or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple halts retail orders for MacBook Pros ahead of new models

Apple halts retail orders for MacBook Pros ahead of new models - Page 2

post #41 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple last week instated a stay on new retail orders for MacBook Pros as it prepares to introduce the first significant updates to the professional notebook line in over a year...

I coulda told you that. My new MBP arrived here last week
post #42 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

I coulda told you that. My new MBP arrived here last week

You can still return it
post #43 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Absurd. What else are they going to use? There will be an i7-620M in those laptops, mark my words.

I think we'll see i3, i5 and i7. They all fit the MB to MBP lines, but there are some other dynamics involved here with the supply constraints so who knows what they'll do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a short term update that will resolve in a special event and case change in under 6 months, but still utilizing the same processor.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #44 of 100
NEWS FLASH!

Apple gets back to doing computers!!!!!!!!
post #45 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by absd View Post

A good codec can also make a difference. To give you an idea, on my media center PC I use CoreAVC. About 2-3 years ago I started doing 1080P mkv files and my old CPU at the time (Core 2 E6300 1.86 Ghz) had some trouble. I bought CoreAVC and it allowed me to play most of 1080p content without trouble. CoreAVC now supports GPU acceleration and takes advantage of my cheapo $70 Geforce 9800 GT card - I can play any Bluray disks and all 1080p content with CPU barely going above 20% utilization, and mostly due to DTS audio re-encoding.

Actually, in this case it isn't codec that is the problem. Quicktime is coded to want to know everything that is in a media file. This information is contained in something called an index as part of the file. MKV files don't have an index, so Quicktime has to scan (index) the file. Once the file has been indexed, Quicktime will play the file fine, provided your hardware can support the bandwidth.
post #46 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yeah. Not to knock VLC (It's great) but I'm really loving Movist; and then along with an installation of Perian as well.

Love Movist as well, but it doesn't seem to like .vob (DVD) files.
post #47 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

NEWS FLASH!

Apple gets back to doing computers!!!!!!!!

While this is somewhat true, I think and I'm sure you do as well, the iPad and iPhone are both computers...just smaller. I actually think that the iPhone is closer to a desktop os vs. other mobile platforms, since at its core it is Mac OS X. I also think the reason that Snow Leopard was such an optimization release was due mostly to the iPhone OS branch, but their desktop and laptops also greatly benefited. This unified approach is really rare. Apple uses OS X across so many of their products. It ties into Steve Job's statement that OS X would be used for quite sometime. It's robust enough. To even paint a broader stroke, Apple's new manufacturing techniques are being rolled out across most of their hardware. Their unibody process started in the MacBook Air and is now a part of their entire notebook line and now the iPad. Would it surprise anyone if the iPhone has some sort of unibody construction? Their top to bottom approach is actually quite amazingly put together.
post #48 of 100
They better not put in I3 on board video in any system over $1000 and not in the $600+ mini.
post #49 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

They better not put in I3 on board video in any system over $1000 and not in the $600+ mini.

I hope they do use Intel's integrated graphics. Not having dynamic switching between the IGP and GPU is another deal breaker for me.
post #50 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we'll see i3, i5 and i7. They all fit the MB to MBP lines, but there are some other dynamics involved here with the supply constraints so who knows what they'll do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a short term update that will resolve in a special event and case change in under 6 months, but still utilizing the same processor.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant (and I sure hope the i3 will be exclusive to the MB, because that's not exactly a "pro" processor). One thing I know for sure though: they're not going to use C2Ds any longer. AFAIK these things are EOL this summer.
post #51 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I am at the apple store on 5th ave right now. Should I warn everyone?

They would love that. Cost them sales over something that is not yet confirmed. What if it turns out that the rumors are wrong and the new laptops aren't coming out tomorrow. Or if someone was in the market for a 15 inch and it's just the 13's that are upgraded.

Even if someone buys today and it is released tomorrow, Apple is good about taking them back with no restock fee. Especially if it's only a couple of days later.

as for all the computer cracks, Apple is just going where the market is. The world is going mobile. So they have launched a mobile form, folks wanted a bigger screen on that form, they got it. Doesn't mean that they are forgetting desktops or laptops. They are just trying to give what the market wants. And remember the market is more than geeks. It's your mama's too.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #52 of 100
Except for the lowest-end 13.3" MacBook Pro, the white 13.3" MacBooks and the line of MacBook Airs, the MacBook Pro models no longer can be ordered online from Best Buy. Last week I noted that Micro Center was offering instant rebates and prepaid VISA cards on the 13.3" white MacBook 2.26 Ghz, the 13.3" MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz and the 21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz. So the channel definitely is being cleared of existing hardware.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #53 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Absurd really? I am willing to bet they will not go with the Arrandale. This would be typical for Apple. No chance of an i7, mark my words.

When was the last time Apple used the latest chip and the fastest chip release? The answer to that question is never.

Almost all the time? Heck, there were times that Apple had chips before anyone else. They almost ALWAYS have the same chips as other people shortly after they come out. The i7 has been out long enough that it's almost a sure thing - probably as an option.

I'd guess i3 for 13", i5 for 15 and 17" with i7 optional for at least the 17", maybe 15".
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #54 of 100
Quote:

Absurd really? I am willing to bet they will not go with the Arrandale. This would be typical for Apple. No chance of an i7, mark my words.

When was the last time Apple used the latest chip and the fastest chip release? The answer to that question is never.

OK, what else are they going to use?
I'm sure C2Ds won't be in production much longer.
post #55 of 100
Did anyone notice the lower end Macbook is priced $ 799 down from $ 999 or did i miss something?
post #56 of 100
Time to get a previous-gen Macbook Pro at clearance prices as soon as the new ones hit the shelves!
post #57 of 100
Hi Everyone,

I am excited to say I just ordered my first Mac yesterday. I got a 15" 2.8G mac and it was ordered on Friday April 09, 2010. I was notified that the new Mac would possibly come out on the 13th and that is when my item is supposedly going to be shipped. Does this mean that my new mac will be one of the new computers that will be released by Apple or will it be one of the older models?

Thanks for your time!
post #58 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant (and I sure hope the i3 will be exclusive to the MB, because that's not exactly a "pro" processor). One thing I know for sure though: they're not going to use C2Ds any longer. AFAIK these things are EOL this summer.

I think there are a couple things worth considering. Apple may want to push C2D + 9400M for MB and low-end MBPs to clear out inventory. Since the current MB and low-end MBPs uses the same CPU and IGP, we may see i3, i5 and i7 in the MBP line.

Quote:

Absurd really? I am willing to bet they will not go with the Arrandale i7. This would be typical for Apple. No chance of an i7, mark my words.

When was the last time Apple used the latest chip and the fastest chip release? The answer to that question is never. At best you will get an i5.

Even the 620m in bulk is a 332.00 chip with Apple normal 52% markup that isn't going to happen.

Why exactly isn't going to happen?

Currently in the 15" and 17" MBPs...

— T9900 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 3.06 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $530
— T9600 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 2.80 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $316

(All prices in lots of 1000)

http://www.intc.com/priceList.cfm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Almost all the time? Heck, there were times that Apple had chips before anyone else. They almost ALWAYS have the same chips as other people shortly after they come out. The i7 has been out long enough that it's almost a sure thing - probably as an option.

I'd guess i3 for 13", i5 for 15 and 17" with i7 optional for at least the 17", maybe 15".

To be fair, the chips Apple got early were usually Xeons for the top of the line Mac Pros. Same goes for the CULV SFF C2D used in the MBA, but that was a shelved chip design, not something made from scratch for Apple.

If I recall correctly, the only chips that never wound up on their price list were for the 2008 iMacs that came out with Penryn CPUs on the Montevina platform with a wonky 1066MHz FSB.

Logistics prevent Apple from getting the millions notebook chips they need ahead of others and as they outpace the PC market this will become an increasing issue. I hope we see more Mac notebook options come out of Cupertino because of this.
post #59 of 100
eWifi was an app in the App Store but Apple removed it due to "limited functionality", but now it's available via Cydia! Hooray for jailbreaking!
post #60 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by iZilla View Post

Hi Everyone,

I am excited to say I just ordered my first Mac yesterday. I got a 15" 2.8G mac and it was ordered on Friday April 09, 2010. I was notified that the new Mac would possibly come out on the 13th and that is when my item is supposedly going to be shipped. Does this mean that my new mac will be one of the new computers that will be released by Apple or will it be one of the older models?

Thanks for your time!

Welcome to the forum.

Apple has a great policy for this type of issue so assuming you bought it from them you can get the newer model if it's 2 weeks. Historically, Apple has simply waited to ship/deliver the new model so you should be fine, but I would suggest looking at the sticker on the side to see what the contents are before opening if your Mac is updated tomorrow.
post #61 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Try this.... "Step away from the Macbook Pros!"

Disclaimer: This has been a public service announcement from AppleInsider.

Or go around to all the macbook pros on display and bring up this article and bookmark in the bar and set it as the homepage of the browser.
post #62 of 100
extremeskater is on drugz.

the current 17" has the option for 2.8GHz or 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache. is that not a top-of-the-line C2D?

why would Apple NOT offer an i7 for the 17"? u make no sense. as if Apple is looking to save buyers of a $2500 laptop $100-$150 by choosing one chip over another.

we may not see it offered for the 15", but I guarantee the 17" will have one the i7 as an option, if not standard.

separately, i'm relieved and excited about tomorrow/Wed.
post #63 of 100
My bigger concern is GPUs. Please go with ATI's DX11 HD5000 series. nVidia Optimus really isn't a significant enough feature to justify using nVidia's older generation mobile GPUs despite whatever rebranding nVidia does. Something like a Mobility HD5750 with GDDR5 would be great.

For processor I'm hoping the Core i7 620M will be standard in the high-end 15" MBP and 17" MBP, while a special run Core i7 dual core with even higher clock speed, hopefully 2.93GHz, will be available as a BTO at the same 35W TDP.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=700

There was a post on Macrumours claiming the introduction of Blu-Ray readers across the line. I would totally support this move, since with software, especially games, being multi-DVD, the faster Blu-Ray acquires a broad installed base on Macs, the faster developers can switch over to single Blu-Ray distribution. Similar to how Mac developers were much quicker to switch to exclusive DVD distribution rather than also having to support multi-CD releases, because Apple was able to make DVD drives standard on all Macs. This is in addition to arguments to support Blu-Ray for video playback or video content creation.
post #64 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by moo083 View Post

Or go around to all the macbook pros on display and bring up this article and bookmark in the bar and set it as the homepage of the browser.

Ooooooooooooh.

That's a good one!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #65 of 100
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your time!

Interesting.

Anyone else ever experience this on ordering something that suddenly becomes an end-of-life product prior to delivery?
post #66 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's. Deal breaker for me buying another 13" MBP. You lose too much screen height for my tastes.

Same here. 16:9 on something you have to actually work on is retarded. Even with IDE with multiple debugger screens spread out horizontally I could never find use for all that horizontal space. And all for what? So that *SOME* movies could display better. A quick tally of hands: how many people here will buy 17'' Macbook pro with the main purpose being: watching movies? Didn't think so.

In general this drive in electronic industry to replace everything with 16:9 simply because of cost savings is annoying to me. Like the wide screen GPS devices. Why on earth would I want to see MORE of the roads that I'm NOT going to be driving on? I ditched my expensive standalone Garmin unit and went to IPhone TomTom simply because you can use it in vertical mode.
post #67 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Interesting.

Anyone else ever experience this on ordering something that suddenly becomes an end-of-life product prior to delivery?

I have heard of this before. If it is within a day or two, they are changing over their assembly line. They need to swap to the new parts, so it is not feasible to construct an old machine that is being replaced, especially when it is being built to order, if you upgrade the hard drive or the CPU or some-such.
post #68 of 100
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your time!

Best thing you can do right away is to have your order confirmation number in hand and call Apple's 800-MY-APPLE sales number to be sure. Until the new models are actually released there's no public knowledge of their price points and how those might compare with what you ordered. If you want a new model and they're going to ship the older model to you that you ordered - better to put a hold on things rather than going through the rigmarole of returning a shipment and waiting for a new one. After all, the only thing this will take on your part is an 800 call.

post #69 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Actually, I'm not even using the VLC player. Just using Quicktime X with the Perian plug-in. Would the VLC player work better? Maybe I'll try it out.

I am using a older mac mini for a HTPC and have found that the programs in order of playback performance are Plex, Vlc, and then Quicktime comes stuttering up the rear. I typically use Vlc for most of my Hd stuff, if it struggles then I fire up Plex.

As always your mileage may vary.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #70 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by moo083 View Post

I have heard of this before. If it is within a day or two, they are changing over their assembly line. They need to swap to the new parts, so it is not feasible to construct an old machine that is being replaced, especially when it is being built to order, if you upgrade the hard drive or the CPU or some-such.

When I ordered a iMac, update before this latest one, the site said nothing about delays but took 1 week longer because they where upgrading the hardware and hard drives. Had no idea the upgraded iMac's where coming. They gave me the latest and greatest at the same price and better internals. Might happen to you too.

I am waiting on the new MBP too. Fingers crossed it's tomorrow....

- dp
post #71 of 100
Been waiting for the MBP update to switch to Mac

Just hope something is announced Soon.
Need to decide how much im going to spend

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

post #72 of 100
Movist is a great video player. Also take a look at MPlayer OSX Extended; it is 64-bit native and the developer updates the app frequently.
post #73 of 100
I doubt it but I wonder of the 10.6.3 1.1 update (released just moments ago) has anything to do with support for tomorrow's hardware.
post #74 of 100
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your time!

Please let us know what you get!
post #75 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I doubt it but I wonder of the 10.6.3 1.1 update (released just moments ago) has anything to do with support for tomorrow's hardware.

Makes you wonder sometimes......
post #76 of 100
I know Apple normally announces new products on Tuesdays but wouldn't it make more sense for Wednesday? Seeing how they will be at Nab
post #77 of 100
"first significant updates...in over a year"?

wow i guess AI really expects this to be on par with the unibody introduction in october '08. otherwise the last minor changes were at wwdc last june (minor spec bumps, price drops, sd card), 10 months ago.

I guess a whole change in processor generation would be good enough reason to add other features as well. I just hope they're not all too busy with iPad and iPhone OS 4
post #78 of 100
Store inventory managers do not order product - orders are generated based on sales. Not aware of high volume stores that manually order products and I am sure Apple does not leave it up to store inventory managers to decide how many iPads, etc. a store is going to have. Apple stores are running out of iMacs and iPads. Does that mean there is already a new iPad and iMac?
Science and technology multiply around us. To an increasing extent they dictate the languages in which we speak and think. Either we use those languages, or we remain mute.
J G Ballard
Science and technology multiply around us. To an increasing extent they dictate the languages in which we speak and think. Either we use those languages, or we remain mute.
J G Ballard
post #79 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcashe View Post

Store inventory managers do not order product - orders are generated based on sales. Not aware of high volume stores that manually order products and I am sure Apple does not leave it up to store inventory managers to decide how many iPads, etc. a store is going to have. Apple stores are running out of iMacs and iPads. Does that mean there is already a new iPad and iMac?

It's very clear that you haven't followed Apple's hardware updates over the past 13 years.
post #80 of 100
So how well will a 15" MBP bought last September hold its value on eBay? Time to look at upgrading
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple halts retail orders for MacBook Pros ahead of new models