or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone - Page 3

post #81 of 186
"It can't replace iPhone", so no cannibalization of iPhone sales?! I thought that was a good thing and something that Apple wanted.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #82 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

Feynman wrote (and I took it to heart) What do you care what other people think?

I can see using the ipad with either a wired headset (think Plantronics) or with a bluetooth headset...why the hell not? Along with skype as a voip client.

I don't. I was referring to the way the anti-iPad folk would react if you read what I said again. I agree with you entirely.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #83 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the biggest complaint being that the device can't replace their iPhone, a new survey of the social networking Web site found.

Lol, wut?

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't replace my car. Or drop gold coins out of its dock connector slot. Or make wishes come true.
post #84 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

As for the "no flash support", I would be curious to see in what contexts and on which sites.

all contexts, all sites. For the iphone OS (which is what the ipad uses) Flash is up there with Windows. not there at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Stop calling users dumb for feeling what they feel.

this has nothing to do with feelings. It has to do with facts. It's been well known that the ipad had no calling making functions from day one. And that this wasn't even the 3g data model.

So why if that was such an important function to these folks did they buy an ipad. Same for the folks all up in arms about the lack of Flash but bought an ipad anyway

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #85 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Out of interest I just googled 'fanboyz' and after several pages of various types I had yet to come across any reference to Apple.

Well, not to worry. Here's the definition of 'fanboy':

fanboy /fænˌbɔɪ/

- noun

1. A derogatory term used to describe those with whom one disagrees on a given subject.

2. A person who has a better argument than one on a particular topic. Typically, the usage is in response to points made to which one does not have a cogent response.
post #86 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcc View Post

I had my finger on my enter key a few weeks ago, ready to order my iPad and decided against it. It just doesn't do what I need it to do. Yet.
At this particular point in time I believe most people will be better served with a smartphone and a laptop.

Well you are right to wait until you see a need or not. As I wrote earlier it has fast become my research tool of preference. Sitting on a couch is a nice change from at my desk 8+ hours a day. So for me it is a great tool. Horses for courses. My MacBook is sitting unused now poor thing. However on a trip where I'd be away for a long time I'd take both iPad and MacBook. I am lucky as I am in the business and these are my tools and therefor a tax write off. I have to check web sites and videos on all platforms from XP, through 7, to OS X and iPhones and iPads. If it were just a personal thing I'd probably have stuck with my MacBook for now and just drooled a while longer.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #87 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

Flash not included on iPhone and iPad is simply that anyone could make their own Flash App Store and undermine Apple's marketing model.

That is, of course, the version espoused by people who prefer conspiracy theories to reality.

Apple has stated quite clearly their reasons for not including Flash. It sucks batteries, performs slowly, and creates a security risk. The fact that there is no full-featured Flash version on other mobile devices (only a dumbed-down Flash which isn't much better than no Flash at all) confirms that.

What evidence do you have that Apple is lying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Not for users whos software requires a desktop OS. The iPad requires another device to function a netbook does not. If you have an iPad and no other computer system you are out of luck, that isn't the case with a netbook.

That's not true. For many people, there's no need for a separate computer to use an iPad. You can do email, web browsing, create and view documents, print, move pictures from your camera, edit photos, etc. For lots of people, that's plenty of functionality without having a computer.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #88 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

In general, they are 10 inch devices instead of 13. Generally, they use Intel Atom processors and run either Linux, Win XP or Win7. Generally, they come with one gig of RAM and are upgradeable to 2 gigs.

Google up Dell Mini 10 to see one example of a good quality netbook.

Thanks but why would that be better than a MacBook 13" that runs flawlessly, no need for Kaspersky et al and all the associated problems? Is it simply price? Two inches hardly matters (no jokes please). If it is price you can get great MacBooks second hand that still run Leopard and some Snow Leopard. Heck I still have a base model iBook G4 12" that runs Leopard fine.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #89 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Yes, and "for many people" a cellphone can replace a netbook. Your point is true, but trivial.

Except that, once again, a cellphone is a tool inappropriate to the set of tasks for which an iPad is ideal. Sort of like using a screwdriver handle to drive nails.
post #90 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Modern netbooks have large keyboards. For example, the Dell Mini 10 has a keyboard which is 93% of the size of a "regular" keyboard, and others have keyboards which are even bigger.

We Know. They're called "LAPTOPS"
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #91 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For those against the product, 24 percent were said to be "not thrilled" with the iPad

"Not thrilled" is a negative? Wouldn't it be counted as neither a positive or a negative?
Quote:
while 2 percent "hate" Apple's new device.

Likely those two percent have never tried or even seen iPad.
They hate anything to do with Apple and would complain if Steve Jobs handed them a $20 bill.
post #92 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Where do you get your facts? How large is this majority you speak of? Or did you just make up the statistic out of thin air and your preexisting biases?

there was no statistic, just an alt view and a valid one.

For some, including perhaps even a few folks around here, a netbook is NOT their only computer or even their primary one. And it's not a shrunken laptop with a 'netbook' label slapped in it that can supposedly do all. It's a device for email, web browsing etc. during breaks at work, while on vacation etc. Heck my own roommate has a low end laptop given to him by work for when he does business trips, strictly for accessing his work email. He mentioned to me last night that the boss is already talking about switching them to ipads

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #93 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Where do you get your facts? How large is this majority you speak of? Or did you just make up the statistic out of thin air and your preexisting biases?

I could ask you the same, your own pre-existing biases led you to reply to me did they not? If you must know, I read (a long time ago now) that most netbook users purchase them as secondary computers and use them mostly for browsing the web. I can't provide a link to an article I read more than six months ago, but I haven't seen anything since then that would suggest otherwise. If you do have information, please share. From experience as well, the typical computer users needs really aren't that great and my conclusion seems rational if you can step out of the tech world for a second.

Edit: You've already argued that a iPhone can replace a netbook for many people. You can't argue both sides of the fence just to discredit the iPad.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #94 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, not to worry. Here's the definition of 'fanboy':

fanboy /fænˌbɔɪ/

- noun

1. A derogatory term used to describe those with whom one disagrees on a given subject.

2. A person who has a better argument than one on a particular topic. Typically, the usage is in response to points made to which one does not have a cogent response.

Fanboys fanboys watcha gonna do... watcha gonna do when they come for you...
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #95 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcc View Post

At this particular point in time I believe most people will be better served with a smartphone and a laptop.

At this particular point in time, most people will be better served with a desktop, iPad and smartphone, and at the same or lower cost.
post #96 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

We Know. They're called "LAPTOPS"

An interesting point: What defines a netbook? Is it a display size smaller than x inches, less than a standard sized keyboard, running an Atom CPU or something else altogether.


Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

there was no statistic, just an alt view and a valid one.

For some, including perhaps even a few folks around here, a netbook is NOT their only computer or even their primary one. [...] It's a device for email, web browsing etc. during breaks at work, while on vacation etc.

I'd wager that is the how most of them were intended to be used. They really haven't been good for much else. Once they get past the Intel graphics and Flash 10.1 comes out they may be more useful for people.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #97 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It is true because you need another system to use an iPad. Its not a standalone device. Like the iPods, Touch and iPhone the iPad needs to work with iTunes. The first thing you need to do with any of these devices when you turn them on for the first time is connect them with iTunes.

You can do that at an Apple store. You certainly can use an iPad as a standalone device.
post #98 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple has stated quite clearly their reasons for not including Flash. It sucks batteries, performs slowly, and creates a security risk.

you forgot the most important reason of all. Flash is a mouse based tech. It doesn't work well with multitouch.

Quote:
That's not true. For many people, there's no need for a separate computer to use an iPad.

NO ONE needs a computer to USE an ipad. it's not a Wacom or a display. And you can even have it 'turned on' at the store when you buy it. At least at the Apple stores.

That's not the issue. It's what do you do when you need you ipad replaced because it's defective. Or you drop it, or it is lost/stolen. All the movies, music etc on it are gone. Apple is very clear in the terms that you don't get unlimited downloads on those. I haven't been in the books store but I wouldn't be shocked if the paid books are the same. You can't plug a drive to the ipad to back it up, you have to have a computer (something I hope they change in future versions)

And before anyone says "well they can back it up before they replace it". No. Apple will not do anything with your data. Has to do with customer privacy protection. They will not do anything that puts your information on their computers. Nor will they let you do it yourself.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #99 of 186
What a useless device, can't make phone calls and doesn't fit in my pocket. what was apple thinking? they should make something that is small enough to fit in your pocket and makes phone calls....oh wait...

this story is bizarre. This is clearly not advertised as a phone or an iPhone replacement. I don't get it.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #100 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Where do you get your facts? How large is this majority you speak of? Or did you just make up the statistic out of thin air and your preexisting biases?

The iPad can be a netbook replacement the same way a netbook can be a laptop replacement for some people. The problem is that term "netbooks" has different definition depending on who you ask. For example:

Quote:
HP says Netbooks are smaller than 12 inches and intended as companion devices designed for "content consumption, while the traditional notebook PC is also designed for content creation as well as consumption."

Quote:
Acer says Netbooks "typically" have Atom processors, weigh less than 3 pounds, have screens between 10 and 11.6 inches, and are in the $299 range.

One is defining a netbook based on physical dimension and the other based on size and usage. Each is choosing the definition that fits their own marketing. Based on HP definition, the iPad is a companion device designed for content consumption and therefore can be a replacement for the netbook. However, as the article said netbook and notebooks is becoming more and more alike.
post #101 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Really so what does someone do that doesn't have an Apple store within 3000 miles? That has to be one of your dumbest statements so far and thats saying alot.

The iPad is NOT a standalone device.

I can restore a standalone device without hooking it up to another device. Can you do that with an iPad?

How do you plan to backup your iPad?


Calling the iPad a standalone device would be the same as calling the Touch or iPhone a standalone device and clearly they are not.

Yet, people use iPhones as standalone devices, and they will use iPads as standalone devices, too. Is it ideal, no. Is it possible, yes.

You are quite simply wrong in saying that it can't be used as such.
post #102 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

They hate anything to do with Apple and would complain if Steve Jobs handed them a $20 bill.

What a cheap bastard! He could have handed me a benjamin...but noooo...all I got was this style over function uber thin twenty.
post #103 of 186
I can't comment on the Dell units but I can categorically say that the Asus unit I have is a stinking pile of sh*t - the device is basically unusable other than for browsing the web or simple emails - if I happen to browse to a web page with flash you can literally see the damn thing crawl to a halt and the battery drain.

I know lot's of friends who fell for the net-book spin and now really regret it - it's akin to all the people who buy cheap laptops from Toshiba or Fujitsu et al - they are under specced and over sold.
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
post #104 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

So you agreed to something, i.e., using a netbook to take notes at university and dissed the iPad for the same purpose. Yet you own, or tried neither.

Could you let us know how you know that.

Who says I haven't tried netbooks? I'm just not using one in class right now (handwritten notes FTW )
I haven't used the iPad because I'm European. Sorry about that, I guess. However, it doesn't take a genius or even practical testing to come to the conclusion that a good (!) hardware keyboard will be superior to even a very good virtual keyboard in situations where very fast and accurate typing is required. My God, I'm dissing the iPad because I'm pointing out that there is one particular task for which netbooks might still be better suited? Please, Mr. Apple-zealot, forgive my iBlasphemy.
post #105 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its far less then ideal and its a safe bet that next to no one uses these devices as standalone. I thought buying an Apple product was to make your life easier yet to try and prove your false point you want to go around the world to make life harder.

Someone is going to spend money on music, software, Apps, ebooks and not back them up? Are you serious?

Here lets end this one and for all.

Directly from Apple.

iPad system requirements

Mac system requirements
Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
iTunes 9.1 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)
iTunes Store account
Internet access


PC with USB 2.0 port Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
iTunes 9.1 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)
iTunes Store account
Internet access


Clearly Apple "you know the iPad vendor" does not see the iPad as a standalone device.

Type all you want, but you're still wrong to say it can't be used as such.
post #106 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Here this should be good enough. Like all technology take note of the term 'rapidly evolving".

Sort of like your arguments.
post #107 of 186
Sheesh, what a bunch of maroons. (i) If making a call was so darn important, why the heck couldn't/didn't they wait for the 3G version? (They can still return the wifi only). (ii) If Flash was so darn important, why the heck did they buy an iPad in the first place!? Did they they think that somehow, it would magically be Flash-enabled upon purchase?

Twits.
post #108 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Come on fanboy live up to your definition. Instead of changing the subject tell me why Apple lists other hardware as a requirement for the iPad if its a standalone device. If you can't then simply go away.

You claimed it can't be used as a standalone device. You are clearly wrong. There's no possibility of arguing your way out of that.
post #109 of 186
It's unrealistic, but if you carry any kind of briefcase, backpack, purse (man or otherwise) or whatever, and use a BT headset, it could work pretty well as a phone. Some headsets work pretty well with iPhones, I could walk two rooms away and still have a conversation or listen to music as clearly as standing next to it. The problem is that I couldn't find one without a major drawback, one didn't want to charge consistently, another didn't fit well, one worked great as a phone headset but poorly on A2DP, one did great on A2DP but poorly as a headset, etc.
post #110 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It is true because you need another system to use an iPad. Its not a standalone device. Like the iPods, Touch and iPhone the iPad needs to work with iTunes. The first thing you need to do with any of these devices when you turn them on for the first time is connect them with iTunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its far less then ideal and its a safe bet that next to no one uses these devices as standalone. I thought buying an Apple product was to make your life easier yet to try and prove your false point you want to go around the world to make life harder. .


You really would be far better off if you learned something about the iPad before commenting on it.

Lots of people use their iPhones without syncing it with a computer; the iPad will work the same way. I don't know the percentage, but it's clearly quite possible. In fact, when you read about some of the stories of people who purchased an iPad as their first (and only) computer, it's very real.

You can do a great deal with the iPad without every syncing it with a computer:
- Internet acces
- eMail
- Transfer photos from a digital camera
- Edit photos
- Create and share documents (word processing, spreadsheet, presentations)
- Purchase and listen to music via the iTunes store
- Purchase and watch TV shows and movies
- Purchase and read e-books

There is absolutely no reason why that wouldn't meet the needs of a lot of people. Just as important, it clearly disproves your continued assertions that a separate computer is necessary.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #111 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You claimed it can't be used as a standalone device. You are clearly wrong. There's no possibility of arguing your way out of that.

If he had just stated that you need to plug it into a PC the first time you start it up or that Apple has designed it as an accessory device to people's PCs the way netbooks are typically utilized, though not required to be utilized, it would have made sense. Instead he's just spinning hyperbole and BS and picking fights with the decent posters here just to later claim he was picked on when he gets his ass schooled. I suggest just add him to your ignore list. It seems the only way to deal with these asshats is to ignore them, as inelegant as a solution as it is.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #112 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

If he said it can't be used as a hammer, his statement would be equally wrong.

And your quibbles would be equally trivial.

Not equal at all.

It is implausible that one would use an iPad as a hammer. It is quite plausible that one would buy an iPad as their sole computer and not sync it with another computer. Read some of the early reviews - quite a few people talked about buying an iPad as their first (and only) computer.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #113 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

If he said it can't be used as a hammer, his statement would be equally wrong.

And your quibbles would be equally trivial.

It's nice to see the trolls back each other up, bonding and all that. Very sweet of you.

However, since using it as a hammer would, for example, damage it and using it as a standalone device would not, your assertion that he'd be equally wrong is mistaken.
post #114 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And a netbook.

ummmm no. The iPad does NOT replace a netbook.

One of the reasons why it's not for me.
post #115 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

What sort of a silly Troll is this?

Yes, laptops have full sized keyboards. And better netbooks have good keyboards.

Am I missing your point? Do you have a point? Or are you just Trolling?

Troll? Hell no... fanboy, maybe.

Seriously, You said something like "NetBooks with keyboards 93% normal size and even bigger", And my reply is "What is the point of a NetBook if it's not that smaller? What makes it so different from a Laptop?"

The answer is, IMHO, is that a keyboard too big is not portable and a keyboard too small is no good to use. Then, One Day, someone decided to innovate and do away with the keyboard altogether, or at least have it occasionally share space with the screen.

That is my point. And that's the point of many people NOT getting a netbook and getting either a Laptop OR an iPad, each having its pros and not being something "just in between".

In any case I think you overreacted to a simple joke. Go get your netBook and be happy.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #116 of 186
For all you iPad haters, you'll enjoy this:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Blendtec.../0/lAl28d6tbko
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #117 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

What sort of a silly Troll is this?

[...]

Am I missing your point? Do you have a point? Or are you just Trolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

I suggest that the conversation be limited to the topic at hand, rather than being an insult-fest directed towards people you disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Troll? Hell no... fanboy, maybe.

Well, that's because he's trolling, but he'd prefer we not point it out.
post #118 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Fair enough. I was just pointing out that netbooks have their uses, and just because his Steveness badmouths them and some people fallaciously consider them a desktop replacement doesn't mean they're pointless devices. The iPad will no doubt be a big success (if it isn't already), but netbooks will stick around and get better and that's great. I could even imagine getting an iPad AND a decent netbook - to me, they're simply different devices that could complement each other very well.

Last year I bought a netbook because I was going on vacation and needed a cheap way of storing a lot of video data. It was cheaper to buy the netbook than more SDHC cards. I have a hybrid camera that uses a format that takes up more memory than your typical flash camcorder.

An iPad would not get it done for the specific task I had in mind and I would buy the netbook again without hesitation. But now that I am using the netbook to surf the net, etc. I do believe that an iPad makes a lot more sense.

In other words, in the next while, I will have an iPad AND a netbook (well OK, not a decent one) and for the reason that you point out. To me, the best decision that Apple made is to keep the entry-point price of the iPad very reasonable. At $500 (probably $539 here in Canada) the base iPad is a very affordable device that makes sense as a compliment to other computing devices and mobile products. For a tech lover not too hard up for cash, it's too appealing a toy to pass up. If the iPad had gone a lot higher in price, it would have been difficult to justify buying it just for the novelty alone. It would have failed just as all the other tablets had.
post #119 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It would actually be nice to be able to make phonecalls on it.

I have this vision of holding up my iPad to my ear...Not

Those complaining SHOULD have waited for the 3G model. Sheeze, it amazes me the levels of idiotic complaints that people have.

Now...I'm angry that Apple didn't put a phone in my MacBook Pro.
post #120 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Type all you want, but you're still wrong to say it can't be used as such.

The fact that you have to use a (full) computer at times, it is not a stand-alone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone