or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO has told Apple he wants to offer the iPhone

Verizon CEO has told Apple he wants to offer the iPhone

post #1 of 83
The chief executive of Verizon said Tuesday he has told Apple his company would like to carry the iPhone, and he even cited a recent report that said Apple is working on a CDMA-capable iPhone.

But Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg did not say whether or not the iPhone is coming to Verizon, or even whether he knows the answer. Seidenberg's comments came before the Council on Foreign Relations, according to The Associated Press.

The executive of Verizon, the largest wireless provider in the U.S., reportedly cited a story printed in late March in The Wall Street Journal that Apple is working on two new iPhones, including one CDMA-capable version that could run on the Verizon network in the U.S. That report alleged that a CDMA iPhone could go into mass production in September, potentially arriving on the Verizon network. However, the CEO declined to confirm the report or give any additional details.

Seidenberg's citation of the Journal seems to suggest that even he does not know whether the iPhone will be made available on his company's network this year. Speculation of a Verizon iPhone has persisted for some time, as AT&T's exclusive contract with Apple is rumored to expire this year.

Talk of a Verizon iPhone cooled in January, after Apple executives made a clear effort to demonstrate they are happy with their partnership with AT&T. The company also aimed to downplay speculation that the iPhone would become available on multiple carriers in the U.S. Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said multi-carrier strategies are not the best option for every country.

Seidenberg's comments come as Apple is prepared to preview its forthcoming iPhone OS 4.0 mobile operating system at a special event scheduled for Thursday. New phones will not likely be introduced until this summer, when the operating system upgrade is formally released to the public.
post #2 of 83
The iPhone on Verizon will actually be good for Apple and AT&T. Users will be frustrated when they can't surf the web or use web dependant apps while on the phone.
post #3 of 83
Make him beg.
post #4 of 83
If the CEO of Verizon quoted a rumor from the WSJ that Apple is building a CDMA phone for them, then it's unlikely that the rumor is true.
post #5 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Make him beg.

I think this is what Steve was waiting for... kinda a semi public mea culpa from Verizon's Head Honcho for Steve's satisfaction. Verizon will soon be included in the mix.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #6 of 83
Apple to Verizon: "Bite me!"
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #7 of 83
Yeah. Good luck with that, seeing how you love to support third-party features on your "open" network.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #8 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Make him beg.

In the meantime more people will buy an Android phone. Apple should stop with the delays and go multicarrier as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

The iPhone on Verizon will actually be good for Apple and AT&T. Users will be frustrated when they can't surf the web or use web dependant apps while on the phone.

I can only speak from my experience but in all the time I've owned an iPhone I have never once surfed the web or used a web dependent app whilst speaking on the phone. If the feature wasn't there I wouldn't notice.
post #9 of 83
That stock price run-up a couple of weeks ago was just too juicy for this Seidenberg guy to give up. He's scared now that the market will punish him if it thinks he won't get the iPhone.

He'll negotiate. And fold to Apple's demands.
post #10 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I think this is what Steve was waiting for... kinda a semi public mea culpa from Verizon's Head Honcho for Steve's satisfaction. Verizon will soon be included in the mix.

Given ATT's success with the iPhone, I think Apple would now get everything it wants from Verizon.

Apple would just look at it as the 'cost' of expansion and possibly doubling its sales.

Would the Verizon phone work for the big China provider too? Just asking, don't bite my head off!

Best
post #11 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

In the meantime more people will buy an Android phone. Apple should stop with the delays and go multicarrier as soon as possible.

I can only speak from my experience but in all the time I've owned an iPhone I have never once surfed the web or used a web dependent app whilst speaking on the phone. If the feature wasn't there I wouldn't notice.

I use Cisco Webex App....this allows me to attend a conferance call with visuals and voice at the same time. This has allowed me to increase sales. Verizon could never offer this.
post #12 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

If the CEO of Verizon quoted a rumor from the WSJ that Apple is building a CDMA phone for them, then it's unlikely that the rumor is true.

No - his is a very sensible strategy. Steve hates it when people leak things. By quoting WSJ, Seidenberg neatly avoids leaking anything
post #13 of 83
This story will run and run and run until Verizon has rolled out LTE and an LTE capable iPhone is in the shops.
post #14 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

No - his is a very sensible strategy. Steve hates it when people leak things. By quoting WSJ, Seidenberg neatly avoids leaking anything

This. Ask that publisher guy who outed the iPad.
post #15 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

This story will run and run and run until Verizon has rolled out LTE and an LTE capable iPhone is in the shops.

Agreed....and Verizon (and the rest of the carriers) won't have a big enough LTE footprint until 2012-2014. At least AT&T can fall back on 3G with the current LTE technology. Verizon can't even fall back on CDMA....CDMA is not backward compatable with LTE.
post #16 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I'm sure Steve doesn't hate it when people he has business discussions with talk-up rumors by referring to them.
post #17 of 83
Quote:

Even if Verizon rolls out LTE, the phone would still need to support CDMA for areas without LTE.

Thus we need either 2 separate iPhones: 1 that supports LTE/GSM and one that supports LTE/CDMA

Or 1 phone that supports all three: LTE/CDMA/GSM.

Either way, if they are gonna roll out a Verizon iPhone in Sept., I hope that they announce it in the summer. Not sure I can wait to upgrade my 2.3 year old in Sept. Might just get a Palm Pre or a Droid over the summer.
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
post #18 of 83
Quote:

But you have to keep in mind while data is running it can block calls which go to voicemail. most common on streaming video or GPS maps navigation. i also thought i would never use voice and data at the same time. but once its gone you notice it as MMS get held up, your navigation stops downloading maps, no way to quickly check email, weather or movie times. verizon has such a out dated slow technology they just have a lot of it
post #19 of 83
Why would Apple make a CDMA IPhone?

If someone in the USA wants an IPhone they are willing to switch carriers if Nessessary.

If for some reason they cannot or do not want to, or the area they live in is not in the coverage zone. I would say they are 5 or 10% of the population Max.

Why would Apple spend money developing a CDMA phone for such a small market? The rest of the world uses GSM. It is not worth wasting their time!

It would be cheaper for Apple to give AT&T money to build their network to cover everyone in the USA then charge them for it through Iphone usage!
post #20 of 83
Quote:

You do realize that Verizon will still keep CDMA as the voice standard for the rest of this decade, alongside it as a backup for when LTE is not available for data right?

No iPhone for Verizon until 2020? Yeah ok.

I love these pronouncements from people saying that CDMA is dead, and what's the point of making a CDMA iPhone when LTE is just around the corner, all the while knowing absolutely nothing about this all works. CDMA is not going anywhere for a very very long time. And Apple WILL make a CDMA compatible phone even after the LTE rolleout is complete.
post #21 of 83
VZ is up around 10% this month on these latest iPhone rumors (stock manipulation tactics maybe). I don't think it is due to Droid sales. Their ad campaign alone is probably putting them net negative on that project.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #22 of 83
Is it me or this is getting ridiculous...Why "make him beg"? What is the bad blood between both companies? Is it because Verizon passed on the iPhone? That's it?? Talk about holding a grudge...

I hope Steve Jobs and Apple are smarter and won't let that get in the way of having Verizon, the largest mobile carrier in the US as a partner and gain access to the remaining half of the market.

With the momentum Android has shown recently maybe in the short term, you can lower your margins a little Apple?
post #23 of 83
Quote:

And I use it so much I don't even know how I managed without it. Most notable example is how my wife is always calling me when she is out & about. She'll call me to ask directions, so while on the phone I pull up google maps & tell her exactly where to go. Love it!

I do think though it isn't going to be a deal breaker, instead I think bringing the iPhone to Verizon will really show people how overblown Verizon has been making all these map commercials. Verizon is so full of themselves, they really just don't get how unprepared they are for a flood of iPhone users.

I get so sick of them telling me my service is unreliable & that I can't trust in it when I need to. I came from Verizon and I can tell you my service is actually much better than before. Not only that but now I have an app that allows me to report directly to AT&T when I experience service issues. With Verizon I had to call their support, spend an hour with some guy asking me to check some numbers for them, then have him tell me that everything shows fine from their end. Of course it's fine from your end, it's my end that I'm calling about!!

Oh & don't ever ask a Verizon tech to understand why you'd want wifi on a phone. How many years after everyone else did they finally start adding wifi to their phones?
post #24 of 83
I was kidding, but now that some of you are discussing it in earnest it's beginning to sound more interesting.
post #25 of 83
Quote:

I'm sure Steve doesn't hate it when people he has business discussions with talk-up rumors by referring to them.

I personally believe that Steve does not care for rumors unless it is someone having to give a big "I'm sorry" because they passed up on his phone the first time around.

I think the secrecy culture goes back to handing Bill Gates over a few Mac's for software development and getting burned in the process. Call me crazy, but Steve has learned from that mistake with a huge knee jerk reaction. I can't say it hasn't worked because it has but it is frustrating for those of us who want to know the scoop.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Would the Verizon phone work for the big China provider too? Just asking, don't bite my head off!

Nah, the phone would need a different chip. China Mobile's 3G network is basically China-only CDMA; it is likely they created their own standard so as not to pay the licensing fees. Despite the huge population, China's per capita income makes it a relatively small iPhone market for the moment.

The other major CDMA markets are South Korea and Japan. From what little I know, both of these countries have cellular markets that are very difficult to crack and there is a substantial difference in what their users value in terms of phone functionality (for example, the iPhone in Japan isn't an "Osaifu-keitai", a digital wallet).

So the value of Apple building a CDMA iPhone is questionable in terms of a worldwide expansion standpoint, just because of the idiosyncratic nature of those markets. While they are large CDMA markets, it's not clear that many users would buy an iPhone. From a U.S. sales perspective, it's not a bad idea, but there are costs associated with designing, building, and supporting a different phone. Is it worth it to Apple? Hard to say.

Frankly, the fact that Seidelberg is publicly asking for a CDMA iPhone leads me to believe that Apple is not actively working on one. Plus, there should have been some evidence of Apple hiring a bunch of CDMA engineers. As far as I can tell, they have not.
post #27 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post

I
With the momentum Android has shown recently maybe in the short term, you can lower your margins a little Apple?

There is absolutely no need for Apple to lower its margins in the least. Certainly not for some supposed Android threat.

Looked at the stock lately?
post #28 of 83
Quote:

I tend to agree, but I'd love for them to get it. Usually when Apple gets partners they tend to clam up tight, which would certainly be more telling than this news.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There is absolutely no need for Apple to lower its margins in the least. Certainly not for some supposed Android threat.

And there revenue and profit market share.
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

No. It is because Verizon called the iPhone a "Digitally Clueless Beauty Queen".

Ah yes, the ad for the Motorola Droid...Quite disappointing for a 100$ million campaign. They could have used that money to pay Apple instead and have a better ROI
post #31 of 83
Quote:

Ah yes, the ad for the Motorola Droid...Quite disappointing for a 100$ million campaign. They could have used that money to pay Apple instead and have a better ROI

Everytime I see that DROID commercial talking about how responsive it is I laugh so hard I wet myself. Yup, dead last in touch screen responsiveness is great!
post #32 of 83
Quote:

Yes and I kick myself for selling at 215$ a few months ago.

Regardless, the price of the stock right now is not an indication for the future. In the last quarter, it has been reported that Android's market share nearly tripled to 9% while Apple is flat at around 25% (Rim is still #1 at around 45%).

So yes, Apple needs to slow down Android's momentum. Android is a real threat and if you leave Google and their partners in crime room to grow they will spread like bad weed very much like Microsoft did with Windows a few decades ago.

What really drives programmers to develop for the iPhone is the sheer volume of the customer ba$e. Lose that and you will lose the developers and the battle. My 2 cents
post #33 of 83
Quote:

Speaking of expensive campaigns that flopped, remember the $100M Sprint Samsung Instinct campaign failure?
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have a neighbor that I am friends with that is very high up in Verizon here in Atlanta and he told me last week that without a doubt the iPhone will be coming to Verizon.

I have no clue if its true or not but he 100% it will be at Verizon. So he clear knows something or thinks he knows something.

Does your neighbor refer to himself as "very high up" ? How "high up" is he?
post #35 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Does your neighbor refer to himself as "very high up" ? How "high up" is he?

Perhaps they are just "high"?
post #36 of 83
I agree to an extent. Apple should open up to T-Mobile first. Verizon six months later. Verizon's network will actually be a let down to long time iPhone users.

Quote:

post #37 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I agree to an extent. Apple should open up to T-Mobile first. Verizon six months later. Verizon's network will actually be a let down to long time iPhone users.

T-Mobile USA does seem the obvious fit but after the FCC photos revealed that only 3 bands for 3GSM are in the unlocked iPad I have to wonder if Apple will include the 4th band to make it T-Mo compatible.
post #38 of 83
Quote:

Wow. That sounds exactly like something overheard in Apple's boardroom circa 1987. How did that one work out for you?
post #39 of 83
Quote:

I know you are only speaking for yourself, but I use the web features of my phone while talking a great deal.

My calendar syncs wireless to my work exhcange server - I check that all the time while on the phone.

I have looked up emails, that have had to come from the server while on a call.

I have checked the weather radar for my wife (who does not have an iPhone and was in the field)...

So, yeah, for some of us, this IS a big deal. The finding a resteraunt and placing a reservation? Not so much.

I don't like AT&T, bordering on despite. But my opinions of Verizon are just as low.
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Wow. That sounds exactly like something overheard in Apple's boardroom circa 1987. How did that one work out for you?

1) How do you know?

2) I did not buy Apple in 1987 (although, I wish I did: The price was ~$6; I would have got eight years of dividends too).

3) I hope you know that we are in the 21st century.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO has told Apple he wants to offer the iPhone