or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 139
Makes me wonder if Apple has sold close to a million WiFi iPads yet... they must be getting close by now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #42 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Google shareholders are not going to be happy, either. Ever since the introduction of the Nexus One, GOOG shares have been down a lot. In terms of sales, the Nexus One has been a flop !! Google is not a hardware company. Why are they bothering with developing hardware products?

Google knows how to do desktop search. Unfortunately, there is no evidence that they know how to do anything else.

First off, HTC IS a hardware company. HTC made the Nexus One, not Google.

Second off, you are telling me that Google doesn't know how to do anything other than a desktop search. So you don't think Gmail is very successful, or that Google Calendar is either? What about Google Docs? Google Voice?
post #43 of 139
Steve to Al Gore... "It's feeling a little less chilly around here since we got rid of Eric"

OMG here we go again...
Reply
OMG here we go again...
Reply
post #44 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

If Android is any indication, exponential growth is what happens.

If Google can match the processing power and 10 hour battery life, this device will take off.

Android is open source and the Android market is an open market. This all leads to higher competition, which leads to better products.

It's probably best to wait until Android actually passes MS' dismal share first, if market share growth be your measure of success.

25% is a long way away, and June is just around the corner. The competition tends not to like June, for some reason.
post #45 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

If open source meant success, the market share of Linux would have been more than Windows by now.

Linux is a purpose built operating system. It's not designed for consumer use. And I wouldn't call linux a complete failure because it runs over half of the web's servers.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #46 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Since the Newton, Apple has been the thought leaders in this field. It's true they had a dry spell for awhile in there between the death of the Newton and eMate and the birth of the iPhone, but Apple has a pretty long history in the space.

the newton didn't die - it got steved!
post #47 of 139
Google may have a bigger hill to climb than they thought...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/German...73130.html?x=0
OMG here we go again...
Reply
OMG here we go again...
Reply
post #48 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's probably best to wait until Android actually passes MS' dismal share first, if market share growth be your measure of success.

25% is a long way away, and June is just around the corner. The competition tends not to like June, for some reason.

According to this report, there's only one smartphone OS over 25%

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2010/r2010021.html

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #49 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

I think that the iPad is the birth of a whole new class of device which will eventually cover a huge range of uses both in the home and the workplace. The potential market for these devices is massive and Apple couldn't possibly cater for all the variations required, even if they wished to (which I doubt). Therefore there is plenty of scope for other device manufacturers to come to the party, and if they can come up with something half decent there is no reason why they couldn't happily flourish in such a diverse market, albeit a diverse market where Apple sets the standard.

Excellent post. There are a bunch of Tablet designs in the oven right now. Apple's first to market with a high volume model but Android will be right behind them.

Of course Androids will come out and eventually we'll see cheap iPad knockoffs with crappy screens and 10 USB ports for that EXXXXXTREME marketing touch. We should enjoy the quality while we can. The race to the bottom is coming.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #50 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

According to this report, there's only one smartphone OS over 25%

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2010/r2010021.html

I meant US share.

Though the touchscreen numbers are interesting . . .
post #51 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Excellent post. There are a bunch of Tablet designs in the oven right now. Apple's first to market with a high volume model but Android will be right behind them.

Of course Androids will come out and eventually we'll see cheap iPad knockoffs with crappy screens and 10 USB ports for that EXXXXXTREME marketing touch. We should enjoy the quality while we can. The race to the bottom is coming.

Don't sound so gloom. There will always be a place in the market for premium products. And as long as Apple is still in the game, there will always be the iPad.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #52 of 139
I was on the fence about waiting for v2 of the iPad - but if competition is ramping up sooner than expected, I will definitely wait a year or so to see what new hardware is being created for an Android-based device.
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
post #53 of 139
It seems to me a knock-off of any Apple product I have seen is thus far, ill-conceived. Moves like this by Google and even Microsoft's poo poo colored Zune serve only to delineate the scale of good, better and best. The GooglePad and the Zune's mere existence helps supplant any charge that Apple has monopolized any of its product categories. Therefore this can be construed as a compliment for Apple. Imitation is the best form of flattery.
post #54 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

I was on the fence about waiting for v2 of the iPad - but if competition is ramping up sooner than expected, I will definitely wait a year or so to see what new hardware is being created for an Android-based device.

You can wait two years and it still won't be in the same league as Apple App Store/software ecosystem.

But why focus on the hardware so much? All that hardware is bloody useless without great software behind it. It isn't just about the hardware. It's about what runs on the device and how good it is. Apple understands this better than anyone.
post #55 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesamattki View Post

Google takes little risk? Have you ever heard of the Chrome OS? 7 second start up time, mainly cloud-based? No... that's not risky or a first at ALLLLL. But yeah, any GOOD OS that isn't Windows running on a tablet is a ripoff of Apple.

So what about Chrome OS? I was referring to Android.
Google does good software for the web. There is no doubt about it. If only they focused on their core strengths instead of going after every possible market including their partners... This predatory behavior is reminiscent of Microsoft.
post #56 of 139
This isn't gonna help the developers who already haft to be prepared for the other Android based tablets from CES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post

So what about Chrome OS? I was referring to Android.
Google does good software for the web. There is no doubt about it. If only they focused on their core strengths instead of going after every possible market including their partners... This predatory behavior is reminiscent of Microsoft.

If they keep this up, they will wind up like them. Trying to compete in every market imaginable, just because you can, doesn't mean its a good idea. Microsoft is proof of that since that.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply
post #57 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I meant US share.

Though the touchscreen numbers are interesting . . .

I don't think that iPhone OS will ever gain a dominant share because it is and will always be limited to one phone. I have plenty of friends who refuse to get an iPhone because everyone else has one. With Android, different manufacturers will develop different devices tailored to different tastes. On top of that Apple exercises monopoly pricing on its phones because there is no other competitor quite like it. It's the reason that Macs are almost never discounted as well. There's no one else making a computer that runs OSX out of the box (anymore). Android phones compete with each other, so the manufacturers are driven to lower prices and increase volume. All these factors lead me to believe that Android will inevitably take the lion's share of smartphone OS.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #58 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

its great when people allow marketing to tell them what to believe

post #59 of 139
Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google, was on the Apple Board. It seems to me that what they are doing is corporate espionage. He learned about these products (iPhone, iPad) while on Apple's Board, and then proceeded to expand Google's business form Search and web based/cloud software to hardware (indirectly, and perhaps now more directly) by promoting the Android OS and encouraging/working with hardware manufacturers (HTC and otheres, now Nokia).

So, the motto of Google is said to be "Do no evil"

- Google has scanned and made available copyrighted content without even attempting to pay proper royalties
- Google collect TONS of personal information about users, without their consent or knowledge
- Googles security has been compromised, exposing the TONS of personal information - and if any company has the resources to do security "right" it is Google
- Google's Eric Schmidt has stolen ideas and strategies form the Apple Board. He should have resigned form the board when it occurred to him that Google might go inthe direction of being an Apple competitor, instead he resigned only fairly recently after absorbing (stealing) as much from Apple as he could

Now the "Do no evil" company is fighting for control of the smartphone (Android), desktop (Chrome OS), and tablet business (Android).

Google's mode of business is SCARY, and exploitive.

I will and would take a little quality control, often referred to as censorship, at Apple's App store and in the allowable programming for the iPhone and iPad any day. At least there is at least some aspect and reason that is good for the consumer.

Google is the devil incarnate. I think when the phrase "Do no evil" was introduced, it was meant as a suggestion to others, so Google could proceed without competition in the execution of evil.
post #60 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post

So what about Chrome OS? I was referring to Android.
Google does good software for the web. There is no doubt about it. If only they focused on their core strengths instead of going after every possible market including their partners... This predatory behavior is reminiscent of Microsoft.

Google is trying to ensure that they have an avenue to distribute their products to smartphone users.

We've already seen Apple shut out some of their products from iPhone OS (google navi, voice, etc...)

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #61 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesamattki View Post

First off, HTC IS a hardware company. HTC made the Nexus One, not Google.

Second off, you are telling me that Google doesn't know how to do anything other than a desktop search. So you don't think Gmail is very successful, or that Google Calendar is either? What about Google Docs? Google Voice?

Good god, man, you are drooling over Gmail and Google Calendar? You consider them revolutionary products? How much money is Google making on these?

Google does a lot of "me-too" stuff and gives it away, hoping they will make some money on these some day. Hah !!
post #62 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

If Android is any indication, exponential growth is what happens.

If Google can match the processing power and 10 hour battery life, this device will take off.

Android is open source and the Android market is an open market. This all leads to higher competition, which leads to better products.

I don't think Google has any fan boys though. Yeah, they have a pretty good search engine, maps too, but Apple fans just LOVE their iDevices. Plus Apple also has a mysterious female attraction as well, - the ladies seem to love the Apple sense of style. Google has no style except maybe clunky, complicated and confusing, if that can be considered a style. Apple wins with the general population, Google with some of the geeks and the spend thrifts.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #63 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Ambivalent View Post

I think you forgot the most important thing.

Apple is the first to sell more then 300.000 internet devices without anyone seeing the device. That is pretty good for a device that doesn't play half of the internet content.

Now that is a 1st.

Don't get me wrong I think the Ipad is cute, and I like Apple products but all this gushing, give me a break it's just a company.

That's what a company can do when it controls its hardware and software--and has a long track record of making quality devices. Those of us that have used Macs for years already know fundamentally how the iPad will work. If one sees demonstrations they like and they are happy with the price it is a safe bet to buy sight-unseen. It has more to do with trust than "gushing" or being a fanboy.

P.S. Where is the "other half" of the internet that it can't play? Is it only available on Windows or something, because I've never seen it.
post #64 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I have plenty of friends who refuse to get an iPhone because everyone else has one. .

Is this why no one bought iPods?
post #65 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesamattki View Post

So Apple invented the tablet? I didn't know that. I can't believe all the "omg Google sucks because they're copying Apple" comments.

We know the following: Google is probably making a tablet computer. Are they not allowed to do this? Apple did not invent the tablet computer, or the idea of mobile apps, or even an app store.

I did not say Apple invented the tablet, that is absurd! where did you get that from?

Apple innovated the whole tablet experience, so from this day forward the majority of new tablets will resemble the iPad's look and UI, just like what happened with the iPhone.

I believe Apple made a big booboo by allowing Google board members on Apple's board, and I believe that that is why Google is trailing closest behind Apple, and that is why SJ is rightfully pissed off.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #66 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemost View Post

Hardware competition is a good thing and the Net keeps us all linked.
What would be bad would be losing Net Neutrality.

Competition is not blatant duplication of another's idea. Where did you pick up such a warped philosophy?

Net neutrality is happy little phrase to make people feel good about a really bad concept.

As in all things in life, you should pay your own tab. You get charged for the phone minutes you use, why should the internet be any different? Hippies? Rainbows? Because you file share illegal stuff (the ONLY real world use for anonymous peer-to-peer swap protocols) and want everyone else to pay for it?

I'm sure you have some imagined scenario where a phantom evil corporation is somehow corrupting your perfect socialist bubble.

I propose that not only do bandwidth hogs get a higher bill, but they also lose their connection after a certain point.
post #67 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Good god, man, you are drooling over Gmail and Google Calendar? You consider them revolutionary products? How much money is Google making on these?

Google does a lot of "me-too" stuff and gives it away, hoping they will make some money on these some day. Hah !!

I'm not drooling over them, but I do recognize they are definitely NOT useless.
post #68 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post



post #69 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think Google has any fan boys though. Yeah, they have a pretty good search engine, maps too, but Apple fans just LOVE their iDevices. Plus Apple also has a mysterious female attraction as well, - the ladies seem to love the Apple sense of style. Google has no style except maybe clunky, complicated and confusing, if that can be considered a style. Apple wins with the general population, Google with some of the geeks and the spend thrifts.

Style is subjective. I don't think there's any one design that will make everyone happy, and in that respect I believe Android will win out here. The iPhone is a very good looking phone, but it's going to be at least 1 year between updates. In contrast, a new Android phone comes out every few months it seems. This means the style is updated faster as well as the specs.

And if you're calling the Nexus one clunky complicated and confusing, I think you're just plain wrong.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #70 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Net neutrality is happy little phrase to make people feel good about a really bad concept.

As in all things in life, you should pay your own tab. You get charged for the phone minutes you use, why should the internet be any different? Hippies? Rainbows? Because you file share illegal stuff (the ONLY real world use for anonymous peer-to-peer swap protocols) and want everyone else to pay for it?

Except when it is not about file sharing but about favoring their own services in an anti-competitive way.

We're sorry your request timed out because the server goolge.com could not be found.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #71 of 139
For me, it's not the "copying" part that I hate. It's how quickly "the iPad is just a big iPod Touch which is stupid and pointless and only fanboi's will buy them" turned into "Google has been working on a tablet device for years and was just waiting to see what Apple produced."
post #72 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Style is subjective. I don't think there's any one design that will make everyone happy, and in that respect I believe Android will win out here. The iPhone is a very good looking phone, but it's going to be at least 1 year between updates. In contrast, a new Android phone comes out every few months it seems. This means the style is updated faster as well as the specs.

And if you're calling the Nexus one clunky complicated and confusing, I think you're just plain wrong.

Possibly, I have never seen a Nexus one. I was referring to the Goggle services I am familiar with such as Adwords, Adsense, Mail, Analytics, and Docs. All of which I find unintuitive, complicated, and confusing, especially the menus.

Good style doesn't have to be updated as often as trendy. iPhone has changed very little style wise since its introduction in 2007.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #73 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

its great when people allow marketing to tell them what to believe

Quit projecting your superstitions on others.

Mine are not BELIEFS--they're observations and predictions.

But then your attention span won't allow you to remember that.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #74 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Good god, man, you are drooling over Gmail and Google Calendar? You consider them revolutionary products? How much money is Google making on these?

Google does a lot of "me-too" stuff and gives it away, hoping they will make some money on these some day. Hah !!

Don't think that google has to make money on these products...they are simply a means in which to gather as much information as they possible can. That's where they make their money, tailoring and marketing information flow.
post #75 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

If Android is any indication, exponential growth is what happens.

If Google can match the processing power and 10 hour battery life, this device will take off.

Android is open source and the Android market is an open market. This all leads to higher competition, which leads to better products.

can you give me a few good examples of how that worked out for XXXX to dominate a product life cycle with their format in consumer electronics? Especially, I want to hear where it led to better products and higher competition (meaning more bang for the buck in each product sold)..

you are breathing fantasy here.. help me out with some examples..
post #76 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Steve Jobs isn't going to be happy....

He may be pulling out the phrase "start your copiers" again, but this time in reference to Google.
post #77 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

can you give me a few good examples of how that worked out for XXXX to dominate a product life cycle with their format in consumer electronics? Especially, I want to hear where it led to better products and higher competition (meaning more bang for the buck in each product sold)..

you are breathing fantasy here.. help me out with some examples..

Microsoft Windows. Computer OS market is the only other market in which we can even make a comparison.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #78 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesamattki View Post

Google takes little risk? Have you ever heard of the Chrome OS? 7 second start up time, mainly cloud-based? No... that's not risky or a first at ALLLLL. But yeah, any GOOD OS that isn't Windows running on a tablet is a ripoff of Apple.

All I have to say is....remember the Danger Sidekick? And what happened to all the stuff that people stored on the cloud? Does that appeal to you? I will gladly wait the extra 30 seconds to boot a os that keeps my files locally. Bah, cloud based computing at this time, IMHO, is rubbish.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #79 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Style is subjective. I don't think there's any one design that will make everyone happy, and in that respect I believe Android will win out here. The iPhone is a very good looking phone, but it's going to be at least 1 year between updates. In contrast, a new Android phone comes out every few months it seems. This means the style is updated faster as well as the specs.

And if you're calling the Nexus one clunky complicated and confusing, I think you're just plain wrong.

How many people do you think are willing to buy a new Android phone every few months?
post #80 of 139
well, then your analogy is fictitious. Apple and its mobil products are consumer electronics products.. they follow a format like the cassette tape, or the CD or the DVD or the in-dash car stereo configuration (depth to work in most cars) and so on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad