or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iPad can stay in bag for airport security screenings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad can stay in bag for airport security screenings

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
The U.S. Transportation Security Administration announced Tuesday that fliers who bring an iPad through security will conveniently be able to leave their device in its carry-on bag, unlike with a traditional laptop.

According to The Associated Press, the government agency said that most who travel will not need to remove the iPad from their bag, because the device is relatively small and doesn't have "bulky" accessories such as external drives. Those accessories can make it difficult for X-ray scanners, who see a cluttered image when a laptop and all of its accessories go through the machine in a bag.

However, the TSA cautioned that fliers may still be asked to remove their iPad if the scanners cannot get a clear image of the device.

Spokesman Greg Soule told the AP that the TSA is in the process of telling its employees how to handle the iPad for screening procedures. With 300,000 sold on the first day alone, and a 10-hour battery life perfect for watching movies or playing games on the go, it's a device they'll likely run into on a somewhat regular basis.

The convenience could be important to business-minded users who travel a lot and need to do light computing on the go. A March survey found that the No. 1 planned use for the iPad from prospective customers was working on the go.

Tuesday's report noted that although laptops, such as Apple's MacBooks, generally have to be removed from bags, some laptop sleeves that lie flat in an airport X-ray machine are considered acceptable. Such "checkpoint friendly" bags can be purchased online, though the TSA does not approve of specific bags.

"But it has encouraged manufacturers to design bags that will allow screeners to obtain clear images and give travelers the best shot of being able to keep computers in their bags," the report said.

At just 0.5 inches thick, 1.5 pounds in weight and with no physical keyboard, the iPad has been pitched by Apple has being thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook. The Wi-Fi-only version of the device is now available with a starting price of $499. The 3G-capable model, which will allow travelers Internet access on the go through AT&T's wireless network in the U.S., is due to arrive later this month.
post #2 of 30
Oh darn, I was hoping to see some bullet holes in the iPad to see how tough it was.

just kidding


macbook_allegedly_shot_by_israeli_security_officer s



The iPad will BLEND!! Shock!
post #3 of 30
Luckily I don't have any security horror stories, but I fly so much now I feel like the dude from Up in the Air when he's got his motions memorized going through security. If I could bypass taking my laptop out, that would be nice. Any little thing helps when you feel rushed because of the long line behind you, or if you're cutting it a bit short to your departure time.
post #4 of 30
If this were a computer then the flyer would need to take it out and be prepared to turn it on. Because it is not a computer, the flyer doesn't have to.
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

If this were a computer then the flyer would need to take it out and be prepared to turn it on. Because it is not a computer, the flyer doesn't have to.

Seriously? Did you even READ the article?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Luckily I don't have any security horror stories, but I fly so much now I feel like the dude from Up in the Air when he's got his motions memorized going through security. If I could bypass taking my laptop out, that would be nice. Any little thing helps when you feel rushed because of the long line behind you, or if you're cutting it a bit short to your departure time.

I know the feeling. I watched that movie while on a flight. I kinda wanted to cry for myself.

I also talked to a TSA security guy the other day, about the iPad.
He explained that it's the batteries that cause problems. They look like a big brick of explosive.
Your iPad will get pulled out (and you'll probably have to go through secondary screening) if there are any wires near it.

So keep your power cord in a separate bag, or remove it from the bag before putting it through.

Edit: He couldn't explain why a wire near the battery was worse than all the electronics attached to it, he just said that wires that look like they might be attached to the "explosives" are what trigger the secondary examination.
post #7 of 30
Odd. I would think TSA screeners would at least like to see the iPad turned on and functioning. I'm going to bet they revise this later.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Odd. I would think TSA screeners would at least like to see the iPad turned on and functioning. I'm going to bet they revise this later.

Why? if they can see a clear image of it, what would be the point? And BTW, no TSA person has requested I turn on my laptop since 2002.
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Why? if they can see a clear image of it, what would be the point? And BTW, no TSA person has asked me to turn on my laptop on in years.

I had to turn mine on for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I was flying from Canada to the US. Its the only time out of about 20 flights to the US this year, so it isn't standard practice.
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Odd. I would think TSA screeners would at least like to see the iPad turned on and functioning. I'm going to bet they revise this later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

If this were a computer then the flyer would need to take it out and be prepared to turn it on. Because it is not a computer, the flyer doesn't have to.

I fly quite a bit for work - I've never had to turn on my MacBookPro or <gulp> Dell. Simply removing them from my bag and placing them in their own tray seems to satisfy the TSA.

At least if the iPad does need to be turned on, it's one button and 'ON' in 2 seconds.
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

I know the feeling. I watched that movie while on a flight. I kinda wanted to cry for myself.

I also talked to a TSA security guy the other day, about the iPad.
He explained that it's the batteries that cause problems. They look like a big brick of explosive.
Your iPad will get pulled out (and you'll probably have to go through secondary screening) if there are any wires near it.

So keep your power cord in a separate bag, or remove it from the bag before putting it through.

Yes those batteries are a huge problem for TSA, ya know, because it's ALWAYS Americans, business commuters, college kids and families trying to blow up airplanes. I'm sure glad that they've added yet another complexity to the absurdity of our feign at politically correct airport security. Such a wonderfully diverse list of special procedures for screening specific make/model of personal electronics, but not one specific procedure for perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out... religious fanatics and/or foreign paramilitary?

Don't even get me started on "airline mode".
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Yes those batteries are a huge problem for TSA, ya know, because it's ALWAYS Americans, business commuters, college kids and families trying to blow up airplanes. I'm sure glad that they've added yet another complexity to the absurdity of our feign at politically correct airport security. Such a wonderfully diverse list of special procedures for screening specific make/model of personal electronics, but not one specific procedure for perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out... religious fanatics and/or foreign paramilitary?

Don't even get me started on "airline mode".

Ah, yes. Firesign Theatre had the dibs on this gig many, many years ago with their famed "We're All Bozos On This Bus" comedy album.

It still plays well today in our Paranoid States of America.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Yes those batteries are a huge problem for TSA, ya know, because it's ALWAYS Americans, business commuters, college kids and families trying to blow up airplanes. I'm sure glad that they've added yet another complexity to the absurdity of our feign at politically correct airport security. Such a wonderfully diverse list of special procedures for screening specific make/model of personal electronics, but not one specific procedure for perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out... religious fanatics and/or foreign paramilitary?

Don't even get me started on "airline mode".

lol uh oh, I can tell where this discussion is going.

Look, no matter what you or Ann Coulter say, airport security will not profile the way you talk about.

How do you profile a "religious fanatic"? Do you really think they are incapable of claiming they aren't a religious fanatic? Or that a "foreign paramilitary" can't disguise themselves?

I'm not so naive to think profiling isn't already happening, but we can't make it policy. I do find it absolutely pointless when security grabs grandma and pats her down (and yes, I honestly have seen this at Regan national airport.)

What we need is a more streamlined method to get through security, plain and simple. There have been so many times where there are only 2 or 3 lines, but then another 10 or so are closed, and there are a bunch of workers standing around bullshitting. It kind of reminds me of the check out lines at the grocery store; Not all lanes are open, and there are long lines in a few lanes with workers standing around bullshitting.
post #14 of 30
this is great. the iPad is similar to a toaster - meaning it is a nice appliance that does exactly what it is advertised to do. hmm, i wonder if they'd make you unpack a toaster.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Odd. I would think TSA screeners would at least like to see the iPad turned on and functioning. I'm going to bet they revise this later.

They stopped asking when it was discovered the length of time it takes for a PC laptops to start up was causing a massive, nation wide delay in flights. Just kidding
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #16 of 30
And this is news why?
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Yes those batteries are a huge problem for TSA, ya know, because it's ALWAYS Americans, business commuters, college kids and families trying to blow up airplanes. I'm sure glad that they've added yet another complexity to the absurdity of our feign at politically correct airport security. Such a wonderfully diverse list of special procedures for screening specific make/model of personal electronics, but not one specific procedure for perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out... religious fanatics and/or foreign paramilitary?

Don't even get me started on "airline mode".

Don't be ridiculous. Timothy McVeigh was as dangerous as any foreigner - and he looked just like an American college kid. Put your racism away for once.
post #18 of 30
Another pro for the iPad. It's now deemed more travel friendly than laptops, and therefore netbooks too. Jobs seems to be right, "Netbooks aren't better than anything." They're not better at traveling either even though the netbook screens are smaller than an iPad.
Oh wait that's not necessarily better either.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Why? if they can see a clear image of it, what would be the point? And BTW, no TSA person has requested I turn on my laptop since 2002.

Airport security has not showed any interest in my laptop for quite a while either. They seem more interested in my shoes (ordinary sneakers) and hearing aid.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

And this is news why?

Well lets see here, recently there was an article that said that the #1 use for the ipad would be for business purposes, and since travel is sometimes a big part of working people's lives, the thought of bringing an ipad instead of a laptop is now even sweeter knowing that you don't have to go through the hassle of pulling out your laptop, then putting it all back in it's bag once you're through the metal detector. You might not care about something like this, but for someone who's trying to decide if they should bring their laptop or their ipad, this new may help influence their decision.
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well lets see here, recently there was an article that said that the #1 use for the ipad would be for business purposes, and since travel is sometimes a big part of working people's lives, the thought of bringing an ipad instead of a laptop is now even sweeter knowing that you don't have to go through the hassle of pulling out your laptop, then putting it all back in it's bag once you're through the metal detector. You might not care about something like this, but for someone who's trying to decide if they should bring their laptop or their ipad, this new may help influence their decision.

It isn't that big a deal. However, if it could run full blown filemaker and VPN, I'd be all over it.
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

If this were a computer then the flyer would need to take it out and be prepared to turn it on. Because it is not a computer, the flyer doesn't have to.

just wait, someone will try to smuggle in explosives inside a hollowed out ipad and then we'll have to turn it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Yes those batteries are a huge problem for TSA, ya know, because it's ALWAYS Americans, business commuters, college kids and families trying to blow up airplanes.

Can you look at a random group of people and tell me just from looks who is an American and how is not. Who is a business commuter or college kid and who is a terrorist merely dressed up that way to slip past security.

the checks are supposed to apply to everyone the same to avoid that kind of trickery. and when they do random checks it's supposed to be random. not merely those that look X, Y or Z. and they are trained not to assume that a crazed terrorist would never bring her own kid on a flight she's going to blow up so there's no way there's explosives in that stroller. She is supposedly crazy right. So logic need not apply

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Another pro for the iPad. It's now deemed more travel friendly than laptops, and therefore netbooks too.

if the functions you need are covered by the ipad sure.
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

just wait, someone will try to smuggle in explosives inside a hollowed out ipad and then we'll have to turn it on.

with your reasoning we'll have to fear the next freak with 4 feet of sausage C4 up his bum. Imagine the security screenings after that!
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

with your reasoning we'll have to fear the next freak with 4 feet of sausage C4 up his bum. Imagine the security screenings after that!

that's already a worry. Which is why major airports should have 100% screenings for bomb material traces. Some kind of chemical sniffer at the checkpoint and gate and/or dogs. had they had that in europe the whole Crotch bomb might not have happened
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well lets see here, recently there was an article that said that the #1 use for the ipad would be for business purposes, and since travel is sometimes a big part of working people's lives, the thought of bringing an ipad instead of a laptop is now even sweeter knowing that you don't have to go through the hassle of pulling out your laptop, then putting it all back in it's bag once you're through the metal detector. You might not care about something like this, but for someone who's trying to decide if they should bring their laptop or their ipad, this new may help influence their decision.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I travel quite a bit myself and if it's the choice between pulling it out and not but getting my ass blown off, I'll stick with pulling it out. My God, this now whiner-central.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if the functions you need are covered by the ipad sure.

Travel friendly or not has nothing to do with functions.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #27 of 30
I was expecting first hand reports of officers asking to remove the ipad's battery....

Do you really feel secure?
What a load of cr---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration announced Tuesday that fliers who bring an iPad through security will conveniently be able to leave their device in its carry-on bag, unlike with a traditional laptop.

According to The Associated Press, the government agency said that most who travel will not need to remove the iPad from their bag, because the device is relatively small and doesn't have "bulky" accessories such as external drives. Those accessories can make it difficult for X-ray scanners, who see a cluttered image when a laptop and all of its accessories go through the machine in a bag.

However, the TSA cautioned that fliers may still be asked to remove their iPad if the scanners cannot get a clear image of the device.

Spokesman Greg Soule told the AP that the TSA is in the process of telling its employees how to handle the iPad for screening procedures. With 300,000 sold on the first day alone, and a 10-hour battery life perfect for watching movies or playing games on the go, it's a device they'll likely run into on a somewhat regular basis.

The convenience could be important to business-minded users who travel a lot and need to do light computing on the go. A March survey found that the No. 1 planned use for the iPad from prospective customers was working on the go.

Tuesday's report noted that although laptops, such as Apple's MacBooks, generally have to be removed from bags, some laptop sleeves that lie flat in an airport X-ray machine are considered acceptable. Such "checkpoint friendly" bags can be purchased online, though the TSA does not approve of specific bags.

"But it has encouraged manufacturers to design bags that will allow screeners to obtain clear images and give travelers the best shot of being able to keep computers in their bags," the report said.

At just 0.5 inches thick, 1.5 pounds in weight and with no physical keyboard, the iPad has been pitched by Apple has being thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook. The Wi-Fi-only version of the device is now available with a starting price of $499. The 3G-capable model, which will allow travelers Internet access on the go through AT&T's wireless network in the U.S., is due to arrive later this month.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Another pro for the iPad. It's now deemed more travel friendly than laptops, and therefore netbooks too. Jobs seems to be right, "Netbooks aren't better than anything." They're not better at traveling either even though the netbook screens are smaller than an iPad.
Oh wait that's not necessarily better either.

Actually, all netbooks and e-readers can stay in your bag, too.
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYou View Post

Actually, all netbooks and e-readers can stay in your bag, too.

Yes, I read that elsewhere.
http://technologizer.com/2010/04/07/...ent-notebooks/
After I posted that entry.
Pretty much a double standard in my opinion. Netbooks are foldable computers as are laptops. TSA is a moronic, myopic organization.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #30 of 30
Who even flies domestically nowadays? Seems like any more it's faster to just get a 44-ounce Mountain Dew, jump in the Honda, crank some tunes up, and head for the hills....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iPad can stay in bag for airport security screenings