or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple removes Google branding from iPhone OS 4 search
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple removes Google branding from iPhone OS 4 search

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 
The "Google" button that appears on the soft keyboards of existing iPhones when conducting a Web search has been changed to simply read "Search" in the beta of iPhone OS 4, removing a reference to Apple's rival.

The change was already made in iPhone OS 3.2 for the iPad, but the iPhone OS 4 beta for the iPhone shows that the subtle tweak, as discovered by iLounge, will likely make its way to Apple's handset when the software upgrade is released this summer. In the current iPhone OS 3.1.3, using Safari's search function offers a blue "Google" button in the bottom right corner of the touchscreen keyboard.

This week it was also revealed that Apple added Web search to the Spotlight search feature in iPhone OS 4. That option also does not mention Google, only saying "Search Web."

The small change to iPhone search could serve as more evidence to support claims from earlier this year that Apple and Microsoft have been in talks to make Bing the default search engine for the iPhone. Currently, searches conducted through the Safari Web browser go through Google by default, though Yahoo can also be selected.

In March, The New York Times profiled the increasing rivalry -- one that has reportedly become personal -- between Google and Apple. The newspaper said that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs feels that Google "violated the alliance" it had with Apple when it released phones based on the Android mobile operating system.



It was the introduction of Android, the Chrome browser, and Google's plans to release its own netbook operating system that forced Schmidt off of Apple's board of directors last August. Soon after that the two began competing for acquisitions.

This week, Jobs admitted that Apple tried to buy mobile advertising firm AdMob, but said that Google "snatched" the company away. Apple instead bought Quattro Wireless
post #2 of 59
The reason is very simple, as there is no conspiracy at all: how can you have Google on it when you can use more than one search engine like Yahoo? Move along, citizens...
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
post #3 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

The reason is very simple, as there is no conspiracy at all: how can you have Google on it when you can use more than one search engine like Yahoo? Move along, citizens...

Nice to see Apple giving everyone a choice of search engines. Choice is good.

Now if they would only let me choose my phone provider.
post #4 of 59
"violated the alliance" ha, he cracks me up sometimes.

Feed them to the lions.
post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Nice to see Apple giving everyone a choice of search engines. Choice is good.

Get your facts .
You can already with 3.1.2 (and as far as i remember even from 1.0.0) select your search provider, and if you've set "Yahoo!" as search provider, the button said "yahoo!"
post #6 of 59
It should be labeled "Search" anyway.
post #7 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

The reason is very simple, as there is no conspiracy at all: how can you have Google on it when you can use more than one search engine like Yahoo? Move along, citizens...

It's not really that way though, and it only took half a minute to prove this. When you select Yahoo! as your preferred search, the search box in question says Yahoo!. Switch it back and the box says Google again.

edit: fabiopigi beat me to this.
post #8 of 59
Out of curiosity, I went to Google, entered the word "Apple." and the result that I got said, "Your search - Apple - did not match any documents."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
post #9 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Out of curiosity, I went to Google, entered the word "Apple." and the result that I got said, "Your search - Apple - did not match any documents."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

On what OS / device? A search for Apple shows up just fine on my OS 3.x iPhone 3G, your search just shows a series of five asterisks.
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It should be labeled "Search" anyway.

Exactly. This is trivial.

What iLounge did NOT show is the screen BEFORE that. What text appears in the search box itself? I bet it still says Google (or Yahoo), all the time, on top of every single Safari page view. And then once they hit Search, the page that comes up is still Google’s own page, that still says Google in rainbow letters! Plenty of Google branding.

So in OS4, once people tap the ever-present Google object at the top of Safari, on the way to be fed a whole Google page, they are no longer shown this particular third instance of Google branding in the middle of the process?

This is a big deal?

(Worth hits for iLounge, though. Any Apple conspiracy hints are good ad bait.)

Now, maybe we’ll see more screenshots and know that they changed the main field to say Search too. Even that’s not a big deal—it’s a good, consistent choice for labeling an onscreen function. And it lets documentation and support staff say “tap Search” instead of “tap Google or Yahoo or Bing or Wikipedia according to your Settings."

Even in that case, Google is still what comes up AFTER you click Search, and it’s still plastered on the Maps credits too. And now, with OS4, you can Google right from the Spotlight bar! People will be seeing more Google pages than ever wit OS4. There may be a feud between parts of Apple and parts of Google, but little change tells us nothing.

And no matter what, AI’s headline is misleading. Search results will still be Google-branded in OS 4 (if the user chooses Google, as most will). One particular BUTTON does not mean all branding is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On what OS / device? A search for Apple shows up just fine on my OS 3.x iPhone 3G, your search just shows a series of five asterisks.

He’s pranking you.
post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Out of curiosity, I went to Google, entered the word "Apple." and the result that I got said, "Your search - Apple - did not match any documents."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Hahaha, nice!

Is this really front page news?!
post #12 of 59
It seems rather to be a fix from Apple so everyone actually knows what the heck that button means than "heating up the war with Google" if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Out of curiosity, I went to Google, entered the word "Apple." and the result that I got said, "Your search - Apple - did not match any documents."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

It works here.
post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] as discovered by iLounge [...]

to paraphrase clancy wiggum, that's some nice work boys.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiopigi View Post

Get your facts .
You can already with 3.1.2 (and as far as i remember even from 1.0.0) select your search provider, and if you've set "Yahoo!" as search provider, the button said "yahoo!"

I am aware of my facts sir. I never said earlier OS's didn't offer a choice. They always did which is, as I said, a good thing. I would like to see more of that from apple in the future. Wouldn't you?
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

The reason is very simple, as there is no conspiracy at all: how can you have Google on it when you can use more than one search engine like Yahoo? Move along, citizens...

I am honestly surprised Apple hasn't launched their own search engine yet.
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On what OS / device? A search for Apple shows up just fine on my OS 3.x iPhone 3G, your search just shows a series of five asterisks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Hes pranking you.

Shhhhh.

It's Google's way to get even with Apple for taking the Google name from the search window.

I like the way that people were checking Google to see if what I said was true.

Something else that I recently found out is that the word"gullible" is a made up word that has simply been learned through word of mouth, and it doesn't even exist in any dictionary.
post #17 of 59
Apple is starting to flex.
Alienating MS, Google, Adobe, AT&T, MPAA, countless other developers...
Are they strong enough to be an island?

This is what happened to Apple in the late 80's/early 90's with desktop computing and allowed MS to clobber them - reducing their Market share to 1%.

This time, however, there is no printing/design/creative industry to support them through tough times. They made sure to piss them all off. (glossy displays anyone? )

The consumer market changes fast. Overnight sometimes. It would be wise for Apple to tread carefully with their quixotic approach of late, and play a little nicer... lest history repeat itself.

... or are they strong enough to be an island?
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Nice to see Apple giving everyone a choice of search engines. Choice is good.

Now if they would only let me choose my phone provider.

Once you have some phone providers using international standard cell-phone technologies then Apple will let you have you provider choice. CDMA sux.

Don't worry, LTE is coming and you'll have several carriers to choose from.
post #19 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Now, maybe well see more screenshots and know that they changed the main field to say Search too.

No.


(Taken from Apple Special Event, Get a Sneak Peek of iPhone OS 4.0, April 2010)
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiopigi View Post

Get your facts .
You can already with 3.1.2 (and as far as i remember even from 1.0.0) select your search provider, and if you've set "Yahoo!" as search provider, the button said "yahoo!"

So it won't ship with google defaulted? I like Google. Used to be Yahoo but the kept changing their home page to often. Maybe that's why.
post #21 of 59
1) It still states the search engine name in the search engine text field so any conspiracy that is Apple taking a stand against Google is a nonstarter.

2) I would love to have the Search feature allow me to choose between an internet search engine and searching for text on the page. Pretty much working just like on Safari on a Mac. IMo, there is enough space above search bar to add these buttons without taking up additional page space for the actual search results.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 59
It would be nice to see apple insider ignore the ad bait news for a change.
post #23 of 59
As long as it NEVER says Bing or MSN, I don't care what they call it!!
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) It still states the search engine name in the search engine text field so any conspiracy that is Apple taking a stand against Google is a nonstarter.

Exactly...

Not to mention... THIS IS HOW GOOGLE WANTS IT!!!

The long and short of it has to do with Genericized trademark and it's not something Google wasn't to have happen to them. While one might think it's "COOL" to have people refer to 'searching" as "GOOGLING" or "GOOGLED" as in "I googled that movie title last night..." it actually is or will possibly cause Google to loose their TM name...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Exactly...

Not to mention... THIS IS HOW GOOGLE WANTS IT!!!

The long and short of it has to do with Genericized trademark and it's not something Google wasn't to have happen to them. While one might think it's "COOL" to have people refer to 'searching" as "GOOGLING" or "GOOGLED" as in "I googled that movie title last night..." it actually is or will possibly cause Google to loose their TM name...

From my experience, that is a hard concept for many people to understand. They either seem to get it or no amount of explanation will work.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

From my experience, that is a hard concept for many people to understand. They either seem to get it or no amount of explanation will work.

Condescending.
post #27 of 59
You have choice. I changed mine to Bing. Hate the name but
it is so much faster.
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Nice to see Apple giving everyone a choice of search engines. Choice is good.

Now if they would only let me choose my phone provider.

ho do you know this is the case. someone pointed out that BING might be a default SE
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I am honestly surprised Apple hasn't launched their own search engine yet.

I'm not.

It would be difficult for Apple to run a general-purpose search engine to drive sales of their high-margin hardware. The world has plenty of unloved search engines (Yahoo, Cuil, Ask, etc.). Apple's tack is to address the mobile ad market instead, rather than build the search engine.
post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

The consumer market changes fast. Overnight sometimes. It would be wise for Apple to tread carefully with their quixotic approach of late, and play a little nicer... lest history repeat itself.

... or are they strong enough to be an island?

They are strong enough to kill every windmill. Dead.
post #31 of 59
I have OS4 and I can confirm that the Google/Yahoo branding is there.

This report is absolute BS.
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I have OS4 and I can confirm that the Google/Yahoo branding is there.

This report is absolute BS.

The article isn't BS. The search FIELD states Google or Yahoo but the BUTTON now states Search, instead of the respective search engines.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Apple is starting to flex.
Alienating MS, Google, Adobe, AT&T, MPAA, countless other developers...
Are they strong enough to be an island?

This is what happened to Apple in the late 80's/early 90's with desktop computing and allowed MS to clobber them - reducing their Market share to 1%.

This time, however, there is no printing/design/creative industry to support them through tough times. They made sure to piss them all off. (glossy displays anyone? )

The consumer market changes fast. Overnight sometimes. It would be wise for Apple to tread carefully with their quixotic approach of late, and play a little nicer... lest history repeat itself.

... or are they strong enough to be an island?

This is nothing like what happened in the 80's/early 90's - what kind of revisionist silliness are you reading that would lead you to even equate the two circumstances as even being remotely alike? Were you even sentient back then?? *grin*

Seriously , I really would like to hear what about this has any resemblance at all with the 80's & 90's (settles back into his easy chair). Go on son, I'm all ears....

(bear in mind I was out of college by then and working as a paid professional technologist. I also was walking with the very players that shaped how that part of the Electronic Age played out so be truthful and accurate)
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It would be difficult for Apple to run a general-purpose search engine to drive sales of their high-margin hardware. The world has plenty of unloved search engines (Yahoo, Cuil, Ask, etc.). Apple's tack is to address the mobile ad market instead, rather than build the search engine.

I think that's probably the smartest way to go. Google doesn't make their money from search anyways, not directly. Their money comes from ads.
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The article isn't BS. The search FIELD states Google or Yahoo but the BUTTON now states Search, instead of the respective search engines.

EXACTLY...

The issue at hand was calling the Action of the button "Google" when as the link above shows is NOT something Google wants anyone doing. As 'cute' as it sounds to have people saying...

"I'll google that for you right after lunch..."

It's actually causing a problem for them.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyok View Post

You have choice. I changed mine to Bing. Hate the name but
it is so much faster.

Unless I'm missing something, you can use the Bing search app but you can't make it the default search engine in Mobile Safari.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I have OS4 and I can confirm that the Google/Yahoo branding is there.

This report is absolute BS.

There is a big difference from the Mobile Safari search field (to the right of the address bar) showing which search engine you are configured for, and naming the bright blue search button (on the bottom right) with the name of the search service.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think that's probably the smartest way to go. Google doesn't make their money from search anyways, not directly. Their money comes from ads.

That's right.

Many people are simply unaware (or unwilling to admit) that Google's revenue stream is based on a closed-source, highly proprietary system known as AdWords. They claim that Google is the champion of open-source, the guardian of the little people, etc. That's B.S. Google is the world's largest Internet ad agency. That's what puts money in Google's coffers.

I'm a GOOG shareholder. It's right there in their SEC filings and quarterly earnings statements.
post #39 of 59
On iPhone OS 4. The google name is still there.

Apple should not drop Google as the default search engine. Google is the best search engine and I believe they are pay Apple 100 Million a year for the for the privilege of being the default. It would be outright foolish to drop them.

I could see Apple offering their own Map backend behind the iPhone Maps application in addition to the Google backend if they have some unique features.

Google search is simply the best!
post #40 of 59
Folks, this isn't a big deal. I've installed 4.0. Yes the button now says "search" (as it should) but it still says google up in the search field. It also gives you google suggestions. If anything, that shows there isn't a break in Google/Apple relations but possibly them working more together.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple removes Google branding from iPhone OS 4 search