or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple iPhone OS 4.0 to introduce Multitasking, 100 other features

Apple iPhone OS 4.0 to introduce Multitasking, 100 other features - Page 5

post #161 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

I bet you are correct. Although having every app's state saved would tend to chew up a lot of storage if you have a lot of apps.

I would guess the app state is only stored in RAM. Basically the app gets no more processor time allocated to it. Then when it is switched to the foreground the OS starts allocating CPU to the app. Maybe they implement some new API for this, but I can't see why. You can do it just by blocking all the app threads. And that at least keeps all existing applications compatible with it. And any app that is using too much RAM in the background gets killed just like they do now.
post #162 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Memory had nothing to do with lack of MMS in the original iPhone... it was the cell radio used that prevented it from being possible, so it was a hardware issue.

What on earth are you on about? It's not the radio. If the cellular radio of iPhone 1.0 could do cellular data, it could do MMS. MMS is retrieved as a regular data download after being notified of its existance via SMS. Technically it could even be done via WiFi or LAN as long as the SMS notification is tranferred first. The fact that it didn't is entirely software related.

Don't try overly hard to find reasons for features not being there. It's propably muchmuch simpler. It is more likely one of a) not enough time to implement or b) arrogantly thinking "nobody wants/needs it if I don't use it" or both. Think about good to-do list handling vs. emailing your to-do tasks to yourself as another example.

Same with multitasking. If you look at competing implementations, this particular implementation of Apple's as currently presented didn't bring anything really different to the table. Sure the marketing claims so, but the lack of detail doesn't convice (yet). Yet many are drawing conclusions that it must be without a) seeing it in action and b) having the possibility to compare and properly analyse for example battery consumption. A really big part of battery consumption btw is data traffic (over 200mA vs. under 5mA).

The "dock" is very very similar to implementations found in other phones for years (the often cursed Symbian for example). Until more technical details become available, I wouldn't be swallowing the fish Steve is offering without first chewing on it for a while. It looks interesting, but I want the details behind the marketing BS and real comparisons instead of wishful thinking (that it is more than multitasking with eye candy and good marketing). That'll propably have to wait until summer.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted them to bring something really new and innovative. At the moment I just don't see too much of it (though multitasking in itself is a good addition). That may just as well be a limit of my eyesight or the lack of technical detail given.

Regs, Jarkko
post #163 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Just curious, but do you think that Apple just totally screwed up and accidentally used a graphic of their soon-to-be-announced widescreen iPhone, or do you think they did it on purpose to see if anyone would notice?

I'm pretty sure it was done intentionally... you know how Apple loves to keep the gadget-masses talking
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #164 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Your effort is sincerely appreciated, but the discrepancy that you noted is simply not enough to account for the dramatic difference between the the display device featured on the slides, and the iPod 3GS sitting right in front of.

We'll See Soon Enough... until then let's just agree to disagree

It's called perspective.

We'll see.
post #165 of 268
They did explain it. The apps use built in API's that only allow the apps to use minimum system resources to perform its job.

So when Pandora is playing in the background its using an audio API that only allows Pandora to stream and play audio, the OS does not allow Pandora to waste system resources performing any other superfluous tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

I perked right up when Steve started in on battery life and sluggish performance. I thought the next guy was going to explain how they avoid it while multitasking. But he never went into it in any depth. Indeed, he never once mentioned those topics.

Maybe the message was implicit in the demos, but I'd appreciate it if somebody could explicate things.
post #166 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Windows Phone 7 isn't out yet so there is no applicable OS from MS to compare. So far, they don't even have a traditional copy/paste design for WP7, it simply forces you to move the content to the next app bypassing the clipboard altogether. Despite this limitation it's more intuitive and complete than anything Android or WebOS are shipping.

Well I'm speaking of WM 6.5.

If what MS says is true, where the OS predicts what you'll do with something you otherwise would copy and paste, then they are thinking REALLY outside the box, or they are thinking up their own asses. For instance, while browsing the web, checking email, or if I get a text message and I see an address I want to plug into another app (like navigation for instance) will the OS list all the possible apps I'd want to paste this information into? It's a bit confusing to me. It doesn't need to be limited to navigation. What if I see a song name, album title, and artist name and want to copy it into a grooveshark app? See what I mean?

I can see phone numbers, email addresses, and mailing addresses being recognized using regular expressions, but for other stuff, I just don't see how copy and paste can be tossed.

I'm ranting now lol
post #167 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcotten View Post

They still sell the iPhone 3G on their website TODAY. If it's such a dusty old POS, then quit selling it, instead of selling it to the masses and limiting, via your software, what the device can and cannot do.

I was talking about the original EDGE phone, which would be three years old later this year when the next one is announced. My understanding is that this is the only iPhone model on which this new software version won't run.

The other phones have hardware limitations that mean some small amount of features won't work. Mostly multi-tasking on the 3G because it only has half the memory. This is pretty much the same way it always is in consumer devices and always has been. Well with the exception of the fact that most consumer devices don't provide upgrades to their software at all.

I've bought a lot of mobile devices over the years and I've never had one that provided regular frequent software upgrades that delivered new functionality to the device for free as Apple does.
post #168 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It's called perspective.

We'll see.

Fact: Visual distortions in perspective are typically represented as trapezoids, not (near) perfect rectangles/squares.

Indeed, We Will See...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #169 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post

I'm not sure about you, son, but my time is worth money. I get irritated when people steal it.

maybe you are on the wrong page here. If you are spending time writing about your dislikes on a site for enthusiasts YOU are really wasting time. Why not vent to a therapist and maybe get the help you need?

besides that, it is nice to read text that has some value.. added.. information.. sorry mister Horse, but your saddle is sagging..

d
post #170 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm pretty sure this is up to the developer of the memo app.

The way I read it, the system provides for services that apps can run in the background now, but which developers still have to code into their apps (they don't currently have it.) The only services they can use are the seven provided, but one of these is "fast app switching" where the save state of app has been considerably improved.

Therefore, if your memo app has been recoded to take advantage of iPhone OS 4.0, it will likely just save it's state, but by means of the new feature, leave the user in the exact same place, right down to the cursor position. Unless the app is busy reading or writing a file when you switch away, it won't really have a use for any of the other six backgrounding services.

IMO it probably won't appear in the list of running apps you get on a double-tap of the home button, so finding the app and re-launching it (albeit probably faster and restored to the exact same state), would be the way you switch back to the app.

It might be however, that simply by using that "fast app switching" multi-tasking feature, the app obtains a position in the dock of icons of currently running apps. However, if all programs that use "fast app switching" end up in that list, it kind of implies that every app will eventually end up in that list.

This kind of describes a system where all app management would be directly handled by the OS. Apps would be forced to quit only when resources got too compromised. Apple has already said that the user can't actively quit running apps unless the app itself provides it.

For that reason, I think that apps that only use the fast app switching aspect of the new multi-tasking, will still basically be quitting and re-starting, and not running in the background at all. Even if it's in an "enhanced" hard-to-tell-the-difference kind of way.

Right, it's all services and it's up to the dev to implement.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else is just a passing line from the Ars coverage:

Quote:
icons are along the bottom like the home row, and you can flick through them

which suggests you can have more than 4 apps being explicitly "backgrounded."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #171 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

What on earth are you on about? It's not the radio. If the cellular radio of iPhone 1.0 could do cellular data, it could do MMS. MMS is retrieved as a regular data download after being notified of its existance via SMS. Technically it could even be done via WiFi or LAN as long as the SMS notification is tranferred first. The fact that it didn't is entirely software related.

Don't try overly hard to find reasons for features not being there. It's propably muchmuch simpler. It is more likely one of a) not enough time to implement or b) arrogantly thinking "nobody wants/needs it if I don't use it" or both. Think about good to-do list handling vs. emailing your to-do tasks to yourself as another example.

Same with multitasking. If you look at competing implementations, this particular implementation of Apple's as currently presented didn't bring anything really different to the table. Sure the marketing claims so, but the lack of detail doesn't convice (yet). Yet many are drawing conclusions that it must be without a) seeing it in action and b) having the possibility to compare and properly analyse for example battery consumption. A really big part of battery consumption btw is data traffic (over 200mA vs. under 5mA).

The "dock" is very very similar to implementations found in other phones for years (the often cursed Symbian for example). Until more technical details become available, I wouldn't be swallowing the fish Steve is offering without first chewing on it for a while. It looks interesting, but I want the details behind the marketing BS and real comparisons instead of wishful thinking (that it is more than multitasking with eye candy and good marketing). That'll propably have to wait until summer.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted them to bring something really new and innovative. At the moment I just don't see too much of it (though multitasking in itself is a good addition). That may just as well be a limit of my eyesight or the lack of technical detail given.

Regs, Jarkko

It makes a change to read something from someone with a clue here.

Symbian also has interesting things such as their location service that will notify your app, even it if is not running, when your location is within a preset zone. So, in theory that should be even better.
post #172 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

They did explain it. The apps use built in API's that only allow the apps to use minimum system resources to perform its job.

So when Pandora is playing in the background its using an audio API that only allows Pandora to stream and play audio, the OS does not allow Pandora to waste system resources performing any other superfluous tasks.

And what kinds of things would those be? I'm sure the Pandora developers are thinking "while the user is streaming music I'll just calculate PI to 12 million decimal places for a laugh".

Jeez, people fall for the RDF every time.
post #173 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

I would guess the app state is only stored in RAM. Basically the app gets no more processor time allocated to it. Then when it is switched to the foreground the OS starts allocating CPU to the app. Maybe they implement some new API for this, but I can't see why. You can do it just by blocking all the app threads. And that at least keeps all existing applications compatible with it. And any app that is using too much RAM in the background gets killed just like they do now.

I don't think so. I would bet that it gets swapped out to the flash memory.
post #174 of 268
I think the main question is, will all these new features actually make the iPhone better to use.

Personally, I think the fact that apps will be able to save their state and open in the same condition is a big step forwards. Where in memory that app is kept and whether or not it uses CPU cycles I couldn't care less about, as long as it works.

Being able to play music from other services in the background is good as well.

This all seems to be pretty sensible and thought through changes, so it will be interesting to see what developers do with it.

iAd does concern me a little though. Granted you could get some cool ads that are useful, but they could be a pain and just take up screen real estate. Again, time will tell.
post #175 of 268
What's the point of running an app in the background ifs doing absolutely nothing?

The reason this is such a problem is because every software programmer is not of the same caliber. Some programmers are good at creating apps that run efficiently. Some software programmers create resource hogs.

What is different about multitask in the iPhone OS is it does not allow anyone to create apps that will be resource hogs. The apps will only be allowed to perform the function that the API and the OS allows it to.

Quote:

That is totally ridiculous.

No app on any multitasking platform like Windows or OSX, or Symbian or Android uses up resources when in the background apart from RAM.

Any modern application is purely event driven. Unless they are receiving input from something the apps are doing absolutely nothing. They will all be blocked on some event, mutex, or kernel signal. Anyone who believes this doesn't know anything about programming or pre-emptive multitasking.

So how does this make it any different than what any other phone platform offers? If I put an app in the background in Symbian or Android it isn't doing a damn thing unless it is streaming music or following the GPS and this is exactly what Apple is going to have.

What does kill a phone battery is having the wireless transceivers going. Any app (like Skype) that is constantly keeping a network connection alive is going to eat your battery like nothing else. Also streaming over 3G is an absolute battery killer. And so how is this now different than anyone else again?
post #176 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I think the main question is, will all these new features actually make the iPhone better to use.

Personally, I think the fact that apps will be able to save their state and open in the same condition is a big step forwards. Where in memory that app is kept and whether or not it uses CPU cycles I couldn't care less about, as long as it works.

Being able to play music from other services in the background is good as well.

This all seems to be pretty sensible and thought through changes, so it will be interesting to see what developers do with it.

iAd does concern me a little though. Granted you could get some cool ads that are useful, but they could be a pain and just take up screen real estate. Again, time will tell.

The ads would be there regardless. If Apple can make them less annoying, more power to them.

For the rest, yes it does seem sensible. For those arguing that Apple's pseudo-multitasking is inferior or doesn't actually provide any benefits, one has to ask them, why exactly then do you think Apple implemented it this way? Was it just to make it harder on devs? To annoy users? Just to be different for the sake of being different?

While much of how Apple markets it will obviously be spin, it is a bit strange that these people think Apple wanted to reinvent the wheel just to waste their own time. I mean, iPhone OS is UNIX. It is fully capable of pre-emptive multitasking. They intentionally prohibit traditional multitasking and took this long to implement the functionality announced today. Is the thought process really that Apple did this all of just for fun?

Honestly, I am interested in hearing from those that are complaining about this...what exactly do you think Apple's motives would be, given the obviously downsides to have taken this route?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #177 of 268
Quote:

Yes, I did, and it worked perfectly fine thank you very much.

I'm sorry that you are so confused that you believe your 3G would grind to a halt. I'm sure the thousands with jailbroken ones might disagree though.

Confused???? My 3G was jailbroken and it ran like a piece of shit so im speaking for experience but you are obviously the spokesperson for all jailbroken 3G's so i will need to bow to your knowledge.

I must concede in my lack of knowledge with regards to the windows comment but i work for a fairly large company who looked into changing OS to Win7 and concluded that they would not go ahead as the hardware was not sufficient and these computers are approx. 3 years old. Maybe they were just crap to start with
post #178 of 268
Doesn't matter what else it would be doing, the point is that it wouldn't be allowed to do anything else.

Quote:

And what kinds of things would those be? I'm sure the Pandora developers are thinking "while the user is streaming music I'll just calculate PI to 12 million decimal places for a laugh".

Jeez, people fall for the RDF every time.
post #179 of 268
iPhone OS is now complete, in my opinion. Everything that anyone could ever reasonably want is now supported.

Now Apple can concentrate on truly innovative features.

Can't wait to play music with Spotify in the background.
post #180 of 268
Quote:

I don't think so. I would bet that it gets swapped out to the flash memory.

That doesn't make much sense, flash is slow, really, really, really slow.
post #181 of 268
Quote:

That doesn't make much sense, flash is slow, really, really, really slow.

But if it's not swapped out to virtual memory then every suspended app will still be using the very limited RAM (more limiting I think than the CPU power). It wouldn't take as long to swap it back in as it would to start the app up from scratch.
post #182 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What's the point of running an app in the background ifs doing absolutely nothing?

The reason this is such a problem is because every software programmer is not of the same caliber. Some programmers are good at creating apps that run efficiently. Some software programmers create resource hogs.

What is different about multitask in the iPhone OS is it does not allow anyone to create apps that will be resource hogs. The apps will only be allowed to perform the function that the API and the OS allows it to.

Apps left in RAM start faster than if loaded from Flash. Reading from Flash is still extremely slow. If they are not using any processor time then leaving them in the background hurts nothing and makes using them again much faster.

They are not doing anything that prevents resource hogs either.

How about my stream is in OGG and I have a custom decoder for that. And I program like an 10 year old. Oops, my streaming app now sucks your battery dry in 30 minutes.

So what happens? Pretty soon everyone tells that app XYZ sucks your battery. So what do you think happens for all the other mobile devices? All the crappy apps get a bad reputation and die.
post #183 of 268
Quote:

They are not doing anything that prevents resource hogs.

How about my stream is in OGG and I have a custom decoder for that. And I program like an 10 year old. Oops, my streaming app now sucks your battery dry in 30 minutes.

So what happens? Pretty soon everyone tells that app XYZ sucks your battery. So what do you think happens for all the other mobile devices? All the crappy apps get a bad reputation and die.

Not sure what you're saying here. Obviously video streaming isn't going to be a background process, which is what we're talking about. An inefficient foreground process is another matter, but far more linked to user estimation of cause and effect.
post #184 of 268
After 15 minutes of testing:
  1. No improved ntoification system
  2. The double-click to bring up the row of apps does indeed work and shows you recent apps, not just background compatible apps. It also scrolls from left to right to show you much more than the 4 listed.
  3. No lockscreen change at this point.
  4. Hardware keyboard option for the iPhone, just like the iPad.
  5. You can now add password lock instead of simple PIN (without resorting to profileutility app). I tried 32 characters, it worked fine but you can likely choose even more.
  6. Test SMS and MMS failed (on AT&T).
  7. Aggrogated mailboxes look great
  8. iPod app allows you to create playlists.
  9. iPod app allows you to edit any static playlist (read: non-smart playlist).
  10. New icon for Location in Maps is the arrow icon shown in the Menu Bar of the pics.
  11. Terrian option still NOT available in maps
  12. Maps software still using Google.
  13. In Maps, if you click the Do Not Allow button for the Location Services and then click the GPS button or try to use Current Location in the directions it will not remind you that you have turned it off.
  14. Still no search in Safari.
  15. 3GS definitely warmer to touch and sluggish to use than with v3.x and but it's unoptimized code so it's not unexpected.
  16. Only 12 apps per folder and you can't put folders within a folder (not sure if they mentioned that).
  17. ITunes doesn't understand the folders and the method on the iPhone doesn't allow removing the folder contents at once or adding multiple files at once. I think a list would much easier here.
  18. The default Weather app FINALLY has the Localization API. Still doesn't show current temperature in the icon.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #185 of 268
Quote:

Memory had nothing to do with lack of MMS in the original iPhone... it was the cell radio used that prevented it from being possible, so it was a hardware issue.

What hardware issues stops the original iPhone from doing MMS?
post #186 of 268
Quote:

I'm not sure about you, son, but my time is worth money. I get irritated when people steal it.

So why are you wasting it, posting here? There is no payoff at all for you in any way?

Oh wait, maybe it's because......
post #187 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Do you still have a 2G? If you do, then wouldn't now be about time you can get your 2-year upgrade?

Exactly. Can't wait for my 4G. My wife will be thrilled with the 2G* (she is not into multitasking and such), and my 11-year old with the original (he'll probably use it mostly as an iPod Touch anyway).

But ATT allowing total unlocking would be nice.

*I assume you mean 2nd generation.
post #188 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Great iPhone fragmentation just accelerates...

Brainless comment.
post #189 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Brainless comment.

I expected this bogus comment much earlier though in the thread, the trolls are just a bit numb after this update it seems. !
post #190 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I expected this bogus comment much earlier though in the thread, the trolls are just a bit numb after this update it seems. !

They have to find new things to complain about now, which actually might mean some research, if you can believe it.
post #191 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

You have to wonder what kind of person thinks that a year-over-year update is fragmentation. Of course, these trolls spend the rest of the year claiming how Apple is losing ground and has fallen asleep because they aren't releasing a half-assed updates along with Android. The Droid just got v2.1 two days ago. It's a shame.
post #192 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The ads would be there regardless. If Apple can make them less annoying, more power to them.

For the rest, yes it does seem sensible. For those arguing that Apple's pseudo-multitasking is inferior or doesn't actually provide any benefits, one has to ask them, why exactly then do you think Apple implemented it this way? Was it just to make it harder on devs? To annoy users? Just to be different for the sake of being different?

While much of how Apple markets it will obviously be spin, it is a bit strange that these people think Apple wanted to reinvent the wheel just to waste their own time. I mean, iPhone OS is UNIX. It is fully capable of pre-emptive multitasking. They intentionally prohibit traditional multitasking and took this long to implement the functionality announced today. Is the thought process really that Apple did this all of just for fun?

Honestly, I am interested in hearing from those that are complaining about this...what exactly do you think Apple's motives would be, given the obviously downsides to have taken this route?

I guess you're probably right about the ads. We'll see what people do with them. I like the idea of applications where it could be a paid download and the ads aren't there, or you can download it for free and they are. Everyone wins then. Devs get paid and regardless of your financial situation, you can get to use the app.

As for your other comments, I completely agree. The thing is, on a website like this where there are are both Apple haters and (mostly) tech minded people, these things are always going to get beaten to death. The thing people who bash Apple's implementation of things pretty much always fail to realize is that Apple focus on the experience for non-technical people first. As I've said before, most non-techy people have no idea what multi-tasking is, much less care, but the fact that an app doesn't open looking like it did when you closed it is something that will bother people. The fact that they have fixed that for the general user is great, and one of the main reasons I like Apple.

That said, sometimes the Apple bashers have a point. For example, not having cut/copy/paste when they first released iPhone was crap, and in my opinion no number of claims that Apple were right to take their time to implement it right changes the fact that it really should have been included to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

After 15 minutes of testing:
  1. iPod app allows you to create playlists.

Really pleased about that one.
post #193 of 268
19. You can turn off Cellular Data access and just have the phone on. I am thinking Unlimited Data might not be in the next AT&T iPhone plan or at least metered data usage may be an option.
post #194 of 268
Quote:

Wow! And how do you separate the good from the bad without as you say "wasting" your time?

Do you search using Google? Or other search engines? Or you have this gift of prescience to know without searching what you already want -- so as not to waste time?

Why do you even download free Apps?

If you really believe what you preach what sort of commercial massmedia products do you access?

Newspapers, magazines, radio and television shows, many internet sites, etc. would be out.

And how much time have you wasted posting here? Posts that would likely be ignored by most of the readers of Apple Insider.

I do not use MS-centric machines if I can avoid them because they are not the best for me. However, I do not waste my time trying to share my views to those who chose MS-centric computers. It would be a waste of my time, apart from losing people who are friendly to me in many other respects.

And now that you found out the diabolical scheme of Apple all along, you know what tod with your iPhone (and related products) and perhaps your membership here, so that you will not waste anymore of your time.

One other thing... "Apple Insider" has ads.

CGC
post #195 of 268
WHAT?! seriously? 2G & 3G are identical in hardware, except for the 3G/edge components. any apple apologist want to rationalize why there isn't support for 2G in 4.0?
post #196 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

As far as multitasking goes, I've already shown numerous people on many occasions how my battery life is NOT effected while running up to 10 apps (all doing some kind of function in the background.)

Then your phone must be powered by fairies and unicorns because even the android lovers on TWIT sheepishly admitted that multitasking seriously affected their battery life. Really, it's a pretty simple concept - use the CPU more, use more energy, less battery life. It's not magic, BS or marketing spin - it's physics!

But again, who want's "real" multitasking except for pedantic feature list watchers? Apple is delivering what people really want with multitasking - functionality! - while preserving the user experience - and part of that user experience includes battery life!
post #197 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcotten View Post

What a complete JOKE. I have been a loyal apple'ist for ages... but this is the final straw. SCREW IT

Yes, darn Apple for not providing a hardware update with software! Those fascists! Free hardware updates for life!
post #198 of 268
Quote:

2. In addition, there will be specific services via some published APIs that can actually get some CPU time. Background music, push notifications, location change callbacks, network streaming (like the photo upload example they gave) and ???. I doubt you will be able to design your app to truly continue running in the background, calculating pi or whatever.

Why would you want to calculate pi (or whatever) in the background on a ultra-portable device with limited resources???

With the background services they have announced, they have covered functionality for everything I want multitasking for, and for other things that I have seen others in these forums constantly ask for (hey, maybe they do read what gets posted on sites like this!)
post #199 of 268
Quote:

How is a banner ad at the bottom of the screen taking up your time?

Because he had to post here to complain about it
post #200 of 268
Quote:

Apps left in RAM start faster than if loaded from Flash. Reading from Flash is still extremely slow. If they are not using any processor time then leaving them in the background hurts nothing and makes using them again much faster.

Flash is as fast a signal moving through a circuit, there are no moving parts. Flash and RAM are both solid state storage, there is no delay in the transfer of information.

Quote:
They are not doing anything that prevents resource hogs either.

Yes they are, the OS ultimately controls the multitasking, not the developer.

Quote:

This scenario is outside of how Apple designed the iPhone, so any problems you have are of your own doing.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple iPhone OS 4.0 to introduce Multitasking, 100 other features