or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iPad component costs adjusted, estimated to cost Apple $260

iPad component costs adjusted, estimated to cost Apple $260

post #1 of 54
With the iPad now in users' hands and its internal components revealed, iSuppli has adjusted its estimated cost to Apple for the 16GB Wi-Fi model higher, to $259.60, due to more silicon than it had anticipated.

That's more than $40 higher than a preliminary estimate provided in February, soon after the iPad was revealed. But the total is also well below the $499 starting price for the 16GB Wi-Fi iPad.

According to BusinessWeek, that total skewed higher once iSuppli saw the components of the actual product, because the shipping iPad includes more silicon chips than it expected. One example: the iPad uses three chips for control of the touchscreen.

That screen is the most expensive component in the device, costing $95. That total is up from the $80 assumed in February's estimate. The custom-manufactured LCD 9.7-inch IPS screens have been supplied by LG, Samsung and Epson. The special design of the iPad reportedly makes its display twice as expensive as that of a typical netbook.

Memory costs with the iPad amounted to $29.50 for the 16GB model, $59 for the 32GB model, and $118 for 64GB of storage. And the custom-built A4 processor is estimated to cost $26.80, up nearly $10 from the February projection of $17. And the rear case, machined from a single billet of aluminum, cost $10.50.

iSuppli estimated that the 32GB iPad, which sells for $599, includes $289.10 in materials, while the $699, top-of-the-line 64GB Wi-Fi iPad carries a cost of $348.10.

iSuppli principal analyst Andrew Rassweiler said that more than 40 percent of the costs of the iPad are associated to powering the touchscreen display and components of the user interface.

In February it was alleged that Apple could lower the price of the iPad if initial sales are not as strong as the company hopes. That information was revealed this week after executives from the Cupertino, Calif., company allegedly told one analyst. Management reportedly said it "will remain nimble" in pricing the iPad.

But with opening day sales of more than 300,000, exceeding the first-generation iPhone, Apple likely is not looking to reduce the price of the iPad. The 3G version of the hardware, which offers wireless connectivity through a cellular data subscription and carries a $130 premium, is set to arrive later this month.
post #2 of 54
ipad ftw
post #3 of 54
For now, the price is fine as it is. Some customers have bought more than one, anyway.
post #4 of 54
That number is rather meaningless, since it does not include research and development costs. I hope no one takes it seriously.
post #5 of 54
The article implies that Apple might lower the price of the iPad if sales were weak, but I've never known them to do that before. Sometimes they lower the price when sales are strong. I think they use their own secret formula for setting price and sales volume is a minor factor.
post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That's more than $40 higher than a preliminary estimate provided in February, soon after the iPad was revealed. But the total is also well below the $499 starting price for the 16GB Wi-Fi iPad.

Well one would hardly expect it to be over the $499 starting price, would one?
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

That number is rather meaningless, since it does not include research and development costs. I hope no one takes it seriously.

Or marketing costs. Or manufacturing overheads. Or shipping of components. Or quality costs. Or a whole bunch of other costs.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Amen. I wonder what the assembly labor costs are?
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the $699, top-of-the-line 64GB Wi-Fi iPad carries a cost of $348.10.

Apple ripped me off and all I got was this iPad!
post #10 of 54
I think they need to stay competitive on the price.
$499 is fine for now with no real competition out there.
Once Android and Chrome tablets enter the market, I would like to see a drop in the price or a bump in the specs.

For only $30 difference in cost between the 32GB and 16GB models, there isn't much justification in even offering a 16GB model.

Pricing should have been more like:
$499 32GB
$599 64GB
post #11 of 54
Quote:

Unless I'm mistaken, the R&D as well as the Design costs have already been reflected on the last X man financial quarters... So that being said, the bottom line cost to build is certainly something the market watchers would find helpful in better forecasting Apples future profit potential.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Amen. I wonder what the assembly labor costs are?

I think people have said before... when dealing with a run of many hundreds of thousands or millions+ the assembly costs are really insignificant. Seems odd to me too... but I've read it quite a number of times. Finally this shouldn't come of any real shock... Apple is TOP in the industry for having well above 'the norm' profit margins. Apple (I believe) is still the #1 profit margin leader in the industry... However since Apple seems to be in THREE and some might argue FOUR or MORE industries, its hard to say what industry they're actually in anymore.

- Computer Industry?
- CE Industry?
- Cell Phone Industry?
- Music Industry?
- Movie Industry?
- Publishing Industry?

Hmm did I forget anything also maybe the last three be considered 'Media Retailer Industry?

Looking back at that list.. nobody would believe it if you said Apple would be deeply involved in ALL of them less than 10 after the day Jobs returned.
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

Once Android and Chrome tablets enter the market, I would like to see a drop in the price or a bump in the specs.

When iPhone arrived, it kicked off a spike in all smartphone sales.

Part of the Android success is due to the fact that the iPhone is AT&T only in the US and carrier locked in most countries.See here:
Poll favors iPhone, minus carrier decision.

Quote:
No. 1 U.S. smartphone BlackBerry was No. 3 in the survey conducted between March 30 and April 6 by the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal, the choice of only 10 percent of those who responded.

Devices powered by Google Inc.'s Android operating system were No. 2, with 19 percent of respondents.

Both were far behind the Apple Inc. smartphone's 57 percent.

This will not happen with the iPad. It will not have a worthwhile tablet competitor for quite some time. Rather, it will compete with netbooks and low-end notebooks.
post #14 of 54
Quote:

Maybe my sarcasm perimeter broke today, but I think you might have missed the prediction that this baby cost well over $1,000 leading to the unveiling, and the overwhelming applaud when Jobs announced $499 as starting price.
post #15 of 54
Quote:

For only $30 difference in cost between the 32GB and 16GB models, there isn't much justification in even offering a 16GB model.

$499 32GB
$599 64GB

Why? Apple sold about all that they could make for the initial launch and order demand apparently remains strong.

Compare the entry level $499 iPad to the $549 HP Slate and there's no reason to believe that Apple's price is too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I think people have said before... when dealing with a run of many hundreds of thousands or millions+ the assembly costs are really insignificant. Seems odd to me too... but I've read it quite a number of times.

Actually, estimates of the assembly costs are around $7-10 per unit. That's about 1-2% of selling price. Not a huge number, but significant as it will add tens of millions of dollars in annual costs.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #16 of 54
Someone should do a comparison to other industries. For example what is the material cost of an automobile? Of course in that case there is a large difference between the truly raw materials and the finished individual components. and the labor cost per unit may be much higher than on consumer electronics - or how about a building construction project? it is not at all unusual for a project such as adding a deck on your house to be 50% materials cost and 50% labor cost.
post #17 of 54
Withdrawn
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Apple ripped me off and all I got was this iPad!

You're within the time limit to return it if you're not happy with it.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #19 of 54
We had a similar thread before if anyone wants to check it out @
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...apple_219.html

That said, It easy to look at the what goes into the iPad in terms of component costs, but you have to consider all of the other factors including PROFIT. One post mentions the R&D, production costs and assembly cost. Other cost are packaging, advertisement etc.

Before Apple gets criticized too severely, there over a 100% markup on clothing and on limited brands even more. How much did you pay for your Latte this morning at your favorite Starbucks?

Hidden cost--Apple store and tech support.
post #20 of 54
Quote:

Component costs are just the beginning as stated. R&D plus patent legalities, labor and manufacturing facility overhead are significant.

I'm a manufacturing engineer specializing in microelectronics so I know component costs are just the starting point.

When you take your car in for service, the charge is parts plus three times the parts cost for laborit costs $100 to replace a $25 part.
post #21 of 54
I have never seen a single iSupply report and I am not sure about their cost calculation methods, but I really doubt in their numbers.

Let us just compare the numbers for commodity part, 8GB MLC NAND FLASH in TSOP48:

- today's average spot price of 8GB MLC FLASH is $15, so spot price for 16GB corresponds to iSupply number of $29.50
- i am sure that Apple, as biggest consumer of FLASH memory in the world, pays a lot less then today's spot prices for FLASH:
-- the scheduled order quantities for iPhone, iPod and now iPad are huge!
-- Apple paid big amounts of money well in advance to Samsung and Toshiba to assure capacity and delivery as well as price

Thus, there are good reasons to believe that Apple negotiated FLASH prices that are well double-digit below spot prices. And because of relatively limited list of chips used in iPhone, iPod and iPad and their high volumes, it can be true for the other parts in iPad BOM, too.
post #22 of 54
Quote:

$499 32GB
$599 64GB

You got some pretty good points..
I think there is no way Apple is going to drop the prices..they'll just wait a few months (4-6 i guess) and bump the specs..
probably: $499 for 32GB and maybe double the RAM (since its likely that we'll get multitasking that'll make sense). Same thing with the 64GB and maybe a new 128 GB..but the 16GB will be dropped.
And maybe in early 2011 they'll upgrade it again with a slight design change (camera), faster processor..my guess is also that not later than 2011 they'll drop the wi-fi only version and every ipad will have 3G and GPS..at this point they might go with the same concept than the ipod touch.. the top-end ipads will have haster hadware..but again: its just guessing ^^
Oh and all my "predictions" depend on how successful the ipad as a product is going to be..however there is always going to be a "cheap" version of the ipad since the low price is very important for this product category.

ps.: Sorry for kinda missing the subject of the thread xD

//EDIT:
Now that i think about it:
Apple surprised most of us with the $499 price for the lo-end ipad..they might do the trick again since a low-end ipad for like $389 or something would most certainly bash the competition.. Doesn't sound very apple"ish" to be though ^^
24" iMac, 2,93Ghz, 4GB Ram, 640GB HD, ATI 4850
Aluminum MacBook 13,3", 2,0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
Classic iPhone 16GB
5G iPod nano Product red 8GB
Time Capsule 1TB
[coming soon] 32GB iPad + 3G
24" iMac, 2,93Ghz, 4GB Ram, 640GB HD, ATI 4850
Aluminum MacBook 13,3", 2,0Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
Classic iPhone 16GB
5G iPod nano Product red 8GB
Time Capsule 1TB
[coming soon] 32GB iPad + 3G
post #23 of 54
To all the people complaining that they got ripped off, this is what it costs to be on the bleeding edge. I just got the new ATI 5970 for my gaming rig, and paid an arm and a leg for it - alas I don't complain because I wanted the best of the best. I think the same applies here. These are really healthy margins, which will help Apple stay competitive and keep churning out great products in the future. Now I'm off to play with my new toy... err iPad.
post #24 of 54
Quote:

Only if it was made by Microsoft. They are excused for selling at a loss when it can be called a "strategic investment."
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Maybe my sarcasm perimeter broke today, but I think you might have missed the prediction that this baby cost well over $1,000 leading to the unveiling, and the overwhelming applaud when Jobs announced $499 as starting price.

My comment was a criticism of a poor piece of journalism, and the sarcastic tone was a reflection of just how poor. That the component cost is lower than the retail cost is so obvious as to not need stating, so presumably the article did not pass in front of an editor first as they surely would have excised the sentence. I'm afraid I don't see how your comment is relevant either to the article or my comment.

On topic: iSuppli do specify 'component costs' and so does not purport to cover other costs listed by various posters above, but surely it would make more sense to use the wholesale rather than retail price for comparison. I would estimate the retailers' mark-up to be between 10-12%, and even where Apple is the retailer they would use such a margin for accounting purposes. Also, I would argue that the OS is a component, because without it the device would not work, although calculating that cost per unit would be practically impossible.
Buddha
Buddha
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Which product do you have in mind? IE?

XBox 360. They sold them at a loss as a "strategic investment" to really break in to the gaming console market.

But anyway, as many have stated before: there is more to the device cost than just the components. Plus, if people are willing to buy the iPad at $499, and Apple's pricing analysts see this as the best price to maximize profit, then the iPad should be sold at $499. Apple is a business just like any other: their main goal is to maximize profit.
MBP 2.2GHz, Unibody Mac Mini, iPod 4G 20Gb, Palm Centro
Custom-built PC for unRAID
MBP 2.2GHz, Unibody Mac Mini, iPod 4G 20Gb, Palm Centro
Custom-built PC for unRAID
post #27 of 54
Quote:

Which product do you have in mind? IE?

Xbox and Zune, for a start. In fact it would be a challenge to name any product outside of software where Microsoft has made a profit at the start, or even a long way down the road in some instances. Apple has never been granted that sort of luxury.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #28 of 54
Quote:

Nearly nothing. A half-step above slave wages. The lowest in the world. Sub-poverty level by our standards. Take your pick.

You should read Apple Supplier Responsibility Report 2010 @
http://images.apple.com/supplierresp...0Report_FF.pdf

Although you can state that certain abuses do exist, you have to see what Apple does to alleviate the violations of its standards. To be sure the workers do not rise to the US in terms of wages, however you have to consider that the workers earn more than state worker employees.

Some highlights from the Reoprt:

"To extend the reach of this training while preserving its quality, Apple implemented a train-the-trainer program that would enable our suppliers to deliver their own social responsibility courses. We collaborated with Veritéan internationally recognized leader dedicated to ensuring safe, fair, and legal conditions in the workplaceto design and deliver a five-day workshop to train human resources staff from all of our final assembly manufacturers.

Working hours
Apples Code sets a maximum of 60 work hours per week and requires at least one day of rest per seven days of work, while allowing exceptions in unusual or emergency circumstances.

2010 Progress ReportClarifying standards
To reduce the frequency of common violations, Apple has developed detailed standards that educate our suppliers and clarify our expectations on the following subjects:
Dormitories Juvenile Worker Protections Medical Non-Discrimination Pregnancy Non-Discrimination Prevention of Involuntary Labor Wages and Benefits Working Hours

2010 Progress Report
At each facility we audit, we examine multiple records across shifts and production lines. At 60 facilities, we found records that indicated workers had exceeded weekly work-hour limits more than 50 percent of the time. Similarly, at 65 facilities, more than half of the records we reviewed indicated that workers had worked more than six consecutive days at least once
per month. To address these issues, we required each facility to develop management systemsor improve existing systemsto drive compliance with Apples limits on work hours and required days of rest.

Wages and benefits
Our Code addresses several areas of compensation, including base wages, overtime wages, pay structures, legally mandated benefits, and prohibition of base wage deductions for disciplinary purposes.
At 48 of the facilities audited, we found that overtime wages had been calculated improperly, resulting in underpayment of overtime wages. At 24 facilities, our auditors found that workers had been paid less than minimum wage for regular working hours. In most of these cases, the facilitys pay structure for regular hours depended on attendance-related bonuses to meet minimum wage requirements; without these bonuses, there was no guarantee that the minimum wage would be met. We also found 15 facilities where the facilitys pay structure was unnecessarily complex and could result in underpayment of wages.
In all cases where workers were underpaidor where the complexity of the pay structure could cause underpaymentwe required facilities to complete many actions, including calculation of underpayments, repayment of underpaid wages, and implementation of management systems to ensure accurate payment in the future.

Another common violation we found was underpayment of legally required benefits. We found 57 facilities with deficient payments in worker benefits, such as sick leave, maternity leave, or social insurance for retirement. In all cases, Apple has required management to pay the full amount of facility-paid benefits according to local law.
Audits also revealed 45 facilities where wage deductions were used for disciplinary purposes. While the deductions we discovered may be legal under local laws, Apple has required an end to this practice.
post #29 of 54
Quote:

Nearly nothing. A half-step above slave wages. The lowest in the world. Sub-poverty level by our standards. Take your pick.

Again ill-informed person with concern to cost of living in the countries outside of US/Europe and minimum wage.

Do your homework, here is a link below, not going to do all work for you and give you the direct link because i do not believe in handouts

http://www.ilo.org/global/What_we_do...--en/index.htm
post #30 of 54
Interesting comparison of selected specs of the HP Slate and the iPad.

the HP Slate,

--has a smaller screen
--a larger battery

...and 1/2 the battery life!

Why???

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
post #31 of 54
Quote:

It's the only number that the public sees. No company publishes all of the costs that it takes to develop, manufacture and sell a given product. There is a competitive disadvantage by disclosing such information. Apple does not break out figures for individual SKUs.

The BOM analysis is useful because it is relative to other BOM analyses. The only visibility that outsiders have are the estimated cost of the parts. The BOM figure is the closest thing the outsider has to COGS.

Apple lists R&D and SG&A separately under operating expenses in their quarterly income statements. How Apple distributes these operating expenses per product is none of our business.
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

the HP Slate,

--has a smaller screen
--a larger battery

Why???

To put simply, Inefficient OS and inefficient HW.

PS: Why are you replying to Josh.B (aka iGenius) trollish remarks?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

the HP Slate,

--has a smaller screen
--a larger battery

Why???

Because HP stopped Inventing a long time ago...

HP probably just buy the cheapest battery it can find on the market to include in its cheaply designed device...

Apple has been investing a lot recently in battery R&D, making them lasting longer, being smaller, greener, and rechargeable many times more than the average inexpensive good enough crap every other company is satisfied with...
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Why are you replying to Josh.B (aka iGenius) trollish remarks?

Thanks, one more for my IL.
post #35 of 54
Quote:

Why do you say that they will not have a worthwhile tablet competitor for quite some time? Dozens of them were shown at CES.

Is that just some kind of "nobody could possibly be as good as Apple" sort of thing?

A netbook without a keyboard and bolted on touchscreen display is not a worthwhile iPad competitor. Also, the larger the number of "iPod killers" the lower the chance of any of them getting traction, because at the end of the day the user will choose the "proven" option - the iPad.

The main drawback of all tablets - there is no good tablet OS yet, iPhone OS not withstanding.
post #36 of 54
Quote:

not unless it were a game console...
post #37 of 54
Response to Fine Tunes post: "Component costs are just the beginning"

Thanks for injecting a voice of sanity here. I find these "how much should it cost" articles very silly because they add up what they think is the fair market value of the parts and say "that's what it should cost." Rarely do bloggers mention the R&D (which you did) or other obscure concepts like marketing, distribution, and that evil word - profit.

I wonder how many of the people who decry Apple's pricing as too high would feel if they spent years developing a device or program, only to have critics say they should cut the price to the bare bone.

Bottom line: Its a free market. Buy what you want, or not.
post #38 of 54
Quote:

$499 32GB
$599 64GB

agreed - the first movers aren't going to be happy in August/September when the prices fall and the capacity goes up
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejr View Post

agreed - the first movers aren't going to be happy in August/September when the prices fall and the capacity goes up

Disagreed. As a first mover, I don't give a damn.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejr View Post

Says who?

Everyone who knows anything about the industry knows that over time, prices drop and/or specs increase. Why would an increase in specs in September be a surprise to anyone?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iPad component costs adjusted, estimated to cost Apple $260