & well backed as Cisco has issues like this, Rev 1 products are just simply unknown until they make it to mass market. Issues are usually resolved very quickly, have some patience.
post #72 of 218
I don't understand what you people are missing, people are upset that they didn't release the iPad with 4.0, I don't suppose you understand that it isn't actually ready yet and this is just a sneak peek to show 'the future'?
post #73 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

I don't understand what you people are missing, people are upset that they didn't release the iPad with 4.0, I don't suppose you understand that it isn't actually ready yet and this is just a sneak peek to show 'the future'?

And there is a free update to v4.0 for the iPad.
post #74 of 218
I think it's safe to say the time for a UI refresh is now...but I wouldn't count on it. they just released the iPad with the same OS with almost nothing changed...same old tired 2007 look and feel.
post #75 of 218
Quote:

But I wonder if 3gs' hardware can support a major upgrade in OS or not... also the battery life...

Anyway, apart from multi-task, I hope weather and perhaps breaking news information can be shown on the UI, just like other smartphones...

I wouldn't worry about it... When they released OS 3 they provided support for Augmented Reality... Only the 3GS has a compass though...if you had a 3G or orignal, you still got the same upgrade....AR just didn't run on your phone...

I got my 3GS in Aug of 2009...before that I had The original iPhone.... I upgraded that to 2.0 and 3.0 with no problems....Apple does a great job with supporting old products....Again though, if people are still using the orignal iPhone, Apple is NOT claiming to support that in OS 4...
post #76 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple sent out invitations on Monday for the event, scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific, offering a "sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone software,".

LOL. Cracking up at all the posters that think the software is going to be released on April 8th.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #77 of 218
No, 3.2 is iPad only.
post #78 of 218
On the scheduling of this release: Imagine that they instead announced all the great new features in OS 4 in March like they have in the past, and then released the iPad on the old OS a few weeks later. So much of the focus would have been on what the next OS is going to look like on the iPad: "It won't do x, y, & z until this summer."

Even if it's only a few days after the iPad launch, it still allows the iPad launch and lead-in to the launch unmarred by a focus on what it can't do until the next OS release.
post #79 of 218
Quote:

Ever hear of Nokia or Sony Ericsson? You are wrong on one and two. Please do some research before posting again.

Ask someone who has these devices to demo it to you. I'm talking real world here.
post #80 of 218
Actually I like the iphone 3GS as is... given its present form factor.

But -
Limited multi-task or 'widget's would be nice.
Universal print and storage options. But thats probably an anathema to Steve-o.
Flash... yes but only with option to run or not to run it (I don't know why its such a big deal myself, but now that certain big sites are changing over... Steve-o probably figures he won).

Sync Iphone to Ipad.

Probably a lot of 'little' things to match what other phones have been doing for years.

But actually, there are a lot more hardware things I would like to see improved. But thats for another day.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8