or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4.0 beta includes linked contacts, iChat sounds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 4.0 beta includes linked contacts, iChat sounds

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
A couple of new discoveries were made this past weekend by developers familiarizing themselves with the first external beta of Apple's iPhone 4.0 operating system, namely the addition of a linked contacts feature and the presence of iChat sounds in the resource files.

Linked Contacts

As can be seen below, a new version of the Contacts app due to ship with this summer's release will let users link multiple contacts together to form unified contact lists. The option "Link New Contacts" appears at the base of each contact info pane.

Once a linked contact has been added to a primary contact, the info pane for the primary contact merges that contact information for both contacts into a single pane relabeled as "Unified Info." An option at the base of the unified pane lists the number of linked contacts and directs users to a "Linked Contacts" pane to merge even more contacts into the unified list.



iChat Sounds

And as if there weren't enough evidence mounting to suggest Apple is preparing to release a mobile version of its iChat video conference software for its iPhone OS devices, the folks over at iphonehacks.it have tacked on a bit more.

Specifically, they found inside the iPhone 4.0 resources a folder containing reproductions of iChat's sounds that are heard when sending an audio/video chat invitation and accepting an audio/video chat invitation.



Recent rumors have suggested that Apple's forth-generation iPhone, due for release this summer alongside iPhone Software 4.0, could include a forward-facing video camera in addition to the standard camera located on the rear of the handset.



Last week, AppleInsider also discovered the presence of iChatAgent running in the background of iPhones updated with iPhone Software 4.0 beta.
post #2 of 48
The kind that are not afraid, and did their home works well enough to not get caught.

This is going to be a hell of a year for my bank account.
post #3 of 48
The real question is WHEN - when will 4.0 and new iPhones be released? I assume a betting man would gamble on June?

And - when is Apple going to give this iPhone/iPad software a name? IMHO, it needs one.
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

What were the release dates for the previous models?

Mid-June to mid-July time frame. Full announcement of release dates at WWDC.
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Just because they didn't get caught doesn't make it right.

Should we be glorifying these guys with media attention?

did you forget last year? apple turns a blind eye because it's free PR. and they always use someone else to release information so they can change anything at anytime and not have to answer why they did it
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last week, AppleInsider also discovered the presence of iChatAgent running in the background of iPhone's updated with iPhone Software 4.0 beta.

Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.
post #7 of 48
By naming it the iPhone OS, they got around calling it Mobile, Compact or any other lesser sounding name AND avoided confusion with full-blown OS X. Pretty smart: branding it to your most popular product.

But now, with the Touch, the 10" tablet, and smaller tablets waiting in the wings, they are spreading it kinda thin. iPhone OS now seems too small of a title for the versatile, and powerful tablets.

What I would do is name the OS for the tablets the iPad OS, but I would keep the OS completely identical to the iPhone OSjust change the name. That will end confusion with the public without gumming up the development cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

The real question is WHEN - when will 4.0 and new iPhones be released? I assume a betting man would gamble on June?

And - when is Apple going to give this iPhone/iPad software a name? IMHO, it needs one.
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post

By naming it the iPhone OS, they got around calling it Mobile, Compact or any other lesser sounding name AND avoided confusion with full-blown OS X. Pretty smart: branding it to your most popular product.

But now, with the Touch, the 10" tablet, and smaller tablets waiting in the wings, they are spreading it kinda thin. iPhone OS now seems too small of a title for the versatile, and powerful tablets.

What I would do is name the OS for the tablets the iPad OS, but I would keep the OS completely identical to the iPhone OSjust change the name. That will end confusion with the public without gumming up the development cycle.

I like the simple route by going with iOS, as some of us have been doing already. I know it may sound weird to some, but it can cover anything, and it's easy to say, and does have a certain "ring" to it.
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post

What I would do is name the OS for the tablets the iPad OS, but I would keep the OS completely identical to the iPhone OSjust change the name. That will end confusion with the public without gumming up the development cycle.

Then what will we get? Mac OS X, iPhone OS and iPad OS? If they drop the iPhone OS and uses iPad OS then it will create confusion for future iPhone users.

I don't think there needs to be a name change, if it does, Mobile OS seems grand. I don't think it sounds any "less" of an OS than OS X, just an OS that is specific for mobile devices.
post #10 of 48
So this looks like its finally going to land. iChat for iPhone. This, and it's near worthless video chat, will be the highlight of the new iPhone, as well a nice updated hardware look, rest of 4.0 software, A4 chip, and playback/video recording of 720p content, landing it the name iPhone HD. 16, 32, and 64 gb models, at $99 and up by 100. Best value iPhone to date. Fastest and most capable iPhone to date.

Announced at wwdc last week of June, iPhone HD released by second week of July. 4.0 to ship on it. 4.0 release on or around the same day.

September event: iPod touch A4 w/ camera (maybe 2 cameras), iPad OS 4.0, and iTunes X (64 bit, Cocoa, and Streaming).
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

iPhone OS 4.0 will not work on the iPad until extensive tweaks are made, which will take many, many months.

iPad will work with iPhone 4.0 once its out. Remember its not Micro$oft we are talking about here.
post #12 of 48
I probably should know this by now, but what network is used for iChat?

Is it mobileme to mobileme? Can you use it to talk across other networks like MSN etc?

If it's just mobileme users isn't that kinda limited or therefore not much to really care about?
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post

I probably should know this by now, but what network is used for iChat?

Is it mobileme to mobileme? Can you use it to talk across other networks like MSN etc?

If it's just mobileme users isn't that kinda limited or therefore not much to really care about?

AOL and mobileme I think
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

AOL and mobileme I think

Yep, MobileMe, AIM, Jabber & GoogleTalk all play nice together.
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Yep, MobileMe, AIM, Jabber & GoogleTalk all play nice together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

AOL and mobileme I think

Cool. Thanks guys!
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.

Interesting as that may be. I was trying to ask somebody how many As they got last semester. How would you recommend I do that without an apostrophe? As is would appear to say As.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Nope. You will not be able to load iPhone OS 4.0 onto the iPad. Not until it is extensively reworked, according to Apple. They hope to have it modified sufficiently by next fall.

And as of now, iPhone OS 3.2 will not work on the iPhone.

Yep. You will be able to load ios 4 on the ipad.
The release dates aren't going to be exactly the same day because of the form factor difference.
This fall both will be running ios 4. Having two different os names for the same os would be silly.
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Interesting as that may be. I was trying to ask somebody how many As they got last semester. How would you recommend I do that without an apostrophe? As is would appear to say As.

I would suggest "A"s.
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Nope. You will not be able to load iPhone OS 4.0 onto the iPad. Not until it is extensively reworked, according to Apple. They hope to have it modified sufficiently by next fall.

And as of now, iPhone OS 3.2 will not work on the iPhone.

It's expected that the two versions will be resolved into one, possibly with the fall release for the iPad. If that happens, I would imagine that as with Mac OS X, older products, and lessor products will simply not be able to run some features, but that the OS will will load on all of them. That is, unless the hardware is too far out of date as it seems to be with the iPhone 2g and 1st gen. Touch.

I was hoping that the original models would get this one last upgrade, but the 128 MB RAM seems to be falling short of needs.
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.

My understanding is that it is "grudgingly OK" to do this when the noun is an acronym, as in the question "how many PDF's did you send me?" Another poster suggested another use case "how many A's did your son get?" that seems like a tolerable exception as well.

Thompson
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Just because they didn't get caught doesn't make it right.

Should we be glorifying these guys with media attention?

At some point, Apple should think about inserting a subtle watermark into the iPhone software simulator that would show up over several frames of video (sort of like one of the modern bardcodes) enabling them to catch the source of the leaks and permanently ridding them from the Appleverse.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

My understanding is that it is "grudgingly OK" to do this when the noun is an acronym, as in the question "how many PDF's did you send me?" Another poster suggested another use case "how many A's did your son get?" that seems like a tolerable exception as well.

Thompson

Let's get this straightened out:

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-English-P...tion-Correctly
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

I thought those developers were bound by an NDA?

Who keeps doing this sort of thing?

Oh... thats easy.... this is all the evil doings of a:

Justin Barelyfarts
5 Tall Cedar Road
Goose Island, Oregon 97103

The first person who correctly connected the address wins the Internet.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I like the simple route by going with iOS, as some of us have been doing already. I know it may sound weird to some, but it can cover anything, and it's easy to say, and does have a certain "ring" to it.

As long as you don't call it "iPOS".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

But that would be just as inaccurate as Iphone OS. And besides, the two devices don't use the same OS - the iPad uses 3.2 and the iPhone uses 3.1.3.

iPhone OS 4.0 will not work on the iPad until extensive tweaks are made, which will take many, many months.

Why not just call the fragments two different OSs and be done with it?

At this point, we have no way of knowing if future iPads will have built-in phone capability, so I say keep 'em guessing.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #26 of 48
As much as I like Adium, I wish they added MSN to iChat.
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As long as you don't call it "iPOS".

Well, uh...
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, uh...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, uh...

And I thought I was a big nerd...
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

And I thought I was a big nerd...

I guess we all are!
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Just because they didn't get caught doesn't make it right.

Should we be glorifying these guys with media attention?

This is a site for Apple news and rumors. Most of the rumors involve someone disclosing information they shouldn't. It could be info from the iPhone beta, spy photos of future hardware or screenshots from Best Buy revealing future MacBook Pros.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.

The bottom line is, instead of stating broad grammatical rules to criticize the author's competency, why don't you just politely point out the mistake?
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Once they change OS 4.0 so it will work on the iPad, do you think that it will be the same as this summer's iPhone version?

Or will both be updated to 4.1? Or will they stay different?

I hope that this doesn't mean fragmentation.

As I said just a short while ago, this will be like OS X. One OS, with different machines using what they can of the latest release. This isn't fragmentation as such, because all new devices will be on the same version with the same features. The iPad will always have more abilities than the smaller devices, like the Mac Pro to the Macbook, though, if Gruber is correct, the new phone may have a slightly larger screen with possibly 960x 640 rez, to bring them closer together (though, there's no way readability will be passed from the iPad down to the smaller screen because fonts would be too small).
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Just because they didn't get caught doesn't make it right.

Should we be glorifying these guys with media attention?

Welcome to the internet.

The cool thing is that Apple is completely aware of this. Sites like Apple Insider are a big part of their marketing machine... Rumours/secretes (both true and untrue) help to build the frenzied anticipation of their products. At this point OS 4 is done and just in QA mode. I'm willing to bet the OS team is already working fulltime on the iPad version....

With iPhone 4.0, I hope Apple releases incremental upgrades throughout the year... They did this with OS 1 and 2 and I think it kept it fresh and interesting...It also keeps your competetion on their toes... I'm so excited about the new features! The Bluetooth keyboard option is brilliant! Is that something that can even be done with an Android phone?

GO APPLE!!!
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.

Not quite. See

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Apostrophes

which says,

An exception ... is in the case of making a single letter plural. Therefore, Why are there so many i's in the word "indivisibility"? is correct.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Welcome to the internet.

The cool thing is that Apple is completely aware of this. Sites like Apple Insider are a big part of their marketing machine... Rumours/secretes (both true and untrue) help to build the frenzied anticipation of their products. At this point OS 4 is done and just in QA mode. I'm willing to bet the OS team is already working fulltime on the iPad version....

Welcome to the internet yourself...

Apple doesn't LIKE the leaking of secrets* unless said 'secrets' aren't really 'secret' anymore. The are NOT afraid to go after Apple 'Fan' Sites with the same legal wolf-pack that they'd use to go after someone who who was infringing on one of their patents. Okay not the 'same' wolf-pack but the pack right down the hall from the patent lawyers.

They do use 'controlled leaks' when it is to their advantage... like dulling expectations for an iPod Touch having a camera... or an iPhone having a front facing camera or even to project a notion that the tablet was going to be sold at a higher price then it turned out to be... Look back at the 'rumors' right before the launch... there was 'rumors' of the tablet possibly costing upwards of $899-999... Then when launch day came and the entry level price was $499 people were happily surprised.

*Secrets being anything covered by an NDA that hasn't been made public...

This being said... Apple has been somewhat more relaxed about NDA protected information that is now 'openly' available to anyone who signs up to one of the Apple developer programs. If a developer was brazen enough to shout it from the rooftops then Apple still might react (to set an example) but lets face it.. once the SDK is released the information is OUT.

Make no mistakes about AI and Apples relationship tho... Apple has taken them to court (or filed suit anyway) not too many years ago... and believe me it didn't do Apples Image any good in the process.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Welcome to the internet yourself...

Apple doesn't LIKE the leaking of secrets* unless said 'secrets' aren't really 'secret' anymore. The are NOT afraid to go after Apple 'Fan' Sites with the same legal wolf-pack that they'd use to go after someone who who was infringing on one of their patents. Okay not the 'same' wolf-pack but the pack right down the hall from the patent lawyers.

They do use 'controlled leaks' when it is to their advantage... like dulling expectations for an iPod Touch having a camera... or an iPhone having a front facing camera or even to project a notion that the tablet was going to be sold at a higher price then it turned out to be... Look back at the 'rumors' right before the launch... there was 'rumors' of the tablet possibly costing upwards of $899-999... Then when launch day came and the entry level price was $499 people were happily surprised.

*Secrets being anything covered by an NDA that hasn't been made public...

This being said... Apple has been somewhat more relaxed about NDA protected information that is now 'openly' available to anyone who signs up to one of the Apple developer programs. If a developer was brazen enough to shout it from the rooftops then Apple still might react (to set an example) but lets face it.. once the SDK is released the information is OUT.

Make no mistakes about AI and Apples relationship tho... Apple has taken them to court (or filed suit anyway) not too many years ago... and believe me it didn't do Apples Image any good in the process.


I think were agreeing.... Before a products release, Apple certainly does a lockdown on any information getting out. You look at the iPad, that thing was in development for 2-5 years... When you think of all those hands that touched the product during dev, it's trully amazing that not a single photo or real bit of info came out until days before release... I don't know exactly how many devs are involved in the OS 4 QA, but I think it's on a pretty massive scale (I've had 4 frends who did OSX testing). As I said in my post, With the beta, Apple has to assume it's now public (how crazy was it that someone created a jailbreak version in 1 day?!). At this point it's just about getting OS4 bulletproof for the general public... I'm sure they're already working on the next steps..
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinge View Post

I think were agreeing.... Before a products release, Apple certainly does a lockdown on any information getting out. You look at the iPad, that thing was in development for 2-5 years... When you think of all those hands that touched the product during dev, it's trully amazing that not a single photo or real bit of info came out until days before release... I don't know exactly how many devs are involved in the OS 4 QA, but I think it's on a pretty massive scale (I've had 4 frends who did OSX testing). As I said in my post, With the beta, Apple has to assume it's now public (how crazy was it that someone created a jailbreak version in 1 day?!). At this point it's just about getting OS4 bulletproof for the general public... I'm sure they're already working on the next steps..

Agreed
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

How would you recommend I do that without an apostrophe?

http://www.angryflower.com/aposter.html
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Interesting as that may be. I was trying to ask somebody how many As they got last semester. How would you recommend I do that without an apostrophe? As is would appear to say As.

The letter A is used an an indefinite article. The letter A used for grades would be a noun, however the letter grade A also represents a level of understanding or achievement and therefore can also be an adjective. I would put it like this: How many "A"s did you get last semester? I would use the quotation marks marks and the plural S. Just a thought.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4.0 beta includes linked contacts, iChat sounds