or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO's comments interpreted to mean no iPhone until 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon CEO's comments interpreted to mean no iPhone until 2011

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
When Verizon's CEO earlier this week said a CDMA-compatible iPhone on his company's network would be "Apple's call," it dampened hopes of a Verizon iPhone appearing in 2010.

It was on Tuesday that Ivan Seidenberg, chief executive of Verizon, said his company has told Apple they would like to carry the iPhone. He even specifically cited a report from The Wall Street Journal in late March that said Apple is working on two new iPhones, including one compatible with CDMA networks that could go into production in September.

But Seidenberg also cautioned that any decision regarding the iPhone on Verizon's network would be "Apple's call." On Friday, Reuters gathered reaction from analysts, who interpreted Seidenberg's comments as an attempt to cool off talk that a Verizon iPhone could be coming this year.

Credit Suisse analyst Jonathan Chaplin said that he believes Seidenberg was trying to "realistically set expectations." He believes that AT&T will maintain its exclusive rights to the iPhone for the next year at least.

And Avi Greengart, with Current Analysis, reportedly said Apple is unlikely to do a "one-off" version of the iPhone for compatibility with CDMA networks when Long Term Evolution 4G is around the corner. Both AT&T and Verizon plan to upgrade their networks in the coming years to the new wireless standard.

"It's not in Apple's nature to do a one-off for a technology Verizon itself is moving away from," Greengart reportedly said.

Others said Verizon runs the risk of a publicity nightmare if adding the iPhone causes network issues, or if coverage isn't what consumers have come to expect given Verizon's touting of its coverage map in TV commercials.

Talk of a Verizon iPhone dissipated in January, after Apple executives made a clear effort to demonstrate they are happy with their partnership with AT&T. The company also aimed to downplay speculation that the iPhone would become available on multiple carriers in the U.S. But it was the Journal's report claiming production of a CDMA iPhone that once again fueled rumors that Apple might bring its handset to the largest wireless carrier in the U.S.

Rumors of the end of AT&T's exclusive agreement for the iPhone have persisted for years. Currently, AT&T is the sole carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. Some have said that exclusive agreement is set to end this summer.
post #2 of 56
Why Apple does not want to go to another carrier is mind boggling.

I guess they are getting a sweetheart deal with AT&T abd its profit over good business decision here.

Apple has obviously made a lot of good decisions, this is just not one of them.

I had no problem with a 2 year AT&T exclusivity.

Google is eventually going to go ahead has there are like 50 different Android phones amongst all the carrier. Just the sheer numbers will give them the lead. Does not matter that they are not as good.

Apple just can't be naive enough to thing everyone will automatically go to AT&T.

There is the move to 4G or LTE. Apple could be waiting for this to happen and do not want o waste time doing a CDMA phone for what would amount to one year.

Something has to happen soon.
post #3 of 56
It's time for the FCC to step up to the plate and stop these exclusive agreements between phones and carriers. I live in an area that is only serviceable by Verizon. I should be able to use any phone I choose. Maybe we need fair rates for service and buy our own phones.
post #4 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Verizon's CEO earlier this week said a CDMA-compatible iPhone on his company's network would be "Apple's call," it dampened hopes of a Verizon iPhone appearing in 2010.

There would be no reason in principle why Verizon would not want another in-demand phone to add to its lineup.

But in the meantime, they are doing great with what they have. Their Android phones are selling more and more, and they also carry the best-selling smartphone out there - The Blackberry.

Verizon would like to have it, but they don't need it.
post #5 of 56
Any iPhone (or any phone, for that matter) on Verizon's nextwork, even 3 years from now, will need to support CDMA. So saying that a CDMA iPhone would be a "one-off" is a pretty silly argument. However, I could see Apple waiting for the LTE deployment to get a foothold so they could do an LTE/CDMA phone. In that case, waiting until 2011 would probably make sense.

As for the Verizon CEO's comments, it could also be to make the public believe that it's entirely up to Apple and that Verizon will accept whatever terms Apple wants, thus making us think it's Apple holding up the deal. But he didn't say what Verizon's terms were. They could privately be telling Apple that the iPhone must support Verizon's app store, for example, and then publicly saying the ball is in Apple's court.
post #6 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur_Klok View Post

There would be no reason in principle why Verizon would not want another in-demand phone to add to its lineup.

But in the meantime, they are doing great with what they have. Their Android phones are selling more and more, and they also carry the best-selling smartphone out there - The Blackberry.

Verizon would like to have it, but they don't need it.

Which would be a strong reason for Apple to want to get the iPhone on Verizon ASAP. Even if it's a CDMA-only phone. Once people have spent $100+ on Android apps and accessories, and invest time in entering all their data and such, it will be a tougher sell to get them to buy an iPhone and start all over again.
post #7 of 56
What? No love for Cricket?
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Which would be a strong reason for Apple to want to get the iPhone on Verizon ASAP. Even if it's a CDMA-only phone. Once people have spent $100+ on Android apps and accessories, and invest time in entering all their data and such, it will be a tougher sell to get them to buy an iPhone and start all over again.

Agreed. Everyone (except AT&T) has a bunch of Android phones, and the iPhone is exclusive to AT&T.

And the Android market is growing fast, while RIM is holding its own.

Anybody on any wireless service has lots of choices, and once they are locked in, later switching to an iPhone becomes less likely.
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Any iPhone (or any phone, for that matter) on Verizon's nextwork, even 3 years from now, will need to support CDMA. So saying that a CDMA iPhone would be a "one-off" is a pretty silly argument. However, I could see Apple waiting for the LTE deployment to get a foothold so they could do an LTE/CDMA phone. In that case, waiting until 2011 would probably make sense.

I was going to make the exact same argument.

Even when Verizon begins to roll out LTE, it will be YEARS until there's enough LTE coverage to replace CDMA. So any LTE phone on Verizon's network will need to support CDMA for those areas that don't have LTE yet. I will be amazed if Verizon manages to completely replace CDMA in less than 5 years.
post #10 of 56
I could see him on the phone right before he speaks

"Ok, so the shares are sold? Ok great... UMM, AS IT TURNS OUT NOT UNTIL 2011"
post #11 of 56
It's official.

Seidenberg is Steve's bitch.

Word.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

I was going to make the exact same argument.

Even when Verizon begins to roll out LTE, it will be YEARS until there's enough LTE coverage to replace CDMA. So any LTE phone on Verizon's network will need to support CDMA for those areas that don't have LTE yet. I will be amazed if Verizon manages to completely replace CDMA in less than 5 years.

Yes and IMHO and the iPhone for Verizon should offer LTE and an ability to switch to CDMA when needed albeit with far more limited abilities that has. To make a CDMA only phone would be such a retro step and Apple simply doesn't do that. So waiting till the dual function services start to roll out whenever that is (idk if it has started yet), is the wise way to go. It also gives Verizon a hell of an incentive to upgrade fast. Even if only certain areas have LTE at first that will be sufficient for the dual capability iPhone. Personally I think SJ should ask Verizon to tone down some of the Map ads which are a little flakey although I have a lot of basis in truth too. That is probably unrealistic and the slugfest between coverage and a modern service with less coverage will continue.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #13 of 56
How many more rimes is the Verizon iPhone story going to yo-yo before the G4 iPhone is demoed this summer?


Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Why Apple does not want to go to another carrier is mind boggling.

Maybe they do, maybe there are other issues making a single cerise on AT&T the best option at the moment. Like not being able to make enough product due to NAND shortages. Remember, we're taking about the largest carrier in the US and last year caused supply issues for months in places. (just an possibilities, not a statement of fact)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

It's time for the FCC to step up to the plate and stop these exclusive agreements between phones and carriers. I live in an area that is only serviceable by Verizon. I should be able to use any phone I choose. Maybe we need fair rates for service and buy our own phones.

This is really the FCC's faucet from not having a homogenized network to being with. Take the contract-free, unlocked iPad, for example, it's still not going to work on any other carrier, except for T-Mobile on EDGE because of the HW. The FCC can't force Apple to engineer a new phone even if they did break the contract.

I feel you though. AT&T works great for me but Verizon would shoot up the stock so I want them to get it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Any iPhone (or any phone, for that matter) on Verizon's nextwork, even 3 years from now, will need to support CDMA. So saying that a CDMA iPhone would be a "one-off" is a pretty silly argument. However, I could see Apple waiting for the LTE deployment to get a foothold so they could do an LTE/CDMA phone. In that case, waiting until 2011 would probably make sense.

As for the Verizon CEO's comments, it could also be to make the public believe that it's entirely up to Apple and that Verizon will accept whatever terms Apple wants, thus making us think it's Apple holding up the deal. But he didn't say what Verizon's terms were. They could privately be telling Apple that the iPhone must support Verizon's app store, for example, and then publicly saying the ball is in Apple's court.

QFT
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 56
When Verizon rolls out their 4G LTE network map , the iPhone 4G will be waiting.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #15 of 56
I look at this two ways. Before the iPhone, AT&T was surviving, not thriving. VZW was thriving.

VZW was looking to run away with the lead and then the iPhone knocked a home run out of the park and has brought AT&T back into the ballgame. Without the iPhone, VZW would probably be 10x worse or the same as they were several years ago with locked down phones and such. So while we all may hate Apple is not on VZW, they have helped a lot of people without iPhones get a better value for their $.

As far as Apple not putting their phone on VZW, it may also come down to Apple wanting to squeeze every last penny they can from AT$T users only to move to VZW and do the same. It's a great money move if they can make the market share hold on. It's a gamble but Steve and the Gang these days normally bet on sure things.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #16 of 56
"Engadget recently reported that the mobile device long rumored to be named the “iPhone 4g” will actually be called the “iPhone HD.” Some have speculated that the phone may not be labeled with the “4g” tag because the phone may or may not be able to access 4g wireless internet. Perhaps the convention has more to do with the internet access than the version of the phone after all."

If this it true, it sounds like the iPhone is going droid to me, which means not only are they looking at the "cellular" map but also the wireless map. ATT offers free access to hotspots with internet service, I think there is a bigger picture here than most are seeing.

I am an investor and was looking at the companies as a whole, ATT is twice the size of VZ

ATT market cap is $155 billion VZ is $85.5 billion, who's better prepared to serve Apple, and we all know Jobs is a control freak with his products, he may like where he is just fine. ATT stock on the rise while VZ is floundering.....
post #17 of 56
I wouldnt be so quick to assume Verizon will get the iPhone. First of all, Verizon hit apple pretty hard with negative advertising. Probably not a good idea when trying to buddy up to Apple (Jobs). Secondly, the CEO is pretty cavalier with shooting his mouth off trying to drop hints, etc. Based on past examples, Jobs has shunned companies for less. I would keep my eye on Sprint. While the seem like the last in the mix, they will be a year ahead of the competition technologically speaking. They seem to be very quiet and it wouldnt surprise me. Apple likes to be in control and Sprint would have a lot to gain allowing Apple to call the shots by taking on the iPhone.

G-
post #18 of 56
so this is what analysts get paid for? they sit around drinking their latte's and say to each other

Analyst 1:"ok guys...lets dissect his comment and try to figure out what it might mean"
Analyst2:"who cares?
Analyst3: "Well he could be trying to keep quiet about a verizon iphone and deflect any hints"
Analyst1:"Good thats good go get working on that story"
Analyst4:"He could possibly never get the iphone, i mean it sounds like apple and vzw havent even talked"
Analyst1:"Great point...Type it up,spread the word:
Analyst5:"I've got it! They want the iPhone but probably not until 2011!"
Analyst1:"WOW I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT, EXPLAIN"
Analyst5:"Well obviously they want it but maybe apple doesnt want to make a cdma only phone so they are waiting until LTE rolls out. Think about it..why invest in a cdma only phone when they are dropping it anyway! its a dead technology anyway no one will use it in 2011 . SO apple will make a BRAND NEW iphone to customers waiting for a phone with tech they havent even tested in the real world!"

Stupidity on apples part..CDMA is NOT going away..they havent tested the technology...why not get a head start with CDMA and have this extra year before LTE to AT LEAST excel in its CDMA aspect, considering LTE will be a baby and may come with problems...Great thinking guys..
post #19 of 56
I don't care. Verizon was doing good by up until recently. Now I'm ready to move on to another carrier ... so AT&T here I come. Can't wait to buy an iPhone.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Why Apple does not want to go to another carrier is mind boggling.

I guess they are getting a sweetheart deal with AT&T abd its profit over good business decision here.

Apple has obviously made a lot of good decisions, this is just not one of them.

I had no problem with a 2 year AT&T exclusivity.

Google is eventually going to go ahead has there are like 50 different Android phones amongst all the carrier. Just the sheer numbers will give them the lead. Does not matter that they are not as good.

Apple just can't be naive enough to thing everyone will automatically go to AT&T.

There is the move to 4G or LTE. Apple could be waiting for this to happen and do not want o waste time doing a CDMA phone for what would amount to one year.

Something has to happen soon.

But you forget, Steve Jobs doesn't care about market share for the sake of market share and being number one when they would rather be the leader in technology and proud to produce and put out the products they do, so long as they will not compromise the company's game plan and goals of what they deem is proper and for now, GSM is where it's at and Verizon network technology doesn't cut the Apple mustard. Notice how Apple didn't jump on the Netbook bandwagon against all the people saying, 'look at all the buyers going out and buying Netbooks because of price and Apple is missing out on all those sales'.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

But you forget, Steve Jobs doesn't care about market share for the sake of market share and being number one when they would rather be the leader in technology and proud to produce and put out the products they do, so long as they will not compromise the company's game plan and goals of what they deem is proper and for now, GSM is where it's at and Verizon network technology doesn't cut the Apple mustard. Notice how Apple didn't jump on the Netbook bandwagon against all the people saying, 'look at all the buyers going out and buying Netbooks because of price and Apple is missing out on all those sales'.

If Steve Jobs does not care about market share, then he should rethink. Android, it's most similar competitor is gaining fast in the market--in all carriers, soon to include even AT&T. A nonchalant attitude to marketshare may have worked in the age of the dumbphones where customers were not loyal to any platform nor were they invested monetarily in them. The more Apple sticks to just one carrier, the more people in other carriers invest themselves in Android applications. The people who were gonna switch to AT&T for the iphone pretty much have done so after 3 years--that cow has been milked dry by now. Current iPhone owners will replace their old ones with the new model...and every year the number of switchers will dwindle and dwindle...even more so if they are invested in a different platform. They can certainly make money from current AT&T customers replacing their iphones, but growth will stall in the US. If Apple is not caring about market share, then they really dropping the ball.
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

It's time for the FCC to step up to the plate and stop these exclusive agreements between phones and carriers.

No. Absolutely, no. The FCC (US Government) has no business getting themselves involved in the private agreements taken between two business partners.
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post

I wouldnt be so quick to assume Verizon will get the iPhone. First of all, Verizon hit apple pretty hard with negative advertising. Probably not a good idea when trying to buddy up to Apple (Jobs). Secondly, the CEO is pretty cavalier with shooting his mouth off trying to drop hints, etc. Based on past examples, Jobs has shunned companies for less. I would keep my eye on Sprint. While the seem like the last in the mix, they will be a year ahead of the competition technologically speaking. They seem to be very quiet and it wouldnt surprise me. Apple likes to be in control and Sprint would have a lot to gain allowing Apple to call the shots by taking on the iPhone.

Sprint's WiMax 4G is incompatible with the rest of the telecommunications world. They are not getting a 4G version of the iPhone because Apple isn't interested in building a one-off version for them.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

It's time for the FCC to step up to the plate and stop these exclusive agreements between phones and carriers. I live in an area that is only serviceable by Verizon. I should be able to use any phone I choose. Maybe we need fair rates for service and buy our own phones.

"Old and in the way" is your handle but I am curious to know how old? The greatest generation old that did what needed to be done (WW2) and that supposedly never asked for anything unless you mess with SS or MediCare or Post WW2 like the Flower Power generation of the 60's, that expects things for nothing like free love and if you're not with me, you're against me and it's all about the MAN! generation?...

I am always amazed when I read comments like, "I should be able to use any phone I choose." Why? Why do you think YOU are ENTITLED to any phone produced by any manufacturer to be able to work across all the various networks differing technologies when it comes to the cell phone industry? If it is in Apple's game plan to produce a CDMA iPhone along with its GSM iPhone, great. But what mentality or thought process allows ANYONE to say hey Federal Government via the FCC, I can't get the phone I want so I want YOU to check into it and by decree, regulation, rule, law or whatever, MAKE them, a public company that has their own future roadmap, that you may not totally agree with, COMPLY!

What's next?

It's sad...

That is how I see you as coming across and maybe I'm wrong... Please tell me I am wrong...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #25 of 56
GSM is used by the rest of the world. In the big picture, there are far more potential subscribers world-wide to tap than what Apple would get from the US-only Verizon network.

I think what is being missed here is that the iPhone is a "global" phone. Verizon is not.

As an AAPL owner, I'd love it to be on Verizon's network. But I'll consider the technical challenges, the capital expenditures, and ROI to be an issue for Apple. I would have to think that Apple has run the numbers to decide if it's a worthwhile venture.
post #26 of 56
[
It's sad...

That is how I see you as coming across and maybe I'm wrong... Please tell me I am wrong...[/QUOTE]

You're wrong. None of what you said is how I meant it. I do see your point on several items, but when you let business make all the decisions you only get decisions that benefit business.
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

It's time for the FCC to step up to the plate and stop these exclusive agreements between phones and carriers. I live in an area that is only serviceable by Verizon. I should be able to use any phone I choose. Maybe we need fair rates for service and buy our own phones.

While you would easily have an argument if the Verizon cellular network was based on the GSM, the cellular technology supported by the iPhone... Unfortunately, the Verizon network is based on CDMA and entirely different technology.

I'd have no problem with the FCC dictating that all cell phones of a 'like type' must be made available to all prospective buyers. In other words all GSM based phones should be available to anyone who wants to but it. This would allow T-Mobile (and Sprint? NO!) subscribers to use the iPhone on those networks. (perhaps others too I'm only giving examples). However, this wouldn't help Verizon users.... and I'd have a SERIOUS problem with the FCC DEMANDING that all cell phone makers MUST design all of their phone models in TWO flavors one supporting GSM networks and another one supporting CDMA. I'd also have a problem if the FCC demanded that all phones marketed in the US support both networks in the same model.

The FCC has no business telling anyone what networks they must support.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #28 of 56
Isn't there an arrangement that's halfway between exclusive and open-to-all? It seems like Motorola used to do it (maybe still does) where the preferred carrier gets the hot phone first, and then months later, others carriers get it.

Seems like this could work for Apple: AT&T gets the latest iPhone in June, and then Verizon gets the same model in December. AT&T would still pay a premium for the right to carry it first, but other carriers wouldn't be shut out. People like me who wouldn't be able to wait 6 months would probably stick with AT&T; others would have a choice.
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

It's time for the FCC to step up to the plate and stop these exclusive agreements between phones and carriers. I live in an area that is only serviceable by Verizon. I should be able to use any phone I choose. Maybe we need fair rates for service and buy our own phones.

We all live in an area that is only serviceable by Verizon.
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

It's time for the FCC to step up to the plate and stop these exclusive agreements between phones and carriers. I live in an area that is only serviceable by Verizon. I should be able to use any phone I choose. Maybe we need fair rates for service and buy our own phones.

The feds cannot force any company to design a new phone just so that a carrier can play in the same sandbox as its competitors. Otherwise, by the same principle, Microsoft can then be forced to port its Xbox-exclusive games to PS3.
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

There is the move to 4G or LTE. Apple could be waiting for this to happen and do not want waste time doing a CDMA phone for what would amount to one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And Avi Greengart, with Current Analysis, reportedly said Apple is unlikely to do a "one-off" version of the iPhone for compatibility with CDMA networks when Long Term Evolution 4G is around the corner. Both AT&T and Verizon plan to upgrade their networks in the coming years to the new wireless standard.

"It's not in Apple's nature to do a one-off for a technology Verizon itself is moving away from," Greengart reportedly said.

As we've said a thousand times in other threads at AI, when LTE arrives on Verizon, it won't cover most of the US for several, possibly five, years. Thus, a Verizon phone must still have CDMA as a fall-back option. So investing in CDMA is not a one-off or for one year.

From other rumors, it is possible that Apple is waiting for multi-functional chips, where CDMA is just one function. That could explain why there doesn't seem to be any urgency in negotiating with Verizon and making a decision.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #32 of 56
I swear to god, this is just attempt by someone to keep customers from making a decision. For 2 yrs now the iphone or some idevice is coming to VZ all this does is keep VZ customer who are on the fence about going to AT&T staying with VZ and possibly signing another 2yr contract with huge cancellation fees
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by atljohnnycash View Post

I am an investor and was looking at the companies as a whole, ATT is twice the size of VZ

ATT market cap is $155 billion VZ is $85.5 billion, who's better prepared to serve Apple, and we all know Jobs is a control freak with his products, he may like where he is just fine. ATT stock on the rise while VZ is floundering.....

Be careful with that comparison. VZ only owns 55% of Verizon Wireless. Vodafone owns the other 45%. AT&T owns all of AT&T Mobility. (They both also own landlines and broadband.)
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur_Klok View Post

Agreed. Everyone (except AT&T) has a bunch of Android phones, and the iPhone is exclusive to AT&T.

And the Android market is growing fast, while RIM is holding its own.

Anybody on any wireless service has lots of choices, and once they are locked in, later switching to an iPhone becomes less likely.

This really sums up the problems Apple is getting itself into by staying only on AT&T. There are no Android phones on AT&T because if you are willing to put up wtih their network and pay for a smartphone plan you are probably going to get an iPhone. In the meantime, Apple has ceded Verizon and TMobile to Android.
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

GSM is used by the rest of the world. In the big picture, there are far more potential subscribers world-wide to tap than what Apple would get from the US-only Verizon network.

I think what is being missed here is that the iPhone is a "global" phone. Verizon is not.

As an AAPL owner, I'd love it to be on Verizon's network. But I'll consider the technical challenges, the capital expenditures, and ROI to be an issue for Apple. I would have to think that Apple has run the numbers to decide if it's a worthwhile venture.

I just don't buy this. All the other manufacturers seem to be able to make 2 versions of their phones without any trouble. The real reason is Apple is getting a sweetheart deal from AT&T. Maybe their huge subsidies are good for Apple in the short term, but it sucks for their customers, and I think it is actually bad for Apple in the long term.
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


The FCC has no business telling anyone what networks they must support.

Actually that was the intended purpose of the FCC, the reason all land line phone work on all phone lines and providers is because the US government and FCC mandated interoperability thus creating what was Ma Bell. The same should have been done for Cellular networks which never happen because VZ fought this tooth and nail they did not want non VZ customers accessing their network. Unlike the GSM networks, and this is the point most people have no clue about.

Just because you pay your bill to AT&T it does not mean 100% of the time you are on an AT&T network or Tower. AT&T has agreements with hundreds of Tower owners and network providers to allow your AT&T phone to be on a GSM network in most parts of this country.

Unlike the GSM providers who mover to SIM card solution which allows people to change phones or providers without necessarily buying a new phone VZ stuck it to customers again and stayed away form the SIM card solution.
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

GSM is used by the rest of the world. In the big picture, there are far more potential subscribers world-wide to tap than what Apple would get from the US-only Verizon network.

I think what is being missed here is that the iPhone is a "global" phone. Verizon is not.

Agree, but there's at least an additional 200 million subscribers outside the US (beyond Verizon) who are still using CDMA. Most of them are in China, India, Japan, and South Korea.

So Apple already makes a GSM phone for the other 5 billion. Doesn't a phone that can be sold to around 300 million people seem worthwhile?
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Any iPhone (or any phone, for that matter) on Verizon's nextwork, even 3 years from now, will need to support CDMA. So saying that a CDMA iPhone would be a "one-off" is a pretty silly argument. However, I could see Apple waiting for the LTE deployment to get a foothold so they could do an LTE/CDMA phone. In that case, waiting until 2011 would probably make sense.

If LTE chipsets are available for handsets now, and the frequencies that Verizon will use in their LTE network have been assigned, is it possible/likely that Apple could build a dual mode iPhone that contains circuitry for both CDMA and LTE. So a subscriber with such a phone could uses CDMA signaling today, and when Verizon has an LTE network/tower in the subscribers area, the iphone could switch over to the LTE chipset?

Sort of like how an iPhone 3G can use Edge or 3G signaling depending upon availability of said signals.

If feasible, this would let Verizon offer an iphone today that wouldn't be obsoleted as LTE rolls out, and give Verizon subscribers a fallback network.
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I swear to god, this is just attempt by someone to keep customers from making a decision. For 2 yrs now the iphone or some idevice is coming to VZ all this does is keep VZ customer who are on the fence about going to AT&T staying with VZ and possibly signing another 2yr contract with huge cancellation fees

This is my dilemma. My contract is up. My monthly service fee supplements my phone purchase so the longer I wait to get a new phone the more I overpay for service. Yes I could get an android and they are nice phones, but everything else I have is Apple and they all play so well together.
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Agree, but there's at least an additional 200 million subscribers outside the US (beyond Verizon) who are still using CDMA. Most of them are in China, India, Japan, and South Korea.

So Apple already makes a GSM phone for the other 5 billion. Doesn't a phone that can be sold to around 300 million people seem worthwhile?

While I agree with your comment I think it needs to be noted that China's CDMA carrier, China Telecom, is the smallest of the three with 65M subs, compared to China Mobile's (TD-SCDMA) 535M subs and China Unicom's (GSM/3GSM) 150M subs.

This makes China as an argument for CDMA less of a factor when China Unicom is an option and China Mobile has expressed interest in the iPhone, is growing by 5M a month and so much larger than CDMA is now. With their growing economy and interest in the iPhone since 2007 I have to think that even with considerably less sales per capita than Verizon their excessive numbers might actually make a TD-SCDMA iPhone viable for Apple.

Also, outside of Verizon in the US, it seems that most countries with CDMA are pretty poor with many of them having no GSM network in place, mostly around Central and South America. This has pros and cons. Apple can extend their reach to the rest of the world, but I doubt the sales will be very high.

On top of that, there are many countries with CDMA that really shouldn't be counted in the figure because they use CDMA for 2G but switched to UMTS/HSDPA for 3G. In S. Korea* the iPhone only works on their 3G network yet I think most non-iPhone subs are coutned as CDMA users too, on global stats, despite it being irrelevant to this situation.

Finally, I think the US CDMA market is by a wide margin the only real consideration when looking into a CDMA iPhone. Between Sprint and Verizon there are more than enough subs that would love to get the iPhone, but if Apple can't even add the simple, cheap radio band for T-Mobile USA I doubt we can expect a Verizon model.

PS: S. Korea has just broken records for selling 500k iPhones in 4 months from launch. They are one of 7 countries to do that in under 1 year. Part of that might be because their laws make it very hard to get unlocked iPhones on their network, unlike China which had hundreds-of-thousands years before the official release, but it's a definitely an accomplishment especially when you consider all the talk that the Asian markets were so advanced compared to the iPhone. I'm finding these national funded TV services for phones simply aren't popular, but I'd love to have a national comment on that directly.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO's comments interpreted to mean no iPhone until 2011