or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon - Page 3

post #81 of 167
Supporting the story, there's evidence out there of price action to clear the retail distribution channel. MicroCenter is offering $200 instant rebates on the regularly priced $999 white 13.3" MacBooks and $100 mail-in VISA card rebates on the $1199 13.3" MacBook Pros and $1199 21.5" iMacs. MicroCenter typically does this just before new models come out.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #82 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

That does not negate the reasoning it DOES in fact exist. Having begun as an artist before moving to accounting I am aware of museum glass. Even if i were not, a perfunctory google search reveals its existence:

http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Products/33/

As to why the manufacturers choose not to utilize it, that is a question one should ask Samsung or whomever else manufactures the Apple glossy screens.

Do not expect manufacturers to think the obvious, as you or I would, but also do not attack someone for stating it.

A perfect example would be the springboard one obtains by jail breaking an iPhone. It is of such utter common sense one wonders why it was not thought of by the apple engineers, but alas, the supposed hacking community has to show where the messiah is human.

I don't believe museum glass has caustic chemicals. If it did, all those paintings would deteriorate in short fashion.

I would assume it is scratch proof, from personal experience.

Thickness may be an apt reservation.

I don't believe it's weight would be an issue. Pictures do hang on walls, and these paintings usually weigh less than our new LCD televisions.

But to attack someone without performing your own due diligence puts one in the same caliber as the person they feel superior to by attacking them.

Hence....zealotry.

These are all very valid points - I am not going into the forum squabbles.

Museum glass is a tangible option it seems, and apple should better at least be exploring this or other similar ones because the glare issues with the laptops and the imacs are not imaginary. This is not not akin to a demand for flash on the idevices or blu ray drives say, but a very pertinent usability issue that has arisen with apple's stubbornness with the glass surfaces.

I can appreciate that this is their current design cue, but they can't pretend that glares are a non issue. I have seen work environments were lighting conditions cannot be so well controlled were imacs are virtually unusable. Like I said, even if it's not museum glass, they better be considering some solution to this, because the problem there and it won't go away by ignoring it.
post #83 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

PC makers are cheap. They will never use anything but the lowest cost material.

The display makers are just as cheap and will sell the worst quality they can get away with. Only when a big player like Apple demands IPS LCDs do you see anything but TN or the lowest cost vertical alignment screens on the market. The high quality display business is a tiny niche with exorbitant prices.

I cannot see any display maker ever including a special anti-reflective glass without someone like Apple pressing for it and even then it'll come at a hefty price premium.

Apple customers are prepared to pay more to get a better product so cost cannot be the only reason why Apple doesn't use Museum Glass or a competitive solution. My guess is that anti-reflective glass contains some of the harmful chemicals that Apple has fought to eliminate from their machines.

My thought on this has always been that the museum glass may simply not have the strength of the glass currently in use for displays. I mean there seems to be some reason that some display manufacterer is not doing this. It may be great in museums where climate is controlled and the glass is never subjected to any kind of stresses, but in the real world that a laptop has to endure it simply may not cut it.
post #84 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

These are all very valid points - I am not going into the forum squabbles.

Museum glass is a tangible option it seems, and apple should better at least be exploring this or other similar ones because the glare issues with the laptops and the imacs are not imaginary. This is not not akin to a demand for flash on the idevices or blu ray drives say, but a very pertinent usability issue that has arisen with apple's stubbornness with the glass surfaces.

I can appreciate that this is their current design cue, but they can't pretend that glares are a non issue. I have seen work environments were lighting conditions cannot be so well controlled were imacs are virtually unusable. Like I said, even if it's not museum glass, they better be considering some solution to this, because the problem there and it won't go away by ignoring it.

I know this to be true.

Coincidentally, in the industrial applications section they mention consumer electronics as a viable application....
post #85 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

My thought on this has always been that the museum glass may simply not have the strength of the glass currently in use for displays. I mean there seems to be some reason that some display manufacterer is not doing this. It may be great in museums where climate is controlled and the glass is never subjected to any kind of stresses, but in the real world that a laptop has to endure it simply may not cut it.

Even though I am an accountant now, one of my responsibilities for my current position is also to manage our mobile phone accounts.

In the last month there have been 3 iPhones dropped. I am in the process of waiting for kits from Amazon to repair the screens (digitizers).

One of the phones actually had the entire screen (digitizer) and capacitive touch screen LCD replaced and the previous owner actually cracked the replacement screen (digitizer) in an attempt to repair it with a kit from iFixit.

My point in all of this is the current glass used cannot be that strong....
post #86 of 167
What's the evidence that Museum Glass(R) is any better at eliminating reflections than Apple's current LCD glass with its optical coatings? After all, MG's manufacturer (Tru-Vue) qualifies its "lowest possible reflection" claims with the fact that it's accompanied by UV protection. Do LCDs need UV protection in the way museum pieces do? If not, then perhaps an even less-reflective coating can be (and is already being) used than what Museum Glass provides.
post #87 of 167
Whatever the case, I hope that they come out soon. I've already placed an order for a Vaio Z and it ships on 4/13, so if they come out before that I'll cancel my order. I just couldn't wait for Apple to get it together anymore. The fact that I was able to get EXACTLY what I wanted without the compromises I would have inevitably had to make with a Macbook Pro is just icing on the cake. And I have to say, having used Windows 7 for the past few days I don't miss OS X as much as I thought I would.
post #88 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

If you had been arround here long enough, you would have seen that this particular individual has posted this point repeatedly, but never discusses it. His knowledge of this special glass and his certainty that it should be used combined with his incessantly bringing it up makes expecting him to have more information a fair complaint.

Seeing as that NO manufacturers are using it, I assume there must be some drawbacks. Here are some possibilities off the top of my head:

1) prohibitively expensive
2) not durable / scratch prone
3) heavy
4) needs to be thick to work properly

Now, I don't know if any of these are true but it seems safe to assume if there were no problems, it would be in use already. And certainly, if I was going to champion this solution repeatedly, I would try to find answers to the logical questions that follow...

Nevertheless,

I've taken FineTunes and backtomac's advice and put these trolls on my ignore list.

I've had this conversation with MacTrpper/SpotOn before. The entire premise is evidence that he's never looked into it. I called the company and spoke to their marketing when he first mentioned this last year. I did research to obtain actual data. Data that he's ignored. For starters, he never mentions the company, just a single product they offer, and not even the right product at that, which can be deemed by 2 seconds on the website.

I could give him the benefit of the doubt that he's using "museum glass" as a generic term but he already makes note of it being trademarked, which rules that out. The better choice is not Museum Glass unless there is an argument to be made that notebook's display panel needs protection from UV light for a few years.I can't think of any. The better fit would be their Reflection Control or AR Reflection-Free products, which is Museum Glass sans UV coating. This also cuts down on cost.

But there are other issues, like the complete lack of CE devices using their technology. They say it's possible but if you can't check out who uses it then it's pointless. Yet another problem is the product offerings. The coatings on the glass are no problem but the only glass they have is 2.5mm thick. If you go for acrylic you can reduce that to 2.3mm (I forget this info but it's all on their webpage. The glass on the MBPs is 1.1mm thick. Can Apple deal with 2.5x the thickness of the glass for the panel? Is 2.5mm the thinnest they can make it? I don't know and MacTripper couldn't give me an answer but he's sure it's only solution for Apple.. and that UV protection is required.

Yet another concern foolishly overlooked as if it's not an issue is the production of this patented product. Does the process take place in the US? Can this company handle the load of 12M Apple PC products, this year, to be sold with their product? Would they agree to Apple's terms for secrecy and the heavy discounts on pricing while applying even more QC than usual and eating additional costs if Apple requires it? Will Apple want to go with a single company to supply nearly all their applicable Macs? Can the coating hold up to stress tests as well as glass, which doesn't scratch easily? What about other options for AR coatings, why this company and only that product from this company?

Like I said, I tried to get info back in the day but they weren't too forthcoming about other implementations. Either they didn't know (which isn't good) or they had reason to keep it so secret (which also isn't good). Either way, it was foolish then and it's foolish now to suggest that Apple is foolish for not using Museum Glass®.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #89 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

What's the evidence that Museum Glass(R) is any better at eliminating reflections than Apple's current LCD glass with its optical coatings? After all, MG's manufacturer (Tru-Vue) qualifies its "lowest possible reflection" claims with the fact that it's accompanied by UV protection. Do LCDs need UV protection in the way museum pieces do? If not, then perhaps an even less-reflective coating can be (and is already being) used than what Museum Glass provides.

LOL I was just going over the UV point (again) about Museum Glass.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #90 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMoi View Post

Matte screen please.

You can already get 15 inch and 17 inch MacBook Pros with matte screens ($50 extra), and I assume that will continue. Don't know about the 13 inchers, though.
post #91 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I hope this rumor is true. I could use a 640Gb hard disk in the laptop. It would be nice if they make 4Gb RAM standard on the Macbook Pros too. These could have been delayed by 10.6.3 release too.

4 GB is already standard on all the MacBook Pros - in fact, only the cheapest MacBook comes with just 2 GB standard. You ought to check out the Apple website sometime.
post #92 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

4 GB is already standard on all the MacBook Pros - in fact, only the cheapest MacBook comes with just 2 GB standard. You ought to check out the Apple website sometime.

The cheapest MacBook Pro actually comes with 2GB. http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDczMDY
post #93 of 167
edit: Pipped by AZMtnBiker.


Here's something interesting about the RAM use by notebooks from vendors out of the box. The bottom line is that cheap notebooks need to come with more RAM simply because they need it. Now, you can argue that you can format and reinstall the OS without the crapware or uninstall every hidden piece of preinstalled crapware, but that isn't how they're sold and that isn't what the average buyer does. It's an interesting test...

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/352927/the-crapware-con
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #94 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Well....that destroys the possibility of placing a 2 terabyte drive in my iMac before giving it to my mother.

You really should do some research before spouting nonsense. Apple's policy is that you can replace the hard drive and still be under AppleCare, as long as you don't break anything.
post #95 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've taken FineTunes and backtomac's advice and put these trolls on my ignore list.

I've had this conversation with MacTrpper/SpotOn before. The entire premise is evidence that he's never looked into it. I called the company and spoke to their marketing when he first mentioned this last year. I did research to obtain actual data. Data that he's ignored. For starters, he never mentions the company, just a single product they offer, and not even the right product at that, which can be deemed by 2 seconds on the website.

I could give him the benefit of the doubt that he's using "museum glass" as a generic term but he already makes note of it being trademarked, which rules that out. The better choice is not Museum Glass unless there is an argument to be made that notebook's display panel needs protection from UV light for a few years.I can't think of any. The better fit would be their Reflection Control or AR Reflection-Free products, which is Museum Glass sans UV coating. This also cuts down on cost.

But there are other issues, like the complete lack of CE devices using their technology. They say it's possible but if you can't check out who uses it then it's pointless. Yet another problem is the product offerings. The coatings on the glass are no problem but the only glass they have is 2.5mm thick. If you go for acrylic you can reduce that to 2.3mm (I forget this info but it's all on their webpage. The glass on the MBPs is 1.1mm thick. Can Apple deal with 2.5x the thickness of the glass for the panel? Is 2.5mm the thinnest they can make it? I don't know and MacTripper couldn't give me an answer but he's sure it's only solution for Apple.. and that UV protection is required.

Yet another concern foolishly overlooked as if it's not an issue is the production of this patented product. Does the process take place in the US? Can this company handle the load of 12M Apple PC products, this year, to be sold with their product? Would they agree to Apple's terms for secrecy and the heavy discounts on pricing while applying even more QC than usual and eating additional costs if Apple requires it? Will Apple want to go with a single company to supply nearly all their applicable Macs? Can the coating hold up to stress tests as well as glass, which doesn't scratch easily? What about other options for AR coatings, why this company and only that product from this company?

Like I said, I tried to get info back in the day but they weren't too forthcoming about other implementations. Either they didn't know (which isn't good) or they had reason to keep it so secret (which also isn't good). Either way, it was foolish then and it's foolish now to suggest that Apple is foolish for not using Museum Glass®.

Oh my god. He actually read the research material rather than spouting off at how it doesn't exist.

It doesn't replace the fact he has apparently for years looked like an idiot due to not taking 5 seconds to do the research, but hey, its progress. I'll take what I can get.....
post #96 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Are you sure, MT?
BTW, MT or SO, my MBP 17" has a glossy screen and have little if any problems with reflections or glare. Advantages are brilliant colors and SHARP DEFINITIONS, CRISP IMAGES. Trust me did a lot of comparison--side by side--Glossy IMO is best for me. What others want is up to them tired of SOS. PS-why do all the PC's and Netbooks all seem to have glossy screens????????

I was at the Apple store today, and the 15" MacBook Pro with glossy screen didn't look any "crisper" than the matte screen one to me. And I could see the entire matte screen at one time without having to move it around so the part I wanted to look at didn't have lights reflecting in it (the Apple Store has a lot of lights). But that's just me.
post #97 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've taken FineTunes and backtomac's advice and put these trolls on my ignore list.

Works for me. I can still comment. Attempts at insults aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've had this conversation with MacTrpper/SpotOn before. The entire premise is evidence that he's never looked into it. I called the company and spoke to their marketing when he first mentioned this last year. I did research to obtain actual data. Data that he's ignored. For starters, he never mentions the company, just a single product they offer, and not even the right product at that, which can be deemed by 2 seconds on the website.

This implies he actually did the research way back when. I highly doubt that. I am willing to stake an iPad on the fact he didn't know who this company was until the link was posted today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I could give him the benefit of the doubt that he's using "museum glass" as a generic term but he already makes note of it being trademarked, which rules that out. The better choice is not Museum Glass unless there is an argument to be made that notebook's display panel needs protection from UV light for a few years.I can't think of any. The better fit would be their Reflection Control or AR Reflection-Free products, which is Museum Glass sans UV coating. This also cuts down on cost.

Has he ever been involved in the manufacture of ANYTHING? This I highly doubt as well, so one should not state what they have no knowledge of via lack of experience as fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But there are other issues, like the complete lack of CE devices using their technology. They say it's possible but if you can't check out who uses it then it's pointless. Yet another problem is the product offerings. The coatings on the glass are no problem but the only glass they have is 2.5mm thick. If you go for acrylic you can reduce that to 2.3mm (I forget this info but it's all on their webpage. The glass on the MBPs is 1.1mm thick. Can Apple deal with 2.5x the thickness of the glass for the panel? Is 2.5mm the thinnest they can make it? I don't know and MacTripper couldn't give me an answer but he's sure it's only solution for Apple.. and that UV protection is required.

Black & Decker, Intel, Amazon, Sony, Microsoft....just a few examples of companies with standard Non-disclosure agreements. This statement is almost ludicrous coming from a follower of Apple products. It defeats its own purpose.

Also, the statement also shows there was no knowledge of the company until the link was posted and no further diligence than perusing the site has occurred. Essentially, he tells on himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yet another concern foolishly overlooked as if it's not an issue is the production of this patented product. Does the process take place in the US? Can this company handle the load of 12M Apple PC products, this year, to be sold with their product? Would they agree to Apple's terms for secrecy and the heavy discounts on pricing while applying even more QC than usual and eating additional costs if Apple requires it? Will Apple want to go with a single company to supply nearly all their applicable Macs? Can the coating hold up to stress tests as well as glass, which doesn't scratch easily? What about other options for AR coatings, why this company and only that product from this company?

This matters WHY, again? The scenario is obvious. The electronics can be manufactured and assembled in China or Taiwan, where all Current Mac Products are made currently, and then shipped to the United States, where they can be inspected by Apple, and then finally the top glass/digitizer layer can be installed, it will be packaged and then shipped.

In an attempt to seem more informed then one actually is they succeeded in displaying how uninformed they actually are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Like I said, I tried to get info back in the day but they weren't too forthcoming about other implementations. Either they didn't know (which isn't good) or they had reason to keep it so secret (which also isn't good). Either way, it was foolish then and it's foolish now to suggest that Apple is foolish for not using Museum Glass®.

That is an outright fallacy. The fact it is a fallacy is quoted in the above statements.

I really wish people would think before speaking. At least re-read what they previously wrote.....
post #98 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You really should do some research before spouting nonsense. Apple's policy is that you can replace the hard drive and still be under AppleCare, as long as you don't break anything.

And THAT was a BLATANT PERSONAL ATTACK. You led off with the attack and then attempted to follow with something less benign.

It seems to be standard practice here, apparently.
post #99 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

And THAT was a BLATANT PERSONAL ATTACK. You led off with the attack and then attempted to follow with something less benign.

It seems to be standard practice here, apparently.

The fact is, you were wrong in your assumptions about AppleCare and about not being able to replace the hard drive without violating the warranty, which you stated in several different posts. Sorry if my language was too strong.
post #100 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The fact is, you were wrong in your assumptions about AppleCare and about not being able to replace the hard drive without violating the warranty, which you stated in several different posts. Sorry if my language was too strong.

The fact is you have been called out for initiating a personal attack and are now hoping the moderators have not noticed this.

Of course, the correct way to avoid that is simple:

Don't engage in personal attacks.

Interesting how that works out, isn't it?

Also, I HAVE apple care. It will still be active when I pass this iMac extreme to my mother in place of a new apple set up. I personally asked apple, their tech support, and all associated reps if my replacing the hard drive would void my warranty and was told it not only would but also that my only option for upgrading the drive was (over) paying them to install an apple approved drive, which at that time still only capped out to a terabyte.

Apparently they were misinformed?

Due to what I know has occurred just sending iPhones in for repair, I am unsure I would like to send my mac with my HDD to apple to repair. I feel I may have to wipe my drive first, in case they actually succeed in losing the unit.

Ironically, my posting "style" is an exact carbon copy of someone else posting here, if they actually elected to be polite in their statements rather than attempting to display their transparent attempt at superiority.

This can be verified by doing something as simple as an "all post from this user" search.

Amazingly, the ignore list works quite well. Though I can always see the result of the resident bullies in the responses to their posts.
post #101 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The fact is, you were wrong in your assumptions about AppleCare and about not being able to replace the hard drive without violating the warranty, which you stated in several different posts. Sorry if my language was too strong.

He's one of those posters that attack everyone but when you call them out they say it's all your fault for being a meanie. His posting style is just like another troll here but I can't recall the name. I wonder if they are same person.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #102 of 167
Noticed a lot of negative remarks regarding Seagate drives and wondering what is wrong with them? I have used many seagate drives over the years and have never had anything but success with them.
post #103 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You really should do some research before spouting nonsense. Apple's policy is that you can replace the hard drive and still be under AppleCare, as long as you don't break anything.

And that's not quite true because one breaks seals when opening up certain Apple devices.

I've had Apple refuse to service a device under warranty because I disturbed some torx screws that were colored with blue dye. I wanted to see the guts.

Also because a lot of their devices require certain technical training to disassemble/reassemble makes that rather difficult to accomplish without breaking something.

MacPro and certain laptops that the hard drive can be accessed through the battery bay easily without disturbing torx screws is usually the limit.
post #104 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

Noticed a lot of negative remarks regarding Seagate drives and wondering what is wrong with them? I have used many seagate drives over the years and have never had anything but success with them.

At best, these are anecdotal experiences from people that mostly used Seagate drives and/or just got unlucky. According to a very large, in-depth analysis Google did several years (since they use a tremendous number of drives) the found no real issue, as I recall, between any one drive manufacturer and that if a drive is going to be faulty you'll know about it sooner rather than later.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #105 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I personally asked apple, their tech support, and all associated reps if my replacing the hard drive would void my warranty and was told it not only would but also that my only option for upgrading the drive was (over) paying them to install an apple approved drive, which at that time still only capped out to a terabyte.

If Apple replaces the hard drive it shouldn't violate your warranty, this has been my experience.

If you do it outside of Apple for devices that requires technical level (ie torx screws and beyond) then of course it does, this has been my impression.

User level swaps, like in the Mac mini, some laptops with battery bays and access to the drive that way, and the Mac Pro, are perfectly fine.
post #106 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At best, these are anecdotal experiences from people that mostly used Seagate drives and/or just got unlucky. According to a very large, in-depth analysis Google did several years (since they use a tremendous number of drives) the found no real issue, as I recall, between any one drive manufacturer and that if a drive is going to be faulty you'll know about it sooner rather than later.

Misinformation, read the release

Google didn't release the drive maker or model

Didn't want to be sued obviously.

It's common knowledge that Seagate drives are just above Maxor in quality, going by the return rate given anonymously, although the russians posted a chart once, it's gone now..

Then Seagate bought Maxor, like two bottom fish mating

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10558135/


Pretty easy to do stuff via the web.

Of course in person trying to impersonate someone from Apple interested in anti-reflective glass with absolutely no technical experience in such things is a different story, isn't it?
post #107 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Oh my god. He actually read the research material rather than spouting off at how it doesn't exist.

It doesn't replace the fact he has apparently for years looked like an idiot due to not taking 5 seconds to do the research, but hey, its progress. I'll take what I can get.....

you really should stop attacking people, especially people who have been in this forum for long time and have more credible with us, then you.

Solipsism on most occasions is very good at doing his homework with concern to research and providing factual opinion in his replies and ever though I may not agree with his remarks, I found them to well put together and thought provoking.

It is easy to attack, but much harder to use your god given brain (if you believe in evolution, your evolved brain) to provide thought provoking comments that will initiate good forum discussion with us all.
post #108 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

Noticed a lot of negative remarks regarding Seagate drives and wondering what is wrong with them? I have used many seagate drives over the years and have never had anything but success with them.

About a year ago, Seagate seemed to have had a particularly bad run of 7200.11 drives in 750GB, 1TB and maybe 1.5TB capacities. Reportedly an unexpectedly high fraction of these drives would suddenly become unresponsive. Seagate provided firmware updates, but the situation took a long time to resolve and was very confusing and scary to customers. The particular firmware update needed--which the customer had to install--depended on both the model number and the serial number. For a long while it seemed, customers could only contact Seagate via e-mail to obtain the new firmware (and get it installed before their drive failed). Some people were apparently posting their firmware for others to download, not recognizing that the same firmware mightn't be appropriate for everyone else's drives. Eventually, Seagate set up a website where customers could enter their specific model number and serial number to obtain the appropriate download link.
post #109 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

you really should stop attacking people, especially people who have been in this forum for long time and have more credible with us, then you.

Solipsism on most occasions is very good at doing his homework with concern to research and providing factual opinion in his replies and ever though I may not agree with his remarks, I found them to well put together and thought provoking.

It is easy to attack, but much harder to use your god given brain (if you believe in evolution, your evolved brain) to provide thought provoking comments that will initiate good forum discussion with us all.


Review the thread, it's all there.
post #110 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Misinformation, read the release

Google didn't release the drive maker or model

Didn't want to be sued obviously.

It's common knowledge that Seagate drives are just above Maxor in quality, going by the return rate.

Then Seagate bought Maxor, like two bottom fish mating

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10558135/


Pretty easy to do stuff via the web.

Of course in person trying to impersonate someone from Apple interested in anti-reflective glass with absolutely no technical experience in such things is a different story, isn't it?

I have searched post after post by solipsism and it always seems to follow the same trend:

He picks someone he doesn't like, attacks them, gets others to gang up on them and then (as he stated in a previous post) feels its okay due to having everyone else joining him in his bashing.

He then labels said person a troll and gains more followers due to the negative connotation that obviously holds.

Ironically, he is more often than not wrong, which has been shown here and in my post regarding museum glass. His post shows he had no knowledge of the product and had no desire to bother himself to even search for it. Also, it didn't help his case of being able to gang up on someone if he could obviously be easily proven wrong.

Apparently solidarity is the only reason he has not been banned for this behavior, but that is no surprise. The world has devolved to high school, so why should it be any different here?

Anecdotally, I was quite infamous in high school, though I should not have been, but that is another story for later. I suspect he was not.

He then, when realizing he could be wrong, gathers as much information as he can google on the subject, after drawing it out as long as he can, places the person he has labeled "troll" on his ignore list, and then proceeds to respond as though he has always known of this and as though the other party that actually informed him of this was not there (in essence, in his little bubble they are not, being in his ignore list.)

I don't care how long he has been here or how many posts he has, a bully is a bully and I call them as I see them.
post #111 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

you really should stop attacking people, especially people who have been in this forum for long time and have more credible with us, then you.

Solipsism on most occasions is very good at doing his homework with concern to research and providing factual opinion in his replies and ever though I may not agree with his remarks, I found them to well put together and thought provoking.

It is easy to attack, but much harder to use your god given brain (if you believe in evolution, your evolved brain) to provide thought provoking comments that will initiate good forum discussion with us all.

See my response to SpotOn......
post #112 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I have searched post after post by solipsism and it always seems to follow the same trend:

He picks someone he doesn't like, attacks them, gets others to gang up on them and then (as he stated in a previous post) feels its okay due to having everyone else joining him in his bashing.

He then labels said person a troll and gains more followers due to the negative connotation that obviously holds.

I don't care how long he has been here or how many posts he has, a bully is a bully and I call them as I see them.


Yep, that about sums it up.

It was ok when Teckturd was around, he was a notorious troll and solipsism and company had someone to pick on as he was very disruptive.

But Ireland made this poll about users with different nicks trolling the boards and the mods decided to crack down.

I came up because earlier I was mistaken for one of Teckturds aliases by solipsism in his witch hunt and trolled heavily by his group.

I quit MacTripper and became Woohoo! which AI accidentally perma-banned me cause I posted a ad link by mistake.

I signed back up as SpotOn and immediately apologized, which I have been since, all the same IP, nothing to hide.

AI admitted it was their mistake for perma banning and offered me Woohoo! again later in the cleaning up of alternate nicks, which I declined, as all my recent posts were SpotOn.

I've only received two minor infractions since I've been here, responding to solipsism's troll bait.

Depending what mod returns, will depend if I get any more for this thread.

I said the truth and I'm glad someone else see's what I see, that without a common enemy to pick on he goes on a witch hunt looking for one, attacking people like you say.

It's all been obvious to me from the very beginning, but without moderators on full time, it's hard to read everything, why the spam exists for some time, why the bullies reign, why the trolls find a place here.

I don't dislike slops, I got him to laugh one time. It's just he's such a skitzo attack dog sometimes, he likes you and then he bites you.
post #113 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Yep, that about sums it up.

It was ok when Teckturd was around, he was a notorious troll and solipsism and company had someone to pick on as he was very disruptive.

But Ireland made this poll about users with different nicks trolling the boards and the mods decided to crack down.

I came up because earlier I was mistaken for one of Teckturds aliases by solipsism in his witch hunt and trolled heavily by his group.

I quit MacTripper and became Woohoo! which AI accidentally perma-banned me cause I posted a ad link by mistake.

I signed back up as SpotOn and immediately apologized, which I have been since, all the same IP, nothing to hide.

AI admitted it was their mistake for perma banning and offered me Woohoo! again later in the cleaning up of alternate nicks, which I declined, as all my recent posts were SpotOn.

I've only received two minor infractions since I've been here, responding to solipsism's troll bait.

Depending what mod returns, will depend if I get any more for this thread.

I said the truth and I'm glad someone else see's what I see, that without a common enemy to pick on he goes on a witch hunt looking for one, attacking people like you say.

It's all been obvious to me from the very beginning, but without moderators on full time, it's hard to read everything, why the spam exists for some time, why the bullies reign, why the trolls find a place here.

I don't dislike slops, I got him to laugh one time. It's just he's such a skitzo attack dog sometimes, he likes you and then he bites you.

My wife's family had a german shepherd similar to that once ( I always thought that was a little disturbing as they are Polish)

His name was Togo.

He bit her friend, then bit her father (the actual hand that fed him) and was finally put down.

That type of erratic behavior isn't tolerated in normal society.....

That having been said, I will ultimately stand by my observation. I have done nothing ban worthy and would immediately point a mod at this thread, or, to be honest, nearly any other thread he's posted in, to highlight the trend.

I come here to get information, not relive middle school.

Considering I utilize the forums to get another view of the articles posted, it has become tiring wading through his constant attacks in order to get any usable and factual information or view points.
post #114 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Considering I utilize the forums to get another view of the articles posted, it has become tiring wading through his constant attacks in order to get any usable and factual information or view points.


Yep me too, it's just some generals want to keep the war going...

I just want to be a happy poster and make people laugh, not get involved with these gutter games.

Good night. Got to go.

post #115 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dien0011 View Post

I know someone who is a head buyer for laptops at Best Buy. They entire line is being refreshed this month with new processors.

Apple has to refresh. I consider myself to be an apple fan but some of my extreme apple friends are talking about dumping the mbp getting an ipad for the road and a stronger iMac for home. Although I NEED the express slot for high end quip fx that take a load off the CPU. Can't get that on the iMac. Probably the reason there is noncamera for chatting and other similar things.

Apple is indeed on a role. About to change computing if you ask me. Will be interesting to see the google laptops if it ever happens.
post #116 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Either way, it was foolish then and it's foolish now to suggest that Apple is foolish for not using Museum Glass®.

Soli, you make some good points here, as per usual. However, it has to be pointed out that since apple decided to use glass pretty much across the board and set themselves up with a reflection/glare issue, they might not be foolish for not using Museum Glass, but they certainly are overdue in finding a solution to the problem they set up for themselves.

It's evident for example that the 27" imac is one of the most beautifully designed and implemented personal computers in the market, but it's also evident that there's a usability issue for a large percentage of the population that is related to the glass display. Repeating the museum glass argument ad nauseam isn't going to make it go away of course, and it's grating (and maybe there's an ulterior motive for some people mentioning it), I 'll give you that, but apple has given ample impetus for this I am sorry to say.

I can never suggest an imac to so many people that would want to switch, unless they are young and with a good eyesight or they have perfectly controlled lighting conditions where they set up their mac. And I can't suggest a 13" macbook pro either. This is a real shame, and one way or the other it has to be addressed by apple eventually.

Like I said, if they categorise this issue as on par with a demand for flash for the idevices, or for a blu ray drive, then they are seriously misguided and they are alienating a lot of loyal customers. If on the other hand they are actively involved in finding an anti reflective coating solution that is viable for production I am waiting eagerly to see the fruits of their labour.
post #117 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Misinformation, read the release

Google didn't release the drive maker or model

Didn't want to be sued obviously.

It's common knowledge that Seagate drives are just above Maxor in quality, going by the return rate given anonymously, although the russians posted a chart once, it's gone now..

Then Seagate bought Maxor, like two bottom fish mating

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10558135/


Pretty easy to do stuff via the web.

Of course in person trying to impersonate someone from Apple interested in anti-reflective glass with absolutely no technical experience in such things is a different story, isn't it?

Let's not stoop low here, seagate drives are perfectly fine, I 've been a seagate user all my life, and although I have many wds too, I would wager that right now seagate has the edge to wd in a lot of respects. They 've had a bad batch of drives that was fixed with a firmware update for a couple of months. The same drives with the new firmware have proven excellent then on.


Btw, in terms of forum squabbles, let's just bury the hatchet for a while guys, some good will by all parties is required.

This is one of the very few apple related websites that have some level of discourse and community to them still, it's not the bunch of idiots that go to macrumors forums, lots of pc idiots as well as apple ones.

The moderating is also fair and lax and allows for self regulation of the forums instead of bans and policing. There's been some bad blood on both sides, and I think with good reason from both sides, still as a bystander I appreciate that very informative posts have been made notwithstanding the squabbles, and that's something.
post #118 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I am going to ask this in all sincerity: Would you like me to post the definition of attack?

So you can define your way out of it and "prove" that you've never "attacked" anyone? No, not necessary.
post #119 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Soli, you make some good points here, as per usual. However, it has to be pointed out that since apple decided to use glass pretty much across the board and set themselves up with a reflection/glare issue, they might not be foolish for not using Museum Glass, but they certainly are overdue in finding a solution to the problem they set up for themselves.

I've never seen two people so thin skinned and so wrong in one thread on these forums simply not get it.

MacTripper never suggested an A/R coating for the glass Mac displays. He is only suggesting that Apple use one particular product by one particulate company. On top of that he suggests the product with the UV protection coating, but he won't say why it's necessary. He has never explained why he thinks this one company is important to Apple's future. I've already gone over the issues I addressed about Tru Vue and my questions are still left unanswered from the first page so there is no point in rehashing them.

I'm sorry these asshats derailed the thread so badly. I asked him all these same questions when he first mentioned it last year or 2(?) years ago so I should have known better than to think I would get an intelligent answer now.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #120 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Btw, in terms of forum squabbles, let's just bury the hatchet for a while guys, some good will by all parties is required.

This is one of the very few apple related websites that have some level of discourse and community to them still, it's not the bunch of idiots that go to macrumors forums, lots of pc idiots as well as apple ones.

The moderating is also fair and lax and allows for self regulation of the forums instead of bans and policing. There's been some bad blood on both sides, and I think with good reason from both sides, still as a bystander I appreciate that very informative posts have been made notwithstanding the squabbles, and that's something.

Amen to that. This place is a valuable resource, it does have a value, but it has been on rocky ground for a while now. Despite what you say in your last paragraph, the mods have acted recently, and have for now at least, excised some of the demons that were shaking this forum apart. Good for them. Now, it's time for all good men to come to the aid of the party!
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon