or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad not working for my business needs - File system is FUBAR

iPad not working for my business needs - File system is FUBAR

post #1 of 35
Posted this in a different thread but figured I'd post here because that thread was dead a few days:

iWorks does not work for me. I don't see how it would work for anyone that has a large office with several people working together.

I'm an attorney. I have thousands of documents that me and several other attorneys, law clerks and secretaries access.

I want to take ALL my files with me to court or home, so I always have them. So I would like to "dump" them into the iPad periodically.

Yea right! You have to go through each app and manually place the files into the app. Word Documents into Pages, Excel Documents into Numbers, etc.

Nevermind that this is a pain in the ass, but how do I update this? Manually do it every day? Once a week? Start all over again?

Because that's what "it displays the documents it knows about" means. It means you have to "assign" or place documents into the right app manually.

And I don't know how this tagging works so I can see all the documents from one client (or project) at one time, but that sounds like a pain in the ass to do going forward, nevermind going backwards to get everything working.

This isn't a step forward, it's completely ignoring how businesses operate. I can only speak from the legal perspective, but fail Apple. So fail.
post #2 of 35
Law school requirements must be really dropping. Your grammar and spelling is not even university level. Good luck getting other lawyers and businesses to take you seriously.

As far as the iPad goes, your best solution would be a VNC client, where you can access your desktop directly from the iPad. If you absolutely need offline access, you're right, a laptop would be better for you.
post #3 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Law school requirements must be really dropping. Your grammar and spelling is not even university level. Good luck getting other lawyers and businesses to take you seriously.

Lol how sad is your life?

Quote:
As far as the iPad goes, your best solution would be a VNC client, where you can access your desktop directly from the iPad. If you absolutely need offline access, you're right, a laptop would be better for you.

Access to a desktop has to be the worst workaround solution I can think of. iFail
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncsx3 View Post

Lol how sad is your life?

Access to a desktop has to be the worst workaround solution I can think of. iFail

Fortunatly I read this before seeing your post. http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...h_an_ipad_ugh/ It is no solution, but it helps explain the problem. And I agree, the file system is FUBAR.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
post #5 of 35
Quote:

I want to take ALL my files with me to court or home, so I always have them. So I would like to "dump" them into the iPad periodically.

https://www.dropbox.com
https://www.sugarsync.com
post #6 of 35
Quote:

Posted this in a different thread but figured I'd post here because that thread was dead a few days:

iWorks does not work for me. I don't see how it would work for anyone that has a large office with several people working together.

I'm an attorney. I have thousands of documents that me and several other attorneys, law clerks and secretaries access.

Yea right! You have to go through each app and manually place the files into the app. Word Documents into Pages, Excel Documents into Numbers, etc.

Nevermind that this is a pain in the ass, but how do I update this? Manually do it every day? Once a week? Start all over again?

Because that's what "it displays the documents it knows about" means. It means you have to "assign" or place documents into the right app manually.

And I don't know how this tagging works so I can see all the documents from one client (or project) at one time, but that sounds like a pain in the ass to do going forward, nevermind going backwards to get everything working.

This isn't a step forward, it's completely ignoring how businesses operate. I can only speak from the legal perspective, but fail Apple. So fail.

First of All I'd be wary of going to an Attorney that uses the word "ME" instead of "I" and the idiom "Fail" you sonund like a internet Idiot and not an Attorney. But assuming you are, why would you even consider an Ipad for what you are trying to do. Get a Laptop, something an Ipad Never claims it is a replacement for.
post #7 of 35
Without weighing in on whether this guy sounds like a real attorney or not (no opinion), I think the "file system" complaint is somewhat valid. Apple needs to give us a workable portable document system with the iPad. I don't care whether it's a conventional file system, or something else, but the iPad would become more useful immediately if it had a better method of transferring and organizing files. FWIW, I don't think iWork is going to be the best way to accomplish this -- PDF would.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #8 of 35
get one of these and access it in your pocket. You can even set up specific SD cards for each need / client, etc. Much better than trying to send them to the iPad. Just use the web interfaces and browse for what you need:

http://www.airstash.com/
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

get one of these and access it in your pocket. You can even set up specific SD cards for each need / client, etc. Much better than trying to send them to the iPad. Just use the web interfaces and browse for what you need:

Interesting product. Have you used it?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #10 of 35
All these complaints about what the iPad doesn't do.

Yet it works like dream if you are the target audience. it does what it was designed to do.

It wasn't designed to be a laptop replacement for attorneys. Apple makes a nice product called a "MacBook" for those people. If they built in all the capabilities people are lamenting about, it would morph into a... well, a full sized laptop.

If your needs don't allow this device to work for you, then get a device that will work. What's the point of trying to convince people that it's a "Fail"rue simply because it doesn't meet you specific desires??? (When it is so obviously not a failure.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #11 of 35
Quote:

Posted this in a different thread but figured I'd post here ....

It's not nice to double-post.
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

First of All I'd be wary of going to an Attorney that uses the word "ME" instead of "I" and the idiom "Fail" you sonund like a internet Idiot and not an Attorney.

Not only that, he gets product names wrong. How can an attorney pay so little attention to detail that he doesn't know the properly spelled name of products he claims to use?
post #13 of 35
Hi tonton.

I think you're being a bit tough on our lawyer friend here. The iwork file system is ridiculously inept. Yes the poster phrased the complaint in the way that for some reason apple complainers often do, as if apple stole their candy and ran over their dog. But I would be really shocked if we don't hear about improvements to the file system tomorrow. It s a major weakness in the OS.
post #14 of 35
I agree some improvements would help, but inept is hardly the word I'd use. Simplistic, I'd say. Too much so? Perhaps.

Clearly the objective was to keep the method of organizing files application-centeric. I'd perfer to see Apple continue to develop this line of thinking instead of abandoning it in favor of the file-folder metaphor, which a lot of people would like.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

That seems pretty cool. I don't know how it would work with the iPad. Would I be able to save files once I edited them (iWork has some pretty limited options I've noticed)? Would I be able to open in iWork documents or have to go to something else?
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

First of All I'd be wary of going to an Attorney that uses the word "ME" instead of "I" and the idiom "Fail" you sonund like a internet Idiot and not an Attorney. But assuming you are, why would you even consider an Ipad for what you are trying to do. Get a Laptop, something an Ipad Never claims it is a replacement for.

I want something I can bring with me to meetings (lunch, conference room) that doesn't involve any setting up or seem awkward.

Also would like to bring it to court and use as like as a prompt for openings, directs and crosses, etc.

I just like the idea of it. I'm hoping that I can find an easy solution but expect I'll be purchasing a bunch of HP Slates.
post #17 of 35
Quote:

I want something I can bring with me to meetings (lunch, conference room) that doesn't involve any setting up or seem awkward.

Also would like to bring it to court and use as like as a prompt for openings, directs and crosses, etc.

I just like the idea of it. I'm hoping that I can find an easy solution but expect I'll be purchasing a bunch of HP Slates.

Mentioned in several threads already, try GoodReader. It will allow you to load up your iPad with PDF files.

Cost: $0.99.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #18 of 35
Quote:

I want something that I can carry with me to meetings (lunch, conference room), doesn't need setting up, and is not awkward.

Also would like to carry it to court and use as a prompt for openings, directs and crosses, etc.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Mentioned in several threads already, try GoodReader. It will allow you to load up your iPad with PDF files.

Cost: $0.99.

No go. I can't have my PDFs in one place, my word documents in another and a 3rd separate place for excel documents. Need one folder for each client (and preferably sub-folders inside that folder to help me organize cases that involve 25+ documents).

Also I have to have staff update this thing so anything that involves dragging documents in one at a time, or one folder at a time, its way too time consuming and expensive to me.
post #20 of 35
GoodReader supports the creation of folders. I'm not sure why you'd want to carry around editable Word documents (I'd create PDFs), but GoodReader supports them too.

Rather than assume that it won't work, you might want to spend the $0.99 to find out for yourself.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I want something that I can carry with me to meetings (lunch, conference room), doesn't need setting up, and is not awkward.

Also would like to carry it to court and use as a prompt for openings, directs and crosses, etc.

You're a weird little man. Also most (all?) of your grammar corrections have nothing to do with rules of grammar but rather how you think things should be written. You can bring the iPad to court just like you could bring your lunch to school. I want something that doesn't seem awkward (whether it is awkward or not) so I don't look like a fool at lunch. Not sure why you think the word involve needs to be replaced by need, but I guess that makes it clearer in your opinion?

Like I said, strange little message board troll. Thanks for the suggestions though, I'm sure I'll incorporate them into all my future posts. This will of course be the last time I respond to anything you write as foolish as this. Feel free to respond to the point of my posts though.
post #22 of 35
Quote:

GoodReader supports the creation of folders. I'm not sure why you'd want to carry around editable Word documents (I'd create PDFs), but GoodReader supports them too.

Rather than assume that it won't work, you might want to spend the $0.99 to find out for yourself.

Not opposed to spending a buck to try it out, just have already spent a bunch on other Apps without much success. More concerned with the time and learning curves really.

So I can import a bunch of folders and just drag them in or do I have to create folders and drag documents into that folder? If it's not the former that sounds unfortunately like too much work to keep my iPad updated all the time.

Appreciate you responding though. As for why I would want to have editable Word documents on-the-fly I can think of 50 reasons. One example is I have pre-prepared Orders ready for Judge signatures that read like I hope the Judge will Order at that hearing. However, if something changes the ability to quickly alter that Order and then print it out there (another concern I have of course is printing using the iPad) would be wonderful. I know I can do this with a laptop but I really do like the idea of having a slate for everything.
post #23 of 35
As nearly as I can tell, you will need to create all of your folders within GoodReader, which for a large number of files, might be too cumbersome. Difficult to say; everyone's demands will be different. In any event it seems the real show stoppers in your case is no Word for the iPad, and (for the time being at least), no printing. For myself, I plan on taking my iPad into meetings and public hearings loaded up with my reference documents as PDFs. The numbers are not so great in my case, but sometimes they can be quite lengthy. I am looking forward to not having to haul 200 page documents around in my briefcase.

Suffice to say, every new technology requires a period of adjustment and comes with a learning curve. And in the end, a determination of what suits your needs.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #24 of 35
Quote:

As nearly as I can tell, you will need to create all of your folders within GoodReader, which for a large number of files, might be too cumbersome. Difficult to say; everyone's demands will be different. In any event it seems the real show stoppers in your case is no Word for the iPad, and (for the time being at least), no printing. For myself, I plan on taking my iPad into meetings and public hearings loaded up with my reference documents as PDFs. The numbers are not so great in my case, but sometimes they can be quite lengthy. I am looking forward to not having to haul 200 page documents around in my briefcase.

Suffice to say, every new technology requires a period of adjustment and comes with a learning curve. And in the end, a determination of what suits your needs.

Yea makes sense.

I tried an APP called iPDF and it was horrible. Loaded a PDF with it and it took forever to open and to change to the next page when the PDF was > 3 pages. Have you had similar issues or was that just a crappy app?
post #25 of 35
Quote:

Yea makes sense.

I tried an APP called iPDF and it was horrible. Loaded a PDF with it and it took forever to open and to change to the next page when the PDF was > 3 pages. Have you had similar issues or was that just a crappy app?

Probably. I haven't tried anything else, but GoodReader seems fast enough. Not wild about the UI, though, which is cluttered. Apple could do this so much better.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #26 of 35
FYI: I just tried out the Wifi file transfer capability of GoodReader. Again, not pretty -- but importantly it does allow the transfer of entire folders of documents at one time, which are preserved within the folders inside of GoodReader. Apparently any PC or Mac on the same LAN with the iPad can transfer the files to the iPad in this way.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #27 of 35
Quote:

You're a weird little man. ...

This weird little man notices that you make a fundamental English mistake in confusing bring with carry. Your English skills are poor, but this one is a killer. It is typical of people whose language is heavily influenced by French culture. If this is your heritage, then there are people who will excuse you. However, most English speakers are unaware of this. My suggestion to you is to take some classes to address your language deficiencies.
post #28 of 35
My suggestion is you drop it already.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #29 of 35
Broncsx3

Why ruin a simple product that is MEANT to be simple by adding all these complex features to it, when what YOU really seem to need is a MacBook, not an iPad?
post #30 of 35
I don't think an all-purpose document reader with the ability to transfer document in quantity ruins the simplicity of the iPad. I'm puzzled by why Apple left this feature out, leaving it to be filled with a not-so-elegant third party solution.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #31 of 35
Quote:

I don't think an all-purpose document reader with the ability to transfer document in quantity ruins the simplicity of the iPad. I'm puzzled by why Apple left this feature out, leaving it to be filled with a not-so-elegant third party solution.

Once again, Steve failed to consult me on this....
But MAYBE that's exactly why they left it out.... Because there are already some very good third party solutions.
post #32 of 35
Could be, but I don't think Apple would be shy about providing their own solution, especially in this case, where the third-party solutions are decidedly lacking in elegance.

Steve also failed to consult me. The nerve!
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I couldn't resist the humor. But anyhow, just thought I'd share:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/12/99-grammar/
post #34 of 35
one word. Jailbreak. It serves a lot of needs/wants the device WAS NOT INTENDED FOR.

Jailbreak at your own risk.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
post #35 of 35
Goodreader works great for only .99 cents It's a bargan!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad not working for my business needs - File system is FUBAR