or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end

post #1 of 81
Thread Starter 
Actor Justin Long said Apple's iconic, long-running "Get a Mac" commercials starring himself and John Hodgman may be over, with Apple ready to "move on" from the successful TV campaign.

In an interview with The Onion's A.V. Club, Long, who has appeared in movies such as Drag Me to Hell and Live Free or Die Hard, said he heard from Hodgman that the commercials may be over.

"You know, I think they might be done," he said. "In fact, I heard from John, I think they're going to move on. I can't say definitively, which is sad, because not only am I going to miss doing them, but also working with John. I've become very close with him, and hes one of my dearest, greatest friends."

He continued: "It was so much fun to go do that job, because theres not a lot to it for me. A lot of it is just keeping myself entertained between takes, and there's no one I'd rather do it with than John."

The latest commercials came last October, released to counter the launch of Microsoft's Windows 7. For years, Long has played the role of "Mac" in the commercials, the straight man to Hodgman's bumbling "PC" character. The successful campaign has portrayed Windows PCs as machines that are prone to issues that frustrate consumers., and lack the simplicity and ease of use of the Mac.

The commercials debuted in May 2006 with six TV spots that attacked Windows for being susceptible to viruses and system crashes. It was recognized as the advertising campaign of the decade by Adweek in December.



Years after the commercials debuted, Microsoft attempted to reclaim the catchphrase from Mac commercials, with Windows users proclaiming "I'm a PC." Since the launch of Windows 7, the tagline has been tweaked to become "I'm a PC, and Windows 7 was my idea."
post #2 of 81
Isn't is amazing, as the article points out M$ couldn't even come up with original marketing! They had to try to use Apple's tag lines in some way. They should use something like "30 years of copying others" and at least be honest.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #3 of 81
I am glad they are ending them . Some of the commercials actually blatantly lied(like the one stating only apple had webcams on its products).

Apple should stick to marketing its usability and longevity instead of bashing its competition.

I say Copy your iphone and ipad Ads. Just Show a person turning on the imac or laptop or what ever and using it then at the end flash the Name of the product .
post #4 of 81
... hint that Steve and M$ and back in hand again.

Keep enemies closer.
post #5 of 81
These were great ads, the idea was brilliant and they were executed perfectly, simple and highly effective. I'll miss them.

But I can understand that it might be time to move on. After all, maybe the time has come to sell Apple on its own merits instead of being "not as clunky as a PC". Windows 7 getting a better press than Vista also makes it more difficult to be effective with the "not Windows" argument.

But it is an hard act to follow. After all, find something that is just as easy to connect to as an ordinary (prospective) customer. "Think different" for instance, only alieniates your major target audience. "Get a Mac" made them see Apple as 'more "likable" than Windows', now they need to let people feel that a Mac would be a 'normal' part of their lives without constantly referring to Windows.
post #6 of 81
It's time for a change. But that does not mean the campaign was not brilliant (except maybe the very latest ads).

priceless:
'You are coming to a sad realization, Cancel or Allow'
..... allow
post #7 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I am glad they are ending them . Some of the commercials actually blatantly lied(like the one stating only apple had webcams on its products).

Apple should stick to marketing its usability and longevity instead of bashing its competition.

I say Copy your iphone and ipad Ads. Just Show a person turning on the imac or laptop or what ever and using it then at the end flash the Name of the product .

Which episode did Apple claim that?
post #8 of 81
Well they were superb. I'll miss them.
post #9 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I am glad they are ending them . Some of the commercials actually blatantly lied(like the one stating only apple had webcams on its products).

Apple should stick to marketing its usability and longevity instead of bashing its competition.

I say Copy your iphone and ipad Ads. Just Show a person turning on the imac or laptop or what ever and using it then at the end flash the Name of the product .

Yes, the new iPad ad is great. Last night I replayed it a few times as I saw Mail had a featured I'd missed realizing existed. I jumped on the iPad and sure enough .... So it is educational too

I don't agree the ads ever lied as much as had fun with the truth most times. I will miss them and think they will enter the halls of fame along with "1984". Apple is a creative force indeed!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #10 of 81
just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me. It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.
post #11 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well they were superb. I'll miss them.

Agreed. I've always got a good chuckle out of them. Getting to watch a new one was like adding another item to a collection of baseball cards.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #12 of 81
Hugely successful, rip-roaringly funny, long-lasting (perhaps the longest series in Apple history?), but it's time to move on......
post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hugely successful, rip-roaringly funny, long-lasting (perhaps the longest series in Apple history?), but it's time to move on......

I guess no one does a smear campaign that twists truths better than apple... actually AT&T might take that one...
post #14 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me. It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.

I use both (I assume you do too) and I respectfully disagree with you on the OS comments. However, the change in strategy if probably due to the level of success Apple now enjoy in general and beating up on the competition may now start to be seen as bullying.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #15 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by b real View Post

I guess no one does a smear campaign that twists truths better than apple... actually AT&T might take that one...

Get real, and get a sense of humor.
post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by b real View Post

I guess no one does a smear campaign that twists truths better than apple... actually AT&T might take that one...

Just curious, I truthfully don't know, do Apple users hang out in the forums that support your view point and make stupid and hateful comments all the time? I am fascinated that you feel it is worth the time.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #17 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Agreed. I've always got a good chuckle out of them. Getting to watch a new one was like adding another item to a collection of baseball cards.

Yep, they are classics. I have many but intend to get the complete set and save them for posterity.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, they are classics. I have many but intend to get the complete set and save them for posterity.

Ding Ding Ding.
Looks like an excellent idea for an app. Somebody is going to make some serious vacation money there.
post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

"Think different" for instance, only alienates your major target audience. "Get a Mac" made them see Apple as 'more "likable" than Windows', now they need to let people feel that a Mac would be a 'normal' part of their lives without constantly referring to Windows.

I think the "think different" ads would be more so effective today than they were 20 years ago. I think it should be "live different" that would be cool...
post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just curious, I truthfully don't know, do Apple users hang out in the forums that support your view point and make stupid and hateful comments all the time? I am fascinated that you feel it is worth the time.

Head on over to PC World and view the comments on any article mentioning the iPad to see what a real fanboy is (Windows Fanboys love to live in denial.)
Whatever, stop trolling Apple sites
post #21 of 81
Those commercials were great. I looked forward to each new one that came out. Always a good laugh.
The latest Microsoft commercials, on the other hand, are pretty sad. Although I've been a Mac user since 1988, I am also a Windows user, and have no particular animosity toward MS. But those new MS commercial just get on my nerves!

(ok, the 25 times I've had to clean up PCs for people to get them running again, and the Registry, leaves me with a little animosity)
post #22 of 81
I guess I'll go ahead and be the contrary one. I thought the commercials were mediocre at best. The only part of them any good was John Hodgman. Not sure if the commercials could have survived the first couple with another actor in that position. Still not sure how Justin Long - as boring as he is, could be used to represent a Mac.

Why is Apple so reluctant to show the MacOS interface in their commercials?
post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by b real View Post

I guess no one does a smear campaign that twists truths better than apple... actually AT&T might take that one...

Being both a Mac and PC user, I don't recall them ever really twisting the truth that much at all. Most of the things they described in the ads about PCs, I've experienced my self and were spot on. You wanna talk about twisting the truth, look at some of the laptop hunter adds that MS did. They'd tell you that a 15" laptop PC beat out the MB or MBP on price but offer no details to determine if it was a true apples to apples (no pun intended) comparison.
post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me. It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.

Continue to do what they do best: refine a superior OS.

I have W7 on my Mac Mini (thanks to Parallels) and...it's a kludge. I probably wasted my money.
post #25 of 81
They are great ads in my opinion.

As far as webcams, the iMacs have them and have had them for quite some time.
Apple laptops have had webcams since I think 2007 if I'm not mistaken.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

Continue to do what they do best: refine a superior OS.

I have W7 on my Mac Mini (thanks to Parallels) and...it's a kludge. I probably wasted my money.

Come on thats like me creating a hackentosh and saying osx stinks because its slow.

You cant use windows 7 on a mac virtualized like that and base your experience off of it. I have a powermac with 10.5 that crashes all the time and If i go by your reasoning then macs stink also.
post #27 of 81
They should go out with one big ball busting bang filled with as much misinformation as possible. Like so much so that people will never EVER buy a PC. A commercial so intense that families will sit around together and watch it, and headlines will be dedicated to it.

Here's my idea:

"Hi I'm a Mac" "And I'm :COUGH: a PC"

"What's wrong PC?"

"I have AIDS! PC'S GIVE YOU FULL BLOWN AIDS"

Then the commercial ends with Apple logo and boom, Mac sales through the roof!
post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I have a powermac with 10.5 that crashes all the time and If i go by your reasoning then macs stink also.

I have 10.5 on an iBook and it works fine.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
post #29 of 81
They should transition to "I'm an iPad. And I'm a tablet" commercials. The light, thin iPad and the thicker, heavier Windows tablet are a natural for the same actors.
post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

You collect TV ads for products you like? I've never heard of that.

Do you save the ads for your car? Your breakfast cereal?

Yeah, sort of similar to the self-hating time-wasters who collect pointless negative posts on Apple forums!
post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

They should transition to "I'm an iPad. And I'm a tablet" commercials. The light, thin iPad and the thicker, heavier Windows tablet are a natural for the same actors.

Yeah, they could bring Jeff Goldblum back.
post #32 of 81
Probably a very good move given that the majority of the 'claims' made in the ads are either completely false, or not the least bit representative of modern Windows-based personal computers anyway.

Personally, even as the owner of several Macs, I found them rather off-putting and needlessly smug.... So - Good Riddance!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #33 of 81
Those were very nice ads. I guess we will see one more before they do new ones.


Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I am glad they are ending them . Some of the commercials actually blatantly lied(like the one stating only apple had webcams on its products).

Apple should stick to marketing its usability and longevity instead of bashing its competition.

I say Copy your iphone and ipad Ads. Just Show a person turning on the imac or laptop or what ever and using it then at the end flash the Name of the product .

That ad never claimed such thing. In that ad Mac said every Macbook comes with magnetic power cords and iSight webcams. Nothing about only Macs or only Apple. The ads still available on Apples website.
post #34 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

Those commercials were great. I looked forward to each new one that came out. Always a good laugh.
The latest Microsoft commercials, on the other hand, are pretty sad. Although I've been a Mac user since 1988, I am also a Windows user, and have no particular animosity toward MS. But those new MS commercial just get on my nerves!

(ok, the 25 times I've had to clean up PCs for people to get them running again, and the Registry, leaves me with a little animosity)

Sounds like it's time to move on from that 10 years old PC running Windows 2000
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Yeah, they could bring Jeff Goldblum back.

I just discovered the "Drunk Jeff Goldblum Mac" ads. Apparently they just slow down the ads and it sounds like Jeff Goldblum is drunk. They're hysterical.

Internet

3 Steps

3 Pizzas

post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Probably a very good move given that the majority of the 'claims' made in the ads are either completely false, or not the least bit representative of modern Windows-based personal computers anyway.

Maybe not that representative of modern Windows-based computers (Win 7), but much more representative of XP/Vista. This is speaking from years of personal experience cleaning up and maintaining Windows machines.
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

Continue to do what they do best: refine a superior OS.

I have W7 on my Mac Mini (thanks to Parallels) and...it's a kludge. I probably wasted my money.

I agree... you probably did waste your money on the Mac Mini, as it's really not much of a computer.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I guess I'll go ahead and be the contrary one. I thought the commercials were mediocre at best. The only part of them any good was John Hodgman. Not sure if the commercials could have survived the first couple with another actor in that position. Still not sure how Justin Long - as boring as he is, could be used to represent a Mac.

Why is Apple so reluctant to show the MacOS interface in their commercials?

Why would you want to show the MacOS interface. There's nothing to see. It's just an interface. You can see it in any TV show, if you really want to see it. Most TV shows show off Macs.

The best part of the "Get a Mac" adds were they were simple and translated the computer experience to something anyone could understand, real life. They also had good comedic timing.
post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I just discovered the "Drunk Jeff Goldblum Mac" ads. Apparently they just slow down the ads and it sounds like Jeff Goldblum is drunk. They're hysterical.

Internet


Hilarious
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, sort of similar to the self-hating time-wasters who collect pointless negative posts on Apple forums!

That has to be one of the lamest/weakest comebacks in the entire history of this forum...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end