or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe introduces Creative Suite 5.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe introduces Creative Suite 5.0 - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I was (pleasantly) surprised that Adobe will allow the $200 upgrade price for older versions of Ps going back to Photoshop CS2.

But pretty much anyone should be able to scrounge up an old copy of PSE somewhere and save a benjamin for their trouble...

Got my copy of CS4 at the upgrade price when I bought my Wacom tablet. It came bundled with Ps-LE if I recall.
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

No 64 bit Illustrator no upgrades for my firm, guess we'll stay on CS3 for another 2 years. Can't stand these bundles either, we end up paying for a bunch of apps we never use, what a waste. I hate the monopoly Adobe has become in the creative biz.

I guess you don't do much collaboration. We can't seem to go a month after a new CS release before somebody sends is a file we can't open. That is usually what prompts us to upgrade. Furthermore once there is one upgraded version in the office the compatibility issues just worsen so everyone in our group has to upgrade.

Seriously I'm considering one master collection and then going back to upgrading the individual apps as necessary on the other machines.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Do you have Illustrator files that are over 4 Gigs in size? I doubt it.

I don't think believe update is all that bad. $600 for all apps is a steal in my opinion.

As for the monopoly issue, I agree Freehand had some great features and Adobe seems too arrogant to implement them into Illustrator.


Actually yes. We build enormous multiple page tiled documents of technical drawings. We import a lot of CAD files and place some images. Not always above 4 gig's but frequently large files. We're not drawing logos, I'll put it that way. If I had a dime for every hour I've lost to Illustrator crashes I'd be retired. I wish they would take the time to create a stable, fast array of app's (particularly Illustrator) and quit with all the crap upgrades that only introduce a few new tools, tricks, whatever.
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

If you think these prices are high, you should see the European pricing. Ouch!

Still, some of the features do look amazing.

Yes, some people are complaining about Adobe's price but what about the shameful european politic prices:
USA: Adobe CS5 Premium: 1697 $
France or Europe: Adobe CS5 Premium: the equivalent of: 3000 $

I won't pay this price !!!!!!!

Please Apple could you buy Adobe !!!!
post #45 of 69
Wait a minute... is this a paid advertisement? There are affiliate links. There is no review. There is what amounts to a press release from Adobe... yet I don't see the words "ADVERTISEMENT" anywhere.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

The analogue of Apple Aperture is Adobe Lightroom not Photoshop. And it costs $299 for regular customer and $99 for students

If you read his comments again, he never compares Aperture with Photoshop. He says that he stills needs something like photoshop to really edit his pictures.
post #47 of 69
I'm unclear on what the minimum requirements are to run CS5. It apparently requires a "multicore" Mac? About how old a Mac can you have that CS5 will install on?
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinspace View Post

I'm unclear on what the minimum requirements are to run CS5. It apparently requires a "multicore" Mac? About how old a Mac can you have that CS5 will install on?

If you check the system requirements of the individual apps, you'll be able to figure out what the minimum requirements are for any of the suites. Photoshop CS5, for example, requires a dual-core Intel Mac with 1GB of RAM and 2GB of disc space. Check out the link. I can only assume, based on the lack of any further information, that it'll work on older iMacs, MacBook Pros and Mac Pros as long as they meet the graphics requirements.
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If you check the system requirements of the individual apps, you'll be able to figure out what the minimum requirements are for any of the suites. Photoshop CS5, for example, requires a dual-core Intel Mac with 1GB of RAM and 2GB of disc space. Check out the link.

Yes, thank you! However, that continues to confuse me...when did dual-core Macs first appear? I work with a variety of Macs of different ages so I'm trying to determine which ones we'll be able to install it on. Were the very first Intel Macs dual core? So you could say "any Intel-based Mac" can handle it?

Ah, found the info in the FAQ--yes, any Intel Mac will accommodate CS5. PowerPC users are out of luck.
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Bloated software, bloated prices. I'll pass.

Yeah, Adobe's pricing and suites is a pain in the arse.
The only way to buy Photoshop and After Effects is to buy a "suite" with Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Premiere, After Effects, Soundbooth, Onlocation and Encore at the cost of $1699. Then they say "heyyy buddyyy, look at how much you get for the moneyyy! Yeey!"

Why not give us the opportunity to buy the software we want at decent prices to start with? I hate bundles. Bundles is a way to push unwanted things onto people.

For instance Apple bundles Motion with Final Cut, because they know Motion isn't what they hoped for. It's the only way to place it in the customers' hands. Then, they can say "Hey, we sold millions of copies of Motion making it the most used post production software" blablabla.. Same goes with the Adobe CS bundles.. just that it's really expensive.

post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinspace View Post

Yes, thank you! However, that continues to confuse me...when did dual-core Macs first appear? I work with a variety of Macs of different ages so I'm trying to determine which ones we'll be able to install it on. Were the very first Intel Macs dual core? So you could say "any Intel-based Mac" can handle it?

Ah, found the info in the FAQ--yes, any Intel Mac will accommodate CS5. PowerPC users are out of luck.

Which apps specifically are you interested in using? Even though the FAQ may state that "any Intel Mac" will be able to handle it, the program in question will make a difference. For example, you'll have much better luck running Photoshop CS5 on an '06 or '07 CoreDuo MBP than you would trying to run PremierePro CS5. It's also still going to boil down to how much RAM your system(s) are capable of. The 1st Intel-based MBPs will be limited to a maximum of 2GB of RAM. As for PowerPC users, they've been out of luck for a while now. They can't even upgrade to SL.
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Yeah, Adobe's pricing and suites is a pain in the arse.
The only way to buy Photoshop and After Effects is to buy a "suite" with Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Premiere, After Effects, Soundbooth, Onlocation and Encore at the cost of $1699. Then they say "heyyy buddyyy, look at how much you get for the moneyyy! Yeey!"

Technically, because the individual pricing is so outrageous for Photoshop and AfterEffects, you'd end up paying $1,998 for the two programs if purchased individually. Though you'd be getting a few programs you don't really need, the Production Premium suite is really the better deal because you get the two programs you want (and then some) for $1,699. Not a huge savings, but it's something.
post #53 of 69
Is it just me or is this the most boring product release ever?

I like how the most expensive package you can get includes everything except the one product people actually use Adobe for.

I've always considered Adobe's products to be over priced and this just confirms it. I think there was more feature releases in Pixelmator and Flux than in this entire package put together. I've found my creative suite:

Pixelmator
Flux
Coda
Aperture 3

Total Price: $698.85(NZ)

That's $987.94(NZ) LESS than the cheapest bundle and gives you a really good web development kit as opposed to ANY of those bundles because there is no bundle that includes DreamWeaver AND Photoshop.
post #54 of 69
That's a lot of $$ for Content-Aware Fill, but all the same, that's an awesome feature.
post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


That's $987.94(NZ) LESS than the cheapest bundle and gives you a really good web development kit as opposed to ANY of those bundles because there is no bundle that includes DreamWeaver AND Photoshop.

You seem to have all of your software requirements set, however just for information, the Adobe Design Premium edition does include Photoshop (Extended) and Dreamweaver.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You seem to have all of your software requirements set, however just for information, the Adobe Design Premium edition does include Photoshop (Extended) and Dreamweaver.

Sorry I missed that. Is this better or worse than the normal Photoshop? I'm picking being Extended it is supposedly better.

That being said I can add Blender for 3D for free to my package. Hell, I could add Kinemac for an extra $388.26 and still be $599.68 better off.

Of course my package for me is less because I got Aperture 3 as an upgrade price and I got Kinemac as part of the MacHeist bundle.
post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Actually yes. We build enormous multiple page tiled documents of technical drawings. We import a lot of CAD files and place some images. Not always above 4 gig's but frequently large files. We're not drawing logos, I'll put it that way. If I had a dime for every hour I've lost to Illustrator crashes I'd be retired. I wish they would take the time to create a stable, fast array of app's (particularly Illustrator) and quit with all the crap upgrades that only introduce a few new tools, tricks, whatever.

That sounds like a job for InDesign, not Illustrator!
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

$200 to upgrade my Photoshop CS4 to CS5 isn't so bad.

By Adobe standards, maybe. For all of the features that _should_ have been in the CS4 version (i.e., better multi-processor handling and memory management, in particular), $200 is highway robbery.

Frankly, the pricing structure for all of the various components makes my head hurt. I think they've spent more time on their marketing strategies than the actual programs in the suite (more like a squad or platoon). And now they have a "Photoshop Extended" -- WTF?!?!?

I think Adobe's taken a page from Microsoft's multiple-versions-of-Windows strategy and gone to the next super-crazy level.
post #59 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That's a lot of $$ for Content-Aware Fill, but all the same, that's an awesome feature.

I can't wait to test the distortion corrections in the Lens Correction tool; I'd like to get DxO out of my workflow if Lr+Ps could do the same job. (I'm still waiting for DxO 6 for Mac to ship...)

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

$200 to upgrade my Photoshop CS4 to CS5 isn't so bad.

Content Aware Fill will pay for itself in no time.

I can't wait to get my hands on it.
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinspace View Post

I'm unclear on what the minimum requirements are to run CS5. It apparently requires a "multicore" Mac? About how old a Mac can you have that CS5 will install on?

Just about every Mac made has been multicore or multiprocessor for quite a few years. You're not really going to spend $1600 on a software suite and then be too cheap to buy a decent Mac to run it on, are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Content Aware Fill will pay for itself in no time.

Funny that people will take that view with a $1600 software package, but when they get vastly greater productivity from a Mac which costs a couple hundred dollars more, it's 'too expensive'.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Sorry I missed that. Is this better or worse than the normal Photoshop? I'm picking being Extended it is supposedly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

And now they have a "Photoshop Extended" -- WTF?!?!?

There is a Photoshop Extended with CS4. What's so shocking/offensive about it, Doug?

Lowededwookie: Extended has some video, animation and 3D tools that people working ONLY with still images don't need in any way, shape or form. If you don't need it don't get it. Or surrender your right to complain about it being "bloated."

It comes with the Design Premium version because… well, because. If you pay that much for the full suite, of course they'll give you the most feature complete version.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
post #63 of 69
Adobe CS torrents are always fun.
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Just to add re: iPhoto.

Apple's smart here because they've got a complete photo-management system. Get em when they're just starting out, with iPhoto. They'll get interested in photography because iPhoto makes it so easy to make photos look good with just a couple of clicks. Then, when the hardcore iPhoto user finally wields a more expensive DSLR, encourage the move up to Aperture with the line: Pro Performance with iPhoto Simplicity.

Then, hit em up with the following:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/iphoto-to-aperture/

Brilliant.

You might find aperture for a photographer but in no way does it cone close for ad/post production work like Photoshop and like Apple, they are making the hard things much quicker and easier to do and so much faster.
post #65 of 69
If you aren't a hard core Adobe CS Suite power user it's easy to replace the applications with other applications such as Aperture, Pixelmator, RapidWeaver, Lineform etc.

I used to use CS suite exclusively because I could download it for free. Never used the suite to make a living. It was all in good fun. I'll still download CS5 and try it out for fun, but I have made the switch to the applications above because Adobe applications are too CPU intensive.

They are great apps with great OS X GUIs.

I'm still deciding between Lightroom and Aperture though.
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post



Funny that people will take that view with a $1600 software package, but when they get vastly greater productivity from a Mac which costs a couple hundred dollars more, it's 'too expensive'.

Not sure I get your point there.

I use an i7 PC at work with Photoshop CS4 (soon CS5) and 3DS Max 2010 (soon 2011). How would I be more productive on a Mac?
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinspace View Post

I'm unclear on what the minimum requirements are to run CS5. It apparently requires a "multicore" Mac? About how old a Mac can you have that CS5 will install on?

If you have a core solo, its not for you.
post #68 of 69
I wish I could do content-aware fill on some of my relatives.

"Your Uncle Ned is coming to dinner tonight, and he's bringing his mother, plus their vacation slides."

"No he's not."

"How come?"

"I made him part of wall."

"Oh good."
post #69 of 69
I do some work with Adobe, and actually, the Creative Suite 5 Student and Teacher Editions have all the features and functionality of the commercial edition.
The cost of Adobe Student and Teacher Editions is up to 80% off the fully-priced product, and you can always purchase commercial upgrades after you graduate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe introduces Creative Suite 5.0