or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple halts retail orders for MacBook Pros ahead of new models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple halts retail orders for MacBook Pros ahead of new models

post #1 of 100
Thread Starter 
Apple last week instated a stay on new retail orders for MacBook Pros as it prepares to introduce the first significant updates to the professional notebook line in over a year. Meanwhile, AppleInsider has learned of the Mac maker's plans to adopt Intel's lower-spec'd Core i3 series of processors in some of its future offerings.

MacBook Pros

Over the weekend, several people with ties to Apple's retail and reseller channels passed along word of anomalies regarding inventories of MacBook Pros, specifically:
One person noted that his/her Apple retail store's inventory manager has been prohibited from placing any new orders for MacBook Pros through the company even though the store had run out of models to sell to customers.
Another person noted that his/her Apple retail store had similarly run out of 13- and 17-inch MacBook Pros, which has never happened at that particular store since he/she worked there.
A third person employed at an Apple retail store noted that stock of all three sizes of MacBook Pros were dangerously low as of this weekend. The inventory manager at that store was instructed to make room for a shipment of 16 palettes of Mac merchandise on either Tuesday or Wednesday, which is 4 palettes more Mac merchandize than the store typically stocks in total.
Those reports arrived on the heels of a screenshot posting by a MicroCenter employee to his Reedit page this weekend showing four new Apple SKUs for Mac products in his store's database with price points that match those of Apple's existing 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros:
Apple System Good-USA MC371LL/A ($1,799.99)
Mac system #1 Best-USA MC373LL/A ($2,199.99)
Mac system #2 Best-USA MC024LL/A ($2,299.99)
Mac system Better-USA MC372LL/A ($1,999.99)


Also, an AppleInsider reader has posted to his blog a list of 11 online Apple stores where MacBook Pros can't be shipped in 24 hours.

Last week, Taiwanese newspaper Apple Daily reported that Apple would update MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs this month. That report was followed by one out of Macworld Australia pegging the date for MacBook Pros as Tuesday, April 13th (tomorrow).

Intel Core i3

Meanwhile, people familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider that Apple has intended to use Intel's 2.26GHz 350M Core i3 processor for the low end of at least some of its forthcoming Mac models and the Core i7 for some of its extreme or BTO models, employing the Core i5's for the meat of the product refreshes. It wasn't specified, however, whether the models in question were notebooks or iMacs.

A breakdown of the three families of Intel's latest Core chips can be seen here.
post #2 of 100
Tomorrow's the day... YAY!
post #3 of 100
My guess is the Core i3 is used in the MacBook, i5 in the 13- and 15-inch pros, and i7 in the 17-inch. They may put an i7 in or as a BTO for the top-of-the-line 15", much how the current high-end 15" and 17" are the same computer save for the screen size, but I think they need to differentiate performance a little better than in the past.
post #4 of 100
Make it so, Number One!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #5 of 100
Finally. Awesome!
post #6 of 100
Finally!!!! Got the credit card in hand, been waiting over a year now for these. can't wait to get my first Macbook pro!
post #7 of 100
Maybe this is finally the real deal. I really didn't think that Apple would do the MBP update as just a "quiet" upgrade. I figured that the processor family change in itself would pretty much warrant and dog and pony show of the new MBP product line. Guess we'll just have to wait and see tomorrow.

I was seriously in the market for this up until the iPad was released, but that is currently sating my appetite for new. Hopefully we'll find room in the finances here in a couple months to get a nice new 15" MBP though. The good news there is a release now gives a couple of months for me to get a good feel for the new systems before sinking in the money to one.
post #8 of 100
I wonder how fast the MBP13 i3 would be compared to the current entry level MBP13 2.26ghz c2d
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
Reply
post #9 of 100
I hope these new MacBook Pros get more than a Core i3/i5. I have a Summer '09 13" MacBook Pro and 2.26GHz is already plenty fast for word processing/internet/photoshop/running Windows 7 in VirtualBox/etc.

Now if they were to add something like Optimus, USB 3.0, true SATA II support, and lighter weight, I might budge.
post #10 of 100
MaÑana!!!!!!!
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #11 of 100
I just hope they have that intel wireless display thing.
post #12 of 100
I am at the apple store on 5th ave right now. Should I warn everyone?

By the way, this place is packed!
post #13 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Maybe this is finally the real deal. I really didn't think that Apple would do the MBP update as just a "quiet" upgrade. I figured that the processor family change in itself would pretty much warrant and dog and pony show of the new MBP product line. Guess we'll just have to wait and see tomorrow.

Don't forget the last iMac refresh, which was a big update including a revision of the form, was done just with a press release. I suspect Apple have worked out that too many 'dog and pony shows' dilutes the impact overall, so they are saving them for the big growth areas of iPhone and friends.

Thinking of the iMac precedence, I reckon there is a good chance that this MBP update will include a tweaking of the form as well. They have a lot more experience at the unibody process now, as well as lessons learned from the MBA and so would not be surprised to see a slight slimming and lightening of the whole line.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #14 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I am at the apple store on 5th ave right now. Should I warn everyone?

By the way, this place is packed!

Try this.... "Step away from the Macbook Pros!"

Disclaimer: This has been a public service announcement from AppleInsider.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #15 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I would say Blu-Ray is unlikely. Members here talk about Flash being a CPU hog trying running a Blu Ray movie on a system with a weak GPU. I have found running Blu Ray you need a 230M to help truly take the load off the CPU.

My late '08 15" unibody MBP has enough trouble with 1080p MKV files. I can't imagine BR making it to the MBP anytime soon (if at all).
post #16 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Don't forget the last iMac refresh, which was a big update including a revision of the form, was done just with a press release. I suspect Apple have worked out that too many 'dog and pony shows' dilutes the impact overall, so they are saving them for the big growth areas of iPhone and friends.

Thinking of the iMac precedence, I reckon there is a good chance that this MBP update will include a tweaking of the form as well. They have a lot more experience at the unibody process now, as well as lessons learned from the MBA and so would not be surprised to see a slight slimming and lightening of the whole line.

Agreed. Just as they do with design Apple also does with marketing. They keep it simple and don't do anything unnecessary. An unveiling event just isn't needed. They will sell.
post #17 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intel Core i3

Meanwhile, people familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider that Apple has intended to use Intel's 2.26GHz 350M Core i3 processor for the low end of at least some of its forthcoming Mac models and the Core i7 for some of its extreme or BTO models, employing the Core i5's for the meat of the product refreshes. It wasn't specified, however, whether the models in question were notebooks or iMacs.

A breakdown of the three families of Intel's latest Core chips can be seen here.

I'm thinking Core i3 for the next MacBook the three Core i5's for the 13" and 15" MacBook Pros with the Core i7 only on the 17" MacBook Pro or a BTO for the 17" and top 15".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Reply
post #18 of 100
The low-end Macbook Pro would be nice to see what's new. Besides new processors and beefed-up hard disks and RAM what else would be nice to have?
post #19 of 100
The Vaio I ordered is supposed to ship tomorrow. I don't know what to do! cancel it and I have to wait another two weeks if nothing happens tomorrow, or potentially be blown away by what Apple brings to the table. What do I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

My late '08 15" unibody MBP has enough trouble with 1080p MKV files. I can't imagine BR making it to the MBP anytime soon (if at all).

That's because VLC on the Mac doesn't support GPU acceleration. Bluray decoding would, and given that it runs cleanly on Atom based systems with Intel Graphics, it shouldn't be a problem on a new machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

I wonder how fast the MBP13 i3 would be compared to the current entry level MBP13 2.26ghz c2d

The i3 is between 10 and 50% faster in some benchmarks. The only Core 2 processor that is even close is the Core 2 Extreme 3.33Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Maybe this is finally the real deal. I really didn't think that Apple would do the MBP update as just a "quiet" upgrade.

It would have... in January. If he got up there now the most he could say is "You know those processors and video cards that literally every other manufacturer in the world has been shipping for over a third of a year now at price points half of ours? Yeah, we just got that."
post #20 of 100
I just want usb 3 soo these become alittle more future proof(although tech is never future proof)

If these release tomorrow, I will buy one, no matter what lol
post #21 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

That's because VLC on the Mac doesn't support GPU acceleration. Bluray decoding would, and given that it runs cleanly on Atom based systems with Intel Graphics, it shouldn't be a problem on a new machine.

Actually, I'm not even using the VLC player. Just using Quicktime X with the Perian plug-in. Would the VLC player work better? Maybe I'll try it out.
post #22 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

My late '08 15" unibody MBP has enough trouble with 1080p MKV files. I can't imagine BR making it to the MBP anytime soon (if at all).

How do you know it's the MBP? The performance is well above the minimum for 1080p content with high-profile H.264. What programs have you used to play the MKV? QT7, QTZ, Movist, VLC, or other? Movist works best for me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How do you know it's the MBP? The performance is well above the minimum for 1080p content with high-profile H.264. What programs have you used to play the MKV? QT7, QTZ, Movist, VLC, or other? Movist works best for me.

To be honest, I don't know that it's my MBP that's the root cause. I'm just using QT-X and Perian. I'll try Movist. Thanks.
post #24 of 100
Arrandale i7 is all but guaranteed for the high-end 15" MBP...I'm more interested at this point to see what graphics configuration they offer for that machine. That's the only remaining mystery, and it'll be resolved in less than 24 hours!
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
Reply
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
Reply
post #25 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Could also be the download speed if he is trying to stream 1080p.

No, not streaming. Playing from the HDD.
post #26 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How do you know it's the MBP? The performance is well above the minimum for 1080p content with high-profile H.264. What programs have you used to play the MKV? QT7, QTZ, Movist, VLC, or other? Movist works best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Could also be the download speed if he is trying to stream 1080p.

FWIW, I just downloaded and tried Movist and it worked beautifully.
I then tried QT-X again and it became completely unresponsive. Thanks for the info.
post #27 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

FWIW, I just downloaded and tried Movist and it worked beautifully.
I then tried QT-X again and it became completely unresponsive. Thanks for the info.

That's usually the case. While the Perian pane in System Sreferences is 64-bit, the codecs are still being run as a seperate process as 32-bit. VLC is still my "if VLC doesn't play this nothing will" last resort but the app is buggy and just ugly to use. As you've now experienced, Movist gives you the feel of a true Mac app but with the versatility of VLC. I find it to be more stable and work better for MKV and H.264. It's also good for FLV files.

PS: Don't forget to change your MKVs to open with Movist.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Maybe this is finally the real deal. I really didn't think that Apple would do the MBP update as just a "quiet" upgrade. I figured that the processor family change in itself would pretty much warrant and dog and pony show of the new MBP product line.

This is pretty typical of Apple. They won't hold an actual event unless there's a major redesign. This is really just an incremental performance upgrade.
post #29 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Don't forget the last iMac refresh, which was a big update including a revision of the form, was done just with a press release. I suspect Apple have worked out that too many 'dog and pony shows' dilutes the impact overall, so they are saving them for the big growth areas of iPhone and friends.

Thinking of the iMac precedence, I reckon there is a good chance that this MBP update will include a tweaking of the form as well. They have a lot more experience at the unibody process now, as well as lessons learned from the MBA and so would not be surprised to see a slight slimming and lightening of the whole line.

Fully agree.
(I love it when somebody else says everything I was going to say. Saves me doing all that pesky typing)
post #30 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One person noted that his/her Apple retail store's inventory manager has been prohibited from placing any new orders for MacBook Pros through the company even though the store had run out of models to sell to customers.
Another person noted that his/her Apple retail store had similarly run out of 13- and 17-inch MacBook Pros, which has never happened at that particular store since he/she worked there.
A third person employed at an Apple retail store noted that stock of all three sizes of MacBook Pros were dangerously low as of this weekend. The inventory manager at that store was instructed to make room for a shipment of 16 palettes of Mac merchandise on either Tuesday or Wednesday, which is 4 palettes more Mac merchandize than the store typically stocks in total.[/url][/c]

Apple Stores don't 'order' inventory. It's automatically replenished based on [sales trend] x [days in stock] - [# sold]. The most obvious sign something is about to launch is a sell off of existing inventory without auto-replenishment. Because most stockrooms are so small, Retail's inventory control team ensures there is space for new product... usually... before it arrives. Otherwise, stores end up throwing inventory anywhere and everywhere they can which doesn't lead to solid inventory integrity.
post #31 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

To be honest, I don't know that it's my MBP that's the root cause. I'm just using QT-X and Perian. I'll try Movist. Thanks.

Yeah. Not to knock VLC (It's great) but I'm really loving Movist; and then along with an installation of Perian as well.
post #32 of 100
This is my favourite Apple hardware news of the year.
post #33 of 100
What's the over/under on Apple changing the screen ratio on the MBP to 16:9?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #34 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

What's the over/under on Apple changing the screen ratio on the MBP to 16:9?

That's. Deal breaker for me buying another 13" MBP. You lose too much screen height for my tastes.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #35 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There is no way Apple is going to put an i7 in the MBP.

Why not? There's some pretty efficient dual-core i7 chips for laptops these days.
post #36 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

What's the over/under on Apple changing the screen ratio on the MBP to 16:9?

God, that would really suck..

There's just no other way to say it.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #37 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Actually, I'm not even using the VLC player. Just using Quicktime X with the Perian plug-in. Would the VLC player work better? Maybe I'll try it out.

Hey Rob. The Quicktime & Perian combination is the reason you are having problems. Unlike with VLC/Movist, with that combination, Quicktime actually has to scan the entire MKV file before it actually plays it back. You should see what resembles a web video loading progress bar when you first open up a MKV. Once that bar files up, Quicktime will actually play the file fine. That time varies depending on the size of the file though.

Apple might changed this behavior in the future, but you won't experience this with other players right now.
post #38 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

My bet is except for some under the hood changes you aren't going to be able to tell the new MBP from the old. I doubt many will even be able to see a marked speed increase.

There is no way Apple is going to put an i7 in the MBP.

You are completely wrong. There is no way they won't use i7.
post #39 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Actually, I'm not even using the VLC player. Just using Quicktime X with the Perian plug-in. Would the VLC player work better? Maybe I'll try it out.

A good codec can also make a difference. To give you an idea, on my media center PC I use CoreAVC. About 2-3 years ago I started doing 1080P mkv files and my old CPU at the time (Core 2 E6300 1.86 Ghz) had some trouble. I bought CoreAVC and it allowed me to play most of 1080p content without trouble. CoreAVC now supports GPU acceleration and takes advantage of my cheapo $70 Geforce 9800 GT card - I can play any Bluray disks and all 1080p content with CPU barely going above 20% utilization, and mostly due to DTS audio re-encoding.
post #40 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

My bet is except for some under the hood changes you aren't going to be able to tell the new MBP from the old. I doubt many will even be able to see a marked speed increase.

There is no way Apple is going to put an i7 in the MBP.

Absurd. What else are they going to use? There will be an i7-620M in those laptops, mark my words.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple halts retail orders for MacBook Pros ahead of new models