or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone

Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone - Page 4

post #121 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks but why would that be better than a MacBook 13" that runs flawlessly, no need for Kaspersky et al and all the associated problems? Is it simply price? Two inches hardly matters (no jokes please). If it is price you can get great MacBooks second hand that still run Leopard and some Snow Leopard. Heck I still have a base model iBook G4 12" that runs Leopard fine.

I have to say this was the case back in October. I needed something to take notes with while doing a psych internship. If price truly were an issue for me, I might have gone with a netbook, as a colleague did. But when comparing apples to netbooks, there was no comparison. The 13" MBP won out. No regrets or remorse. In fact, I'll be upgrading the HD and Boot Camping to Window as it has become a work machine also.
post #122 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The fact that you have to use a (full) computer at times, it is not a stand-alone.

Why do you, "have to use a (full) computer at times"?
post #123 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Troll? Hell no... fanboy, maybe.

Seriously, You said something like "NetBooks with keyboards 93% normal size and even bigger", And my reply is "What is the point of a NetBook if it's not that smaller? What makes it so different from a Laptop?"

The answer is, IMHO, is that a keyboard too big is not portable and a keyboard too small is no good to use.

The thing I see with netbooks and their "93%"-sized keyboards is that they have maximized the use of width of the body. The Dell Mini 10's keyboard literally runs from side to side. This is why they can be portable, and still have keyboards that are wide enough to be useful.

It would be like the current iPad reducing the thickness of the bezel to make it more compact, while retaining the same amount of useful screen space.

EDIT: Apple probably already have plans to do this and I'm expecting a C&D letter/e-mail any minute now...
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #124 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Twitter users reacting to Apple's iPad after it launched on Saturday were overwhelmingly happy with the new device, with the biggest complaint being that the device can't replace their iPhone

my biggest complaint? that "this iPad is not a donut."

yeesh.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #125 of 186
Quote:

The fact that you have to use a (full) computer at times, it is not a stand-alone.

Why?

I could picture getting an iPad for my mother. She would use it to browse the web, watch my daughter's YouTube videos, receive email, and look at pictures. Why would she ever need to sync it to a computer?

Granted, she would not be able to upgrade the firmware, but lots of people never bother to do that.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #126 of 186
Quote:

For all intents and purposes and for the design Apple has set up it's clearly meant to be an accessory computing device. But that isn't what anonymouse was referring to.

It's also being obscured that while netbooks can be a primary computing device they are typically accessory computing devices and their poor attempt at trying to do everything their larger can do makes them as useful as a using a Swiss Army Knife to cut down a tree when a you have a single-funciton saw handy. Sure, it can do the job, but it's far from an ideal, or even a decent tool for the job.

I'd say Apple has clearly seen how people use netbooks and has removed all the other crap to make them great at doing those tasks. That is what the iPad tried to do, and succeeds and what other netbooks and tablets will copy.

PS: Another example of a stand alone computing device is the Archos 5. Because it runs Win7 is can technically be used as a primary computing device. Not sure who would want to.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #127 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

was it ever marketed to be a replacement for the iPhone???
that is a really a dumb complaint.

Assume you really like the iPad.
Assume you take it always with you whenever you wear a jacket with a pocket large enough for it or have a small shoulder back with you.
Assume that when you have it with you, you use it for almost all the tasks you currently use the iPhone for.
Doesn't it then feel a little bid odd to also carry your iPhone with you, so to just use it to make calls with it?
I agree that taking a phone call while the iPad sits in a shoulder back doesn't quite work too well [EDIT: if you do not have a headset in your ears already]. Dialing neither. But maybe we just need an 'iPhone remote' for the iPad. Or an iPhone mini.
post #128 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

I agree that taking a phone call while the iPad sits in a shoulder back doesn't quite work too well. Dialing neither. But maybe we just need an 'iPhone remote' for the iPad. Or an iPhone mini.

Not as bad as you might think. You can use a remote headset to answer an iPhone call without taking the phone out of your pocket. You can also use voice dialing to make a call without taking the phone out of your pocket.

I don't know if those solutions would work with Skype on an iPad, though.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #129 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It would actually be nice to be able to make phonecalls on it.

You can if you use google voice!

Very stupid complaint (replacing the iPhone I mean). Who in their right mind would want to use an iPad as a phone REPLACEMENT?! Wow!

The upside would be that police would have a much easier time knowing if people are talking on their phone or texting while driving.
post #130 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not as bad as you might think. You can use a remote headset to answer an iPhone call without taking the phone out of your pocket. You can also use voice dialing to make a call without taking the phone out of your pocket.

You need two things, a remote (and the current headset with the remote + voice dialling goes some way to cover this) and you need to have a headset plugged into your ears (or at least dangling in front of you so you can put it into your ears reasonably fast).
If a remote existed that would double as a hand-holdable headset, this would solve both points.
post #131 of 186
Quote:

Assume you take it always with you whenever you have wear a jacket with a pocket large enough for it or have a small shoulder back with you.
Assume that when you have it with you, you use it for almost all the tasks you currently use the iPhone for.
Doesn't it then feel a little bid odd to also carry your iPhone with you, so to just make calls with it?
I agree that taking a phone call while the iPad sits in a shoulder back doesn't quite work too well. Dialing neither. But maybe we just need an 'iPhone remote' for the iPad. Or an iPhone mini.

Why don't my car keys work as a phone?! So just because we carry something with us most places means it should replace our phone? Hey, if you want to use an iPad as a phone just use google voice or Skype.

You know you could get rid of your iPhone & get some incredibly small phone that does nothing but phone calls. If you had the iPad with 3G that wouldn't be a bad deal...hmmmm.

I swear these arguments get worse the more people try to defend the idea of an iPad as a phone.
post #132 of 186
Quote:

You need two things, a remote (and the current headset with the remote + voice dialling goes some way to cover this) and you need to have a headset plugged into your ears (or at least dangling in front of you so you can put it into your ears reasonably fast).
If a remote existed that would double as a hand-holdable headset, this would solve both points.

Let's see - a hand-held remote with earpiece and microphone and keypad for dialing. Why not just carry a dumbphone?

Admittedly, if you went that route, you'd only have the iPad's $30 per month data service (or no charge at all if you use wifi all the time) instead of a monthly phone bill PLUS the iPad's charge, so there would be some savings, but I'd be surprised if very many people would do it.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #133 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Why don't my car keys work as a phone?! So just because we carry something with us most places means it should replace our phone?

97% of the time I use my iPhone, I am not using the phone functionality. An iPad can replace these 97% of usage (assuming one has the iPad with oneself). My car key is used 99% of the time as a car key. My iPhone is not. My point is that the iPad makes a lot of the functionality of the iPhone redundant.

Quote:
You know you could get rid of your iPhone & get some incredibly small phone that does nothing but phone calls. If you had the iPad with 3G that wouldn't be a bad deal...hmmmm.

Exactly my point, that is where a 'phone remote' for the iPad or an iPhone mini would fit in.
post #134 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see - a hand-held remote with earpiece and microphone and keypad for dialing. Why not just carry a dumbphone?

Because the iPhone is a much nicer phone than a dumbphone (not least the Address Book integration, the whole UI, the Visual Voicemail).
post #135 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Why do you, "have to use a (full) computer at times"?

Updating OS
Backing up data
Printing
Saving files externally

Sure, there are some people that don't or won't, and one could get away with never ever connecting to a full computer, but the first thing that comes to mind, how do you start is out of the box without doing so.

Then what do you do when your iPad gets full books, music and videos that you bought, or you plain lose it.

Just perusing the iPad User's Guide and 'computer' comes up 136 times. There is a good important reasons for it too. I think that it is rather misleading to imply in any manner that the iPad could be used as a stand-alone device.

Apple never intended the iPad to be a stand-alone. Apple has made it quite clear in this regard. And attempting to qualify it as such only confuses those that probably don't need to be misguided.

Bottom line, the iPad as a device is downright inexpensive. The applications, materials you purchase, add or create on it are priceless. Backing up is paramount. Why screw anybody's head by telling, misleading or encouraging them otherwise.
post #136 of 186
Quote:

It would actually be nice to be able to make phonecalls on it.

Why can't you. Truphone for iPad was just released
post #137 of 186
Quote:

Updating OS
Backing up data
Printing
Saving files externally

Sure, there are some people that don't or won't, and one could get away with never ever connecting to a full computer, but the first thing that comes to mind, how do you start is out of the box without doing so.

Then what do you do when your iPad gets full books, music and videos that you bought, or you plain lose it.

Just perusing the iPad User's Guide and 'computer' comes up 136 times. There is a good important reasons for it too. I think that it is rather misleading to imply in any manner that the iPad could be used as a stand-alone device.

Apple never intended the iPad to be a stand-alone. Apple has made it quite clear in this regard. And attempting to qualify it as such only confuses those that probably don't need to be misguided.

Bottom line, the iPad as a device is downright inexpensive. The applications, materials you purchase, add or create on it are priceless. Backing up is paramount. Why screw anybody's head by telling, misleading or encouraging them otherwise.

Well, the issue was simply whether it were possible.

Not whether it was recommended or "the best way to use it".

And the fact is that, despite the drawbacks you mention (after all, some people don't do any of those things anyway), not only is it possible, but that it is likely, just as some people already use iPhones as standalone devices, activating them at the Apple store and never connecting it to a "full" computer again.
post #138 of 186
Quote:

Assume you take it always with you whenever you wear a jacket with a pocket large enough for it or have a small shoulder back with you.
Doesn't it then feel a little bid odd to also carry your iPhone with you, so to just use it to make calls with it?
I agree that taking a phone call while the iPad sits in a shoulder back doesn't quite work too well [EDIT: if you do not have a headset in your ears already]. Dialing neither. But maybe we just need an 'iPhone remote' for the iPad. Or an iPhone mini.

There are a lot of situations which do not lend themselves to carrying around a 10" tablet. I think most will wind up using the device more when they're puttering around the house. I see the iPad as a device that can be better suited to activities that are now being done on laptops only because there hasn't really been a better alternative. It seems to me that one is more likely to substitute the iPad for a laptop for certain activities than an iPhone when on the go. IPhone sales are in no way threatened.
post #139 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

There are a lot of situations which do not lend themselves to carrying around a 10" tablet. I think most will wind up using the device more when they're puttering around the house. I see the iPad as a device that can be better suited to activities that are now being done on laptops only because there hasn't really been a better alternative. It seems to me that one is more likely to substitute the iPad for a laptop for certain activities than an iPhone when on the go. IPhone sales are in no way threatened.

I agree.

I will be using mine around the house instead of my laptop. I will also be taking it on vacation instead of carrying my 17" MBP and half a dozen books.

I still need the laptop for business travel (although if Back to My Mac works as well as I think, even that might not be necessary at some point).
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #140 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Nobody ever said that would be better than a Macbook 13. What the heck?

My original post on this thread was asking what a 'netbook' was as I didn't really know what all the fuss was about ... that's all. You kindly answered and I was then asking why anyone would want one I guess. It wasn't arguing with anything you said. So now I understand they are simply laptops albeit cheaper and smaller and less powered then any comparison to an iPad I can see is a bit pointless. Sorry if I confused you.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #141 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Twitter users reacting to Apple's iPad after it launched on Saturday were overwhelmingly happy with the new device, with the biggest complaint being that the device can't replace their iPhone, a new survey of the social networking Web site found.

This is the reason I'm not going to buy it, because I can't afford a luxury in-between between my laptop and iPhone. If it replaced either of them, then maybe. They definitely should have a model that does phone
post #142 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

They definitely should have a model that does phone

Sheesh. 166 posts into this thread and countless other threads and you STILL don't know what it's capable of?

The iPad can be used to make phone calls. Use Skype or Truphone (or probably other services) if you want to make phone calls on an iPad.

Is it too much to ask for people to learn about a product before complaining about it?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #143 of 186
Quote:

Well, the issue was simply whether it were possible.

Not whether it was recommended or "the best way to use it".

And the fact is that, despite the drawbacks you mention (after all, some people don't do any of those things anyway), not only is it possible, but that it is likely, just as some people already use iPhones as standalone devices, activating them at the Apple store and never connecting it to a "full" computer again.

But only for a little while.

Just like car manufacturers recommend that you change the oil routinely. Some people never do. But only for a little while.

Bottom line is is NOT a standalone. It is not intended to be. According to Apple a computer is "Required"
post #144 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

This is the reason I'm not going to buy it, because I can't afford a luxury in-between between my laptop and iPhone. If it replaced either of them, then maybe. They definitely should have a model that does phone

Perfectly reasonable comment. Although even if it did have true built in phone abilities now a MacBook and an iPhone is probably the most practical if budget is limited to two out of the three items simply because you can't have an iPad on you as easily at almost all times like an iPhone. It is indeed a luxury item for many as it is, I can't argue with that. I do think it will find many important roles over time such as in education and medical fields to name but two.
post #145 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I hope by phone calls, they actually meant video conferencing because if you want to replace your iPhone with a 10" pad held up to your ear, then you're too stupid to own an iPad.

Give it to me.

That's just too damn funny!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #146 of 186
This article only proves that Twitter users are retarded.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

post #147 of 186
Quote:

If you buy an iPad for your Mom and ship it to her, she will turn it on and it will not work. She needs to use a computer running iTunes in order to make it functional.

Then just set it up on your computer before sending it.
post #148 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I hope by phone calls, they actually meant video conferencing because if you want to replace your iPhone with a 10" pad held up to your ear, then you're too stupid to own an iPad.

I think people look stupid holding phones up to their ear, regardless of size.
post #149 of 186
Just got my case, hate that it does not fit the dock with the case. Very hard to remove from case!
post #150 of 186
Back to the basic story subject. I'd be really interested if Attensity Group also had measured the mean IQ of all the people who posted on Twitter! Matter of fact, they should publish the mean IQ of all the members of Attensity Group, considering the inane nature of their "analysis."

Hypothesis: that both mean sample IQs will measure at least one standard deviation below the mean IQ of the general population.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #151 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Just got my case, hate that it does not fit the dock with the case. Very hard to remove from case!

Interesting. Gotta check that out next time I'm by our local Apple retail store. Am holding off for the 3G and planning to take it on a road trip.

post #152 of 186
Quote:

97% of the time I use my iPhone, I am not using the phone functionality. An iPad can replace these 97% of usage (assuming one has the iPad with oneself). My car key is used 99% of the time as a car key. My iPhone is not. My point is that the iPad makes a lot of the functionality of the iPhone redundant.

Exactly my point, that is where a 'phone remote' for the iPad or an iPhone mini would fit in.

That's why I added ...hmmmm. to the end, starting to like the idea of getting a small & indestructible phone & then getting an iPad.

I mentioned the keys because I took from your post you were implying that it might as well function as a phone if you carry it around everywhere you go. That argument to me made about as much sense as me saying my keys should be a phone. It's a niche ideal, one that I don't think most of us would really want. Niche means money & personally I'd rather sacrifice that niche to pay less for an iPad.

Look, sarcasm aside, it seems there is this growing group that believes all devices should become integrated into 1 device that will equally meet all needs of every person. It's just a silly & impossible ideal. The only way something like that can ever happen is if we were to begin to build devices using nano-technology, something that is still a long long loooooong way from being possible.

On to a real complaint, where is the camera for the iPad?!! Come on Apple, fumbled the ball on that one!
post #153 of 186
Quote:

The intelligence of Twitter users is NOT the subject of this thread. I find your characterizations to be insulting in the extreme.

You definitely have my apology. Looking back at the story, I see that my comment was extremely poorly constructed. What I meant to talk about was the subset of tweets expressing disappointment that the iPad does not have a native phone function. And in that regard I also demeaned the Attensity Group. Altogether, I whiffed that by a mile.

post #154 of 186
Quote:

Bottom line is is NOT a standalone. It is not intended to be. According to Apple a computer is "Required"

The bottom line is that it isn't intended by Apple to be a standalone computer, but that there is, de facto, nothing preventing it from being used as such other than the initial activation, which can be done at an Apple retail store.
post #155 of 186
Quote:

And a netbook.

cant even do that
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #156 of 186
Quote:

Why can't you. Truphone for iPad was just released

Yes you can, provided you want to pay the hidden fees.
post #157 of 186
In my opinion the best option for making the iPad into a phone is Toktumi's Line2 app which works on the iPhone, iPod Touch (with a headset) and of course the iPad. It's a VoIP app but you get your own phone number (800 if you wish) as well as a huge list of calling features including voice mail that sends you an email with an mp3 of the message. Works on WIFI and/or 3G.

It's $15 per month but considering 3G service is $30/month you have unlimited US and Canada talk for $45/month. If you have iPhone service, you can use it on WIFI to cut your minutes (as the name implies it's a second line).

In fact you can use Line2 on all these devices at once, having the same number on each device. They're soon releasing push notifications as well as OS X software to run it on your computer as well.

I use it as my only phone over WIFI. It's an iPhone I use it on but I no longer have an ATT contract. So I am paying $15/month for unlimited phone.

Read more here http://douglasdolde.com/news.html
post #158 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Yes you can, provided you want to pay the hidden fees.

Skype isn't free either
post #159 of 186
Quote:

At this particular point in time, most people will be better served with a desktop, iPad and smartphone, and at the same or lower cost.

This is true. In fact I wonder if devices like the iPad won't cause a reverse in the decline of desktop sales and increase of laptop sales. As an iPad and iPhone owner, an iMac makes more sense now as my next computer than another Macbook Pro.
post #160 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Something is either a standalone device or is isn't. Stop trying to bend reality. Its not a standalone device and the fact that Apple lists other hardware as a system requirement means you can't even debate that fact without sounding foolish.

It's a standalone device if it can be used as a standalone device. I invite you to present a valid argument as to why it can't be used as a standalone device, apart from initial activation, which can be done at the Apple retail store.

NOTE: You may wish to review the thread and avoid any of the arguments already used since none of them have shown that it can't be used as a standalone device.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone