or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon

post #1 of 167
Thread Starter 
A new report claims that Apple could release updates to its MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air notebook computers in April, with alleged Intel processor supply issues said to be resolved.

Taiwanese newspaper Apple Daily reported on Monday that Apple plans to release updated MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs this month. The report alleged that the computers have taken longer than expected to hit the market because of shortages of Intel's newest chips.

The roughly translated report claims that the new MacBook Pro systems will sport 640GB hard drives, or have an option of 248GB solid state drives. It also states that the computers will offer 8 hours of battery life.

Last month it was revealed that Intel was struggling to meet demand for its new family of Core mobile processors. The CPUs have been widely expected to turn up in the next round of updates to Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro lines. The report claimed that Intel's Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 processors are all facing tight supplies due to a large order from manufacturer Acer.

AppleInsider has also shared alternative factors that are possibly contributing to the lengthy wait for MacBook upgrades, with dual graphics improvements expected to turn up in new MacBook Pros sometime this year. Sources have said the Mac maker has tested several next-generation notebooks that can switch between their integrated and discrete graphics processors automatically.

For months there have been rumors of new MacBook Pros based on Intel's new Core i7 and Core i5 mobile processors. The 32-nanometer chips offer improved speed, better graphics capabilities and lower power consumption than their Core 2 Duo predecessors.
post #2 of 167
Great news. Maybe I can get my MBP before my exams!
post #3 of 167
Just bought a new one. Man, I should have waited.

Late now, to return. Damn!
post #4 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Just bought a new one. Man, I should have waited.

Late now, to return. Damn!


There is always eBay, just mention when you bought it and you heard about the new ones so you decided to switch. Nothing wrong with the machine, just wrong timing. Of course is the issue of transferring the warranty/AppleCare, get that resolved and I'm sure it will go fast.

What I do hope Apple will do is address the high reflection, perhaps not with a dull looking matte screen, but a form of glass that has anti-reflective properties integrated in the surface of the glass itself.

The trademark name is "museum glass" and it's used in fine art where reflections obstruct the view and colors of the actual art. Art galleries carry it.

Once you've seen the difference between museum glass and ordinary glass, you'll be amazed in it's clarity of objects behind it.
post #5 of 167
If this is indeed the only reason they are late it is a bit sad. But then again no one else is shipping volume either. Apple will need volume to keep up with demand so waiting till this month makes sense.

It is sad in the sense that I was hoping for a major leap forward instead of another me too Arrandale release.

Dave
post #6 of 167
Bring it!

Soon, please?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #7 of 167
Please be soon I could really use a new mpb and I won't buy a computer that's been on the market almost a full year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #8 of 167
I hope it's more than a Intel issue. They likely would have been able to inform Apple of what production delays would look like and hopefully Apple is prepping for a major overhaul of the MBP line.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

What I do hope Apple will do is address the high reflection, perhaps not with a dull looking matte screen, but a form of glass that has anti-reflective properties integrated in the surface of the glass itself.

The trademark name is "museum glass" and it's used in fine art where reflections obstruct the view and colors of the actual art. Art galleries carry it.

Once you've seen the difference between museum glass and ordinary glass, you'll be amazed in it's clarity of objects behind it.

You just tipped your hand. Your previous alias was MacTripper. Again, what the pros -AND- cons of Museum Glass? Why aren't other PC vendors using it? If they are, which ones?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 167
iPad Wi-fi launch, iPhone OS 4.0, iPad 3G launch, MacBook refresh, next-gen iPhone...Apple is on a roll.
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
post #10 of 167
You have a 1 in 52 chance of getting the week right.
post #11 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

iPad Wi-fi launch, iPhone OS 4.0, iPad 3G launch, MacBook refresh, next-gen iPhone...Apple is on a roll.

By the year 2020 Apple will have a Special Event and product release every day of the week.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 167
I know someone who is a head buyer for laptops at Best Buy. They entire line is being refreshed this month with new processors.
post #13 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For months there have been rumors of new MacBook Pros based on Intel's new Core i7 and Core i5 mobile processors. The 32-nanometer chips offer improved speed, better graphics capabilities and lower power consumption than their Core 2 Duo predecessors.

Given that the Core2Duo doesn't include any graphics capabilities it's not hard for the Core ix ones to be an improvement

Seriously, Intel's integrated graphics are worse than those currently in use in the MacBook line so without discrete graphics across the board, Apple risks releasing new machines with weaker graphics than those they replace. That might be further reason for delays as Apple has been waiting to see just how bad the Intel graphics are in real world tests on Windows and Linux and negotiating with discrete graphics makers for a good deal.

I know several "ordinary" people, non-followers of Apple rumours, who are waiting for new MacBook Pros before they buy. When the general public realizes an update is overdue sales must be taking a pretty significant hit.
post #14 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I know several "ordinary" people, non-followers of Apple rumours, who are waiting for new MacBook Pros before they buy. When the general public realizes an update is overdue sales must be taking a pretty significant hit.

Yeah, when my customers look at a $600 HP or $650 Asus with a Core i3, 500GB HDD, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM, it's a hard sell to convince them to get the $999 MacBook with a generation older processor, half the RAM, and half the storage space. But then again, a lot of them are coming in replacing a computer that has gotten infected with too many viruses, so there's that.
post #15 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You just tipped your hand. Your previous alias was MacTripper. Again, what the pros -AND- cons of Museum Glass? Why aren't other PC vendors using it? If they are, which ones?

PC makers are cheap. They will never use anything but the lowest cost material.

The display makers are just as cheap and will sell the worst quality they can get away with. Only when a big player like Apple demands IPS LCDs do you see anything but TN or the lowest cost vertical alignment screens on the market. The high quality display business is a tiny niche with exorbitant prices.

I cannot see any display maker ever including a special anti-reflective glass without someone like Apple pressing for it and even then it'll come at a hefty price premium.

Apple customers are prepared to pay more to get a better product so cost cannot be the only reason why Apple doesn't use Museum Glass or a competitive solution. My guess is that anti-reflective glass contains some of the harmful chemicals that Apple has fought to eliminate from their machines.
post #16 of 167
Mac mini too?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #17 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dien0011 View Post

I know someone who is a head buyer for laptops at Best Buy. They entire line is being refreshed this month with new processors.

So... Exactly how much does a head cost, and where do they buy them from?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #18 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

PC makers are cheap. They will never use anything but the lowest cost material.
[...]

Most of their products are cheap, but they do sell premium, prosumer, and professional products, too and always looking for a marketing scheme to put one over on Apple, like using carbon fiber even though the ones I've used were either a weak type and/or too thin to offer the same rigidity as an aluminium case.

If price in an issue, that would be a con but I've seen nothing comparing relative costs between glass.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 167
Matte screen please.
post #20 of 167
I hope this rumor is true. I could use a 640Gb hard disk in the laptop. It would be nice if they make 4Gb RAM standard on the Macbook Pros too. These could have been delayed by 10.6.3 release too.
post #21 of 167
solipsism, you can always come back to AI as Agent Kujan

Back to topic please... thank you
post #22 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

There is always eBay, just mention when you bought it and you heard about the new ones so you decided to switch. Nothing wrong with the machine, just wrong timing. Of course is the issue of transferring the warranty/AppleCare, get that resolved and I'm sure it will go fast.

What I do hope Apple will do is address the high reflection, perhaps not with a dull looking matte screen, but a form of glass that has anti-reflective properties integrated in the surface of the glass itself.

The trademark name is "museum glass" and it's used in fine art where reflections obstruct the view and colors of the actual art. Art galleries carry it.

Once you've seen the difference between museum glass and ordinary glass, you'll be amazed in it's clarity of objects behind it.

Sounds great, except it would do away with a visual distinction between glossy and matte screens, i.e. the glass going almost to the edge vs. the wide aluminum frame..., right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

PC makers are cheap. They will never use anything but the lowest cost material.

The display makers are just as cheap and will sell the worst quality they can get away with. Only when a big player like Apple demands IPS LCDs do you see anything but TN or the lowest cost vertical alignment screens on the market. The high quality display business is a tiny niche with exorbitant prices.

I cannot see any display maker ever including a special anti-reflective glass without someone like Apple pressing for it and even then it'll come at a hefty price premium.

Apple customers are prepared to pay more to get a better product so cost cannot be the only reason why Apple doesn't use Museum Glass or a competitive solution. My guess is that anti-reflective glass contains some of the harmful chemicals that Apple has fought to eliminate from their machines.

I guess we'll know soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Most of their products are cheap, but they do sell premium, prosumer, and professional products, too and always looking for a marketing scheme to put one over on Apple, like using carbon fiber even though the ones I've used were either a weak type and/or too thin to offer the same rigidity as an aluminium case.

If price in an issue, that would be a con but I've seen nothing comparing relative costs between glass.

$50-75-100 extra premium for matte screen -- I think people would pay it, but of course I'd prefer $50, or better yet, zero!

That 640GB better be 7200 RPM!!! If 500GB SSD HD comes down to $500, I'd buy in a flash, pun intended... I also wonder if USB 3 will be part of that, and if yes, I hope it doesn't mean instead of FW800

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply
post #23 of 167
i3, i5 and i7 processors was out and Apple is still using core duo's, don't you think Apple is too late. 24 inch displays are around $400 AUD mark but Apple display which is an old technology is $1,250 on the AU Apple Store.
post #24 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Pure balderdash. There are plenty of high end windows machines that use premium materials.

If you disagree, let me know, and I'll supply some links.

Even if a windows pc chassis were made from pure platinum, I wouldn't buy it. Using Windows makes my eyeballs bleed. OS/X rocks....
post #25 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Mac mini too?

Mac mini with a better home entertainment software like Plex, built in TV tuner etc.
post #26 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

Even if a windows pc chassis were made from pure platinum, I wouldn't buy it. Using Windows makes my eyeballs bleed. OS/X rocks....


I have all the software I need in my Windows 7. Most of it doesn't work in OSX. And I also love to play the latest games, too...

I do have a MacBook, and iPhone 3GS and iPad Touch, but I'm keeping my feet on the ground here. OSX has its uses.

post #27 of 167
how does this fit in to their usual refresh timetable for macbooks?
post #28 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

$50-75-100 extra premium for matte screen -- I think people would pay it, but of course I'd prefer $50, or better yet, zero!

That 640GB better be 7200 RPM!!! If 500GB SSD HD comes down to $500, I'd buy in a flash, pun intended... I also wonder if USB 3 will be part of that, and if yes, I hope it doesn't mean instead of FW800

You can get the matte display on the 15" and 17" MBPs.

I think those 7200RPM drives are well worn enough to warrant the inclusion. I hope the revamp their SSD line to include a couple different options as they each have different characteristics. I hope Intel is one of them. This also means I expect them to have resolved the wonky SATA controller issue and upgraded it to 6Gbps to truly accommodate the SSD potential.

I don't think USB3.0 would remove FW800 since it's backwards compatible to previous USB.

I'd also like the audio (and USB data) turned on in DisplayPort, the optical drive gone, a GPS chip added to all Macs (with OS ties, APIs and FindMyMac for MM), and an option for 3G. (Note: these are wants, not necessarily what I expect will arrive).
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #29 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope it's more than a Intel issue. They likely would have been able to inform Apple of what production delays would look like and hopefully Apple is prepping for a major overhaul of the MBP line.




You just tipped your hand. Your previous alias was MacTripper. Again, what the pros -AND- cons of Museum Glass? Why aren't other PC vendors using it? If they are, which ones?

Even if this is so and he is who you state he is, how does that degrade the observation?

I fail to see the connection.

If there is a solution and Apple has yet to think of it, how is attacking him in a matter of fact vein going to address the fact Apple has not been as attentive as they should.

It is a case of the emperor's new clothes.

Apple is a cadre of engineers, graphic and industrial designers, and business people.

Sometimes it takes someone you would consider less qualified to state the obvious.

Zealotry is not a flattering way to be regarded.....
post #30 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Sounds great, except it would do away with a visual distinction between glossy and matte screens, i.e. the glass going almost to the edge vs. the wide aluminum frame..., right?

Yes there wouldn't need the need for the mismatched frame bezel.

It's because the huge outcry for losing the anti-reflectiveness is why Apple made the mismatched bezel in the first place, it's all they could do mid-product cycle.

Hopefully this next issue there will be a more permanent solution to the reflection problem and still have the clearer image the glass provides.

Kind of dumb paying premium prices for a laptop that one can barely use in airplane, or outside or in brightly lit locations. It's not like we are touching it or anything.

guess I should post this link for the online petition

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/
post #31 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I hope this rumor is true. I could use a 640Gb hard disk in the laptop. It would be nice if they make 4Gb RAM standard on the Macbook Pros too. These could have been delayed by 10.6.3 release too.

2.5" drives have now moved to terabyte capacity. Western Digital makes one in that capacity that will fit in my PS3.

I find the speculation the drives are going to 640 GB an insult.

I guess this means I will have to purchase my next mac WITHOUT the apple care plan...
post #32 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by biyibot View Post

Mac mini with a better home entertainment software like Plex, built in TV tuner etc.

Mac Mini with an HDMI port. I can do the rest.
post #33 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can get the matte display on the 15" and 17" MBPs.

I think those 7200RPM drives are well worn enough to warrant the inclusion. I hope the revamp their SSD line to include a couple different options as they each have different characteristics. I hope Intel is one of them. This also means I expect them to have resolved the wonky SATA controller issue and upgraded it to 6Gbps to truly accommodate the SSD potential.

I don't think USB3.0 would remove FW800 since it's backwards compatible to previous USB.

I'd also like the audio (and USB data) turned on in DisplayPort, the optical drive gone, a GPS chip added to all Macs (with OS ties, APIs and FindMyMac for MM), and an option for 3G. (Note: these are wants, not necessarily what I expect will arrive).

I would like the GPS chip only if I have the option to TRULY turn it off.
There is already a pre-bios maintenance chip in the intel architecture of all intel based machines. That is big brother enough for me.

I agree with the display port. As it stands it's still just DVi to me until they enable the additional features.

I've mentioned the HDD issue. It bothers me that larger capacity drives are available in the format, and they are not utilizing it. Some people use their laptop as their ONLY machine. I am not one of them, but for those that do, additional storage is a must. And no one wants to HAVE to carry an external drive with them if they can avoid it.
post #34 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

2.5" drives have now moved to terabyte capacity. Western Digital makes one in that capacity that will fit in my PS3.

I find the speculation the drives are gong to 640 GB an insult.

I guess this means I will have to purchase my next mac WITHOUT the apple care plan...


Apple won't put the drive in the machine that you want neither, only what they sell.

Found this out the hard way.
post #35 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Apple won't put the drive in the machine that you want neither, only what they sell.

Found this out the hard way.

Figures. I think I can get one installed at a certified repair place without violating the apple care though. I will have to look into this.

If not, no apple care plan and installing my own drive is the only solution.
post #36 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Even if this is so and he is who you state he is, how does that degrade the observation?

I fail to see the connection.

Because you failed to comprehend what was written. I never stated that his position to use Museum Glass was incorrect I just asked him to give some evidence that it would be a good fit for Apple and reasoning as to why it might not be used right now. I've asked this since he first mentioned it and yet I've gotten no answer except basically, that its most awesomeness thing ever and Apple is a poopiehead for not using it. You'd think with such a strong, longtime endorsement that there would be some reasoning for using it other than "no glare" with is simply a single single, shortsighted advantage that has failed to look at potential disadvantages.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I would like the GPS chip only if I have the option to TRULY turn it off.
There is already a pre-bios maintenance chip in the intel architecture of all intel based machines. That is big brother enough for me.

I'd like to see the GPS as a optional recessed card.

This way everyone doesn't have to pay for something they won't need.

And please dear lord jobs, make the hard drives easily removable! Put a sticker or glue or paint the screws, anything to enforce the warranty.

Make it fast so a Apple Store employee can verify it hasn't been tampered with removable in mere seconds, before a laptop goes off for service.

I want to be able to walk out of a Apple Store with my data with me, not in unknown hands.
post #38 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Figures. I think I can get one installed at a certified repair place without violating the apple care though. I will have to look into this.

If not, no apple care plan and installing my own drive is the only solution.


Yea, I tried that too, no go.

Wound up waiting for AppleCare to expire and replacing it myself.
post #39 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I've mentioned the HDD issue. It bothers me that larger capacity drives are available in the format, and they are not utilizing it.

640GB is the LARGEST capacity drive for a 9.5mm HDD, the typical in modern notebooks. The 1TB 2.5" HDD I see on the market is 12.5mm. Why you'd expect Apple to reverse their entire platform just to go to a 12.5mm HDD?

edit: That is the WD drive. Toshiba has announced a 1TB 2.5" HDD at 9.5mm that went on sale in Japan on March 25th and slated to go worldwide soon after, but I can't find anyone carrying them.

Quote:
I guess this means I will have to purchase my next mac WITHOUT the apple care plan...

Installing your own HDD does not void the Apple warranty.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Yea, I tried that too, no go.

Wound up waiting for AppleCare to expire and replacing it myself.

Well....that destroys the possibility of placing a 2 terabyte drive in my iMac before giving it to my mother.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon