or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe introduces Creative Suite 5.0

Adobe introduces Creative Suite 5.0

post #1 of 69
Adobe on Monday formally announced Adobe Creative Suite 5, the latest release of its design and creative workflow software that delivers full-version upgrades to all of the company's flagship creative tools in order to offer workflow enhancements to designers and developers.

Featuring integration with online content and digital marketing measurement and optimization capabilities for the first time, Creative Suite 5 products include access to Omniture technologies, to capture, store and analyze information generated by Web sites and other sources. Additionally, a brand new component, Adobe Flash Catalyst, joins the Creative Suite, ushering in the ability to design interactive content without writing code and improve the collaborative process between designer and developer.

"While Creative Suite 5 continues Adobes storied history of delivering astonishing new creative features, this release puts us front and center of the big issues facing publishers and creatives worldwide how to build businesses around digital assets and content," said Shantanu Narayen, president and chief executive officer, Adobe. "With Omniture Web technology were integrating critical business analytics directly into the creative process, shortening the time it takes to create and deploy high-impact content."

Due to to ship within the next 30 days, the Adobe CS5 product family also enables the creation of content and applications for Flash Player 10.1 and Adobe AIR 2, which Adobe says are optimized for high performance on mobile screens and designed to take advantage of native device capabilities for a richer, more immersive user experience.

Product Family

This release line-up includes the following Creative Suite 5 editions:
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection ($2599)
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium ($1899)
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Standard ($1299)
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Web Premium ($1799)
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Production Premium ($1699)
Included with the various suite editions are 15 point products, associated technologies and integration with new Adobe CS Live services: (CS Live online services are complimentary for a limited time.)
Photoshop CS5
Illustrator CS5
InDesign CS5
Acrobat 9 Pro
Flash Catalyst CS5
Flash Professional CS5
Flash Builder 4
Dreamweaver CS5
Fireworks CS5
Contribute CS5
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
After Effects CS5
Encore CS5
Soundbooth CS5
Adobe OnLocation CS5
Adobe Bridge CS5
Adobe Device Central CS5
Adobe Dynamic Link
Comparison Tool

Adobe offers a Creative Suite 5 editions comparison tool that breaks down the components included with each suite edition:

New Features

Among the suites major new features are:
Truer Edge technology in Photoshop CS5 Extended offers improved edge detecting technology and masking results in less time. Photoshop CS5 Extended also lets users remove an image element and immediately replace the missing pixels with Content-Aware Fill.
InDesign CS5 powers the transition to digital publishing with new interactive documents and enhanced eReader device support.
Native 64-bit support in Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects enables customers to work more fluidly on high resolution projects.
New Text Layout Framework in Flash Professional CS5 provides professional-level typography capabilities with functions like kerning, ligatures, tracking, leading, threaded text block and multiple columns.
New stroke options in Illustrator CS5 allow users to create strokes of variable widths and precisely adjust the width at any point along the stroke.
The NVIDIA GPU accelerated Adobe Mercury Playback Engine allows Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 users to open projects faster, refine effects-rich HD sequences in real time and play back complex projects without rendering.
The new Roto Brush tool in After Effects helps users save time by isolating moving foreground elements in a fraction of the normal time.
Dreamweaver CS5 now supports popular content management systems Drupal, Joomla! and WordPress, allowing designers to get accurate views of dynamic Web content from within Dreamweaver.
Adobe CS Live

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium also integrates with new Adobe CS Live, a set of five online services that accelerate key aspects of the creative workflow and enable designers to focus on creating their best work. CS Live online services are complimentary for a limited time and currently include:
Adobe BrowserLab, a tool for testing Web site content across different browsers and operating systems.
Adobe CS Review, which enables online design reviews directly from within Creative Suite 5 applications.
Access to Acrobat.com services, such as Adobe ConnectNow Web conferencing, to enhance discussion and information exchange with colleagues and clients around the globe.
Adobe Story, a collaborative script writing tool that improves production and post-production workflows in CS5 Production Premium.
SiteCatalyst NetAverages from Omniture, which provides Web usage data that helps reduce the guesswork early in the creative process when designing for Web and mobile.

Pricing and Availability

Adobe Creative Suite 5 and its associated point products are scheduled to ship within 30 days, with availability through Adobe Authorized Resellers, the Adobe Store and Adobe Direct Sales. At 11:00 am ET (8:00 am PT) today, Adobe will offer a live streaming preview of CS5 through its website.
post #2 of 69
You should too.
post #3 of 69
No 64 bit Illustrator no upgrades for my firm, guess we'll stay on CS3 for another 2 years. Can't stand these bundles either, we end up paying for a bunch of apps we never use, what a waste. I hate the monopoly Adobe has become in the creative biz.
post #4 of 69
Bloated software, bloated prices. I'll pass.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #5 of 69
OMG!! WHERE'S MY FLASH TO IPHONE SUPPORT?!

lol...

Just kidding =)
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Bloated software, bloated prices. I'll pass.

$200 to upgrade my Photoshop CS4 to CS5 isn't so bad.
post #7 of 69
Wow look at those prices! This practise of 'bundling' apps together is egregious as well. If you want to buy Photoshop you have to buy a bunch of other stuff that you may not want. It's like buying some eggs at the grocers only to be told you cannot have them unless you buy bacon too! Both the pricing and the bundling are indications of Adobe 'abusing their dominant market position' as the legal term has it. I cannot understand why the EU has not hauled them in and told them to play fair with consumers.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

$200 to upgrade my Photoshop CS4 to CS5 isn't so bad.

My entire Final Cut Pro Studio was $99 to upgrade last year and that included all the apps!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Wow look at those prices! This practise of 'bundling' apps together is egregious as well. If you want to buy Photoshop you have to buy a bunch of other stuff that you may not want....

You can still buy Photoshop by itself for $699.
post #10 of 69
If anyone fancies a chance of winning the CS5 Premium Edition just head over to the graphic design forum.

Really easy competition - just post a link somewhere, your blog, a forum and tell them in the comments where it is.
"Who are you going to believe, me or your eyes?"
post #11 of 69
just find a student and ask them to use their i.d. and get the entire bundle for around $500 from their school bookstore.

i did this years ago when i was in school. of course, now i have to pay around $500+ for the design suite upgrade, but it's still better than paying over a grand for it.
post #12 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My entire Final Cut Pro Studio was $99 to upgrade last year and that included all the apps!

Mine was $199. How'd you get yours for $99? Even still, Photoshop is still a good program and worth the $200 for me.
post #13 of 69
Jeezus . . . there's more bloat there than on a ten-dollar pork chop.
post #14 of 69
Again, too expensive. I passed on CS4, so now they are penalizing me by asking me to pay $800! for CS5 Premium. I think CS4 was about $600.

I don't want Flash. I would still like Dreamweaver, although it seems a lot of Web people are not using it anymore...
post #15 of 69
Yep, go for Coda instead.
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Wow look at those prices! This practise of 'bundling' apps together is egregious as well.

Yep. I need Photoshop and Illustrator (or something to replace them) and After Effects (to play around and see what all it can do) and I might end up paying the same amount getting them separate as I do in the bundle

The game for Adobe is that they have gotten so entrenched in the market that they are the 'standard' and so they can charge professional level prices. They do a nice education discount but getting that license isn't easy. You can't fake it and say you are a student. You have to prove it. In detail.

And they only do a 'consumer' version of Photoshop (elements) which is decent but programs like Pixelmator are catching up. And I think they still do a Premiere junior. But nothing else from what I recall.
post #17 of 69
Is it Cocoa 64 now?
post #18 of 69
Quote:

Mine was $199. How'd you get yours for $99? Even still, Photoshop is still a good program and worth the $200 for me.

I phoned up Apple and begged . Actually I did, I had just bought the previous update a few months earlier and asked if they'd cut me a break and they did. I buy through the business department as I get a lot of stuff. But yes, $199 was the full price but still one heck of a deal for all those apps, and what apps!!!
post #19 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Again, too expensive. I passed on CS4, so now they are penalizing me by asking me to pay $800! for CS5 Premium. I think CS4 was about $600.

I don't want Flash. I would still like Dreamweaver, although it seems a lot of Web people are not using it anymore...

I only want Photoshop these days.
post #20 of 69
Quote:

I phoned up Apple and begged . Actually I did, I had just bought the previous update a few months earlier and asked if they'd cut me a break and they did. I buy through the business department as I get a lot of stuff. But yes, $199 was the full price but still one heck of a deal for all those apps, and what apps!!!

Keep in mind also that that was from either previous suite. Not like Adobe where CS 3 to 4 was like a bump of $500 and CS1 or 2 to CS4 was like $800
post #21 of 69
Quote:

Wow, that's funny, I kinda did the same thing. Except for me, I had just purchased FCS 2 about 6 weeks before FCS 3 came out and there was no word on these forums that the release of FCS 3 was imminent. Needless to say, when I saw them announce FCS 3, I was pretty pissed. I called up the business dept. and like you, I asked if there was anything they could do. They were very accommodating and refunded the full upgrade price (what I paid) of FCS 2 and didn't charge me a restocking fee either. And yes, awesome apps!
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

What's wrong with Aperture?

Well Aperture's a competitor to Lightroom, not Photoshop. I find Aperture 3 to be wonderful, though. I used iPhoto for a couple of years and picked up Aperture and got the hang of it in no time. I could probably benefit at some point from adding in a pure image editor like Photoshop, but at this point I just don't see the need.

Aperture's editing tools are quite good but not as extensive as Photoshop's.
post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by devin View Post

OMG!! WHERE'S MY FLASH TO IPHONE SUPPORT?!

Thanks to powerful Adobe software, that feature could be eliminated in just a few days!

Adobe: working hard, to keep you compliant.
post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Thanks to powerful Adobe software, that feature could be eliminated in just a few days!

Adobe: working hard, to keep you compliant.

If Adobe was serious about it, they would have left the feature in and let Apple sort out all of the Apps that are submitted.

Looks like Steve has Adobe by the balls.
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Usually it is the features they leave OUT which is what makes Apple software a joy to use.

Oh, Agreed! That's very true. The nice thing about Aperture 3 is I can do everything in one place - managing photos, uploading them, editing them. No need to open up separate apps like in iPhoto. iPhoto's own tools are ok - very good for quick, one-touch corrections that usually look very good, but I always found my self using its "edit in an external program" feature and having to go into Photoshop or Pixelmator.

What I like about Aperture in particular is its interface: clean and well-organized.
post #26 of 69
Pass. I just paid $600 to upgrade to CS5 last year. In this economy, they should should have thought of their loyal base. Wake me when CS6 ships.
post #27 of 69
More over-priced bloatware.

When, if ever, will Adobe realize the drop in their stock underscores their business/marketing approach. Ya think they'd try to emulate Apple when it comes to putting their software into as many hands as possible.

Regarding Education packages, starting with CS4 - install is limited to one machine. Typical Adobe stupidity.

Looking forward to the eventual demise of Flash.
post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They do a nice education discount but getting that license isn't easy. You can't fake it and say you are a student. You have to prove it. In detail...

not true. just take the student with you when you go to the bookstore. they just need their student i.d. i suppose it wouldn't hurt to bring their class schedule, but that's really all there is to it. hell, i know a woman who is an employee of the u.c. system (the hospital) and she even gets discounts in the u.c. bookstore.

don't think it's that difficult. bottom line: how much is it worth to you to get the software at a decent price.
post #29 of 69
Just to add re: iPhoto.

Apple's smart here because they've got a complete photo-management system. Get em when they're just starting out, with iPhoto. They'll get interested in photography because iPhoto makes it so easy to make photos look good with just a couple of clicks. Then, when the hardcore iPhoto user finally wields a more expensive DSLR, encourage the move up to Aperture with the line: Pro Performance with iPhoto Simplicity.

Then, hit em up with the following:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/iphoto-to-aperture/

Brilliant.
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Regarding Education packages, starting with CS4 - install is limited to one machine...

easy solution:
install on 2 machines. deactivate one when you're not using the other one. if this is really that difficult, buy 2 copies. it's still probably cheaper with the student discount.
post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

No 64 bit Illustrator no upgrades for my firm, guess we'll stay on CS3 for another 2 years. Can't stand these bundles either, we end up paying for a bunch of apps we never use, what a waste. I hate the monopoly Adobe has become in the creative biz.

Do you have Illustrator files that are over 4 Gigs in size? I doubt it.

I don't think believe update is all that bad. $600 for all apps is a steal in my opinion.

As for the monopoly issue, I agree Freehand had some great features and Adobe seems too arrogant to implement them into Illustrator.
bb
bb
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Oh, Agreed! That's very true. The nice thing about Aperture 3 is I can do everything in one place - managing photos, uploading them, editing them. No need to open up separate apps like in iPhoto. iPhoto's own tools are ok - very good for quick, one-touch corrections that usually look very good, but I always found my self using its "edit in an external program" feature and having to go into Photoshop or Pixelmator.

What I like about Aperture in particular is its interface: clean and well-organized.

The analogue of Apple Aperture is Adobe Lightroom not Photoshop. And it costs $299 for regular customer and $99 for students
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
post #33 of 69
currently, when i import text from photoshop files to flash, either as editable text or vectors or even bitmaps, flash screws with the formatting. and the existing type options simply don't work.

i downloaded their 'text layout' extension (beta) from adobe labs and, almost immediately, stopped using it. it was ridiculously counter-intuitive (even for a beta). i'm stumped. for the life of me, i can't figure out why they can't port the type engine/interface from photoshop or (even better) illustrator.

does anyone know anything about the new text editing feature in flash cs5?

also, is the entire suite 64-bit for the mac, or just photoshop?
post #34 of 69
If you think these prices are high, you should see the European pricing. Ouch!

Still, some of the features do look amazing.
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

The analogue of Apple Aperture is Adobe Lightroom not Photoshop.

Yes, I mentioned that.
post #36 of 69
W00t! Comments are fixed!

FWIW, I pre-ordered Photoshop CS5 for Mac last night.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #37 of 69
Quote:

You can still buy Photoshop by itself for $699.

You can also "upgrade" from pretty much any old copy of PSE for Mac going back to version 4.0 for $599.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch1984 View Post

Is it Cocoa 64 now?

Yes. Given the appropriate OS and hardware.

Edit: Thanks, gmcalpin. Yes, I thought were only talking about Photoshop. Yes, there are a number of the other CS apps that aren't 64-bit Cocoa yet.

post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Do you have Illustrator files that are over 4 Gigs in size? I doubt it.

32-bit apps like Illustrator CS4 and… apparently CS5, too… are limited to addressing 2 cores and 2GB of RAM under 10.5 or 4GB of RAM under 10.6.

Rendering and re-rendering a hefty AI file with lots of effects and transparency would definitely benefit from more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Yes. Given the appropriate OS and hardware.

The press release only stats that "Native 64-bit support in Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects enables customers to work more fluidly on high resolution projects."

Until I get some kind of confirmation otherwise (I've asked Adobe via about half a dozen channels so far), I think that indicates none of the other applications are 64-bit native.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You can also "upgrade" from pretty much any old copy of PSE for Mac going back to version 4.0 for $599.

Yes, I know. I'll be upgrading my CS4 to CS5 for $200.
post #40 of 69
Quote:

Yes, I know. I'll be upgrading my CS4 to CS5 for $200.

I was (pleasantly) surprised that Adobe will allow the $200 upgrade price for older versions of Ps going back to Photoshop CS2.

But pretty much anyone should be able to scrounge up an old copy of PSE somewhere and save a benjamin for their trouble...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe introduces Creative Suite 5.0