or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad shortage forces Apple to delay international launch until May
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad shortage forces Apple to delay international launch until May - Page 3

post #81 of 129
If your ready to pay a 200$ premium, for those who can't wait. There's always ebay.
post #82 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko View Post

I wish the AppleInsider report hewed a little more closely to what Apple's announcement actually said. Apple did not say it "sold" 500,000 iPads, it said it "delivered" that number of devices. Apple always words its public statements very carefully so I think the use of the word "delivered" was not casual but a clear and conscious choice, especially because less than a week ago at the iPhone 4.0 preview, Jobs said Apple had "sold" over 450,000 units. There is a switch in language. Somehow, AppleInsider and most of the other sites reporting this story this morning have transformed "delivered" into "sold." They're not synonyms.

I don't doubt that those "delivered" iPads will in fact be sold into people's hands very quickly. I think the iPad is already a big success; I bought one on the first day. But I think for journalism's sake, it's important to point out the distinction that Apple itself is making between something "delivered" and something "sold."

They don't mean delivered to stores. They are talking about delivered to actual customers. They are using this language to differentiate between fulfilled and unfulfilled pre-orders. They are not referring to stocking stores. They don't want to count pre-sales because they can be canceled without penalty and counting those customers says nothing about the supply chain.
post #83 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by clix View Post

If your ready to pay a 200$ premium, for those who can't wait. There's always ebay.

Or a vacation to the States. The weather in Chicago is unseasonable good right now. It is supposed to hit 80 today.
post #84 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

That's Natick.

Did you check out the flagship store on Boylton Street in Boston? Architecturally, it is an eyesore, but it is the biggest in the Boston area.

Thanks for the heads up. After a week in Oakham, I had a hard time pronouncing Worcester, let alone spell it.

Boston? Been there and a couple of dozen stores from London to Beijing to my wife's chagrin.

Make that three dozen. And more to soon come.
post #85 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

They don't mean delivered to stores. They are talking about delivered to actual customers. They are using this language to differentiate between fulfilled and unfulfilled pre-orders. They are not referring to stocking stores. They don't want to count pre-sales because they can be canceled without penalty and counting those customers says nothing about the supply chain.

I agree that Apple - or anyone else for that matter - doesn't count pre-orders as "sold" since as you say, those pre-orders can be canceled and Apple won't even charge customers for the pre-orders until they ship. But since it's clearly industry practice that pre-orders don't count as sold, then why did Apple go out of its way to use the word "delivered" instead of "sold"? Why didn't it just use the word "sold" to mean "delivered to actual customers" since it's understood that "sold" doesn't include pre-orders?

It seems to me the use of the word "delivered" is more ambiguous than your explanation. I don't think it's clear at all that "delivered" mean "delivered to actual customers." I think it could very well encompass "delivered to Best Buy stores and other independent retailers but not yet sold by those third party retailers into customers hands." I don't know. But I do think this uncertainty as to what "delivered" means suggests that reporting on this story should have included a short discussion of what exactly Apple is saying instead of just assuming that delivered=sold. I don't think that assumption is obviously correct. As I said, I think this is fairly minor quibble of mine but I do think it's a valid one.
post #86 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

The iPad features/specs should be no different as are Apple's Macs.

The iPad is not restricted to one operator.

More operators does not equal lower plan costs. We have 4 in Canada and nothing changed.

By the way, what is the roaming/long distance charges between the UK and Malta? As you can see in the attachment*, there is none from Maine to California.

*http://goeurope.about.com/od/europea...arison-map.htm

No Poland, Finland etc in the 'Europe Map'. Americans ...

Usual roaming charges apply each time you cross any country in Europe, but the charges have now been unified, more or less, after the European Parliament's intervention a few years ago. For instance, O2 (a Spanish-owned UK-based operator) charges me 35 pence per minute for each call I make and 18 pence for any call received while I'm roaming in another EU country. Text is 11 p to send and free to receive.

Someone who travels frequently (as I do) can have a bundled option (which costs 5 GBP per month) on top of my 45 GBP contract with O2, as a result of which I pay nothing for receiving calls and texting when roaming, and pay a minimum fee (8 pence) for making a call. All in all, the roaming costs in Europe have dropped significantly over the years.

All this applies to the EU of course. Once I go to Russia or even Croatia, the roaming prices are again exorbitant ...
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
Reply
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
Reply
post #87 of 129
I have no information about supply issues, but there does seem an unresolved wireless power approval issue, at least as reported for Israel.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #88 of 129
The delay is no problem for me in Australia. I see iPad as a desirable luxury which won't be fully functional (i.e. iBooks availability, most sites still using Flash, etc) for some time anyway. Also, alternatives are coming and more news will probably surface about those before the international iPad release.
The U.S. market knew the price the day Steve Jobs did the Key Note, but outside the U.S.A. we're still in the dark as to what we'll be paying.
A delay is one thing, but international pricing announcements are another. I'm probably going to buy an iPad but it's a bit rude that on the 15th of April Apple have not yet announced a price in Australia.
post #89 of 129
Gives me a little extra time to save up some more moola! (I'm planning on getting an iPad as well as a new MacPro)
post #90 of 129
fuck!
post #91 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Now I far less silly for having driven down to Walden Galleria in Buffalo from the Waterloo area the night before launch and picking my 64GB iPad up the morning they launched in the US. Smug? Yes, perhaps a bit. Happy with my iPad? Hell, yeah!

Must mention this to my wife at lunch and gloat just a bit more.

You must really enjoy sleeping on the couch!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #92 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Thanks for the heads up. After a week in Oakham, I had a hard time pronouncing Worcester, let alone spell it.

Trust me. Pronounce it "Wustah" and you'll fit in like a native.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #93 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

That's Natick.

Did you check out the flagship store on Boylton Street in Boston? Architecturally, it is an eyesore, but it is the biggest in the Boston area.

That's Boylston.
post #94 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Trust me. Pronounce it "Wustah" and you'll fit in like a native.

It all depends on which side of Wustah you were brought up in. Trust me.

Or whether you were brought up at all. Trust me.
post #95 of 129
A couple observations:

1. At least no one can accuse Apple of "stuffing" the channel.

2. iPads are like a tub of hot, freshly popped popcorn at the movies. You don't want a candy bar or cotton candy or a giant pretzel - nothing else will do. You'll just have to stand in line until the next batch is popped.

3. Some of those waiting in line for awhile are showing obvious signs of saturating their disposable diapers. Anyone willing to hold their places for them temporarily while they go change?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #96 of 129
Any canadian have declare an ipad to the customs? I want to know whats the duty on them, if any

any good made in US/Mexico can be imported without duty in Canada but if the iPad is like the iphone with a label "Designed by Apple in California, Assembled in China", I have no idea how the canadian customs will consider it.
post #97 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Brilliant move.
Declaring unprecedented demand . . . in order to help drive up demand.
Apple's goodies sell themselves, I know, but this is smart.

They only copied Nintendo (who followed what's in the book).
post #98 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

The worst bit is that when it does get released we know we will have to pay more for it too, late and more expensive the Apple international way!

We do the same thing to the Americans with our footballers!
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #99 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

No Poland, Finland etc in the 'Europe Map'. Americans ...

Usual roaming charges apply each time you cross any country in Europe, but the charges have now been unified, more or less, after the European Parliament's intervention a few years ago. For instance, O2 (a Spanish-owned UK-based operator) charges me 35 pence per minute for each call I make and 18 pence for any call received while I'm roaming in another EU country. Text is 11 p to send and free to receive.

Someone who travels frequently (as I do) can have a bundled option (which costs 5 GBP per month) on top of my 45 GBP contract with O2, as a result of which I pay nothing for receiving calls and texting when roaming, and pay a minimum fee (8 pence) for making a call. All in all, the roaming costs in Europe have dropped significantly over the years.

All this applies to the EU of course. Once I go to Russia or even Croatia, the roaming prices are again exorbitant ...

Yow. My mistake. I took the title of the link literally without reading the text. Missed Eastern Europe entirely.

My profound apologies to anyone I may have offended. And I profess to be a student of world affairs. Obviously a blind one at that. And an elder Canadian to boot. Eh.
post #100 of 129
How does this work? A week ago, the iPad was a failure because there were still units on the shelf after opening weekend. Obviously, a mere 450,000 within the first week was an embarrassingly, dismal performance. Now, at the start of the second full week, stores are selling out and Apple can't keep up with demand. Clearly, Apple knew it would be a huge success and made a limited run of a half a million when they knew full well they needed three times that number. Apple is manipulating the stock.

WHAT?

By the way, when did a half a million of anything become a limited run? I really need to hear from some haters on this one. Please explain how moving a half million items that have no mass appeal in just over a week can be considered artificially constraining supply. Oh, and how is this a failure? One more thing: will you consider the HP Slate a failure if it does not do this well? Just curious.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #101 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

How does this work? A week ago, the iPad was a failure because there were still units on the shelf after opening weekend. Obviously, a mere 450,000 within the first week was an embarrassingly, dismal performance. Now, at the start of the second full week, stores are selling out and Apple can't keep up with demand. Clearly, Apple knew it would be a huge success and made a limited run of a half a million when they knew full well they needed three times that number. Apple is manipulating the stock.

WHAT?

By the way, when did a half a million of anything become a limited run? I really need to hear from some haters on this one. Please explain how moving a half million items that have no mass appeal in just over a week can be considered artificially constraining supply. Oh, and how is this a failure? One more thing: will you consider the HP Slate a failure if it does not do this well? Just curious.

When it's Apple, not enough, Apple is doomed.

CGC
post #102 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

Is U.S. 3G iPad going to be different from the European models? If not, I would consider buying one when in NY in 2 weeks ...

It is likely Apple will have legal problems in Europe if they place hardware limitations to restrict the contract to one operator (as has happened with the iPhone, which is currently being sold by all operators in the UK and elsewhere in Europe).

More operators = obviously a lower plan cost and the benefit to consumers.

As far as I know, many Americans who travel a lot like the iPhone because they can use their iPhone abroad, e.g., Canada, in many countries in Europe, Asia, etc. I assume, it would work the other way around. I have not tried it myself, so second hand information. A friend of mine does it (Philippines/Canada/US).

However, there are a number of additional radio frequencies released in the US that have been released purposely for use by mobile devices. Google, Verizon bought a lot of them.

I read somewhere also that the iPad released in the US is optimized to a certain bandwidth frequency for the WiFi.

In another story, one Israeli noted that his iPads were confiscated when he reached the custom in Israel. There are radio frequencies in the US iPad that is not allowed in Israel..

I am not sure therefore if the iPad is also optimized for each country or region (e.g., EU countries) -- and whether this optimization is through the hardware or software. If I am not mistaken, while the electricity standard in the US and Europe may be the same, if I read correctly, there is a slight difference in the "cycling" or something. I am not sure whether this very slight variation has any effect when charging devices like the iPhone.

To be safe: You may want to do internet search if the frequencies used in the US are the same. I doubt if all the Genius bar staff may know this much detail.

CGC.
post #103 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It all depends on which side of Wustah you were brought up in. Trust me.

Or whether you were brought up at all. Trust me.

Geez. I leave the Boston area for a few years and Wustah gets all gentrified?

What's next? The Red Sox win a World Series?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #104 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

As far as I know, many Americans who travel a lot like the iPhone because they can use their iPhone abroad, e.g., Canada, in many countries in Europe, Asia, etc. I assume, it would work the other way around. I have not tried it myself, so second hand information. A friend of mine does it (Philippines/Canada/US).

However, there are a number of additional radio frequencies released in the US that have been released purposely for use by mobile devices. Google, Verizon bought a lot of them.

I read somewhere also that the iPad released in the US is optimized to a certain bandwidth frequency for the WiFi.

In another story, one Israeli noted that his iPads were confiscated when he reached the custom in Israel. There are radio frequencies in the US iPad that is not allowed in Israel..

I am not sure therefore if the iPad is also optimized for each country or region (e.g., EU countries) -- and whether this optimization is through the hardware or software. If I am not mistaken, while the electricity standard in the US and Europe may be the same, if I read correctly, there is a slight difference in the "cycling" or something. I am not sure whether this very slight variation has any effect when charging devices like the iPhone.

To be safe: You may want to do internet search if the frequencies used in the US are the same. I doubt if all the Genius bar staff may know this much detail.

CGC.

I heard from a friend in Russia that 3G mobile bands were used by the military, so they were quicker to adopt Wimax and other technologies there. It may be the case in Israel too.

Otherwise, in the European Union, '3G' basically denotes UMTS. I have no idea whether the American '3G' is in fact UMTS or a similar (CDMA2000) or another standard.
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
Reply
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
Reply
post #105 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

C'mon, Steve, split the stock.

Thanks!

Why, what is the point?
post #106 of 129
This thread is suffering from a severe lack of quality trolling. Where are they now? I want to hear how they explain this news away.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #107 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

I heard from a friend in Russia that 3G mobile bands were used by the military, so they were quicker to adopt Wimax and other technologies there. It may be the case in Israel too.

Otherwise, in the European Union, '3G' basically denotes UMTS. I have no idea whether the American '3G' is in fact UMTS or a similar (CDMA2000) or another standard.

1) Isreal's issue with the iPad is in regards to WiFi, not 3G which isn't even shipping yet. Specifically it's the broadcast power levels of the WiFi. Here is the original article explaining the ban.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1162992.html 2) Since the iPhone is sold in Russia and Isreal the radios in the iPhone must work on their networks so I am not sure what 3G bands you are referring to. There are 14 UMTS-FDD bands, Apple (like most 3GSM vendors uses the 3 main ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands
http://www.apple.com/iphone/countries/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #108 of 129

I'm about to cry right now!

Damn!
I'm pissed!

It almost feel like I was run over by a flock of bulls!
There is nothing to believe in anymore!

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #109 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

There is nothing to believe in anymore!


I believe I'll have another beer!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #110 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I believe I'll have another beer!

That reminds me of comedian Jim Jeffries' reason why we drink. I can't seem to find a clip of that anymore.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #111 of 129
noooooo.....

anyone coming from the US to Hong Kong these days?? at this rate the iPad will never be available here...
post #112 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

This thread is suffering from a severe lack of quality trolling. Where are they now? I want to hear how they explain this news away.

please don't say that! it's like a breath of fresh air in here... wind the windows up before we drive past the sewage farm!
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #113 of 129
People, Apple is not "gouging" international customers. That is to say, they are not pricing Apple hardware to make extra profit overseas.

Take the Apple price. Add VAT, import duties or whatever else exist in your country. Add a reasonable cushion for currency fluctuation, so that in the case of devaluation of the dollar compared to thhe relevant foreign currency, Apple doesn't have to reprice (potentially costing the company a significant amount and annoying customers as well).

There you go. That's the price you pay. Not a dollar more.
post #114 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Thanks for the heads up. After a week in Oakham, I had a hard time pronouncing Worcester, let alone spell it.

Boston? Been there and a couple of dozen stores from London to Beijing to my wife's chagrin.

Make that three dozen. And more to soon come.

The problem with Boston is that you can't tell if someone's saying iPad or iPod.

"I gat me one a them new Apple gedjits, yeh know, the iPad?"
"Is it an iPad Touch or an iPad Classic?"
"No, I said iPaaad."
"That's what I said. I got a iPad Touch a couple yease ago."
"iPaad! Yeh moran!"

post #115 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Lets see. Out of 6 billion people in the world 325 million get to be first in line.

How do you figure that you (UK'rs) are any more displaced that the rest of us?

I guess getting iPads earlier is also an outcome of having a super oiled delivery channel from the place where it's being made. I mean if we get everything from a toothbrush to parts of the SFO bridge from China, an iPad is an easy thing to add to the shipment.
post #116 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

People, Apple is not "gouging" international customers. That is to say, they are not pricing Apple hardware to make extra profit overseas.

Take the Apple price. Add VAT, import duties or whatever else exist in your country. Add a reasonable cushion for currency fluctuation, so that in the case of devaluation of the dollar compared to thhe relevant foreign currency, Apple doesn't have to reprice (potentially costing the company a significant amount and annoying customers as well).

There you go. That's the price you pay. Not a dollar more.

Not sure sure about that.
Look at this blogpost :
http://moore207.com/blog/?p=452
post #117 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravchak View Post

Not sure sure about that.
Look at this blogpost :
http://moore207.com/blog/?p=452

The bloggers comment about these items being available cheaper on the black market tends to support Tonton's point.

Black marketeers tend to not pay attention to things like tariffs and taxes.
post #118 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That reminds me of comedian Jim Jeffries' reason why we drink. I can't seem to find a clip of that anymore.

Find it and I'll send you a complimentary frappe and hoagie to go with it.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #119 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Isreal's issue with the iPad is in regards to WiFi, not 3G which isn't even shipping yet. Specifically it's the broadcast power levels of the WiFi. Here is the original article explaining the ban.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1162992.html 2) Since the iPhone is sold in Russia and Isreal the radios in the iPhone must work on their networks so I am not sure what 3G bands you are referring to. There are 14 UMTS-FDD bands, Apple (like most 3GSM vendors uses the 3 main ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands
http://www.apple.com/iphone/countries/

I guess that explains it all:

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/30011.php

From what I hear, 'some' 3G bands are still closed in Russia, depending on a region.
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
Reply
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
Reply
post #120 of 129
I just heard that the 3G iPad has been delayed until the end of March, too. I hope that isn't true.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad shortage forces Apple to delay international launch until May
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad shortage forces Apple to delay international launch until May