or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple iPhone OS 4.0 to introduce Multitasking, 100 other features

Apple iPhone OS 4.0 to introduce Multitasking, 100 other features

post #1 of 268
Due this summer, iPhone OS 4 will deliver multitasking as a way to run background apps that the user can quickly switch between.

The new feature was highlighted by Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs as one of the top 7 "tent pole" features of the new release, along with 100 other user features and hundreds of new features for developers to leverage in their apps.

"We weren't the first to this party," Jobs said of the new multitasking feature, "but we're going to be the best. Just like cut and paste."

"iPhone OS 4 provides multitasking to third party apps while preserving battery life and foreground app performance, which has until now proved elusive on mobile devices," Apple said in a press release.

The new feature enables users to launch multiple background apps, and then from any running app (or from the Home screen), call up a "multitasking tray" of the currently running apps, which the user can then immediately switch to.

Jobs demonstrated jumping back and forth between the iPhone's Safari browser and Mail, then jumped into a running game to continue from the previous game.

How Multitasking works in iPhone 4.0

Apple's Senior Vice President of iPhone software Scott Forstall appeared on stage to explain how the company had added multitasking without incurring a performance hit. iPhone 4 will add seven different multitasking services APIs for developers, he explained, each tuned to solve different multitasking scenarios.

Background Audio

One, demonstrated by Pandora's Internet radio streaming app, will allow apps like it to play music in the background, with playback controls available even at the lock screen.

Voice over IP

A second example involves VoIP, which enables apps like Skype to continue to receive calls even when the calling app is not the foreground app.

Background Location

A third mechanism is background location, which can be used by direction apps such as TomTom or social media apps like Loopt. Rather than constantly polling GPS (something that kills the battery rapidly) the new system calculates location from cellular sites

Push Notifications and Local Notifications

A fourth and fifth enhancement relates to Apple's existing push notification service and a new "local notifications" service that allows apps to post reminders or other events without using Apple's servers.

Task Completion

A sixth feature, task completion, will enable an app to start a job and continue working on it after the user leaves the app. And example given cited an app posting photos to Flicker, which continued working after the user left that app.

Fast App Switching

The seventh multitasking mechanism is fast app switching, which "allows you to restore the state of an app when you switch out and back," is the easiest to implement, essentially freezing the progress of an app such as a game while the user handles another task in another app.

iPhone and iPod touch model support

The iPhone 4 update will bring multitasking features to the existing 2009 iPhone 3GS and 3G iPod touch models with 32 and 64GB of storage. Earlier models from 2008 (iPhone 3G and the 2G iPod touch, as well as the low end 2009 models based on those designs) will be able to install the iPhone 4 update but will not be able to use multitasking because those devices lack the system RAM and processing power required.

The original iPhone and iPod touch models from 2007 will apparently not be supported by iPhone 4. At its release, they will be four years old.

Apple said "a version of iPhone OS 4 will be coming to iPad this Fall."
post #2 of 268
Very Cool, and did anyone else happen to notice that the screen on that iPhone they're displaying looks to (finally) be 16:9?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #3 of 268
I noticed the screen to be a bit "long" as well. looks good.
post #4 of 268
Before the sarcasm begins: what Apple has done to make this different from every other phones multitasking, is to provide API's that allow the app to only use the resources that it requires. So that app doesn't hog up more than it needs.
post #5 of 268
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/l...ne-os-4-event/

10:15AM "Now we weren't the first to this party, but we're gonna be the best. Just like cut and paste."

But Apple innovates, is always original, and never gets features from others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /s

Straight from Jobs' mouth. Double tap to see all running programs in a "dock". Hmm, wonder where we've seen that before? Absolutely 100% from Android.

Now everyone say it with me: Thanks Google!

[Edit]: Local Notifications, Task Completion, Fast App Switching, and now Folders -- wow, this is starting to look like a total ripoff of Android, except they don't have cutesy names for them. It's just there.
post #6 of 268
Apple's 'folders' feature looks/functions very much the same as it does on Android 2.x, which is a good thing, because on my DROID it's fantastic.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #7 of 268
I don't care how the whole 'iAds' thing is spun, they're annoying to the vast majority of users.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #8 of 268
The only thing I am worried about is the iAd thing. If I have to look at ads to make an app free that is cool but I refuse to look at ads on anything I paid for.
post #9 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I don't care how the whole 'iAds' thing is spun, they're annoying to the vast majority of users.

The only ones any more annoyed by iAds than the current ads will be Google. Everyone else, less so.
post #10 of 268
From what they are demoing the ads are of much higher quality that what is available now on iPhone apps and they provide information on the product and how to purchase it.

Quote:

post #11 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve jobs

We werent the first to this party but were going to be the best, just like cut and paste, said Apple CEO Steve Jobs, alluding to the fact that cut-and-paste hadnt been available until a year after the first iPhone launched. Its really easy to implement multitasking in a way that drains battery life. If you dont do it just right your phones going to feel sluggish and your battery life is going to go way down. Weve figured out how to implement multitasking of third-party apps and avoid those things.

There is such a load of pretentious bullshit in this statement. Steve Jobs is SUCH a douche.

Copy and paste in iphone isn't better, it's just different. While playing the ipad I played with the copy and paste feature and I did not like it.

As far as multitasking goes, I've already shown numerous people on many occasions how my battery life is NOT effected while running up to 10 apps (all doing some kind of function in the background.)

I know people would rather take every word this guy says as truth than to actually listen to someone like me, but he's honestly selling you bullshit. He's no better than Glenn Beck.
post #12 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

From what they are demoing the ads are of much higher quality that what is available now on iPhone apps and they provide information on the product and how to purchase it.

It's certainly an interesting 'twist', but I certainly don't want any semblance of them in my paid apps, for free apps it's not that much of an issue - IMO
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #13 of 268
As though any one expects you to say anything different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

There is such a load of pretentious bullshit in this statement. Steve Jobs is SUCH a douche.
post #14 of 268
They are intended for free apps, but its up to the developer.

Quote:

It's certainly an interesting 'twist', but I certainly don't want any semblance of them in my paid apps, for free apps it's not that much of an issue - IMO
post #15 of 268
Quote:

Before the sarcasm begins: what Apple has done to make this different from every other phones multitasking, is to provide API's that allow the app to only use the resources that it requires. So that app doesn't hog up more than it needs.

I always believed they were waiting to do it right. The others all rushed it just to be seen to have a better feature than iPhone. Few are lucky enough to own a magic phone like Chronster who can run ten apps on his multi-tasking phone with zero increase in power consumption.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #16 of 268
11:02AM "We are releasing it for end users for iPhone and iPod touch for users this summer. For the 3GS and iPod touch 3rd gen. And, for iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2nd gen, they will run many things... but there are some things they won't run, like multitasking."

/COUGHFRAGMENTATIONCOUGHCOUGH
post #17 of 268
Ads are ads. There is no such thing as 'more or less' annoying. Anyone with a brain should see them for the intrusion they are. If anything, the idea behind these ads is more evil than usual, since they'll be unavoidable, and better able to lull the user into thinking that something malevolent and coercive is actually personal and helpful.
post #18 of 268
Quote:

They look more fun than many free apps But I agree with you on the paid for apps.
post #19 of 268
One thing I'm hoping is that Apple rethinks the icon spacing on the iPad i.e. something more akin to the iPhone.

We currently have 2 in the house, and my 64gb/3g is due at the end of the month, and we all find that there's just too much emptiness between icons on the device.

We'll see if they address this...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #20 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post

Ads are ads. There is no such thing as 'more or less' annoying. Anyone with a brain should see them for the intrusion they are. If anything, the idea behind these ads is more evil than usual, since they'll be unavoidable, and better able to lull the user into thinking that something malevolent and coercive is actually personal and helpful.

Exactly. Just because Apple is behind it doesn't make it better. Dog s**t is still dog s**t! I don't want ads on my 3.5" screen no matter who's behind it.
post #21 of 268
Quote:

If you try a free app or even keep using one why should you be angry that the developer gets to eat?
post #22 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Glenn Beck? I believe your Chronic Apple Indignation has driven you mad.

Now that Apple addressed most of the trolls whining points. The trolls will go back to "Apple Sucks" statements.
post #23 of 268
Quote:

So don't click them or buy the non-ad supported version of the title. And while you may have formed your own opinion, please don't align the "vast majority" of users with it. I seriously doubt you know the vast majority of users out there and have asked them for their opinion.

To me, it seems like a fairly useful and informative ad system; if you run across a product you're interested in, you can get all the information you need without leaving the application and dragging you into the web browser.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #24 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If you try a free app or even keep using one why should you be angry that the developer gets to eat?

I don't believe I said a word about anyone's dietary habits. If the developer can find no better way to monetize his app, it was probably not worth the download. In fact, I've already deleted several 'free' apps from this shiny little iPad because they were nothing much more than ad trojans. As the end user, my job is to pay for apps that do a job for me - not to be tricked into paying for crap.
post #25 of 268
What a complete JOKE. I have been a loyal apple'ist for ages... but this is the final straw. SCREW IT
post #26 of 268
Quote:

I didn't see anything that seemed to indicate that these ads would be any more "unavoidable" than current ads.

I don't much like advertising, but given that ad supported content is a reality, Apple's scheme doesn't appear to make things either better or worse for the enduser.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #27 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcotten View Post

What a complete JOKE. I have been a loyal apple'ist for ages... but this is the final straw. SCREW IT

Oh give me a break. The iPhone 3G has half the RAM as the 3GS if I recall correctly. Multitasking would likely CHOKE!

I can't believe you registered just to post that...
post #28 of 268
Quote:

Yes, thank you for registering to let us know you're done with Apple. You join the ranks of thousands of single post "Apple has really crossed a line this time they're dead to me" folks before you.
post #29 of 268
So, reading between the lines re multitasking, some guesses on how it will be implemented:

1. I think for most apps what they've added is more akin to suspending than multitasking. The OS saves the entire state of the app, and then swaps it back in to RAM when the user wants to switch back.

2. In addition, there will be specific services via some published APIs that can actually get some CPU time. Background music, push notifications, location change callbacks, network streaming (like the photo upload example they gave) and ???. I doubt you will be able to design your app to truly continue running in the background, calculating pi or whatever.
post #30 of 268
Quote:

Well... Sometimes to move technology forward, some things (e.g. less capable devices) have to be left behind.

It's not like the iPhone 2g/3g is going to lose any of its current functionality, and if these new 'features' had not been announced, there'd be little/no complaint anyway.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #31 of 268
Quote:

Yes, thank you for registering to let us know you're done with Apple. You join the ranks of thousands of single post "Apple has really crossed a line this time they're dead to me" folks before you.

Here's post #2, if you're counting.

I guess it's the same reasoning behind not having the iPhone 2G MMS? Or not supporting Flash on the iPad, even though it's touted as the ultimate web browsing device? I've been a huge supporter of Apple.. I love their products. I have a 24" iMac, an iPhone 2G, 3G, Macbook, Macbook Pro, Powerbook from back in the day... but at some point, you have to realize that they're just having us bend over for them.
post #32 of 268
Quote:

I've already deleted several 'free' apps from this shiny little iPad because they were nothing much more than ad trojans. As the end user, my job is to pay for apps that do a job for me - not to be tricked into paying for crap.

I'm not sure I understand your problem? How exactly did you pay for the free application!?
post #33 of 268
Quote:

Very Cool, and did anyone else happen to notice that the screen on that iPhone they're displaying looks to (finally) be 16:9?

I think you are just imagining things with your eyes or the picture is distorted or something. It looks the same to me.

Also, 16:10 (the current ratio) is more "natural" and if the resolution of the new iPhone screen part is going to be exactly doubled from the current one (as we have been told already), then it isn't really likely at all that they are moving to 16:9.
post #34 of 268
Quote:

Nope. Not enough memory. Not sure why this was a surprise to anyone, unless you just don't understand what multitasking is and how it works.
post #35 of 268
Quote:

Well... Sometimes to move technology forward, some things (e.g. less capable devices) have to be left behind.

It's not like the iPhone 2g/3g is going to lose any of its current functionality, and if these new 'features' had not been announced, there'd be little/no complaint anyway.

#3:

I've been complaining about no multi-tasking for ages, but have been assured my pals at the Apple Store that "it's coming." And when it does, it doesn't even support an iPhone model that they are CURRENTLY SELLING.
post #36 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post

I noticed the screen to be a bit "long" as well. looks good.

There was an image a couple months ago showing a longer and thinner G4 iPhone. it looked wonky to me, but it could be real. The only problem is with the previous two models using 3:2. I have to assume that the simplest answer is that Apple thought out the future of the display ratio well in advance so they wouldn't have to change it, cost them, the devs and users in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

TCopy and paste in iphone isn't better, it's just different.

You're right, it's different because it's the only one that works the same throughout the entire system regardless of the item of field. In other words, it's the only one that is complete. That a difference people tend to like over the half-assed versions on Android and WebOS.

Quote:
As far as multitasking goes, I've already shown numerous people on many occasions how my battery life is NOT effected while running up to 10 apps (all doing some kind of function in the background.)

Battery life and performance are affected. Using APIs is the only intelligent option. Watch how the other platforms fall in line behind Apple once again.

Quote:

How long before Android and MS announce the same thing? If I go with Teckstudian logic the idea for multi-tasking APIs instead of rampant backgrounding of all apps were my idea from over a year ago and Apple should give me money.

Quote:

How dare Apple allow devs to [Ic]hoose[/I] a more interactive ads that make the app more enjoyable and help keep the app free over simply allowing them to go with weaker ad banners that may force them charge for their apps. The nerve! \
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #37 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I'm not I understand the problem? How exactly did you pay for the free application!?

I was thinking the same thing
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #38 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I'm not sure I understand your problem? How exactly did you pay for the free application!?

I'm not sure about you, son, but my time is worth money. I get irritated when people steal it.
post #39 of 268
Quote:

I guess it's the same reasoning behind not having the iPhone 2G MMS?

Memory had nothing to do with lack of MMS in the original iPhone... it was the cell radio used that prevented it from being possible, so it was a hardware issue.
post #40 of 268
Quote:

#3:

I've been complaining about no multi-tasking for ages, but have been assured my pals at the Apple Store that "it's coming." And when it does, it doesn't even support an iPhone model that they are CURRENTLY SELLING.

128MB in the 3G model, 256MB in the 3GS. The 3G already gets slowdowns and Safari page refreshes just from having iPod running and other switching between apps.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple iPhone OS 4.0 to introduce Multitasking, 100 other features