or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon

Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon - Page 4

post #121 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Apple has to refresh. I consider myself to be an apple fan but some of my extreme apple friends are talking about dumping the mbp getting an ipad for the road and a stronger iMac for home. Although I NEED the express slot for high end quip fx that take a load off the CPU. Can't get that on the iMac. Probably the reason there is noncamera for chatting and other similar things.

Apple is indeed on a role. About to change computing if you ask me. Will be interesting to see the google laptops if it ever happens.

A refresh is coming, there's no doubt about that, the question is when and what. As regards the former, the article suggests it's imminent, and knowing Apple's carefully planned refresh cycles, I think we can be certain it will be before the iPhone refresh (in June?). As to the latter, here are two scenarios:

The optimist.

The long gap means that we will see more than just a speed bump or even just a new cpu, but a substantial re-design. It would be a good time for Apple to do this, as the ultra-mobile halo spreads,the number of potential switchers grows with it. Also, with continued increased sales, plus lucrative other product lines, Apple can afford to trim margins. This would not be done by significant price decreases, but by significant specification increases. If they ally their top-class design and top-class OS with top class specs there is room for substantial growth, even within a static notebook market. There would also be a strategic reason for such a move, namely cannibalisation. If the iPad is too close to the lower end MacBook it will eat into MacBook sales. If however, there is a substantial difference in capability, it would clearly differentiate between the two, meaning more people would buy both. I'm sure Apple want people to buy the iPad in addition to a notebook rather than instead of it, and this would help to achieve that objective.

The pessimist.

Apple has devoted so much of their design, engineering and management resources into the ultra-mobile and ancillary spheres that notebooks and desktops have been squeezed down the list of priorities. The notebook market as a whole is hardly growing, whereas the UM market is exploding. As the ratio between their earnings from those two markets cross, the older notebook (and desktop) lines will be allowed to gently deprecate as they chase the growth.

Me? I'm an optimist!
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #122 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

By the year 2020 Apple will have a Special Event and product release every day of the week.

don't forget to mention that the company will be majority owned by the Chinese by then
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
post #123 of 167
Quote:

640GB is the LARGEST capacity drive for a 9.5mm HDD, the typical in modern notebooks. The 1TB 2.5" HDD I see on the market is 12.5mm. Why you'd expect Apple to reverse their entire platform just to go to a 12.5mm HDD?

edit: That is the WD drive. Toshiba has announced a 1TB 2.5" HDD at 9.5mm that went on sale in Japan on March 25th and slated to go worldwide soon after, but I can't find anyone carrying them.

Installing your own HDD does not void the Apple warranty.

There are 750gb 9.5mm drives now. Just came out
post #124 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Btw, in terms of forum squabbles, let's just bury the hatchet for a while guys, some good will by all parties is required.

This is one of the very few apple related websites that have some level of discourse and community to them still, it's not the bunch of idiots that go to macrumors forums, lots of pc idiots as well as apple ones.

The moderating is also fair and lax and allows for self regulation of the forums instead of bans and policing. There's been some bad blood on both sides, and I think with good reason from both sides, still as a bystander I appreciate that very informative posts have been made notwithstanding the squabbles, and that's something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Amen to that. This place is a valuable resource, it does have a value, but it has been on rocky ground for a while now. Despite what you say in your last paragraph, the mods have acted recently, and have for now at least, excised some of the demons that were shaking this forum apart. Good for them. Now, it's time for all good men to come to the aid of the party!

Agreed. We all need to maintain some civility here. Personal attacks should be avoided at all times. At the same time people posting should stay on topic. Too many times these threads get side tracked into issues that have nothing to do with the topic. I'm relatively new here, but I've noticed some members who are relentless in pressing their issues and view points into the thread straying off topic. Then there are the constant complainers that b*tch about every thing without offering any alternative solutions. So many times I leave threads that droll on and on about the same subject that is not even on topic.

But if you're one that has to argue for the sake of arguing, may I suggest let's step outside at AI's otherside, AO that solipsism recommended to me a while ago @

http://forums.appleinsider.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Each person here has their point of view and we need to respect others for theirs. PEACE BE WITH YOU
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #125 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

There are 750gb 9.5mm drives now. Just came out

In my edit you quoted I found info for the 1Tb 9.5mm drives, but that was erroneous. The 9.5mm only applied to the 750GB model, which makes more sense.

I think they are too new for Apple to use for a refresh. I see they went on sale in Japan on the March 25th.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #126 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I was at the Apple store today, and the 15" MacBook Pro with glossy screen didn't look any "crisper" than the matte screen one to me. And I could see the entire matte screen at one time without having to move it around so the part I wanted to look at didn't have lights reflecting in it (the Apple Store has a lot of lights). But that's just me.

IDN, IMO glossy just seems better. I do some photography and there are differences between a glossy print and a matt print. For B&W landscapes I prefer glossy and for most portraits matt seems to work (though not always). It might be a subjective thing with me, but then it's my choice. Glare has not been any problem with my glossy screen and I did a lot of research on the subject--although I did ascertain that my preference is in the minority view point. What ever Apple decides, I hope that they will keep the glossy screen as an option.
post #127 of 167
Quote:

I think they are too new for Apple to use for a refresh. I see they went on sale in Japan on the March 25th.

Not only new but expensive. Apple tries to maintain a certain price point in their line. This can however be added as an option if the vendor can maintain the supply.
post #128 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Not only new but expensive. Apple tries to maintain a certain price point in their line. This can however be added as an option if the vendor can maintain the supply.

And before we get the trolls back complaining about Apple not using weak old tech Apple needs to address the SATA controller issue in their MBPs. The fact that you can have performance problems with a 3rd-party drive is pretty pathetic. I have no idea what they did but I won't be upgrading until I get confirmation (likely from AnandTech) that the issue has been satisfactorily resolved. And since we are talking about updates lets get 6Gbps SATA III in there, as well.
post #129 of 167
Quote:

....Museum Glass®...

As usual with you, your homework is done. I was reading this thread yesterday, and decided to check into it as well. The following isn't in response to you S, it is for anyone wondering about the cost and properties of this glass, so we can put it all behind us.

Museum Glass

There you are, you can buy some yourself guys and maybe see what all the fuss is about. They also have other Tru-Vue® glass available for purchase. It seems I'd rather have this one:

Reflection Control

There are more distributors listed on the manufacturer's page here:

http://www.tru-vue.com/find-a-distributor/

As solipsism stated, the glass is super thick for a display. For $90 you can buy a box of 4 16x20 sheets and see for yourself. Scratch it up, drop it, stare at it, whatever......
post #130 of 167
Until Apple resolves the glare problem with glossy screens, might I suggest the following

http://www.debspecs.com/SheaDog_GUNN...r_P3053C57.cfm

http://www.debspecs.com/images/Product_Images/CDROM.jpg

or
post #131 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So you can define your way out of it and "prove" that you've never "attacked" anyone? No, not necessary.

Interesting tact. A definition, pulled from either websters or any other verified source means exactly what it means.

How does that work again?
post #132 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

As usual with you, your homework is done. I was reading this thread yesterday, and decided to check into it as well. The following isn't in response to you S, it is for anyone wondering about the cost and properties of this glass, so we can put it all behind us.

Museum Glass

There you are, you can buy some yourself guys and maybe see what all the fuss is about. They also have other Tru-Vue® glass available for purchase. It seems I'd rather have this one:

Reflection Control

There are more distributors listed on the manufacturer's page here:

http://www.tru-vue.com/find-a-distributor/

As solipsism stated, the glass is super thick for a display. For $90 you can buy a box of 4 16x20 sheets and see for yourself. Scratch it up, drop it, stare at it, whatever......

Sorry, but I already verified all of this on page two of this thread. I initially provided the link.
post #133 of 167
Quote:

It's him. I know this because I used reason and deduction. The same way you know that when you talk on the phone that you are talking to a Terminator disguising its voice.

Give it up will you? You already stated your point in several other posts in this same thread. What else do you want to prove by repeating it a gazillion times?

And the others too.

CGC
post #134 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What I find funny is I am not around for a few days yet you still seem to find members all the time you can't get along with yet everyone else is always the problem. Maybe you should just turn that finger around.

Clearly you are the issue.

I've always found solip to respond respectfully and intelligently to respectful and intelligent comments.

This thread reads like a youTube comments section, and I'm sort of getting sick of this forum becoming a bunch of idiots being caustic without provocation and the repetitive process of he-said she-said, calls for ignoring trolls, and then the trolls counter-attacking by calling someone else a troll and then everyone is tattled on to the moderators.

Kind of makes it unfun to be around here.
post #135 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Quote:

Ask as many questions as you like.....as long as they are formed as QUESTIONS and NOT attacks.

Quote:

You know, all you've done since you showed up here as harleighquinn is attack people for one thing or another.

Quote:

I am going to ask this in all sincerity: Would you like me to post the definition of attack?

Quote:

So you can define your way out of it and "prove" that you've never "attacked" anyone? No, not necessary.

interesting tact. A definition, pulled from either websters or any other verified source means exactly what it means.

How does that work again?

SERIOUSLY, DROP IT ALREADY---OK There is no reason for bring up something that was so yesterday--peace be with you
post #136 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Give it up will you? You already stated your point in several other posts in this same thread. What else do you want to prove by repeating it a gazillion times?

And the others too.

CGC

THIS WAS SOOOOoooooo YESTERDAY--DROP IT ALREADY------I'M OUT OF HERE

BYE BYE
post #137 of 167
Quote:

Sorry, but I already verified all of this on page two of this thread. I initially provided the link.

I did see your link. The links I put up are for the less ambitious, as the find a dealer link isn't properly set up on Tru-Vue's site. Also, the links I put up are to a distributor in NJ, with prices. More of an addition to your post, not to detract from it.
post #138 of 167
I agree with the points of others. It is getting tiresome to read through back and forth exchange between two people. [Use the private chat?]

There should be a policy that you can post only so many per thread.

I tend to post long. There should be a policy too of the maximum characters you can post per response. This will force all of us to edit our post.

CGC
post #139 of 167
Quote:

I've never seen two people so thin skinned and so wrong in one thread on these forums simply not get it.

MacTripper never suggested an A/R coating for the glass Mac displays. He is only suggesting that Apple use one particular product by one particulate company. On top of that he suggests the product with the UV protection coating, but he won't say why it's necessary. He has never explained why he thinks this one company is important to Apple's future. I've already gone over the issues I addressed about Tru Vue and my questions are still left unanswered from the first page so there is no point in rehashing them.

I'm sorry these asshats derailed the thread so badly. I asked him all these same questions when he first mentioned it last year or 2(?) years ago so I should have known better than to think I would get an intelligent answer now.

You are hopeless solipsism, your like a scratch in a record that keeps playing the same question over and over again.

I've answered all your questions previously, but you keep asking the same questions and making the same assumptions.

1: I'm not connected to TruVue, there are other companies that provide anti-reflective glass, but to industry, so they don't have as much as public profile as TruVue does. I used their site as a example only.

2: I merely made a suggestion, I don't know enough about the technical aspects to judge either way if anti-reflective glass is suitable. I would like to hear Apple side of it just like anyone.

3: I've never suggested TruVu was a key to Apple's future, just they sell to the public and in art stores so that's how I know the product exists.

4: I don't know why Apple doesn't consider using anti-reflective glass in their products, they won't disclose that sort of information.

Your trolling.

Like I said before, if you don't like what someone says, you attack them ad nauseum until you get your way.

You are a bully.
post #140 of 167
Quote:

Even though I am an accountant now

Thanks. That's all I need to know.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #141 of 167
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn
You are hopeless solipsism, your like a scratch in a record that keeps playing the same question over and over again.
I've answered all your questions previously, but you keep asking the same questions and making the same assumptions.
Your trolling. Like I said before, if you don't like what someone says, you attack them ad nauseum until you get your way.
You are a bully.

Calling him a bully would give him too much credit. He is an internet coward because if you were face to face with him he would say 10% of what he says here. Hes the kid that got smacked around and got his milk money taken in school which is why he got his first Macbook and stayed in his room for the last 20 years posting online.

This really sucks--where are the moderators when you need them. Any chance for a return for some civility. I thought that I'd give this thread a cooling off and returned to find it hasn't changed.....Please Moderators have these members get back on topic and quit the personal attacks----GONE FROM THIS THREAD
post #142 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Until Apple resolves the glare problem with glossy screens, might I suggest the following

http://www.debspecs.com/SheaDog_GUNN...r_P3053C57.cfm

http://www.debspecs.com/images/Product_Images/CDROM.jpg

or

Stray light rays from reflective surfaces have to stopped at the surface before reflection occurs.
post #143 of 167
Quote:

Calling him a bully would give him too much credit. He is an internet coward because if you were face to face with him he would say 10% of what he says here. Hes the kid that got smacked around and got his milk money taken in school which is why he got his first Macbook and stayed in his room for the last 20 years posting online.

Ouch!, I assume solipsism must have attacked you previously to warrant such a personal attack now.
post #144 of 167
Quote:

I have done nothing ban worthy

No not really, but you have littered a perfectly good thread with thousands of words that have nothing to do with the subject.
post #145 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

No not really, but you have littered a perfectly good thread with thousands of words that have nothing to do with the subject.

You need to review the thread to get a understanding who really derailed it in the first place.
post #146 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

You need to review the thread to get a understanding who really derailed it in the first place.

I have read the entire thread. My statement stands.
post #147 of 167
Quote:

I would assume it is scratch proof, from personal experience.

Looking at the cleaning instructions for the AR Reflection-Free is seems rather fragile. I dunno why museum glass would normally be very scratch proof...it's not like artwork is meant to be handled a lot or comes into contact with keys very often...

So evidently your due dilligence in the matter is quite lacking...

Quote:
But to attack someone without performing your own due diligence puts one in the same caliber as the person they feel superior to by attacking them.

Hence....zealotry.

Not zealotry as much as fatigue. Same ol same ol BS repeated ad nauseam gets less and less polite response because it deserves little consideration.

No one has contended that museum glass does not exist. People are well aware of the link you provided and folks have contacted tru-vue to see about replacing the glass in the 27" iMac.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=104143

You seem to like tossing about the term zealot as it is inflammatory. Frankly, it's a transparent (heh) attempt of name calling to try to provoke a bannable offense.

So I'm starting to think the troll is you. There's no secret that this forum has been infested with previously banned members with new aliases and it's frankly tiresome.

Welcome to my killfile.
post #148 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

For God's sake! Stop the tolling!!!

High post count for someone that joined in April and keeps calling people trolls.

Either you are yet another reincarnation of a previously banned person (I'd guess Tekstud) or a new disruptive poster...awesome.
post #149 of 167
Quote:

Does not matter where it started its the continued childish replies that are frustrating and waste of time.

Now back to the subject at hand, I am waiting for new MacBook Pro, gives me an excuse to buy a new one and say it is for the wife. She already asked me when am I going to buy a new one, since I seem to update every 2-3 years

As for the glossy screen issues, I still do not understand the problem, since Apple provide an option for anti glare screen, okay it is not free but it is still an option.

Apple may not have all the ideas for resolving issues that's why there use consultants, customer feedback etc., but Apple do have very good structure in terms of ensuring that the overall customer satisfaction with their products. Not putting anyone's ideas or opinions down, but doubt very much what was discussed here with concern to other opinions for the macbook Pro display has not already been discussed in brainstorming session at Apple and in more constructive manner.
post #150 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Now back to the subject at hand, I am waiting for new MacBook Pro, gives me an excuse to buy a new one and say it is for the wife. She already asked me when am I going to buy a new one, since I seem to update every 2-3 years

You have a good wife as do I. Our dog died yesterday and last night she said "you need to get a new Mac" to take your mind off poor old departed Nigel.

Come on Apple, we are waiting!
post #151 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Taiwanese newspaper Apple Daily reported on Monday that Apple plans to release updated MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs this month. The report alleged that the computers have taken longer than expected to hit the market because of shortages of Intel's newest chips.

Does this paper have any track record regarding Apple product news?
post #152 of 167
Steve said to think big. How awesome would it be to see a DUAL CPU mbp from Apple?

post #153 of 167
Quote:

Ouch!, I assume solipsism must have attacked you previously to warrant such a personal attack now.

No kidding. We're only talking about computers for cryin out loud
post #154 of 167
This thread is a farce.

That is all.

(Yes, this post contributes to the farce.)
post #155 of 167
Well I've got a few predictions about the refreshed laptops:

1. They'll be thin.
2. They'll be thin.
3. Did I mention how thin they are? There'll be some other changes in there, but the main thing is they'll be really thin!
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #156 of 167
Wow, that's sooner than I expected. The refresh doesn't have to necessarily be April for me because I'm set to buy a new MacBook Pro in July.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #157 of 167
MY GOD on pages 4 and 5 AGE 5 A HOckey game broke out ..
bunch of 2 yr old fraking babies

>>>>>>

a new>>  MB  << line up seems way over due
there old offerings are so great who cares ....
these are powerful machines
and to upgrade them at lower prices is mind boggling 

go apple

rock on steve

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #158 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Exactly. That and it seems as though they have gone to great lengths to be extremely disruptive, but hang just shy of the limit of being banned. For me at least it tells me all I need to know about this poster.
post #159 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Please stay on-topic. I am NOT the topic of this thread.

Thank you.

How odd that the original post by vinea has completely disappeared from this thread?
post #160 of 167
Yesterday I could have cared less about the MBP refresh. Today, I am without my 13" Aluminum MB without FW. So, I am all about the MPB refresh. I am glad I have a iPad to try and bridge the gap. Here's to waiting on the refresh in April all though I find it weird they would refresh between iPad WiFi and iPad 3G or during iPad 3G.

Maybe they want April to be Apple Month since it starts with an "A."
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon