or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iPad Case ships, gets unboxed in high-quality photos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad Case ships, gets unboxed in high-quality photos

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
After 72 hours of coddling their iPads like a newborn baby, early iPad adopters who pre-ordered one of Apple's official iPad cases have begun to receive the first deliveries of the accessory, which can be seen in the below unboxing photos.

Made of a rubberized exterior and soft microfiber interior, the $39 iPad Case folds tight like a hardcover book once the iPad is slipped into its snug frame and a piece of microfiber tucked underneath its left-side binding. It also act as a stand that holds iPad at an ideal angle for watching videos and slideshows or for typing on the onscreen keyboard.

AppleInsider will publish a short review of the case once it's had a few days to gauge its durability and the level of protection it offers.





















































post #2 of 84
Why is this a big deal? I got one Sat with my iPad.
post #3 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Why is this a big deal? I got one Sat with my iPad.

Same here.
post #4 of 84
So.


Waiting.


For.


Thursday.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #5 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Why is this a big deal? I got one Sat with my iPad.

Not everybody's bought an iPad yet, like me.
"Isnt it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - douglas adams
Reply
"Isnt it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - douglas adams
Reply
post #6 of 84
So u may have obtained one or more Sat Apr 3rd but for others that pre-ordered for home delivery they got theirs today. Two different events and AppleInsider is simply discussing today's event. I was please to see the article as I was interested in the review.

Why don't you post your review since you've had yours for 3 days now. Thanks...
Regards
Reply
Regards
Reply
post #7 of 84
The case is very disappointing and is certainly not worth $39. The worst part is that when the iPad is in the case the wifi antennae are so shielded that you lose you wi-fi connection. So you can really only use the iPad out of the case. I have already read somewhere how Apple reduced the strength of the wifi to improve the battery, and how the aluminum case (as opposed to plastic for the iPhone) blocks the wifi even more. It only stands to reason that if you put it in a case the wifi will be further reduced in strength, in fact to nil. Tomorrow the case is going to the Apple store for a refund.
post #8 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post

The case is very disappointing and is certainly not worth $39. The worst part is that when the iPad is in the case the wifi antennae are so shielded that you lose you wi-fi connection. So you can really only use the iPad out of the case. I have already read somewhere how Apple reduced the strength of the wifi to improve the battery, and how the aluminum case (as opposed to plastic for the iPhone) blocks the wifi even more. It only stands to reason that if you put it in a case the wifi will be further reduced in strength, in fact to nil. Tomorrow the case is going to the Apple store for a refund.

Shielded by what? The case is not made out of metal at all, and I've had absolutely no wifi problems connecting. I've been to several places where my iPhone had minimal connection (still useful), and my iPad has had the same or better connection, INSIDE the case. Maybe you should try using one before talking out of your ass.
post #9 of 84
We'll see what AI's review discovers, but my first impression is that the case offers little protection for the most vulnerable entryways for moisture: the headphone jack and switches.
post #10 of 84
As some will know, you can't dock the iPad dock with the case.
post #11 of 84
I agree. I kept my iPad inside the Apple case and didn't notice any signal dropout.
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoslick View Post

Shielded by what? The case is not made out of metal at all, and I've had absolutely no wifi problems connecting. I've been to several places where my iPhone had minimal connection (still useful), and my iPad has had the same or better connection, INSIDE the case. Maybe you should try using one before talking out of your ass.

I got two cases today and cannot use them so I am not talking out of my a**, i am speaking from experience. I am happy that you do not have the same problem, but I cannot use the case so I am going to seek a refund.

I do not see the need for you to be a jerk in this matter. Why did you assume that I had not tried the case on my iPad? I happen to be a very loyal Apple user and I think the iPad is great. I am disappointed that I cannot use the case, but I still maintain that it is cheaply made and in not worth $39.
post #13 of 84
How stable is the iPad when the case is in "typing" mode? Do you find the angle at which the iPad is lying to be a good angle when typing?
post #14 of 84
Yup, I just got home and there was my iPad case sitting on my front door. Received the iPad dock I pre-ordered last Saturday ... now all I have to do is wait about three weeks for my pre-ordered 64GB 3G iPad to arrive, and then I can actually use these accessories.

p.s. I also thought this was kind of funny. I've been "excited" shall we say to get my iPad and my girlfriend really isn't very keen on Apple (except for her iPod Nano) ... she's been telling me how stupid the iPad is, and how its a waste of money, etc ... Yesterday we went to the Apple Store in San Diego and played around with a WiFi demo. After five minutes on the device she turned to me and said, "I'm sorry, you were right ... this thing is AWESOME!" So, now we have to find a way to get her one ...
post #15 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by weshsu View Post

How stable is the iPad when the case is in "typing" mode? Do you find the angle at which the iPad is lying to be a good angle when typing?

When it is flat in the case the typing is not a problem. But he case does not sit well upright for reading. Or in the "wedge" position, where I find that it is even more unstable. I think t is too flimsy.

Whoever suggested a leather case may be on to something, but any thicker covering may impede the work of the antennae. I understand that one antenna is under the apple logo on the back of the iPad.


It has already been established that the wifi strength on the iPad is not as strong as on the iPhone: http://www.9to5mac.com/node/15686. The good news is that this can be remedied by a software adaptation. That may mean, however, shorter battery life.
post #16 of 84
I find Apple's fold over design great - it does not however work with the dock as someone else mentioned. If you want to carry other stuff (e.g., charger, keyboard) you probably need just the envelope type case and then a small laptop bag or backpack.

The fold over is a bit thick for playing with accelerometer controlled games but is easy enough to take out if/when you want to do that.

None of the cases were cheap so I guess $39 is reasonable and I suspect it will not take much to really scratch the shiny backside quickly from what I have read so it is a good investment (unless you are looking for a nice patina on yours ). The condom sleeve type cases do not protect the device except in transit and the Apple case has a bit better protection for corners and edges.

IHTH, Cheers!
post #17 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

p.s. I also thought this was kind of funny. I've been "excited" shall we say to get my iPad and my girlfriend really isn't very keen on Apple (except for her iPod Nano) ... she's been telling me how stupid the iPad is, and how its a waste of money, etc ... Yesterday we went to the Apple Store in San Diego and played around with a WiFi demo. After five minutes on the device she turned to me and said, "I'm sorry, you were right ... this thing is AWESOME!" So, now we have to find a way to get her one ...

... and I was ready to tell you to dump the girlfriend...
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #18 of 84
Judging from the pictures, this case is only really useful in landscape orientation. It can't hold the iPad slightly slanted back from vertical in portrait. I would have thought the minds at Apple could have figured out how to do both.
post #19 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I find Apple's fold over design great - it does not however work with the dock as someone else mentioned. If you want to carry other stuff (e.g., charger, keyboard) you probably need just the envelope type case and then a small laptop bag or backpack.

The fold over is a bit thick for playing with accelerometer controlled games but is easy enough to take out if/when you want to do that.

None of the cases were cheap so I guess $39 is reasonable and I suspect it will not take much to really scratch the shiny backside quickly from what I have read so it is a good investment (unless you are looking for a nice patina on yours ). The condom sleeve type cases do not protect the device except in transit and the Apple case has a bit better protection for corners and edges.

IHTH, Cheers!

I'm reading reports that the case is extremely tight making it difficult to get the iPad out or back in. Can someone who has the case comment on this?
post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Judging from the pictures, this case is only really useful in landscape orientation. It can't hold the iPad slightly slanted back from vertical in portrait. I would have thought the minds at Apple could have figured out how to do both.

It actually is slanted back about 5 degrees from vertical.
post #21 of 84
I got my case today and it is very very good.

It is extremely useful in landscape mode for typing and for watching videos but it is very minimally obtrusive in portrait mode also. In fact I am typing this on my iPad in portrait mode with the case on.

The case is a snug fit and feels very solid but it is not at all difficult to move the iPad in and out of the case.

I didn't experience any variations in wifi signal strength because of the case.

All in all the case is very solid and will be a very good buy.
post #22 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I'm reading reports that the case is extremely tight making it difficult to get the iPad out or back in. Can someone who has the case comment on this?

Mine is pretty snug. It is pretty easy getting it to slide in since you have good leverage, but getting it out is a little more work. When sliding the iPad out, it is hard to grab an edge to pull, and also hard to get started to push. However, after a little practice, you can remove it in about 15 or 20 seconds. I'm sure that over time, it'll loosen up a little.
post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post

The case is very disappointing and is certainly not worth $39. The worst part is that when the iPad is in the case the wifi antennae are so shielded that you lose you wi-fi connection. So you can really only use the iPad out of the case. I have already read somewhere how Apple reduced the strength of the wifi to improve the battery, and how the aluminum case (as opposed to plastic for the iPhone) blocks the wifi even more. It only stands to reason that if you put it in a case the wifi will be further reduced in strength, in fact to nil. Tomorrow the case is going to the Apple store for a refund.

You're trying to tell me that the wifi signal gets through the aluminum enclosure of the iPad, but then can't make it through a case? Come on....
post #24 of 84
I wouldn't exactly call this high quality photos, looks like a photo anyone could take.
post #25 of 84
It's very nice with few drawbacks.

I never got a case of any kind for the iPod touch because the prices just never seemed unreasonable. So, when I went to pick up the iPad I felt like I'd been frugal long enough. I asked for the case. My designated retail person showed me all the cases even though I asked for the Apple one -- good for her! When I asked about the others she said the nice thing about the Apple case seems to be that it adds very little bulk.

Anyway, I decided to activate it in the store so we could play on the way home, and as soon as I lifted it out of the box I was glad I had bought the case. I couldn't wait to put it in -- I have a little crack in the glass of my iPod Touch.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the case. Yes, it's snug, but I leave it on almost ALL the time. I haven't really found a need to take it out. I don't use a dock, I just plug it in. I'm not sure why it causes an earlier poster a problem with accelerometer games -- oh, maybe racing? It does feel sturdy and I have no qualms holding it under an arm or stacking it with some book, or just holding it casually one handed while moving about. It's worth the money just for that. It's VERY nice looking in person, too.

On top of this It's also solid and grippy which a lot of cases can't say and my designated helper was right: it adds very little bulk. You still feel like you've got a sleek device with it on.

There are two minor issues for me. When folded for standing it works perfectly for typing -- I'm a bit stunned by how close to real typing it is -- but when standing it for watching a movie or TV it's a bit wobbly. I hope that will sort it self out as the rigidity weakens over time. The other issue is that it's pretty hard to get at the orientation locking switch when you combine my fat fingers with the tight fitting cut out and cushioning fringe on the case. The other buttons and connectors are easy to access, however.
post #26 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post

The case is very disappointing and is certainly not worth $39. The worst part is that when the iPad is in the case the wifi antennae are so shielded that you lose you wi-fi connection. So you can really only use the iPad out of the case. I have already read somewhere how Apple reduced the strength of the wifi to improve the battery, and how the aluminum case (as opposed to plastic for the iPhone) blocks the wifi even more. It only stands to reason that if you put it in a case the wifi will be further reduced in strength, in fact to nil. Tomorrow the case is going to the Apple store for a refund.

I'm very pleased with this case. I bought two, one for my wife and one for myself. And the wifi signal works great with it on. If this ultra thin case blocks your signal, your signal was lousy in the first place. If I were you, I'd consider returning your iPad AND the case.

I would definitely recommend this case.
post #27 of 84
I can sympathize with the previous post about Wifi being obstructed by the case. I don't believe it is the cause at all, but I did experience the wifi issues twice. It was so bizarre and random when it happened. It didn't happen for me for the first two or three days at all and I haven't removed the case since the first day. He probably had it happen for the first time right after he put the case on and thought it was the cause.

A good reminder that correlation does not imply causation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correla...mply_causation

My best bet about the wifi issue is what some others have suggested. Apple is putting the wifi to sleep in order to save battery, but it has a glitch or two. I hope that's the case so that a software update can fix it.

(Oh, and since some people in this thread don't seem to know, the black plastic Apple logo on the back is a "hole" for the wifi antennae.)
post #28 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post

When it is flat in the case the typing is not a problem. But he case does not sit well upright for reading. Or in the "wedge" position, where I find that it is even more unstable. I think t is too flimsy.

Whoever suggested a leather case may be on to something, but any thicker covering may impede the work of the antennae. I understand that one antenna is under the apple logo on the back of the iPad.


It has already been established that the wifi strength on the iPad is not as strong as on the iPhone: http://www.9to5mac.com/node/15686. The good news is that this can be remedied by a software adaptation. That may mean, however, shorter battery life.

Pretty sure it's not the case and more likely the fact that you're one of these:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...on_issues.html

Take the iPad to Apple for a replacement instead of making ridiculous claims about a leather case.
post #29 of 84
Just came back from States today with my Pad, the device is great, didn't notice any trouble with wifi "yet". The case really disappointing. It looks nothing like Apple, is all covered in rubber flakes out of the box, the seams are outward looking which is sometimes hard on your hands and finally the home button hole is not precise enough. I personally think i should cost around 20 not 40.

My advice for u to wait for third party cases to appear on apple online store, they might be more expensive but i hope the producers will learn from apple case and offer something better.
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post

The case is very disappointing and is certainly not worth $39. The worst part is that when the iPad is in the case the wifi antennae are so shielded that you lose you wi-fi connection. So you can really only use the iPad out of the case. I have already read somewhere how Apple reduced the strength of the wifi to improve the battery, and how the aluminum case (as opposed to plastic for the iPhone) blocks the wifi even more. It only stands to reason that if you put it in a case the wifi will be further reduced in strength, in fact to nil. Tomorrow the case is going to the Apple store for a refund.


aluminum doesn't cover the wifi antenna. The PLASTIC Apple logo does. Try again hater.
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post


I do not see the need for you to be a jerk in this matter. Why did you assume that I had not tried the case on my iPad? I happen to be a very loyal Apple user and I think the iPad is great. I am disappointed that I cannot use the case, but I still maintain that it is cheaply made and in not worth $39.

You're worried about the case, but it is your iPad that needs to be refunded. I'm telling you now, the problem you claim is non-existent with mine.
post #32 of 84
nice case for a nice portable "mirror". Oups, nice portable giant "iPod". Oups, really sorry, great iPad!
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #33 of 84
Just got the case(s) today also.

Build/fit/finish all are fine. No problems in or out with the iPad. Have had no issues at all with wifi signal before or after the case(got the iPad on Saturday, case today).

For me, while the case is good, it just seems to be "off". Not sure exactly how to describe it. I actually wish it was a tad more book like, to add just a slight more bulk to it. Not a lot or anything, just a bit more.

It functions very well as a stand on a desk. Not so much so on your lap(in portrait). Landscape is nice all the way around. It should provide at least some protection as far as drops. It actually gave a slight boost in sound level due to the small protruding tab all the way around, kind of acting as a horn directing the sound towards you.

I would recommend it as a great first case. I am sure many more and better will come along. I have already looked at the iKit for pre-order, looks very interesting to me.
post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I find Apple's fold over design great - it does not however work with the dock as someone else mentioned. If you want to carry other stuff (e.g., charger, keyboard) you probably need just the envelope type case and then a small laptop bag or backpack.

The fold over is a bit thick for playing with accelerometer controlled games but is easy enough to take out if/when you want to do that.

None of the cases were cheap so I guess $39 is reasonable and I suspect it will not take much to really scratch the shiny backside quickly from what I have read so it is a good investment (unless you are looking for a nice patina on yours ). The condom sleeve type cases do not protect the device except in transit and the Apple case has a bit better protection for corners and edges.

IHTH, Cheers!

my macbook looks like a spider net from a few meters, nice designer im i carry it unprotected and occasionally put it in a bag with a bunch of other metal things. I really think that scratches look grate on the casing (if there is a lot of them) anyhow iPad case is only goig to protect ur device from them...why? are u looking to resell urs...if so u don't like Apple enough
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
post #35 of 84
Just what I always wanted! A case for the iPad 3G I don't have yet!

/waits impatiently for "late" April
post #36 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

I can sympathize with the previous post about Wifi being obstructed by the case. I don't believe it is the cause at all, but I did experience the wifi issues twice. It was so bizarre and random when it happened. It didn't happen for me for the first two or three days at all and I haven't removed the case since the first day. He probably had it happen for the first time right after he put the case on and thought it was the cause.

A good reminder that correlation does not imply causation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correla...mply_causation

My best bet about the wifi issue is what some others have suggested. Apple is putting the wifi to sleep in order to save battery, but it has a glitch or two. I hope that's the case so that a software update can fix it.

(Oh, and since some people in this thread don't seem to know, the black plastic Apple logo on the back is a "hole" for the wifi antennae.)

just a question is this the same with white apple logo on macbooks? hate this thing, wish there was an option in preferences to turn that thig of
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
MacBook 5,1, MacPro 4,1
Reply
post #37 of 84
I got the case at the Apple store the day it came out too. I love it, and I normally hate cases, I never use them on my iPhones. The ability to fold it makes it so much better than just a case, plus it is makes so much easier to hold and balance, not to mention typing. To me the case is a must have.

I also love the pogo stylus, it's perfect for taking notes in Adobe Ideas, a must have free app for any student or artist.

Posted from my iPad.
post #38 of 84
The WiFi in my home network can travel through 3 levels plus a basement, out to my yard, through trees, down the driveway and half way down the street. Surely the thin iPad case is not the reason for WiFi issues.
post #39 of 84
Bought this case on launch day. Absolutely LOVE it!!! I love how simple and light it is and that you can carry the iPad around like a simple notepad or clipboard... not like a big honkin' zippered leather case. LOVE IT. And the rubberized surface gives you great grip!!!! It's very easy to sit back in a chair at a meeting or something with the iPad resting on a crossed leg and a pen and notepad in hand for instance... stuff like that. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

p.s. zero issues with WiFi
post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylurian View Post

As some will know, you can't dock the iPad dock with the case.

Thanks for that prescient observation. It's clear the masses couldn't fathom that when they slipped it into place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iPad Case ships, gets unboxed in high-quality photos