or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors - Page 8

post #281 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Dual core Core i7for $2,200? No thanks. Can get quad core Core i7 and a better gpu for 1,000 less

Wah!

"Apple didn't use the processors that drain batteries in 2 seconds while blasting your nuts into sterility!
post #282 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

But now it seems as though neither the i5 or i7 are quad-core, and both include HT, but neither include DDR3?

What makes you think they don't support DDR3? All Apple's new MacBook Pros use DDR3 RAM (as does the previous generation).

As to your other confusions, I think you may be mixing up the portable and desktop versions, with extra misunderstanding sprinkled on top. I suggest perusing wikipedia and letting us know what you find out.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #283 of 335
I could be wrong, but the upgraded Mac Mini looks identical to the upgraded 13" MBP with the exception of the graphics chip. Is that chip really worth $300 (assuming that I spent $400 on a keyboard, mouse and monitor).
post #284 of 335
Quote:

I'm a bit confused as to the differences between the i5 and i7 processors included in the new MBPs?

My understanding was that previously, both i5 and i7 processors were Turbo Boost able quad-core CPUs, with the i7 also including Hyper Threading and DDR3. Or is the DDR3 an i9 feature?

But now it seems as though neither the i5 or i7 are quad-core, and both include HT, but neither include DDR3?

So what's the difference between the i5 and i7 now that both support Hyper Threading?

L3 cache is the only thing I can think of right now i7 is 4MB and i5 is 3MB
post #285 of 335
How fast and powerful is NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB over NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB. Is worth the money to get the 512 MB.?
post #286 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsighi View Post

How fast and powerful is NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB over NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB. Is worth the money to get the 512 MB.?

Plus is the i7 worth the seemingly marginal CPU speed increase, but larger battery drain compared to the i5? The benchmarks on PC laptops with these two processors say no: it's not worth it.

Hopefully someone will benchmark the two versions of the MBP soon - I'm ready to buy.
post #287 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Plus is the i7 worth the seemingly marginal CPU speed increase, but larger battery drain compared to the i5? The benchmarks on PC laptops with these two processors say no: it's not worth it.

Hopefully someone will benchmark the two versions of the MBP soon - I'm ready to buy.

I want more battery life, so I may buy the the I5, 2.4 and change the hard drive with a SSD 128GB...
post #288 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What makes you think they don't support DDR3? All Apple's new MacBook Pros use DDR3 RAM (as does the previous generation).

As to your other confusions, I think you may be mixing up the portable and desktop versions, with extra misunderstanding sprinkled on top. I suggest perusing wikipedia and letting us know what you find out.

Sorry I'm mixing up DDR3 (of course they all support that) with triple channel memory.

D'oh!

I seem to remember the original desktop differentiations being:

i5 - Quad-core/Turbo Boost/No Hyper Threading/No triple channel memory (iMac)
i7 - Quad-core/Turbo Boost/Hyper Threading/No triple channel memory (iMac)
i9 - Quad-core/Turbo Boost/Hyper Threading/Triple channel memory (Mac Pro)

But the mobile counterparts seem to have really blurred the lines? I'm a bit confused as to what i7 brings to the party, which i5 hasn't already?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #289 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRick View Post

L3 cache is the only thing I can think of right now i7 is 4MB and i5 is 3MB

Yeah if I'm reading it properly there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the i5 and i7 (unlike the desktop equivalents)?
post #290 of 335
From Apple's website:

"Hyper-Threading.
Built-in Hyper-Threading allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core, so Mac OS X recognises four virtual cores instead of just two. When you’re running multiple applications at once, the Core i5 and Core i7 processors spread tasks more evenly across a greater number of cores — so you can get more done, faster."

I'm not sure if that means that the i5 supports Hyper Threading – or has it just been cleverly worded to suggest that it does, when in fact it is just stating the overall benefits of multiple cores (two in the case of the i5?)

Can anybody shed any light on this?

\
post #291 of 335
Quote:

I'm not sure if that means that the i5 supports Hyper Threading or has it just been cleverly worded to suggest that it does, when in fact it is just stating the overall benefits of multiple core (two in the case of the i5?)

Can anybody shed any light on this?

\

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollecti...familyId=43483
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #292 of 335
Quote:

Sweet thanks for that.

So both the i5 and i7 would appear to support Hyper Threading (2 cores, 4 threads).

So why the hell would anybody pay extra for the i7?
post #293 of 335
Quote:

Sweet thanks for that.

So both the i5 and i7 would appear to support Hyper Threading (2 cores, 4 threads).

So why the hell would anybody pay extra for the i7?

When you get the i7 you get the 512MB GPU. The i5 only comes with the 256MB GPU.
post #294 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

When you get the i7 you get the 512MB GPU. The i5 only comes with the 256MB GPU.

If you are comparing only the CPU to CPU, what advantage is there from Core-i5 to Core-i7?

edit: Here is the answer...

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=43544,48139, Note: These aren't necessarily the CPUs Apple uses, just a mobile i5 and i7 with the same clock speed for comparison.
post #295 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

This troll is still waiting for the 13" matte/anti-glare option to upgrade from his 12" powerbook.

Might be time to find another option for my mobile business needs.

I'm disappointed too. Once one uses a Mac it's difficult to change. But Apples persistent ignorance of the needs of mobile business users may leave no other choice.

Options are the Sony S-series and perhaps Acers 8471 series. I think the Sony has the better display though.
post #296 of 335
Quote:

hmmm, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the display ports now have audio, but I can't find any reference to this on Apple's site.

OK, the Mini Display Ports on the new MacBook Pros do have audio passthrough, so let this be the end of the "wah, Apple's laptops don't have HDMI" whining!
post #297 of 335
It's times like this when I wish I still had a Dell.

My 2006 15" MBP Core Duo is still going strong after almost 4 years and 3 OS upgrades! Two weeks ago I accidentally spilled some water over the keyboard. Enough that when I turned it upside down water came trickling out. I felt a mixture of dread and delight. Dread because I thought I just killed my Mac and delight because I knew the new ones were coming out. Alas, it never skipped a beat.
post #298 of 335
Quote:

...so let this be the end of the "wah, Apple's laptops don't have HDMI" whining!

Oh, If only it were that easy.
post #299 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I believe both come with 512MB in the 17" MBPs.
post #300 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you are comparing only the CPU to CPU, what advantage is there from Core-i5 to Core-i7?

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=43544,48139, Note: These aren't necessarily the CPUs Apple uses, just a mobile i5 and i7 with the same clock speed for comparison.

Thanks again for providing another interesting link.

I guess the 17" i5 looks as though it's the sweet-spot for me!
post #301 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
This troll is still waiting for the 13" matte/anti-glare option to upgrade from his 12" powerbook.
Might be time to find another option for my mobile business needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshope View Post

I'm disappointed too. Once one uses a Mac it's difficult to change. But Apples persistent ignorance of the needs of mobile business users may leave no other choice.

Options are the Sony S-series and perhaps Acers 8471 series. I think the Sony has the better display though.

I agree that Apple should be offering an anti-glare option on all its machines that have LCD (iMacs included!).

FYI, I have installed/applied the Photodon anti-reflective film to several computers, notebooks and iMacs. It does do as it is designed, to significantly cut down on reflections. But in a few cases, I have noticed a kind of 'twinkly' effect that I am not sure is to my liking. Not sure if that is because of visual interaction between the film and the kind of LCD display or what. But the photodon aftermarket option, or other similar vendors, is about the only choice till Apple comes around.

I have submitted several Apple Feedbacks on this issue, requesting them to provide anti-reflective screen options/choices. I would encourage you to add your comment there as well, as I think they are more likely to do something if they hear it directly.
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
post #302 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by morani View Post

why apple not introduce ATI graphic card for a new macbook pro? really disappointed.

Me not know.

Fire bad!
post #303 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It's times like this when I wish I still had a Dell.

My 2006 15" MBP Core Duo is still going strong after almost 4 years and 3 OS upgrades! Two weeks ago I accidentally spilled some water over the keyboard. Enough that when I turned it upside down water came trickling out. I felt a mixture of dread and delight. Dread because I thought I just killed my Mac and delight because I knew the new ones were coming out. Alas, it never skipped a beat.

Dell laptops are garbage. Half the hardware isn't compatible with the other half and most of them end up frying.
Apple is looking for product testers. http://www.apple-product-testing.com
Apple is looking for product testers. http://www.apple-product-testing.com
post #304 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw5002 View Post

Try to decide if the 1680x1050 High Resolution screen is worth the extra $100. I like the glossy...

Thoughts? Advice? I'll be getting a low-end 15" most likely.

Absolutely worth it! I would pay $500 more for the high-resolution option if it were to cost that much.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #305 of 335
I found a machine that has nearly all the things people are complaining about in this thread. Introducing the HP EliteBook 8740w. Now, it's pricer than the comparable MBP and weighs quite a bit more while offering less battery duration, but it includes USB3.0, eSATA, docking connector, EC/54, SmartCard Reader, everything else you care about in the MBP and enough specs to impress your friends when you tell them about it.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...9-4155897.html The only letdown for the myopic appears to be the inclusion of DisplayPort thus requiring an adapter to make it HDMI. But don't fret, you get VGA and an RJ-11 jack, which will come in handy if your desk becomes the center of a Work Cubicle Time Machine that sends you back to 1995. Leave to HP's forward (and backward) thinking.
post #306 of 335
Quote:

I found a machine that has nearly all the things people are complaining about in this thread. Introducing the HP EliteBook 8740w. Now, it's pricer than the comparable MBP and weighs quite a bit more while offering less battery duration, but it includes USB3.0, eSATA, docking connector, EC/54, SmartCard Reader, everything else you care about in the MBP and enough specs to impress your friends when you tell them about it.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...9-4155897.html The only letdown for the myopic appears to be the inclusion of DisplayPort thus requiring an adapter to make it HDMI. But don't fret, you get VGA and an RJ-11 jack, which will come in handy if your desk becomes the center of a Work Cubicle Time Machine that sends you back to 1995. Leave to HP's forward (and backward) thinking.

That is a very full-featured laptop, but has no one here ever heard the concept of "Less is more?" "all the things people are complaining about in this thread" are nice, but would they make a real difference in your use and enjoyment of an MBP? The answer is different for all of us, but for me the answer is no. I just ordered a 15" i7, anti-glare high res, 8 gigs, 7200 rpm /500 gig with Apple care. I'll have it next week.
post #307 of 335
I ordered a new 13", but I would say that USB 3.0 ports would have been really nice. The rest I am indifferent towards.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #308 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I ordered a new 13", but I would say that USB 3.0 ports would have been really nice. The rest I am indifferent towards.

Agreed. Apple might choose to skip USB 3 and try to leapfrog everyone on LightPeak kind of like they did with "n" Wifi. They released products using 802.11n before the final spec was approved.
post #309 of 335
I ordered 15" MBP i5 HiRes Gloss. I am going to install a 500 gig 7200 rpm drive myself. Apple added 2-day shipping for me and gave me a MB power adapter since mine ironically fried just this Tues when the updates came out. That was quite a coincidence. I have read they updated the MagSafe plug so it doesn't fray. That's very good to hear- the current connector was so stupidly small it facilitated yanking w/ the cord and thus fraying. I guess they had enough returned power bricks it started to cost them, heh. I'm excited. The one thing, man this was expensive. I'm expecting nothing less than perfection.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #310 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

The one thing, man this was expensive.

Yeah there's no getting around that. Unfortunately no one ever says to me "Here's 3 grand, go buy yourself something pretty."
post #311 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Agreed. Apple might choose to skip USB 3 and try to leapfrog everyone on LightPeak kind of like they did with "n" Wifi. They released products using 802.11n before the final spec was approved.

They still need to support USB so why not add USB3.0. LightPeak still isn't ratified so we shouldn't expect anything until 2011 from any vendor at this point.

Then there is the issue of data. Sure, it supports USB data but it's still optical so you'll need an optical to cooper convertor with a power passthrough if they are going to support to iDevices and nearly all other types of data transfers.
post #312 of 335
Quote:

They still need to support USB so why not add USB3.0. LightPeak still isn't ratified so we shouldn't expect anything until 2011 from any vendor at this point.

Then there is the issue of data. Sure, it supports USB data but it's still optical so you'll need an optical to cooper convertor with a power passthrough if they are going to support to iDevices and nearly all other types of data transfers.

Looking around at newegg it looks like there are lots of USB 3 products, but they are mostly ways to add USB3 to your system or cables for them. Nothing that is actually going to be making full use of USB3 and certainly nothing that is already maxing out USB2. Are the external hard drives faster? Sure. I just don't think that Apple feels there are enough products on the market to make it worthwhile, especially since Intel doesn't include USB3 support in the Arrandale chips, it's all addons by other companies we're seeing so far. I think next year's MBPs will be much more likely to have USB3.

Sandy Bridge is due out early next year (hmm around refresh time), will be quad core, and 20% faster and smaller than Arrandale. Intel is working on an addon chip that combines USB3 and SATA 6GBps, but that supposedly might not be out until Q3 2011. http://forum.notebookreview.com/show....php?p=6142316
post #313 of 335
Installed 7200 rpm 500 gig drive, MBP HiRes up and running-awesome.

However when I put headphones stereo jack into the audio in or out it's VERY tight, I have to push hard/pull hard. Anyone else notice this or do I have a unique issue? It's very tight, too, not just a little. However once in it works fine...thoughts?
post #314 of 335
Quote:

Installed 7200 rpm 500 gig drive, MBP HiRes up and running-awesome.

However when I put headphones stereo jack into the audio in or out it's VERY tight, I have to push hard/pull hard. Anyone else notice this or do I have a unique issue? It's very tight, too, not just a little. However once in it works fine...thoughts?

I guess the easiest thing to do is if you're near an Apple Store or reseller, go and check out the audio ports on their machines.
post #315 of 335
How limited I will be if I buy the 13" MacBook Pro C2D @ 2.66 GHz compared with 15' I7 2.4 GHz but video is dedicated (NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB )...? Is been 2 weeks and can't decide?
I am not going to play Crysis, but I may play some games.
post #316 of 335
Quote:

Here are the actual CPUs that are used in the new Macbook Pros
http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=47341,43544,43560

The main differences are CPU MHz (including Turbo mode) and Cache.
nothing here, move along...
nothing here, move along...
post #317 of 335
I was in the Shibuya Apple store yesterday getting some quotes on education i5/i7's. I asked a few questions about the display and hooking up to an HDTV using hdmi. Without thinking I said:

'y'know, if I want to watch a blu-ray or something'

There was an embarrassed pause and we both let it slide. But the guy in the store knew full well that not being able to playback this increasingly standard high street format on a top of the range Pro was kind of ridiculous.
post #318 of 335
Quote:

I guess the easiest thing to do is if you're near an Apple Store or reseller, go and check out the audio ports on their machines.

Oddly enough the port is fine now. My main annoyance is this new one-button trackpad. I hate it. I have given it a chance. I don't think I'll grow to love it. I'll have to put tape over part of it. However I will say that the pinching and interial scrolling and other gestures are ubercool. Kinda an even tradeoff in my mind. Funny though, I feel like my fiance's 12" PBG4 feels like it has better build quality in a few ways. The cheapo keys in particular on the MBP are, well, cheap feeling. But the screen...The screen is so bright it's almost too bright!!!! iLoveIt!

Also they did NOT learn their lesson with the power plug. My last one fried. This one the connector is different but still very tiny, unlike the barrel-shaped connector from PowerBooks. It'll probably end up fraying and getting replaced by Apple in a few years. I wonder when they will realize this and redesign it.
post #319 of 335
Quote:

Oddly enough the port is fine now.

Glad to hear it.

Quote:

My main annoyance is this new one-button trackpad. I hate it. I have given it a chance. I don't think I'll grow to love it.

What exactly don't you like about it? As I've said a few times I think it's by far the best trackpad I've ever used. In terms of using it like an old trackpad with a "real" button, I found it came naturally to me. I can use the new trackpad in exactly the same way as an older one with my thumb resting near the bottom of the trackpad where a physical button would have been. The software is clever enough to realise in that situation that you're not attempting to perform a two-finger gesture and essentially "ignores" the thumb.

Quote:

Also they did NOT learn their lesson with the power plug. My last one fried. This one the connector is different but still very tiny, unlike the barrel-shaped connector from PowerBooks. It'll probably end up fraying and getting replaced by Apple in a few years. I wonder when they will realize this and redesign it.

I don't understand that either
post #320 of 335
Quote:

Where does it say it's *not* compatible? FW800 spec is designed to be backwards compatible with FW400.

Well it doesn't say "not" as you say .. but it just isn't mentioned as it is on the 13" & 17" where they specifically point out it is backwards compatible. I didn't know whether all FW800 was backwards compatible or just those specifically designed to be. I thought maybe they were screwing with us on that model?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors