or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple creates iPad AdLib framework to join TuneKit, PastryKit

Apple creates iPad AdLib framework to join TuneKit, PastryKit

post #1 of 50
Apple has created a new development framework to enable rich web apps for iPad using simple HTML, CSS and JavaScript, following its previous efforts to do the same for the iPhone and within iTunes.

The new AdLib framework for iPad, detailed by web developer Jim Hoskins, is used by the built in iPad User Guide within Safari to present a touch-based scrolling list of topics in a split view that also presents a series of subtopics for each subject.

Hoskins wrote that "the framework weighed in at 4,300 lines of code, and was unmistakably an Apple-born API. Every class and constant was prefixed with the letters 'AD' and some of the classes include ADTabBarController, ADScrollPane, ADViewController, ADView, ADToolbar, and dozens more."

In a short video posted on YouTube, Hoskins presented the iPad User Guide within the iPad Simulator, being used with a mouse. iPad owners can peruse the Guide themselves by bringing up bookmarks in Safari.

A variety of frameworks

This makes the AdLib framework a very close sibling to the PastryKit for iPhone and TuneKit, another web standards framework used to create iTunes Extras and iTunes LPs content. AppleInsider reported on the TuneKit framework back in September of last year, and PastryKit was identified in a parallel article as being related effort developed for iPhone.

Just as with TuneKit and PastryKit, there isn't any public documentation for AdLib, nor even any hints as to what the frameworks "AD" prefix letters stand for. But because it's written in JavaScript and CSS and HTML, the framework (like its earlier relatives) isn't too difficult to learn how to apply in creating new, original web apps for iPad, just as developers have experimented with using PastryKit and TuneKit.

What's Apple's strategy?

The fact that Apple is building these frameworks and not making a public announcement about how to apply them, or even releasing full documentation, indicates they're still under development internally.

It is possible the company will unveil a unified new strategy for developing rich web applications entirely using web standards (and avoiding the need for proprietary plugin add ons like Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight), and could even release a new development tool (or expand upon its existing DashCode) in order to provide web developers with the ability to quickly and efficiently create mobile web apps that support touch, Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for its mobile devices, and users' expected behaviors.

The AD naming scheme for the iPad framework may also be linked to iAd, the rumored name of Apple's new mobile advertising network, as it could be used to deliver interactive ad content using web standards, much as Flash is commonly used by web advertisers on the desktop.

More details on the AdLib framework and iAd program may be presented in tomorrow's unveiling of iPhone OS 4.0.
post #2 of 50
1) I hope this gets applied to MobileMe quickly (as well as their other sites).

2) I hope Google updates their Gmail app to work better and feel more natural on the iPad.

PS: Hopefully tomorrow answers the question of why Apple's own App Store apps still aren't iPad optimized, save for iBooks, of course.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #3 of 50
its hard to imagine Apple's not working on some sort of HTML5/web framework.
post #4 of 50
I like "AdLib" a heckuva lot better than "iAd", I'll tell you what.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I like "AdLib" a heckuva lot better than "iAd", I'll tell you what.

iAd sounds weird.
post #6 of 50
Man.... I was actually hoping MadLibs was making a 21st Century comeback....

This is clearly NOT what I was expecting AT ALL...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

iAd sounds weird.

Remember how bad everyone said MacBook Air was? What about all the negatives about iPad?
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1)PS: Hopefully tomorrow answers the question of why Apple's own App Store apps still aren't iPad compatible, save for iBooks, of course.

I wasn't aware of this. Please clarify?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I wasn't aware of this. Please clarify?

I should have used the word optimized, not compatible. They run like other iPhone apps in 1x or 2x mode.
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Remember how bad everyone said MacBook Air was? What about all the negatives about iPad?

Macbook Air seems fine. I don't remember criticisms of that.

iPad isn't great, but it's dying down. Apple could have even kept the buzz generated by the name in mind when they named it. I like Gruber's suggestion best; iCanvas. Or just Canvas. People are describing it as a blank canvas anyway, that name would have been great.
post #11 of 50
Quote:

1) I hope this gets applied to MobileMe quickly (as well as their other sites).

2) I hope Google updates their Gmail app to work better and feel more natural on the iPad.

PS: Hopefully tomorrow answers the question of why Apple's own App Store apps still aren't iPad optimized, save for iBooks, of course.

Google has a Gmail web app for the iPad.
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Google has a Gmail web app for the iPad.

Thanks, that's what I'm using. The display formatting is fine, but it isn't auto-updating with new Mail and the scrolling is unnatural feeling compared to Apple's JS. Clearly there are some bugs when compared to the iPhone web app for Gmail.
post #13 of 50
I would be keen on see this woven into XCode released to all developers not just those who pay for the $99 developer fee.

I like developing for the web but I want to learn how to do things standards compliant and have an IDE suited to the task of developing for iPhone, iPad, and desktop and XCode kind of makes the most sense.

At the very least make an awesome version of iWeb to deal with it all.
post #14 of 50
Maybe ADLib stand for "Application Development" Library?
As in rich web applications, that is.
post #15 of 50
There's an ad for that!
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

I would be keen on see this woven into XCode released to all developers not just those who pay for the $99 developer fee.

I like developing for the web but I want to learn how to do things standards compliant and have an IDE suited to the task of developing for iPhone, iPad, and desktop and XCode kind of makes the most sense.

At the very least make an awesome version of iWeb to deal with it all.

The iPhone SDK is always free.
You only need to pay $99 a year if you want early beta releases.
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Are you sure it's per year, and not a one time fee?
post #18 of 50
Quote:

Don't you have to pay the $99 a year to be able to release applications as well?
I have not been clear on this, but it seems to discourage casual development or developing free apps.
post #19 of 50
Quote:

I should have used the word optimized, not compatible. They run like other iPhone apps in 1x or 2x mode.

Thanks. You had me worried there for a moment.
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Don't you have to pay the $99 a year to be able to release applications as well?
I have not been clear on this, but it seems to discourage casual development or developing free apps.

You only have to pay the $99 if you apply for publication. Otherwise it's free. I think that if your app is free, Apple waives the fee.
post #21 of 50
Quote:

It's per year, just like the Mac OS X paid dev packages.

Quote:

Yes, to sell your apps on the App Store is what costs the $99. This payment also gets you the Beta SDKs that were offered for iPad. It will also get you the Beta SDKs for iPhone OS v4.0 for your iPhone/Touch and the accompanying SDK, if history repeats itself.
post #22 of 50
It looks like apple is using their dominance in mobile space to move the web in a more open and standards compliant way, making it much better in the prorcess. I am very happy to see this go on and I hope at least some of this transitions to regular web as well.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #23 of 50
Quote:

Yes, it is $99 per year to maintain Developer status and access to the all the Tools, Betas, etc.

In my case, I will renew in June.
post #24 of 50
Quote:

And that also, but in this case since it is a web framework, you should have no problem publishing it yourself as a web app.

And it is $99 a year, not a one time deal.
post #25 of 50
Quote:

That is true, I do have the iPhone SDK but I can't get hold of the iPad kit though because I'm not a developer.

That being said though I'm thinking of paying for the fee even though I'm not a developer as such. I have a few plans but I just need to workout a few things first.
post #26 of 50
Hi,

Just had a play trying to view this on my Mac. If you go to the URL, apple bumps you back to the main Apple Manuals page. To "Trick" Apple's website into thinking you are on and iPad, do the following

1. Switch on Develop Menu under Advanced settings
3. Under the Development dropdown, go to User Agent/other
4. Paste in the following string

"Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU iPad OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16"

5. Try again to load the URL for iPad help, "http://help.apple.com/ipad/mobile/interface/"
6. Apple's site thinks you're on an iPad!!
post #27 of 50
Quote:

That is true, I do have the iPhone SDK but I can't get hold of the iPad kit though because I'm not a developer.

That being said though I'm thinking of paying for the fee even though I'm not a developer as such. I have a few plans but I just need to workout a few things first.

That's ONLY while it's in Beta. The GM version of iPhone OS 3.2.2 SDK is out and available for DL without paying a $99 developer fee.
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post

Hi,

Just had a play trying to view this on my Mac. If you go to the URL, apple bumps you back to the main Apple Manuals page. To "Trick" Apple's website into thinking you are on and iPad, do the following

"Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU iPad OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16"

5. Try again to load the URL for iPad help, "http://help.apple.com/ipad/mobile/interface/"

Oooh! Tricky!
post #29 of 50
It would be great if there was an easy way for those of use without programming experience to develop content for the iPad. I would like to develop a chemistry "textbook" for my student, but the ePub format is not rich enough and so I need an App similar to Elements. However, I do not know how to program such an App.
post #30 of 50
Quote:

That's ONLY while it's in Beta. The GM version of iPhone OS 3.2.2 SDK is out and available for DL without paying a $99 developer fee.

Hey thanks for the heads up. The last time I looked the SDK was still only beta but I looked at it again and sure enough it's available to all.
post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcworth@charter.net View Post

It would be great if there was an easy way for those of use without programming experience to develop content for the iPad. I would like to develop a chemistry "textbook" for my student, but the ePub format is not rich enough and so I need an App similar to Elements. However, I do not know how to program such an App.

Actually it kind of is because it's all based on XHTML so it's really up to the reader to support the layouts but if you're interested here's a brilliant app that might interest you:

http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

It's a WYSIWYG EBook creator that exports to the EPUB format. You can even hand code if you desire so the layouts are up to you. I'm using it for a documentation tool in order to make documents we need to access at work readable in the likes of Stanza and other EBook readers.
post #32 of 50
I didn't see much mention of it on line. At least not in the Mac forums I frequent. Actually I think I first saw the news on Reddit.

All this stuff coming to light does make you wonder what Apple is up to. Maybe it is a distillation process where they are trying to figure out what works best.

What is even more interesting is that the new release of Sproutcore ought to lead to a redo of Mobile Me. One can hope anyways.

Dave
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcworth@charter.net View Post

It would be great if there was an easy way for those of use without programming experience to develop content for the iPad.

Don't forget you have Safari on the iPad. It wouldn't be that difficult to put together a very usable text book with static HTML pages. Getting the document on to the iPads might be an issue if you don't want to serve it up on a web server. It looks like the issue of getting documents onto the iPad will be addressed soon. Apples dog and pony show ought to clear up the issues around that tomorrow.

In any event it looks like the only alternative programming environment outside of Objective C is JavaScript which is sad if you ask me. I'd love to see Python or MacRuby on iPad. Of course for what you want to do you really want to target something common to most platforms, that would be web browsers.
Quote:
I would like to develop a chemistry "textbook" for my student, but the ePub format is not rich enough and so I need an App similar to Elements.

Chemistry would be tough on any platform as you need so many diagrams and formulas. This may push you away from HTML to PDF. Considering it is Chemistry have you considered installing TeX on you Mac to aid in typsetting? TeX could also generate files in png and other formats to allow inclusion into HTML.
Quote:
However, I do not know how to program such an App.

The question is does a text book have to be an app? There are advantages certainly but they are balanced by the effort required. Actually effort is a relative term here as writing a book of this nature is a lot of work no matter how you do it!!!

Post some extra details.

Dave
post #34 of 50
Quote:

Actually it kind of is because it's all based on XHTML so it's really up to the reader to support the layouts but if you're interested here's a brilliant app that might interest you:

It's a WYSIWYG EBook creator that exports to the EPUB format. You can even hand code if you desire so the layouts are up to you. I'm using it for a documentation tool in order to make documents we need to access at work readable in the likes of Stanza and other EBook readers.

Checking out the app. My biggest complain with the iPad presentation was the lack of an open multimedia format to make textbooks, comic books, magazine et al. available from their iBookstore. i thought the Tunes LP and iTunes Extra felt like a trial for multimedia publications adn had hoped they'd have a great app for publishers to use. Oh well, maybe next year, after all the App Store didn't come right away. If not Apple, someone will get on this as EPUB definitely won't cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I didn't see much mention of it on line. At least not in the Mac forums I frequent. Actually I think I first saw the news on Reddit.

All this stuff coming to light does make you wonder what Apple is up to. Maybe it is a distillation process where they are trying to figure out what works best.

What is even more interesting is that the new release of Sproutcore ought to lead to a redo of Mobile Me. One can hope anyways.

There was also news of the iPhone sales being phenomenal in S. Korea but they didn't cover that either. Oh well, busy week I guess.
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post

Hi,

Hahah! Are you sure your not from around Cupertino someplace?

Another discussion on another thread has a site link that's tracking iPads across the internet, just so happens California has a very high amount of iPads hitting the internet.

http://labs.chitika.com/ipad/

Then of course, you pop up as a first time poster with this neat trick.

No offense, it's just....suspicious...
post #36 of 50
Quote:

You only have to pay the $99 if you apply for publication. Otherwise it's free. I think that if your app is free, Apple waives the fee.

It's really not a good idea to talk with authority about subjects you aren't familiar with. There are enough iPhone developers on these forums (myself included) that you don't need to speculate about this stuff.

The SDK and developer tools are free. The free tools will let you develop an app and test it on the simulator. To test your apps on a real iPhone or iPad, or release apps for the app store, the fee is $99 per year. You have to pay it even if you only release free apps.
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

It's really not a good idea to talk with authority about subjects you aren't familiar with. There are enough iPhone developers on these forums (myself included) that you don't need to speculate about this stuff.

The SDK and developer tools are free. The free tools will let you develop an app and test it on the simulator. To test your apps on a real iPhone or iPad, or release apps for the app store, the fee is $99 per year. You have to pay it even if you only release free apps.

Ditto. Unfortunately some like to 'speculate' as a sign of their knowledge.
post #38 of 50
Ok guys, you don't have to be wiseasses
post #39 of 50
Quote:

EBook readers.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
post #40 of 50
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple creates iPad AdLib framework to join TuneKit, PastryKit