or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

well, then your analogy is fictitious. Apple and its mobil products are consumer electronics products.. they follow a format like the cassette tape, or the CD or the DVD or the in-dash car stereo configuration (depth to work in most cars) and so on.

And a computer is not a consumer electronic?

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #82 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Competition is not blatant duplication of another's idea. Where did you pick up such a warped philosophy?

Net neutrality is happy little phrase to make people feel good about a really bad concept.

As in all things in life, you should pay your own tab. You get charged for the phone minutes you use, why should the internet be any different? Hippies? Rainbows? Because you file share illegal stuff (the ONLY real world use for anonymous peer-to-peer swap protocols) and want everyone else to pay for it?

I'm sure you have some imagined scenario where a phantom evil corporation is somehow corrupting your perfect socialist bubble.

I propose that not only do bandwidth hogs get a higher bill, but they also lose their connection after a certain point.

The brave firefighters that ran into doomed skyscrapers on 9/11? Socialists.
Military men and women dying and losing limbs in our wars? Socialists.
Police? Socialists.
Libraries? Socialists.
Some things are important enough for us all to chip in. You shouldn't be asked for your credit card when your house is burning or your kid is kidnapped. Using these idealogical absolutes detracts from thoughtful discussions. Capitalism does great things but it isn't a form of government.
Capitalism destroyed communism. Now it's doing a number on democracy.
post #83 of 139
addressed above.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #84 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

That's what a company can do when it controls its hardware and software--and has a long track record of making quality devices. Those of us that have used Macs for years already know fundamentally how the iPad will work. If one sees demonstrations they like and they are happy with the price it is a safe bet to buy sight-unseen. It has more to do with trust than "gushing" or being a fanboy.

P.S. Where is the "other half" of the internet that it can't play? Is it only available on Windows or something, because I've never seen it.

I have also used Apple products for years. I like some of there products and don't like others. Some of the things I don't like are very successful, that does not make them the best product for me.

If you go to Yahoo and try to play some of there video content on your Ipad you will see what I mean by the 'other half'. Flash may not be the perfect product but it is everywhere on the web. But if Apple tells you that you don't need it then that makes it easy for you. What is you definition of a fanboy?
post #85 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

...tweaks...

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya
post #86 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The brave firefighters that ran into doomed skyscrapers on 9/11? Socialists.
Military men and women dying and losing limbs in our wars? Socialists.
Police? Socialists.
Libraries? Socialists.
Some things are important enough for us all to chip in. You shouldn't be asked for your credit card when your house is burning or your kid is kidnapped. Using these idealogical absolutes detracts from thoughtful discussions. Capitalism does great things but it isn't a form of government.
Capitalism destroyed communism. Now it's doing a number on democracy.

Great post! I don't know why people come in here and spout there off topic BS. Oxygenhose talks like some religious nut case about capitalism.
post #87 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Ambivalent View Post

I have also used Apple products for years. I like some of there products and don't like others. Some of the things I don't like are very successful, that does not make them the best product for me.

If you go to Yahoo and try to play some of there video content on your Ipad you will see what I mean by the 'other half'. Flash may not be the perfect product but it is everywhere on the web. But if Apple tells you that you don't need it then that makes it easy for you. What is you definition of a fanboy?

As an electrical engineer I take Apple's stance on Flash at face value and believe that it's system requirements would negatively impact a battery-powered phone. It has nothing to do with Apple telling me I don't need it...although I haven't had it on my phone for 3 years and I don't miss it.

However, maybe it is obvious that Flash works perfectly on phones as evidenced by the Droid having Flash from day 1 and the Droid's ability to play that "other half" of the internet as we speak. Oh...wait...
post #88 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya

Perhaps he's the six-fingered man.
post #89 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Motorola Droid Running Adobe Flash 10.1 Demoed

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10822.html

I'm going to "demo" having a million dollars in my checking account and see what I can buy with it.
post #90 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The brave firefighters that ran into doomed skyscrapers on 9/11? Socialists.
Military men and women dying and losing limbs in our wars? Socialists.
Police? Socialists.
Libraries? Socialists.
Some things are important enough for us all to chip in. You shouldn't be asked for your credit card when your house is burning or your kid is kidnapped. Using these idealogical absolutes detracts from thoughtful discussions. Capitalism does great things but it isn't a form of government.
Capitalism destroyed communism. Now it's doing a number on democracy.

oh gosh! spare us your twisted ideologies doc.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #91 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Funny how well Flash works when using hardware acceleration. Something I have been talking about for weeks now. Steve Jobs simply wants to control content, Flash isn't the issue. It was in the past and I admit Adobe didn't do much to help make Flash run better under OSX but that isn't the case now.

SJ is pushing his luck. Adobe could simply stop making the Create Suite to run under OSX.

Android OS phones have been on the market for a year and a half and it may be another 6 months before the first Flash player arrives for them. However, according to experts like yourself Flash runs perfectly. I'm sure Adobe and Google aren't paying attention at all to what Apple is saying. I'm sure they've got Flash ready to go. They're just too lazy to actually release it.
post #92 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

I don't think he's saying that the same people will buy multiple phones month after month.

Instead, I think he is saying that more and more DIFFERENT people will buy more and more Android phones. And when the state of the art keeps getting better and better, with more and more cool phones hitting the market every few months, more and more people will see their friends' new cool phones.

And they will want a new phone.

And when they go shopping, they might not want a nearly-year old iPhone.

I think that is what he is saying.

You are making too many assumptions. How exactly is the "state of the art" going to get better and better with each new Android phone? They will all be running the same OS, Android. Presumably, the latest version as offered by Google. If HTC offers a blue Android phone, and Motorola follows with a red Android phone, that's not the state of the art getting better, is it?

So, how is this different from Apple upgrading the OS every year, along with a new "better" iPhone?

The Nexus One is a flop. Not many people buying that one, are they? King of the Androids, and it's a flop !!
post #93 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

As an electrical engineer I take Apple's stance on Flash at face value and believe that it's system requirements would negatively impact a battery-powered phone. It has nothing to do with Apple telling me I don't need it...although I haven't had it on my phone for 3 years and I don't miss it.

However, maybe it is obvious that Flash works perfectly on phones as evidenced by the Droid having Flash from day 1 and the Droid's ability to play that "other half" of the internet as we speak. Oh...wait...

On a phone I would not miss flash content at all but on a device like a the Ipad which is billed as a magical internet device I want to be able to use the other half of the internet. If they need to put a larger battery in it, so be it. I like function over form, as an electrical engineer i think you can understand that. Let me turn on flash if I want to use it, and give me a warning it they think i need it.

On the other hand if the Google device does not have access to the other half of the web I won't buy it either or I will wait until the web moves past flash and on to html5 and then buy.
post #94 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The brave firefighters that ran into doomed skyscrapers on 9/11? Socialists.
Military men and women dying and losing limbs in our wars? Socialists.
Police? Socialists.
Libraries? Socialists.
Some things are important enough for us all to chip in. You shouldn't be asked for your credit card when your house is burning or your kid is kidnapped. Using these idealogical absolutes detracts from thoughtful discussions. Capitalism does great things but it isn't a form of government.
Capitalism destroyed communism. Now it's doing a number on democracy.

I think your tangent is pretty loco. Important enough for all of us to chip in? You're looking for a self-serving result, but trying to sell it as some great utopian concept. It's shallow and transparent.

Public libraries - Winnie the Pooh and Stephen King should be payed for with tax dollars?
Why? If you want to institutionalize morality and charity, I suggest trying religion, because that's what you're talking about. If you think a nation military or police force is an example of socialism, you're very confused. You're also forgetting the 2nd Amendment buddy, it proclaims that we get to arm ourselves in order to prevent force from being a government monopoly in case they overstep their bounds in respect to the very limited specific rights granted to them. Those founding fathers were smart enough to make a point of saying that ALL other rights belong to the people. Don't blame yourself, there is a very vested political machinery to convince you otherwise - happy tax week!

Defense:
Under the actual text of the Constitution it's "Provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare". There is a very distinct difference between the meaning of provide and promote. I suggest a re-read, maybe 3 or 4 times of the Federalist Papers. Your ideas were debunked a long time ago, with some pretty astounding insight, maybe it's time you get up to speed and stop being babysat by the TV. Nobody argues about how a toilet works, but why do people still invest their "faith" in these obvious ideological superstitions? Especially when mountains of contrary real world evidence is literally staring them in the face. It's kinda like denying evolution, beyond the confines and company of your 'church', it looks & sounds really ignorant. You don't have one economic argument to prove your point, only ideas about what's good for everybody - that's religion buddy.

Capitalism is destroying democracy? Obviously you're not a student of western civilization or basic economics (under any political system). Capitalism IS democracy, the two are inseparable concepts & realities. Attempts to mutate this 'cosmic' fact have proven to be utter failures, but the people who write the political prose for both sides always seems to leave these details out. I suggest less education thru political pamphlets & talking points and much more book reading, padawan. I guess I shouldn't point out that almost all human activity is capitalistic, it's essential to any evolution. Socialism is a fine belief system, just like Christianity, but I think you've made the same mistake that your poetry counts for fact in the tangible universe. I generally think it's best to operate with the available facts, until we start seeing drunken loser post-industrial philosophers float down from the heavens with bread and wine for all.
The obvious head slapper for you should be your own logic, read your own post and if you really believe all that, then why in the hell would you want government directly involved in your internet usage? They are better than Comcast at their supposed worst? That's insane.

Don't you remember that it was government non-interference in the tech sector that has allowed that segment to proliferate greatly and relatively unhindered? There's no intelligent reason to change that. There is a however a very heavy political reason to assume more authority and taxes over the internet.

You pay for food as you go. If you eat a billion cheeseburgers and your neighbor eats 1, why under any ideology should he have to pay for your gluttony instead of you? If you're right then I'll be happy to get free MacBook Pros and cheeseburgers, if you want to man-up on your talk, send me your credit card # and you can start paying for me right now.
post #95 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

oh gosh! spare us your twisted ideologies doc.

Doctor David was only responding to someone else who was pushing there off topic "twisted ideologies". I for one would like to be spared that.
post #96 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Ambivalent View Post

Doctor David was only responding to someone else who was pushing there off topic "twisted ideologies". I for one would like to be spared that.

I was elaborating on the twisted logic of the oxymoron called net neutrality.
If you like your bubble, don't come up for air.

More importantly I was dismissing Google's blatant swipe of the iPhone as 'competition'.
A look at the iPhone vs Android phone development timeline is a very effective slam dunk for team oxygenhose on this point.

Just like I would argue with a Hindu or Christian trying to tell me it's a magical entity that powers my printer, I will continue to point out the obvious flaws in other popular ideological religions. All tangible evidence supports Capitalism. In fact... I believe Steve Jobs is one of its patron saints.
post #97 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

I think your tangent is pretty loco. Important enough for all of us to chip in? You're looking for a self-serving result, but trying to sell it as some great utopian concept. It's shallow and transparent.

Public libraries - Winnie the Pooh and Stephen King should be payed for with tax dollars?
Why? If you want to institutionalize morality and charity, I suggest trying religion, because that's what you're talking about. If you think a nation military or police force is an example of socialism, you're very confused. You're also forgetting the 2nd Amendment buddy, it proclaims that we get to arm ourselves in order to prevent force from being a government monopoly in case they overstep their bounds in respect to the very limited specific rights granted to them. Those founding fathers were smart enough to make a point of saying that ALL other rights belong to the people. Don't blame yourself, there is a very vested political machinery to convince you otherwise - happy tax week!

Defense:
Under the actual text of the Constitution it's "Provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare". There is a very distinct difference between the meaning of provide and promote. I suggest a re-read, maybe 3 or 4 times of the Federalist Papers. Your ideas were debunked a long time ago, with some pretty astounding insight, maybe it's time you get up to speed and stop being babysat by the TV. Nobody argues about how a toilet works, but why do people still invest their "faith" in these obvious ideological superstitions? Especially when mountains of contrary real world evidence is literally staring them in the face. It's kinda like denying evolution, beyond the confines and company of your 'church', it looks & sounds really ignorant. You don't have one economic argument to prove your point, only ideas about what's good for everybody - that's religion buddy.

Capitalism is destroying democracy? Obviously you're not a student of western civilization or basic economics (under any political system). Capitalism IS democracy, the two are inseparable concepts & realities. Attempts to mutate this 'cosmic' fact have proven to be utter failures, but the people who write the political prose for both sides always seems to leave these details out. I suggest less education thru political pamphlets & talking points and much more book reading, padawan. I guess I shouldn't point out that almost all human activity is capitalistic, it's essential to any evolution. Socialism is a fine belief system, just like Christianity, but I think you've made the same mistake that your poetry counts for fact in the tangible universe. I generally think it's best to operate with the available facts, until we start seeing drunken loser post-industrial philosophers float down from the heavens with bread and wine for all.
The obvious head slapper for you should be your own logic, read your own post and if you really believe all that, then why in the hell would you want government directly involved in your internet usage? They are better than Comcast at their supposed worst? That's insane.

Don't you remember that it was government non-interference in the tech sector that has allowed that segment to proliferate greatly and relatively unhindered? There's no intelligent reason to change that. There is a however a very heavy political reason to assume more authority and taxes over the internet.

You pay for food as you go. If you eat a billion cheeseburgers and your neighbor eats 1, why under any ideology should he have to pay for your gluttony instead of you? If you're right then I'll be happy to get free MacBook Pros and cheeseburgers, if you want to man-up on your talk, send me your credit card # and you can start paying for me right now.


What does that have to do with Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad ?

Why don't you go to some political blog.
post #98 of 139
Google sure looks like it is setting itself up for failure. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

(i) They are trying to do too many things, throwing too many things at the wall and hoping that something will stick;

(ii) Their primary source of eyeballs and market share is their ability to give stuff away for free or cheap, and their primary source of revenue to back that up is advertising. But advertising is a fickle market, easy come easy go (as newspapers have learned) -- that also explains Google's panic in trying to get something else that works from a revenue-generation standpoint;

(iii) They have no idea how to manage a value chain that does both software and hardware (witness, e.g., customer complaint-handling problems with Nexus One); they will have to learn stuff like managing a supply chain, dealing with quality control issues, scheduling, delivery, after-sales service, managing retailers etc;

(iv) They do not seem to have the ability to compete successfully in major markets outside the US: witness their inability to do business in China, running into major battles in the EU (e.g., Streetview in Germany, how long they keep customer search data in Italy, Google Books copyright issues in many EU countries);

(v) They have too many collaborators with whom they are also current or potential competitors: soon, every one of Google's partners will be doing business with the company with a weary eye.

So, I say, bring on the GooglePad. We'll see how it pans out for them.
post #99 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

I think that the iPad is the birth of a whole new class of device which will eventually cover a huge range of uses both in the home and the workplace. The potential market for these devices is massive and Apple couldn't possibly cater for all the variations required, even if they wished to (which I doubt). Therefore there is plenty of scope for other device manufacturers to come to the party, and if they can come up with something half decent there is no reason why they couldn't happily flourish in such a diverse market, albeit a diverse market where Apple sets the standard.

Agree!!!
This is just the begining. My son is an Emergency RN and says the iPad could be used in the hospitals big time.
I have been using Tablets since 2003 (Toshiba M205 and MotionComputing LE1700). Love the active digitizer. If there was a device that had the capacitive touch of the iPad plus the active digitizer, I would jump in inmediately. Yeah, I know there are already some, I think the Lenovo. Don't like to wait two minutes for the OS to finally give me the Tablet for me to use!.
May be the Courier could be it. If they would just get with it!
post #100 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nope. These guys know the growth curve is in mobile. These new devices will eventually sub-plant traditional PCs. Just like the telecom land line business is dying a slow death because of mobile so will the traditional PC over time.

Actually, the growth curve isn't in Mobile. It's in extending platform functionality into an already mature Mobile market.

Billions of mobile phones already exist, just like portable/desktop solutions.

The iPad won't cannibalize Apple desktop/laptop sales. It is expanding them and with the iPad growing into areas often held by business professionals not interested in a MacBook/Mac Pro but would love a portable device bigger than a phone.

Google wants to play in that space and knows it has to or see it's cloud/enterprise markets weaken.
post #101 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

First the Google Phone. Now the Google Pad.

What's next for these guys? The Google Mac?

What next from Apple? Multi-tasking in iPhone OS? Surely not!

To say Google are copying Apple because they are making phones and tablets is absurd. Unless you've been living in a cave for 10 years, tablets have been around for a LONG, LONG time. And I suspect phones even a tiny bit longer than that.
post #102 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(v) They have too many collaborators with whom they are also current or potential competitors: soon, every one of Google's partners will be doing business with the company with a weary eye.

Do you mean "wary" eye? As in not turning one's back on Google for fear of being knifed?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #103 of 139
I wonder if Schmidt recused himself from iPad-related discussions while serving on Apple's board...?

Does anyone know the legal guidelines that bind a corporate board member, in terms of "firewalling" secrets revealed to them during their board tenure, lest they are liable for some type of confidentiality breach?
post #104 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I never said Flash runs perfectly. However 10.1 resolves several issues because it accesses the correct API's to use GPU hardware acceleration. A good example of this when using either a notebook or a desktop is run something using Flash 10.1 use Safari under OSX and it uses close to 30% CPU. Do the same using Safari for Windows and it runs 7.9% CPU.

Apple however will not give Adobe the information they need to access the correct API's to take advantage of hardware acceleration under OSX.

The are two issues here, Adobe sat on their ass for a long time and did very little for Apple in terms of Flash. The second issue is now SJ wants to act like a child and live in the past instead of working with Adobe to resolve this issue. The fact is 10.1 can resolve many of this using not only for OSX but as you can see for smartphones also.

SJ doesn't have the power or the market share to kill Flash, its going to be around for a long time.

The biggest threat to Flash's future is it's usability. Almost all publishing platforms that fail to become easier for the end user, over time whither and die. I think you're seeing that already start to happen. Writing Flash content is totally alien compared to other web dev, they either have to fix that or Adobe is doomed.

I'm not certain, but it sounds a lot like Adobe is making a lot of excuses for why it doesn't work, then trying to meddle with well-thought out specs to prohibit an alternative. I was a really big fan and stock holder in Adobe, but I think their credibility and ability to deliver has slipped, while their whining has increased. If everyone else can write iPhone software that mostly works, obviously it's not Apple's problem that their internal 'special' requirements are prohibiting them from realizing their own product.

Adobe is making a huge deal about what exactly... blinking animations? I'm sure they wish they could be the sole source for displaying images in html too. I recently installed Click2Flash after seeing it promoted here, it's pretty obvious when loading all my usual sites on how much glut and garbage is directly coming from Flash content.

If they want more support, maybe less blog theatrics, more proving they can amaze with a Mac client. If they want Apple users to ping the mothership for help, they are doing the exact opposite. It's taken them a decade to make a true OS X version of their flagship product. They avoided the hard work there, seems like a corporate motivation issue. Maybe a new CEO with a big boot to incentivize their code monkeys?
post #105 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I don't think that iPhone OS will ever gain a dominant share because it is and will always be limited to one phone. I have plenty of friends who refuse to get an iPhone because everyone else has one. With Android, different manufacturers will develop different devices tailored to different tastes. .

Was it Dimaggio who said "no one ever goes there because it's too crowded"? Or was that Yogi Berra (not to be confused with Yogi Bear for you pre-teens).

The problem with your analogy, though, is that a thousand different varieties all running different versions makes it difficult for everyone. Developers never learn to use the full capabilities since they have to create lowest-common-denomenator versions. Users get confused when getting a new phone. Nothing works the same way. Apple has focused on one design and consistent UI - and seems to be doing very well. Will it ever be dominant? Depends on what you mean. It certainly has changed the way the entire industry thinks, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

So, the motto of Google is said to be "Do no evil"

- Google has scanned and made available copyrighted content without even attempting to pay proper royalties
- Google collect TONS of personal information about users, without their consent or knowledge
- Googles security has been compromised, exposing the TONS of personal information - and if any company has the resources to do security "right" it is Google
- Google's Eric Schmidt has stolen ideas and strategies form the Apple Board. He should have resigned form the board when it occurred to him that Google might go inthe direction of being an Apple competitor, instead he resigned only fairly recently after absorbing (stealing) as much from Apple as he could

Google's mode of business is SCARY, and exploitive.

You're 100% right. In reality, they seem to be operating more along the lines of "do whatever you want, just try not to get caught doing evil".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

But in the past, There were major updates in June. This year will be different - Apple is catching up to where Android was a while ago, rather than surpassing it with innovative new stuffs.

Bwaaahaaaaaa. Is it April Fools' Day already?

You apparently never get it. Apple is not in the game of 'my phone offers more features than your phone'. Rather, Apple is by far the leader in usability, reliability, and functionality, NOT features. Android has many, many miles to go to catch up in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Competition is not blatant duplication of another's idea. Where did you pick up such a warped philosophy?

Net neutrality is happy little phrase to make people feel good about a really bad concept.

As in all things in life, you should pay your own tab. You get charged for the phone minutes you use, why should the internet be any different? Hippies? Rainbows? Because you file share illegal stuff (the ONLY real world use for anonymous peer-to-peer swap protocols) and want everyone else to pay for it?.

Well said. If I use more medical services, I pay for it. If I eat more food, I pay for it. If I drive farther, I buy more gas.

Now, I'm not arguing that anyone should be forced to have different prices for different users. Nor should they be forbidden to do so. It should be just like any offering - the supplier should be free to offer whatever terms they wish and the consumer can choose to buy it or not to buy. If someone else comes out with something that the consumer likes better, the consumer will switch. No need for the government to decide what is best for me as a consumer. Personally, I don't like that fact that my cable bills keep going up every month because Cox has to keep spending more and more money to build enough infrastructure to satisfy the bittorrent crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Funny how well Flash works when using hardware acceleration. Something I have been talking about for weeks now. Steve Jobs simply wants to control content, Flash isn't the issue. It was in the past and I admit Adobe didn't do much to help make Flash run better under OSX but that isn't the case now.

SJ is pushing his luck. Adobe could simply stop making the Create Suite to run under OSX.

I wondered how long it would take for this inane suggestion to hit this thread. Adobe would be committing suicide - and they know it.

As for Flash, of course Flash would work better with hardware acceleration. Why didn't Adobe use it? Apple's APIs would have allowed Adobe to use hardware acceleration, but Adobe stubbornly refused to use them. Just more of the same Adobe we've seen for a decade now - ignore the Mac (even when it accounted for 50% or more of revenues) and drive customers to Windows. Their actions over the last 10 years are coming back to haunt them. Time for them to grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Motorola Droid Running Adobe Flash 10.1 Demoed

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10822.html

That's nice. So they've gotten around to creating a demo of their vaporware.

It MIGHT be out some day. But even when it does, there are several problems:

1. It's far too little, too late. Most major sites are already switching to html 5, css, and so on.

2. 10.1 is stil limited - and won't work with all Flash pages. So you have the worst of both worlds - suffer from all the instability and battery drain of Flash and still not be able to load your sites.

3. 10.1 on mobiles requires something like a Cortex 8 processor - which means that only about 0.1% of the smart phones on the market will be able to use it. 99.9% of smart phones will not be running Flash.

4. Even on a Cortex 8, performance is still sluggish and choppy.

5. Even if they get around those problems, that assumes that Adobe gets around to shipping it some time soon. They're already very late and have a history full of delays and missed promises.

That cute little demo is meaningless.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #106 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

I was on the fence about waiting for v2 of the iPad - but if competition is ramping up sooner than expected, I will definitely wait a year or so to see what new hardware is being created for an Android-based device.

The trouble is, that by then some new Apple/Google/MS/??? hardware will be nearly ready for release and so you'll just hang on a bit longer to see what it's about. And just when you've made your mind up, you'll hear of the next killer product that will be released "real soon now".

This way madness lies, grasshopper ...
post #107 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Do you mean "wary" eye? As in not turning one's back on Google for fear of being knifed?

I was just tired.....

Good call.
post #108 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I wonder if Schmidt recused himself from iPad-related discussions while serving on Apple's board...?

Does anyone know the legal guidelines that bind a corporate board member, in terms of "firewalling" secrets revealed to them during their board tenure, lest they are liable for some type of confidentiality breach?

I feel that this issue of Schmidt/Apple board is overblown. Frankly, even if they waited to start their copiers until a formal announcement from Apple, Google could do the same thing with just a few months' lag.
post #109 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

oh gosh! spare us your twisted ideologies doc.

What part of my post did you find twisted?
My post was in response to someone who spouted off about socialism and hippies. I just don't think idealogical absolutes encourage thoughtful debate. Capitalism is the best economic system in existance. It is not a form of government. The op claims there is a cosmic link to the two. I would have responded to him but but he made so many assumptions and accusations about me that it seems pointless. Police, firefighters, military are not capitalist structures. They are funded and run pretty well, thanks in no small part to our capitalist economic system. Which brings me back to my point of idealogical absolutes harming thoughtful debate.I realize my statement "capitalism destroyed communism and now it's doing a number on democracy" is being seen as an attack on capitalism but I think it's more to just keep perspective. I guess some people do think we should privatize police firefighters and the military and I welcome thoughtful debate on those. But calling people socialists and hippies at the outset is lame in my opinion.
post #110 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

... I have plenty of friends who refuse to get an iPhone because everyone else has one.

It's a funny old world eh? I'd not imagined that people would actually reject a best product in any category (and I'm not specifically referring to the iPhone here) simply because it was too popular. Imagine, you spend your money on an inferior product so that less of your friends have one and you feel more special. Curiously, the reason that less of your friends and others I'd imagine own one is because it's inferior and they don't want to spend their money on it. How very circular.

Try doing the marketing campaign for that one
post #111 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I have plenty of friends who refuse to get an iPhone because everyone else has one.

I'm sure then I'll spot them driving their Edsel's on the highway while their partner is using an MS Courier tablet running Microsoft BOB.
post #112 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Google may have a bigger hill to climb than they thought...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/German...73130.html?x=0

From the article:
Quote:
The WePad, with its 11.6-inch screen, is powered by an Intel chip and relies on a Linux software basis which is compatible with Google's Android and all Flash applications, Ankershoffen said.

Android doesn't need to make money for a long, long time. All it needs in the short term is to show that it has more pull. Android-compatibility is as good as Android for Google right now.
post #113 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Try doing the marketing campaign for that one

'Laptop Hunter'?
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #114 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

What next from Apple? Multi-tasking in iPhone OS? Surely not!

To say Google are copying Apple because they are making phones and tablets is absurd. Unless you've been living in a cave for 10 years, tablets have been around for a LONG, LONG time. And I suspect phones even a tiny bit longer than that.

Computers called tablets have existed for a long time, but they have little in common with the tablets that are coming out now. The concept of the tablet running an OS and programs specifically designed for the tablet form factor is what Apple will popularize. Google did copy Apple to an extent with Android. Go look up what early Android concepts looked like, and then compare it to what exists now.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #115 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This article is talking about something that might be progressing beyond the conceptual stages. It could take two years before we ever see a Tablet from Google if ever.

FINALLY, a voice of reason.
post #116 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

the newton didn't die - it got steved!

I think his exact words were something like, "We had to take it out back and put a bullet in its head."
post #117 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The initiative appears to be progressing beyond the conceptual stages, with chief executive Eric Schmidt reportedly talking up the device to his friends during a recent party out in Los Angeles.

What follows the "talking it up to friends at parties" stage -- the doodles on the backs of envelopes stage?

BTW, when did Los Angeles turn into an "out" place? Last I checked, it was still part of the US.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #118 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is this why no one bought iPods?

That's right. And it's also why "no one goes to that club anymore; it's way too crowded!"
post #119 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

If Android is any indication, exponential growth is what happens.

If Google can match the processing power and 10 hour battery life, this device will take off.

Android is open source and the Android market is an open market. This all leads to higher competition, which leads to better products.

And yet with few apps and games worth buying.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #120 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google, was on the Apple Board. It seems to me that what they are doing is corporate espionage. He learned about these products (iPhone, iPad) while on Apple's Board, and then proceeded to expand Google's business form Search and web based/cloud software to hardware (indirectly, and perhaps now more directly) by promoting the Android OS and encouraging/working with hardware manufacturers (HTC and otheres, now Nokia).

So, the motto of Google is said to be "Do no evil"

- Google has scanned and made available copyrighted content without even attempting to pay proper royalties
- Google collect TONS of personal information about users, without their consent or knowledge
- Googles security has been compromised, exposing the TONS of personal information - and if any company has the resources to do security "right" it is Google
- Google's Eric Schmidt has stolen ideas and strategies form the Apple Board. He should have resigned form the board when it occurred to him that Google might go inthe direction of being an Apple competitor, instead he resigned only fairly recently after absorbing (stealing) as much from Apple as he could

Now the "Do no evil" company is fighting for control of the smartphone (Android), desktop (Chrome OS), and tablet business (Android).

Google's mode of business is SCARY, and exploitive.

I will and would take a little quality control, often referred to as censorship, at Apple's App store and in the allowable programming for the iPhone and iPad any day. At least there is at least some aspect and reason that is good for the consumer.

Google is the devil incarnate. I think when the phrase "Do no evil" was introduced, it was meant as a suggestion to others, so Google could proceed without competition in the execution of evil.

...see this story about Google's disrespect and evilness....
http://www.macworld.com/article/1505...e_privacy.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad