or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end

Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me.

Uhm, no. They've already made all the points necessary regarding the problems of Windows, people already know this, so there's nothing much left to be said on the matter. Apple is also no longer viewed as the underdog, but more the alpha male, so it's time for them to assume that role.

Quote:
It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.

And yes.

My guess would be that they are most likely to follow in the pattern of the iPhone ads, which are, I think, very effective at showing people the ways in which the iPhone can enhance their lives. Then again, they may have some even better ideas in the works.
post #42 of 81
My favorite ad was the one with Giselle representing iMovie (I assume it was iMovie and not Final Cut Studio) and some dude dressed as a woman looking like crap representing MovieMaker (assuming they were targeting MovieMaker). She's not all that for my tastes, but far superior to the PC product.
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Why would you want to show the MacOS interface. There's nothing to see. It's just an interface. You can see it in any TV show, if you really want to see it. Most TV shows show off Macs.

The best part of the "Get a Mac" adds were they were simple and translated the computer experience to something anyone could understand, real life. They also had good comedic timing.

Comment on the underlined part. It's my experience that Dells are used on TV shows more than Macs. Sometimes they cover up the logo, but you can definitely tell it's a Dell.

Granted, we probably watch different shows though.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I say Copy your iphone and ipad Ads. Just Show a person turning on the imac or laptop or what ever and using it then at the end flash the Name of the product .

They won't go that simple. Hopefully. What they need is something more like showing a specific and stated group using macs. Like how they do those highlights on their site. But in viral and ad form. They could even do something where they have a 4 part video and run each part in order during the ad breaks on a particular show. Especially if they could try it thematically to the show.

actually they could do the same thing with the ipad. they are on that direction with the shopper, concert etc ads for the iphone

Also I suspect I know the truth with the rumors. Contracts. THey are up, they have no more renewals built in and doing a new one would cost Apple a small fortune cause these guys are bigger than they were before. So Apple is considering not continuing.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Uhm, no. They've already made all the points necessary regarding the problems of Windows, people already know this, so there's nothing much left to be said on the matter. Apple is also no longer viewed as the underdog, but more the alpha male, so it's time for them to assume that role.

In a way, you're both right. Windows 7 did take care of most of the "issues" that the Mac ads use against the PC when MS put Vista out as the "flagship" Windows. And there are only so many ways you can rehash the same things before it just becomes stale and has the TV audience just rolling their eyes at yet another "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" commercial.

Like you said, Apple said what it had to say and now there's no need to keep saying it.
post #46 of 81
Quote:

just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me. It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.

Keep drinking that kool-aid!
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by b real View Post

I guess no one does a smear campaign that twists truths better than apple... actually AT&T might take that one...

iDon't comes to mind.

Not to mention Verizon's map ad wasn't completely truthful either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

The other possibility is that Apple is less interested in the Mac now that they are a mobile device company.

Apple is not a mobile device company (in the sense they are dropping their computers). they are both.

That said, they will likely focus a lot of ad more on the mobiles, not because they like them more, but because they are the gateway. A good chunk of Apple's revenue comes from bring over switchers and bring in those that wouldn't consider a computer, like the older gens. A big iMac is kind of scary. A little ipad not so much. The ads draw them into the store to look at the little things, that curiosity makes them wander around. They start thinking about how they were already talking about replacing that slow old PC, or maybe they don't need the grandsons to help them back up an ipad (if they got it). and so on.

post #48 of 81
Quote:

Blah blah blah...

Sorry, but none of your points make any sense.
post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

iDon't comes to mind.

Not to mention Verizon's map ad wasn't completely truthful either

Kind of yes. They used slightly older 3G coverage maps for AT&T, but they weren't too far off. I do think they could have at least color coded the 3G vs 2G coverage for AT&T, but that would defeat the purpose of the 3G coverage comparisons.
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Kind of yes. They used slightly older 3G coverage maps for AT&T, but they weren't too far off. I do think they could have at least color coded the 3G vs 2G coverage for AT&T, but that would defeat the purpose of the 3G coverage comparisons.

not to mention

They were using a pure geographical map where some of their coverage areas were lower in population, where ATT looks at it in terms of population not map

The speeds of 3g for the two companies are not the same, because 3g isn't a standardized term.

etc.

all details left out because they muddy up the waters of saying they are better than ATT

just like folks are saying Apple did in the Get a Mac ads. Just like folks say Microsoft did in the laptop hunter ads

post #51 of 81
Quote:

You collect TV ads for products you like? I've never heard of that.

Do you save the ads for your car? Your breakfast cereal?

I am in the business, I make TV ads for a business as well as TV shows for ESPN etc.. Hence collecting the best is a good idea. Why the need to be sarcastic? Tell me what you do so I can try to think of some smart ass comments too. On second thoughts don't bother I wouldn't stoop nor waste the time.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #52 of 81
I'm going to miss the John hodgeman ads, they were brilliant and I loved them, truly wonderful piece of work they were. Ah well, Apple has become much bigger than its competitors when it comes to quality consumer products, and everyone is trying to keep pace with them and failing at it. So its time Apple moved on and sit in that chair above its competitors all the while continuing to lead the charge in innovation, ease of use and quality.
post #53 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Why is Apple so reluctant to show the MacOS interface in their commercials?

First rule of sales: sell benefits, not features.
Second rule of sales: differentiate
Third rule of sales: sell lifestyle, not products

In a 30 second TV commercial, it's very difficult to differentiate on UI. And the truth is, from a static point of view, Windows and MacOS isn't that different and I would claim that Windows even has some advantages (better mini-Finder, etc.)

Apple has been absolutely brilliant on all three rules listed above. They focused on users' frustrations with the PC experience, they differentiated the Mac and they positioned the Mac as the machine of younger, calmer, cooler people as opposed to Hodgman's unstylish, uptight and out-of-shape character. And Apple was brilliant at balancing ease of use and hipness of design. (If you only focus on supposed ease of use, you wind up being AOL.)

But Microsoft hasn't done so badly either. While derivative and not totally credible (at least not to me), their "I'm a PC" campaign has attempted to reclaim the creative community. If Apple had executed that campaign, we'd all be praising it as a positive campaign that shows real users using real Macs in the real world.

And as others have noted, there was one troubling aspect to Apple's campaign: it focused more on what was wrong with a PC than what was right about the Mac. So while it was tremendously effective, it may be time to say goodbye to it. I think what Apple should focus on now is their ecosystem. It's the ecosystem that has made Apple the unbelievable success that it is. (52 week low on the stock is 115; it's 239 today. Not bad for a recession and for a product line that is considered to be overpriced.)
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

Head on over to PC World and view the comments on any article mentioning the iPad to see what a real fanboy is (Windows Fanboys love to live in denial.)
Whatever, stop trolling Apple sites

Yep....you are right about that. I use both Operating Systems andf love them both. But I am a Mac most a forfront. But if think everyone here drinks some kind of Apple koolaid........you should checkout some of the Windows sites.... they drink Microsift koolaid over there. So if you are on a Apple fan site expect a Apple slanted opinion fan base and vice versa.

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #55 of 81
My favorite one ever, and I still watch it when I need a good laugh, is "Choose a Vista" where PC spins the wheel and gets, "Lose a turn" and Mac says, "Didn't you make this?"

It's like when Windows when it crashes and working with a person from Microsoft. "Didn't you make this?" I can help but laugh. He knows about the ad and that I am a Mac person.
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

First rule of sales

First rule of rules: Too many rules....lol
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

...It's my experience that Dells are used on TV shows more than Macs. Sometimes they cover up the logo, but you can definitely tell it's a Dell.....

Dunno.. probably product placement, and sometimes it's because that's the actual computer they use!! Apple has developed such a strong brand though; strong marketing + great products.

Funny how MSFT hired Seinfeld as a response, and MSFT stopped their ads.
post #58 of 81
Quote:

You collect TV ads for products you like? I've never heard of that.

Do you save the ads for your car? Your breakfast cereal?

I have a original sales brochure for my 86 Jeep Cj7. Most people think its pretty cool when I show it to them. Both the Jeep and the brochure.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

They should go out with one big ball busting bang filled with as much misinformation as possible. Like so much so that people will never EVER buy a PC. A commercial so intense that families will sit around together and watch it, and headlines will be dedicated to it.

Here's my idea:

"Hi I'm a Mac" "And I'm :COUGH: a PC"

"What's wrong PC?"

"I have AIDS! PC'S GIVE YOU FULL BLOWN AIDS"

Then the commercial ends with Apple logo and boom, Mac sales through the roof!

Ouch. My sides hurt from laughter. Damn you!
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple should stick to marketing its usability and longevity instead of bashing its competition.

I say Copy your iphone and ipad Ads. Just Show a person turning on the imac or laptop or what ever and using it then at the end flash the Name of the product .

I think those ads were quite effective. But you are right about leaning over and showing your neighbour how easy it is to do stuff on an Apple product. They will say "wow that is cool" all by themselves.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I have a original sales brochure for my 86 Jeep Cj7. Most people think its pretty cool when I show it to them. Both the Jeep and the brochure.

I have an original circa 1981 sales brochure for the (pre-Mac) Apple II line. Most people think it's pretty cool when I show it to them....both the Apples and the brochure...but they're SHOCKED at the prices, especially when translated into today's dollars.
post #62 of 81
Quote:

I dunno. This is all guesswork.

Truer words were never spoken .... congrats!
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #63 of 81
Good. I was never a fan of those commercials. They're very well made and well acted of course but I prefer the iPhone ad campaign that just shows off how good the product is.
post #64 of 81
I will be sorry to see them end. They were great. But again as a lot of people have said , time to move on. I sure they will be replaced with something even more elegant and fun.
post #65 of 81
I, trying to be as objective as possible, am very glad the commercials are going by the way side. Although extremely effective, they were IMO misleading to the average consumer, their target audience, like I said effective.

The problem is Apple has somehow mis-directed the world to make people believe that a Mac is magic box that doesn't have all the same architecture as a PC... The commercials need to focus on the true difference, the OS, and justify why the average consumer should spend an extra premium on the same hardware that could be bought for less on an IBM compatible machine. As well as justify why the consumer should spend that premium on very outdated hardware.

I also don't think it is fair to directly correlate every PC to Windows when one could just as easily use Linux, based on the same UNIX structure as OSX.

Sorry about the rant.
post #66 of 81
Quote:

You are stalking me. What's up with that?

How did you know he was talking about you?

Oh, wait. He referred to "self-hating time-wasters who collect pointless negative posts on Apple forums!"... I guess it was obvious.

Never mind.

Quote:

They are hardly the alpha male when it comes to computer sales. More like the runt of the litter.

Right. Apple is the #5 computer vendor in the world. They have 90% of the sale of systems over $1,000. The rest of the industry's main selling point for the past 15 years has been 'more like a Mac'.

Runt of the litter, indeed.

Quote:

If so, please refute my points.

As soon as you come up with any rational ones.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo with the Weirdo View Post

I, trying to be as objective as possible, am very glad the commercials are going by the way side. Although extremely effective, they were IMO misleading to the average consumer, their target audience, like I said effective.

The problem is Apple has somehow mis-directed the world to make people believe that a Mac is magic box that doesn't have all the same architecture as a PC... The commercials need to focus on the true difference, the OS, and justify why the average consumer should spend an extra premium on the same hardware that could be bought for less on an IBM compatible machine. As well as justify why the consumer should spend that premium on very outdated hardware.

I also don't think it is fair to directly correlate every PC to Windows when one could just as easily use Linux, based on the same UNIX structure as OSX.

Sorry about the rant.

Except that the user who is being targeted with these ads doesn't know that there's even such a thing as an OS. They see what's on the screen and that is the computer to them.

Apple has NEVER considered Linux users to be their target audience. They're different extremes of the spectrum.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #68 of 81
Every time I see a MS ad that uses the "I'm a PC" line, I am reminded of the Apple ads and get this feeling that MS wants to portray themselves as some sort of victimized group that has been insulted by Apple. As if these PCs are people that we should feel sorry for, and look at these poor PCs, finally standing up for the respect that has been eluding them for so long.

It's just too much!

Why not just improve their product, maybe innovate? Instead it's this passive aggressive taking back of the PC epithet.
post #69 of 81
....as the current Microsoft TV ads are (and they are BAD, not just by Apple's standard, but by ALL TV ads standards in general), I believe the blame should go to the ad agency who came up with this lame concept, as much as it should go to the MS execs who picked the ad agency....and of course, the execs who actually approved of the ads....

Microsoft....as unsatisfying an experience as lip-syncing.
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Comment on the underlined part. It's my experience that Dells are used on TV shows more than Macs. Sometimes they cover up the logo, but you can definitely tell it's a Dell.

Granted, we probably watch different shows though.

House
Heroes
CSI-NY
CSI-Miami
Numbers
Without a Trace
... etc...
post #71 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo with the Weirdo View Post

Sorry about the rant.

You just FAILED marketting 101. You're thinking what you (like all us geeks) want to see, not what your audience wants to see. A good part of the targetted audience are people that don't know anything about their computers and don't want to. So as you put Apple's "magic box" is the perfect concept, as the target audience doesn't care what's inside, as long as it does what it should without without problems.

Second, Apple doesn't win by talking about price. It's not about price, it's about how easy it works, plain and simple.
post #72 of 81
With the touch UI, the distinction between Apple and Microsoft et al. becomes self-evident, and to continue advertising in that vein becomes passe. Abandonment of the "I'm a Mac" advertising theme is consistent with hefty migration of touch UI features to the iMac and MacBook series of "appliances". Any advertisement of the touch UI becomes an advertisement of a much larger proportion of Apple's entire product line, making those advertising dollars much more efficient and helping to distance Apple even farther from the "competition".

Simultaneously, Microsoft's "I'm a PC" ads will seem completely backwater. (Thank goodness we won't have to see those painful ads anymore.)
post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

You just FAILED marketting 101. You're thinking what you (like all us geeks) want to see, not what your audience wants to see. A good part of the targetted audience are people that don't know anything about their computers and don't want to. So as you put Apple's "magic box" is the perfect concept, as the target audience doesn't care what's inside, as long as it does what it should without without problems.

Second, Apple doesn't win by talking about price. It's not about price, it's about how easy it works, plain and simple.

Probably why I'm a biochemist and not in marketing, haha. You make a good point and it has worked for them so far.

Now I'm just curious what the next strategy is going to be seen at every commercial break.
post #74 of 81
Quote:

just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me. It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.

I've got some slightly used Enron stock that you will probably want to buy as well...
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

Every time I see a MS ad that uses the "I'm a PC" line, I am reminded of the Apple ads and get this feeling that MS wants to portray themselves as some sort of victimized group that has been insulted by Apple. As if these PCs are people that we should feel sorry for, and look at these poor PCs, finally standing up for the respect that has been eluding them for so long.

What bugs me about MS using the "I'm a PC" tagline is that they've completely missed the point of the Apple ads.

Then again, so do many people on the Mac side. I have a T-Shirt from Mac World to prove it.

Long and Hodgman are not portraying a Mac User and a PC User, they are actually representing a Mac and a PC. "PC" doesn't have a problem with his computer crashing, he crashes himself. "Mac" doesn't have a computer with the features he mentions, he has those features himself. MS just don't seem to get the metaphor.

Also, the Windows 7 was my idea ads? You think MS are stealing your ideas while you sleep because you thought of some basic functionality that they decided to implement? Maybe you should sue them. Or at least wear a tinfoil hat at night.
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anome View Post

What bugs me about MS using the "I'm a PC" tagline is that they've completely missed the point of the Apple ads.

Then again, so do many people on the Mac side. I have a T-Shirt from Mac World to prove it.

Long and Hodgman are not portraying a Mac User and a PC User, they are actually representing a Mac and a PC. "PC" doesn't have a problem with his computer crashing, he crashes himself. "Mac" doesn't have a computer with the features he mentions, he has those features himself. MS just don't seem to get the metaphor.

I know... this bugs the crap outta me. Every time I hear someone say "I'm a PC" I tell them they need to get some professional counseling, because they are in fact human... ignorant or stupid ones, but human none the less.
post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, they are classics. I have many but intend to get the complete set and save them for posterity.

Here they are, conveniently all in one place...

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/get-...-campaign.html
post #78 of 81
Interesting sidelight on how this thread played out today. One user, who only made his first post on April 4, managed to get himself banned in four days after 253 posts, of which 18 among the first 90 on this thread today were his in less than a four-hour period. That'll happen when you camp under the basket and throw elbows at any and all comers, simply for the sake of a fight. Sic semper tyrranis.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Interesting sidelight on how this thread played out today. One user, who only made his first post on April 4, managed to get himself banned in four days after 253 posts, of which 18 among the first 90 on this thread today were his in less than a four-hour period. That'll happen when you camp under the basket and throw elbows at any and all comers, simply for the sake of a fight. Sic semper tyrranis.

Actually, I don't think that was a new user. I think he just started with a new nickname on April 4. That seems to be fairly standard practice for some of the Apple-haters here.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, I don't think that was a new user. I think he just started with a new nickname on April 4. That seems to be fairly standard practice for some of the Apple-haters here.

Point well taken. In that case, there's an individual with some even more substantial emotional and behavioral problems.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end