or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple set to reveal multitasking, iAd with iPhone OS 4.0 - report

Apple set to reveal multitasking, iAd with iPhone OS 4.0 - report

post #1 of 128
Apple's unveiling of iPhone OS 4.0, set for Thursday, will likely include full multitasking support, the new "iAd" mobile advertising service, and gaming related announcements, one analyst said Tuesday.

Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors in which he said checks with his sources indicate that iPhone OS 4.0 will be a full multi-tasking environment where third-party applications will be able to run simultaneously and in the background along with Apple's own built-in applications.

Those claims support what AppleInsider reported in March: that Apple plans to add full multitasking support in the forthcoming release of the 4.0 software update. Sources said that the company has developed a "full-on solution" to allow multitasking of third-party applications on the App Store.

Wu said while multitasking will be important for the iPhone and iPod touch, he believes the announcement will be an even bigger deal for the just-released iPad.

"We believe this will be particularly important for the iPad, due to its much faster processor and much larger screen where users will more likely want the capability to run multiple applications much like most do with their PCs and Macs," he wrote. "We believe this will allow AAPL to deliver a fuller and more differentiated experience on the iPad helping drive greater adoption."

Wu also mentioned Apple's forthcoming mobile advertising API, which is rumored to be dubbed iAd. The analyst said the financial impact of this service for Apple will be "minor to negligible," but the service will allow the company to further enhance its position with the developer community.

The advertising service will stem from Apple's purchase of mobile advertising firm Quattro Wireless for $275 million in January.

In addition, Wu said he's heard word that better games for the iPhone OS platform are coming, and Apple could make an announcement related to that on Thursday as well.

"While we don't have fuller details, we are picking up indication that there will likely be gaming related announcements where AAPL will make it easier to develop more powerful and sophisticated games," he wrote. "We believe this makes sense for the iPad in particular with its much more powerful capabilities."

On Monday, Apple sent out invitations for its iPhone OS 4.0 preview event, scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific time on Thursday. The company has said it will give a "sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone software" at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus.
post #2 of 128
Really looking forward to see what they have up thier sleeve. Really hoping they introduce multitasking (And do it it the Apple way so its easy and a good User experience)

I just hope 4.0 is not geared towards ads, that would be a huge disapointment. Ads ruin the mobile experience in my opinion, and Apple introduction a framework for it kinda really sucks.
post #3 of 128
I personally hope third party multitasking can be turned off. I don't have any need for it on my iPhone and don't want to suffer from the RAM and CPU usage of background apps if I forget to close them after every use.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #4 of 128
My biggest hope is a robust file system, perhaps tightly integrated with iDisk.
iPadAlone
Wherein I ponder a future with an iPad as my primary computer...
iPadAlone
Wherein I ponder a future with an iPad as my primary computer...
post #5 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors in which he said checks with his sources indicate that iPhone OS 4.0 will be a full multi-tasking environment where third-party applications will be able to run simultaneously and in the background along with Apple's own built-in applications.

Those claims support what AppleInsider reported in March: that Apple plans to add full multitasking support in the forthcoming release of the 4.0 software update. Sources said that the company has developed a "full-on solution" to allow multitasking of third-party applications on the App Store.

I hope so!
post #6 of 128
First the mild disappointment with the name iPad, now the sheer embarassment of "iAd" (if this is indeed the name)... Oofah! There's something wrong in the 'naming department'.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 128
yeah, iAds... that's what I was missing from my phone: adds pO-Op'ing up everywhere...
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #8 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's unveiling of iPhone OS 4.0, set for Thursday, will likely include full multitasking support, the new "iAd" mobile advertising service, and gaming related announcements, one analyst said Tuesday.

In addition, Wu said he's heard word that better games for the iPhone OS platform are coming, and Apple could make an announcement related to that on Thursday as well.

"While we don't have fuller details, we are picking up indication that there will likely be gaming related announcements where AAPL will make it easier to develop more powerful and sophisticated games," he wrote. "We believe this makes sense for the iPad in particular with its much more powerful capabilities."

On Monday, Apple sent out invitations for its iPhone OS 4.0 preview event, scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific time on Thursday. The company has said it will give a "sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone software" at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

This sounds interesting. New game engine or what? I will be very interested on what they pull out here.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #9 of 128
I am hoping for avrcp bluetooth to be able to advance to next/previous tracks
post #10 of 128
Its gonna be more than multitasking and iAd. It is gonna be way cool.

My hope is that developers will use the new model for daemons and services such as support of iChat, etc.

We will almost assuredly start to hear complaints about how short the battery life is in 4.x from the very people that screamed the loudest about 'we must have multi tasking'.
post #11 of 128
This analyst is useless! How many of his previous "predictions" have proven to be correct?!? He seems to take other rumors, claim that he checked with his "sources", and spits them back out in a report that's usually not born out! Laughable!

As for his regurgitated predictions, I sure hope multi-tasking is coming!
post #12 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

First the mild disappointment with the name iPad,.

Oh get over it kid.
post #13 of 128
I will most definitely be following this come. Thursday. I will love to also see this go into effect for the iPad. Will definitely shut up some people! But then again they'll jut find something else to complaint about. As for me no complaints but am welcome to new improvements on the iphone os. Let's keep our fingers crossed for more good things to come.
27" iMac , iPhone 4 ( still have my 3G S for backup), iPad

I have a problem! I'm a apple junkie...
27" iMac , iPhone 4 ( still have my 3G S for backup), iPad

I have a problem! I'm a apple junkie...
post #14 of 128
Paid iAds on the iPad. Just what we needed.

But I'd rather use that than helping Google out through adMob

Yes, I'm a fanboi, so what?
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #15 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh get over it kid.

Kid? I'm over the iPad name, but it would be disingenuous to say I was not disappointed. I expect every aspect of Apple's products to be well thought out, but recent naming decisions have been very sloppy.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 128
In reality, Apple should leave everything to the user. They can design the framework and let us decide whether we want to enable a feature or not. Multitasking, toggle switch. Custom themes, toggle switch and so on and so on.
post #17 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Its gonna be more than multitasking and iAd. It is gonna be way cool.

My hope is that developers will use the new model for daemons and services such as support of iChat, etc.

We will almost assuredly start to hear complaints about how short the battery life is in 4.x from the very people that screamed the loudest about 'we must have multi tasking'.

Knowing Apple I bet they have found a way to minimize battery drain when multi-tasking. Just a guess but this is probably why the delay, they had to develop some new way of doing this. After all on these sized screens we are not talking about the apps being seen at the same time so perhaps they sleep when not in foreground yet awake for required events or perhaps events take place without the app running normally ....
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #18 of 128
Quote:

Kid? I'm over the iPad name, but it would be disingenuous to say I was not disappointed. I expect every aspect of Apple's products to be well thought out, but recent naming decisions have been very sloppy.

Oh admit it... you'd love to get carded again.
post #19 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Paid iAds on the iPad. Just what we needed.

But I'd rather use that than helping Google out through adMob

Yes, I'm a fanboi, so what?

Talking of people's different takes on nomenclature, out of curiosity, do the French still insist on all new French words for such things or are those days over?
post #20 of 128
Quote:

First the mild disappointment with the name iPad, now the sheer embarassment of "iAd" (if this is indeed the name)... Oofah! There's something wrong in the 'naming department'.

Yeah, the names are iMad. Although if we get multitasking, then I'll be iGlad. (These puns are getting a bit iSad... and that was an iBad one...)
post #21 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano72 View Post

I am hoping for avrcp bluetooth to be able to advance to next/previous tracks

Yes please! And make it work better with the Ford SYNC
post #22 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

Yes please! And make it work better with the Ford SYNC

What's the scoop on the Ford Sync as it relates to Apple products. I had crossed getting a new Ford off my list once I saw ads stating it used M$ technology for the entertainment system..
post #23 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What's the scoop on the Ford Sync as it relates to Apple products. I had crossed getting a new Ford off my list once I saw ads stating it used M$ technology for the entertainment system..

It did work really well until the 3.1 update. Now everyone is having minor issues. It is on Apples side. I'm hoping 4.0 fixes these problems....

The phone part works great, its more problems with the ipod, and using Pandora/Slacker. It takes a while to index songs the first time and it also wont read the text messages to you. Other cell phones it will.
post #24 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

yeah, iAds... that's what I was missing from my phone: adds pO-Op'ing up everywhere...

Its big money.

Its 95% of Googles revenue.
post #25 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

My biggest hope is a robust file system, perhaps tightly integrated with iDisk.

Given that the iPhone is UNIX under the hood it already *has* a "robust file system." If you are talking about revealing this robust file system to the user and giving the user tools like an explorer type app or a GUI for navigating said file system it will never happen and it's quite a bad idea actually.

A part of the whole point of the iPhone OS is that it doesn't use abstract metaphors for accessing files. The file system access you seek is one of the main aspects of computing that people find confusing and have problems with. The iPhone OS is at least in part, an attempt to abstract all that file management completely out of the picture. This is a very good thing and one of the main reasons the iPhone is so useful for so many people.

What you will probably see is some kind of documents folder with direct access, much like the documents stack on desktop OS-X. This will load on the desktop as a thumb drive type of thing, whenever the phone is docked with a computer. Most likely drag and drop access will be provided.

People do need access to documents on the phone and they do need an easy way to do that. They *don't* however need a "robust file system" or access to same.
post #26 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

It did work really well until the 3.1 update. Now everyone is having minor issues. It is on Apples side. I'm hoping 4.0 fixes these problems....

The phone part works great, its more problems with the ipod, and using Pandora/Slacker. It takes a while to index songs the first time and it also wont read the text messages to you. Other cell phones it will.

That's great, I had incorrectly assumed Fords were a Zune zone only.
post #27 of 128
Since Apple has a tendency to come up with its own definitions of 'industry standard' terms e.g. 'unlocked' (for the iPad is hardly so), it'll be interesting to see what they consider true 'multi-tasking'.

We'll find out soon enough...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #28 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyconnor View Post

This analyst is useless! How many of his previous "predictions" have proven to be correct?!? He seems to take other rumors, claim that he checked with his "sources", and spits them back out in a report that's usually not born out! Laughable!

Correct, Shaw Wu is useless.

I think he just reads the various Apple rumor sites and then pulls his commentary out of a body orifice. I'll give people here three guesses, but you're only going to need one...

post #29 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh admit it... you'd love to get carded again.

I went to a bar in san diego the other night, the doorman was carding people and I just looked at him and said "really?" and he said well .. maybe if you shaved 'next!'.
post #30 of 128
iAd would only be a service if it blocks ads.

If, as you suggest, it pushes ads I wonder how many people will not upgrade to 4.0 just to avoid the marketing crap?

Hopefully (though I doubt it) you'll be switch off iCrap or whatever the marketing intrusion will be called.
post #31 of 128
I still will place my bet that it won't be true multi-tasking, but the ability to pause a program (saving its state to a portion of the NAND chip) then coming back to its saved state when you want to go back to what you were doing. Personally, I would actually prefer this method as it won't impact your battery.

As for IM / Music and other "Live" apps, I'm sure some API is designed to make it so they can run in a sandboxed, low processor cycling mode so its impact to the battery will be low.

So, iPod Touch owners, have your next ten dollars ready? What I would find horrible is if they decided to charge iPad owners 10 dollars as well for this upgrade. What I would find delightful and morally correct, is if they charged iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad the same amount, be it free (prefered) or other wise.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #32 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

In reality, Apple should leave everything to the user. They can design the framework and let us decide whether we want to enable a feature or not. Multitasking, toggle switch. Custom themes, toggle switch and so on and so on.

Sure. Apple should stop selling completed products - they should sell everything as a kit. You get a sheet of aluminum, a sheet of glass, and 2 pounds of sand. Your job is to convert the sand into integrated circuits and assemble and program the entire device.

For that matter, why don't toasters come that way. After all, some people might want the lever to be lower or higher than the norm. Or maybe they want the rheostat to go in the opposite direction.

Sheesh. What part of 'appliance' don't you get?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #33 of 128
Quote:

Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #34 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm waiting for the MS software to crash the ignition system or something :-) Hopefully no one will be injured.
post #35 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

... So, iPod Touch owners, have your next ten dollars ready? What I would find horrible is if they decided to charge iPad owners 10 dollars as well for this upgrade. What I would find delightful and morally correct, is if they charged iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad the same amount, be it free (prefered) or other wise.

This has already been covered.

Apple says in the user agreement that if you buy an iPad, you get the point upgrades, as well as the next full number OS upgrade for free with the device. Since they have never charged for point upgrades, it seems that you would also get the next round of point upgrades free as well.

This means that if you buy an iPad with an OS that's 3.x, you get 3.y, 3.z, 4.x, 4.y, 4.z etc. all for free. It also seems likely that this will be the model for all their mobile products moving forward.

This seems eminently fair to me. If you keep an "iDevice" for longer than a couple of years, you *may* have to pay 10 bucks for an upgrade on the second go around.
post #36 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Given that the iPhone is UNIX under the hood it already *has* a "robust file system." If you are talking about revealing this robust file system to the user and giving the user tools like an explorer type app or a GUI for navigating said file system it will never happen and it's quite a bad idea actually.

A part of the whole point of the iPhone OS is that it doesn't use abstract metaphors for accessing files. The file system access you seek is one of the main aspects of computing that people find confusing and have problems with. The iPhone OS is at least in part, an attempt to abstract all that file management completely out of the picture. This is a very good thing and one of the main reasons the iPhone is so useful for so many people.

What you will probably see is some kind of documents folder with direct access, much like the documents stack on desktop OS-X. This will load on the desktop as a thumb drive type of thing, whenever the phone is docked with a computer. Most likely drag and drop access will be provided.

People do need access to documents on the phone and they do need an easy way to do that. They *don't* however need a "robust file system" or access to same.

Ya' mean I won't be able to create symlinks and set permissions during a phone call, while surfing the web listening to pandora and receiving Push Notifications to sell stock...

..and what could be more natural than doing a few grep file searches to idle away time...

...well then, I guess it just will not meet min requirements for a modern mobile OS

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #37 of 128
SimCity 2000/3000/4000 on the iPad would rule!

SimTower.... any Maxis Game

And Monkey Island HD with better touch controls - not steering a crosshair but direct clicks. And more LucasArts games
TrendGiveAfuck - A Style Guide to your Beautiful Life
TrendGiveAfuck - A Style Guide to your Beautiful Life
post #38 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Um . . . SEARCH?
I think that is the point for many people.
Especially since its pretty much ready to go and just needs to be enabled and optimized a bit.
post #39 of 128
Forget about Flash, I want Java!
post #40 of 128
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Apple needs to become a little more sophisticated on that front.

Btw, congratulations, AI, on two significant rumor calls: iPad and multitasking! Kudos.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple set to reveal multitasking, iAd with iPhone OS 4.0 - report