or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources reveal specs of Apple's MacBook Pro refresh

Sources reveal specs of Apple's MacBook Pro refresh - Page 2

post #41 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post

LMFAO, a mass jump off a cliff with our MBP's, like the mass cow suicide in South Park hehe. Ah I hope it's MBP's about ready to take an axe to my 2008 POS MBP

post #42 of 89
I was in the Robina Store today, after there was the report showing the specs. Couple of people were talking to the staff about buying a Pro. Seriously tempted to interrupt and tell them that they were making a HUGE mistake. But I didn't.
There's gonna be one unhappy family with an outdated MBP tomorrow...
Simplicity is king.
Simplicity is king.
post #43 of 89
The Geforce GT335M is slightly better than the GT330M. Almost 3000 at 3DMark Vantage and 7000 at 3DMark 06, it's actually usable for playing decent games during the upcoming year
post #44 of 89
It's up! It's up!!!
Simplicity is king.
Simplicity is king.
post #45 of 89
back up in Aus

15-inch: 2.4GHz
15-inch: 2.53GHz
15-inch: 2.66GHz
17-inch: 2.53GHz
Intel Core i5\tIntel Core i5\tIntel Core i7\tIntel Core i5
4-GB Memory\t4-GB Memory\t4-GB Memory\t4-GB Memory
320-GB hard drive1\t500-GB hard drive1\t500-GB hard drive1\t500-GB hard drive1
SD card slot\tSD card slot\tSD card slot\tExpressCard/34 slot
Built-in 8- to 9-hour battery2\tBuilt-in 8- to 9-hour battery2\tBuilt-in 8- to 9-hour battery2\tBuilt-in 8- to 9-hour battery2
Intel HD Graphics\tIntel HD Graphics\tIntel HD Graphics\tIntel HD Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB\tNVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB\tNVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB\tNVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB
Estimated Ship: Within 24hrs\t Estimated Ship: Within 24hrs\t Estimated Ship: Within 24hrs\t Estimated Ship: Within 24hrs
Free Shipping\tFree Shipping\tFree Shipping\tFree Shipping
A$ 2,199.00
A$ 2,499.00
A$ 2,798.00
A$ 2,899.00
post #46 of 89
All i5's and one i7
post #47 of 89
13 inchers stay at Core 2 Duo. Ouch
post #48 of 89
13"s have still got the Core Duos...
15"s have got i5's and one i7...
17"s only got the i5's. now that doesn't make sense.
Simplicity is king.
Simplicity is king.
post #49 of 89
Completly Off-Topic:

Just had to share this with you
"Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level and beats you with experience."
"Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level and beats you with experience."
post #50 of 89
I don't see them listed, but I hope the White Macbook and Macbook Air get updates as well. I'd like to see the White macbook get an SD slot and the Macbook Air to get an SD slot as well, 4GB ram and a new trackpad(it still has the old separate click button style).

Other than that, I'm psyched to see the new line up.

But THREE different types of Glossy Screens? Glossy. Glossy Hi-Res and Glossy Anti Glare? Is this a way to gouge people out of more money? Why not just make them ALL hi res and anti glare? And if they HAVE to be separate, why not just lump the Hi-Res and Anti-Glare together? I dunno how i feel about this. I wish it was just a choice of Glossy and non Glossy. Isn't that what most people complained about, that they missed the non glossy displays? Why give people THREE types of glossy choices, and NO non glossy? LOL.

Oh well...guess we'll find out in a few hrs.
post #51 of 89
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M on 15 and up...NVIDIA GeForce GT 320M on 13's.
Simplicity is king.
Simplicity is king.
post #52 of 89
post #53 of 89
A 330M on a $2200 machine...what a joke. They expect that to drive 2010 games at 1680x1050?
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
post #54 of 89
Not that I can afford one right now, but I'm always interested in laptops. That high resolution screen has me wodering about how it became non reflective. I'm think it is still a glass panel but with an anti reflective coating on the glass. Done right this should keep image quality up without the reflections.

Dave
post #55 of 89
stores back up.
post #56 of 89
Holy crap those GPUs suck !
post #57 of 89
Posting just slowed down.

Everyone's taking a moment to catch their breath and let it all sink in.
post #58 of 89
Apple store is up!!!
post #59 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad421 View Post

Holy crap those GPUs suck !

And yet, these too will sell in record numbers.

(Unless of course everyone decides to get an iPad instead.)
post #60 of 89
i5 dual core @ 2.53... that is very odd.
my 17" MBP has a dual core 2.8....

how is this an update. because the bus speed is improved?
post #61 of 89
Firewire on all Pro models.
post #62 of 89
10 hours battery life on the 13" MBP. Wait, what? Isn't that like double what is offers now?
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i5 dual core @ 2.53... that is very odd.
my 17" MBP has a dual core 2.8....

how is this an update. because the bus speed is improved?

No, the entire architecture changed. Clock speed hasn't been really relevant since the Pentium III. The core iX chips are much more efficient -- per clock -- than the C2Ds. However, as I posted earlier; those GPUs blow. I was holding my breath and money for this upgrade, but with such an underpowered GPU, I wonder if it's worth it. (*It's a fine GPU for most things, but I do GPU programming (CUDA/OpenCL) for my research as a grad student, and these GPUs are just weak with respect to Nvidia's latest and greatest).
post #64 of 89
post #65 of 89
Battery life caught my eye on 13 in. Did the 13 in have backlit k/b before? These are nice things but not enough of an increment to persuade me to ditch my rev a macbook.
post #66 of 89
It was a big battery update.
post #67 of 89
this is not a refresh. it is an insult.
post #68 of 89
MASSIVE battery update.
post #69 of 89
So...I've got a 2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo 15" Macbook Pro that's about to come off AppleCare in June. I want to replace it with a 13"er, but...

Will I realistically see much performance increase between the new 13" macbook pro at 2.4 ghz and the 2007 Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 ghz? The better battery, increased RAM capacity, build quality and portability are nice, but how do the computery guts compare? I do a lot of architecture/engineering stuff (AutoCAD and ArcGIS in Parallels, Sketchup, Photoshop, etc) so I need a machine with decent cajones (though 3D performance is less important). I dunno if it makes sense to wait much longer given the increased resale value of the old machine with AppleCare.

I do _not_ want another 15" laptop, though. Too big for someone who commutes on foot every day.
post #70 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It was a big battery update.

I'm sure Steve would tell me just to plug it in if I thought capacity wasn't sufficient. I am heeding his advice and saving 1500 bucks in the process.
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad421 View Post

No, the entire architecture changed. Clock speed hasn't been really relevant since the Pentium III. The core iX chips are much more efficient -- per clock -- than the C2Ds. However, as I posted earlier; those GPUs blow. I was holding my breath and money for this upgrade, but with such an underpowered GPU, I wonder if it's worth it. (*It's a fine GPU for most things, but I do GPU programming (CUDA/OpenCL) for my research as a grad student, and these GPUs are just weak with respect to Nvidia's latest and greatest).

well, according to Apples test, my MBP 17" 2.8 dual core is only slightly slower than the latest and greatest..... and i am willing to bet, in real life, they are identical.
post #72 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

this is not a refresh. it is an insult.

Why? Just enjoy them. They can do anything you'd want them to do and do it reasonably well, all while running OS X.

SOFTWARE is the whole point, not really the hardware specs. Been this way for a long time now.

Are you really surprised?
post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by paanta View Post

So...I've got a 2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo 15" Macbook Pro that's about to come off AppleCare in June. I want to replace it with a 13"er, but...

Will I realistically see much performance increase between the new 13" macbook pro at 2.4 ghz and the 2007 Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 ghz? Anyone?

Not likely.
post #74 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why? Just enjoy them. They can do anything you'd want them to do and do it reasonably well, all while running OS X.

SOFTWARE is the whole point, not really the hardware specs. Been this way for a long time now.

Are you really surprised?

no. its a typical Apple update.
post #75 of 89
Looks like it's back to desktop land for me. 27" iMac it is!
post #76 of 89
As long as it'll run EVE Online and Aperture nicely I'm ok with it.
post #77 of 89
wow, did they get rid of one of the USB ports???

yep, they did. my MBP has 3....
post #78 of 89
wow...yawn.. macbook is almost the same as my 2007 MacBook. Oops, already said that

Btw, 512B is TINY!!!! I used up my 1TB within a couple of months downloading music alone.

All laptops should come with 1TB stock.
post #79 of 89
Re: current 13" MBP owners

Other than the battery life improvements on the 13", nothing really to see here. I'm sticking with my June '09 13" MBP.
post #80 of 89
Gutted that the 13" wont get any i3/i5 treatment... I've been waiting since January
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources reveal specs of Apple's MacBook Pro refresh