or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple seeks to hire camera expert for iPad team

Apple seeks to hire camera expert for iPad team - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Comment was simply a joke. Something many here have trouble understanding.

As far as the iPad being a benefit to the education market. My wife is an AP with her doctorate in Curriculum and Instructional Leadership. Macbooks are oftened used in her school but she sees no value for the iPad in education because it simply does not have the ability to run the programs needed. Also they are switching over to Windows notebook because they are the only county not using MS office and it is creating a continued problem.

The fact is the Apps Store does not have the Apps to do the job in business.

Are you simply a contrarian, or are you this incredibly myopic? One of the colleges here in central Ohio has a standing order for an initial 500 iPads for curriculum use, and has a LIBRARY of iPhone/iPod Touch apps they have developed and deploy already. They are moving a bunch of that work into the iPad upgrade development now.

The App Store, apparently unbeknownest to you, has special roped off areas solely dedicated to enterprise level development for corporate uses. Each company has a special App Store that it uses for its own in-house developed custom applications. According to my sources these run into the tens of thousands - above the 150,000 or so in the general App Store for consumers. So again, the breeze you may be feeling is the rest of the world zipping past you on its way to make use of the technology. Feel free to just stand there, but don't be offended if the rest just simply ignore you.
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Apple concentrates on the sweet spot in the market: The consumer.

They have made that clear recently, and in the past.

These corporate, institutional and enterprise users are of much less interest to Apple.

William, that fact is you don't see the corporate development going on because it is not part of the consumer app store. Apple ropes off corporate App Stores for each company. There is an incredible amount of development going by companies producing specialized applications for their internal needs. My own Fortune 50 company has a lab and staff dedicated to serving Apple SDK dev work for all parts of our operations. It's quite the boiler room - everyone wants their app yesterday and the devs are paid handsomely.
post #43 of 69
Hm well local apple store sold out of 16 and 32g models, they are expecting more in this afternoon, so we'll see if I go grab one. If you haven't seen one yet or held it, which I'm guessing 99% of the trolls haven't it really is a well made product, it's solid quality, of course we have all already read that, unlike the joojoo that been getting killed in the blogs as "crappy plastic and poorly built".
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Apple concentrates on the sweet spot in the market: The consumer.

They have made that clear recently, and in the past.

These corporate, institutional and enterprise users are of much less interest to Apple.

Oh, look, the new iLuv alias. That didn't take long.
post #45 of 69
Quote:

I don't disagree with your comment about Apple and the consumer. Which is why Apple has never made any real gains in education or business. In spite of what a few fools wants to post here.

No inroads in education...EH?

None here either.

Troll B Pwned.

Masternav - you have great info - love to hear more - don't mind the trolls
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Hm well local apple store sold out of 16 and 32g models, they are expecting more in this afternoon, so we'll see if I go grab one. If you haven't seen one yet or held it, which I'm guessing 99% of the trolls haven't it really is a well made product, it's solid quality, of course we have all already read that, unlike the joojoo that been getting killed in the blogs as "crappy plastic and poorly built".

But it doesn't have the requisite number of knobs, buttons and slots. It is completely out of geek compliance.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #47 of 69
Quote:

You are 100% correct members on an enthusiast site never even come close to representing the average consumer.

Gald we can agree you aren't even coming close to the average consumer.

You seemed to have missed that I said 'your "real world"', which is apparently some sort of an alternate universe where the iPad can never be used in educational and medical settings and has generally been an enormous flop for Apple. (Maybe in your alternate universe they allowed Flash or Flash-to-iPhone apps? That might explain it.)

I think there are a lot of "average consumers" who are smart enough to figure this one out. It's pretty much a no brainer if you plan to take this on the road. What the "average consumer", which in your mind is, I guess, some sort of luddite fool, may or may not be aware of is that paying for the 3G service also gives you free access to AT&T WiFi hotspots. A good number of them, though, will probably be aware of this advantage, too.

To recap, 3G is very useful when traveling, a point that most consumers are aware of these days, and also gives you expanded WiFi access. In addition, the GPS would be very useful for car trips, and otherwise, especially as iPad versions of navigation apps get released (or, even for use with the iPhone nav apps), or even for simple maps use when WiFi location services aren't available.

EDIT: Well, we can argue this all day, but I think the sales numbers will, as usual, prove you wrong. Won't be long now.
post #48 of 69
Quote:

That isn't a real world example. Give me some stats on users that turn on and off their data plans. IF someone only needs to turn on their data a few times a year then clearly they will not feel the needs to buy an iPad with 3G because the need just isn't there.

Thats real world.

The example above is exactly how I plan to use the iPad.

While I'd like an iPhone, the only times I'd use the internet part is during the summer and the 1 or 2 times a year I travel for business.

If we get a no-contract 3G option here, I'll get a 3G iPad and use the 3G in July and August. Paying an extra $130 for the 3G is fine as our Wireless Providers charge $99 to $199 for a USB wireless stick if we don't go on contract.

Unfortunately, knowing how Rogers operates, they'll likely not offer the non-contract option. In that case, I'll stick with the Wi-Fi only version.
post #49 of 69
Quote:

I don't disagree with your comment about Apple and the consumer. Which is why Apple has never made any real gains in education or business. In spite of what a few fools wants to post here.

I'll have to agree with you for business. Apple never really caught on in a big way and they never really pursued it to any great means. However to say they never and I repeat your statement never had any gains in education is just flat wrong. They pretty much were the the default in education computing. Education was one of the main reason they stayed afloat during the lean years.

I remember a few years ago before the iEverything became popular people used to say "what computer is that?" and I'd tell them it was an Apple and they'd almost aways say "Oh yeah I remember using one of those back in 7th grade" or something along those lines.
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A bunch of new models are coming out, some of which are bound to be better than the existing product (though of course they still run Windows). I think we have to be honest and acknowledge that Windows is still the overwhelming default preference in the IT community. I've also been monitoring the temperature of the discussion over the iPad (as have a lot of us), and no surprise, the technorati hate, hate, hate the iPad almost with exception. So I think getting these computers into institutional settings is going to be extremely difficult, with the IT people fighting it tooth-and-nail, unless the case for them is overwhelming. Which, lacking an exclusive killer app, it isn't.

I can only speak for my experience as an IT person at a hospital. Just in the last few days I've demo'd a large number of our windows applications running on the citrix client for iPad. Our desktop support group isn't excited about supporting a new device. However, they see the value in it for our customers. The small footprint devices we currently use cost 3 times as much as an ipad and weigh twice as much. The doctors hate them.

The citrix client for iPad lets us run any windows application on the ipad. Citrix delivers the microsoft application through a client/server architecture with the actual execution of the application occurring on the citrix server.

I've personally used our EMR application from Epic Systems (Hyperspace) on the iPad using the citrix client and I found it to be extremely usable. We are delivering a large number of our critical windows applications via citrix. We configured these applications to run on my ipad in less than 5 minutes. It was awesome! We demoed the applications for our CTO and Enterprise Architect and they were wow'd.
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by veblen View Post

I can only speak for my experience as an IT person at a hospital. Just in the last few days I've demo'd a large number of our windows applications running on the citrix client for iPad. Our desktop support group isn't excited about supporting a new device. However, they see the value in it for our customers. The small footprint devices we currently use cost 3 times as much as an ipad and weigh twice as much. The doctors hate them.

The citrix client for iPad lets us run any windows application on the ipad. Citrix delivers the microsoft application through a client/server architecture with the actual execution of the application occurring on the citrix server.

I've personally used our EMR application from Epic Systems (Hyperspace) and found it extremely usable. We are delivering a large number of our critical windows applications via citrix. We configured these applications to run on my ipad in less than 5 minutes. It was awesome! We demoed the applications for our CTO and Enterprise Architect and they were wow'd.

Sounds promising. Maybe citrix is the iKevorkian... uh, killer app, for the iPad.

Still, wouldn't a native iPad app that could integrate with the hospital's back end system be even better and more persuasive?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Why aren't they using Office for Mac?

Quote:

Because like all State governments they want to spend as little money as possible. Not only is the hardware more expensive for the school but they can get deals from MS on site licensing.

Okay but that still doesn't explain why aren't they using Office for Mac...
They already have the MacBooks (zero additional cost) and they can still get a site license from MS (no additional cost over what it would be for Office for Windows).
post #53 of 69
Quote:

Sounds promising. Maybe citrix is the iKevorkian... uh, killer app, for the iPad.

Still, wouldn't a native iPad app that could integrate with the hospital's back end system be even better and more persuasive?

Native apps may be better. But those applications would have to be rewritten. The citrix client integrates with the back end systems now. The application behavior is exactly like if you were at a pc, you just interact with them by touching them. Citrix has done an amazing job. There is no cursor and pinch to zoom works. Your native pc applications just work. The citrix server infrastructure is expensive, but many hospitals already have a citrix infrastructure.

Out of the box if you are delivering applications via citrix you have a killer reason to deploy them on ipads right now. They are less expensive, offer superior battery life and in many cases a more intuitive user interface when running applications using the citrix client. Any microsoft application can be deployed to a thin client iPad today.

Incidently our EMR vendor epic systems already has an iPhone client. They are developing an iPad app as well. That being said I can do anything I need to do using the citrix client. It's the same interface I use on my desktop with the same content.
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

EDIT: Well, we can argue this all day, but I think the sales numbers will, as usual, prove you wrong. Won't be long now.

Do you remember when he wanted to bet the forum that Apple's stock would drop from $200 to $170 before it went up to $270? It seems odd to make a bet that x drop would happen before x*2.3. Anyway, the stock has gone up $50 since then so if it were a fair bet he would have lost a long time ago.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #55 of 69
Quote:

Native apps may be better. But those applications would have to be rewritten. The citrix client integrates with the back end systems now. The application behavior is exactly like if you were at a pc, you just interact with them by touching them. Citrix has done an amazing job. There is no cursor and pinch to zoom works. Your native pc applications just work. The citrix server infrastructure is expensive, but many hospitals already have a citrix infrastructure.

Out of the box if you are delivering applications via citrix you have a killer reason to deploy them on ipads right now. They are less expensive, offer superior battery life and in many cases a more intuitive user interface when running applications using the citrix client. Any microsoft application can be deployed to a thin client iPad today.

Incidently our EMR vendor epic systems already has an iPhone client. They are developing an iPad app as well. That being said I can do anything I need to do using the citrix client. It's the same interface I use on my desktop with the same content.

+2 for useful content. Thanks!
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #56 of 69
Quote:

+2 for useful content. Thanks!

No problem. OS 4's multitasking, filesystem encryption, ssl VPN support and the ability to host and distribute applications locally at an organization pushing software and configuration information from a central location will only make this device more viable.

I was told not to show my iPad running our hospital apps to doctors after I demoed them to our management. The CTO is putting in an order for 10 so we can work out any wireless networking kinks before we demo them to our physician champions. This device is the very definition of a disruptive technology.

I hope you have citrix delivered apps so you can try it out.
post #57 of 69
Quote:

No problem. OS 4's multitasking, filesystem encryption, ssl VPN support and the ability to host and distribute applications locally at an organization pushing software and configuration information from a central location will only make this device more viable.

I was told not to show my iPad running our hospital apps to doctors after I demoed them to our management. The CTO is putting in an order for 10 so we can work out any wireless networking kinks before we demo them to our physician champions. This device is the very definition of a disruptive technology.

Are they using the iPhone Configuration Utility to lock it down and manage them?
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10352993-233.html
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I do not think anybody has considered the demand from educational market - worldwide. In my line of work, when I went to university, I had to carry 10 lbs of books, starting with Gross Anatomy Text, Atlas, Histology Text + Atlas, etc, notes. Same in undergrad but not as heavy. HS also requires a lot of books.

The Kindle is good, but it does not have color text. Limited ability to download class notes, assignments, schedules. Access to the net gives instant reference sources.

Besides education, hospitals, and industry all could use the device. Instant access to EKGs, X-rays, lab results and even real time telemetry, medical records, etc. Health care is 17% of GDP... or at least, it was.

OTOH, it is far more likely you'd be mugged by a fellow student for your iPad versus a pile of textbooks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #59 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Now, about the camera thing. If Apple really designed this thing to have "no orientation", then the only logical place to put the camera is in the middle of the screen. Putting it on the sides means you'd have to hold it up in a specific way (likely landscape since top and bottom are already taken).

I know at some point Apple will be able to economically produce the "2-way" camera/display they have a patent on. I don't have a source link, but I remember the patent describing a large camera and display which basically share pixel space, so a display would be made of thousands of tiny camera sensors which would be "stitched" together in software.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #60 of 69
Quote:

Not me. I work at home.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are they using the iPhone Configuration Utility to lock it down and manage them?
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10352993-233.html

That's the plan. We only have a few iPhones in the organization right now. The IT executives and our network guys got them to test them out a few months ago. We've been on blackberries for a few years now and the doctors have been clamoring for iphones.

After we got some of our apps running using the citrix client I showed our desktop support team the features of the config utility and the features I'd read about coming in os 4.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/preview-iphone-os/

I wish anyone doubting the device could have seen the looks on the Windows support guys faces when they were interacting with our windows apps on the iPad. The consensus was that they wished apple didn't make this, but it looks like we'll be supporting ipads now.

The CTO was giddy using the iPad and he was against deploying the iPhone.
post #62 of 69
Quote:

Not me. I work at home.

And Dr. Millmoss may, or may not be a real doctor.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No worries if he isn't. I'm really surprised we aren't hearing more about the citrix client for iPad being huge for big business. It's possible that a lot of organizations are like mine and are just realizing how much this device can change computing in a mobile environment like a hospital. Before I showed them our apps running on it they were looking at it like a toy. "Sure, show us your iPad", when I showed them our apps running on it their whole demeanor changed. Especially when they interacted with them with their fingers, pinching and zooming on images within windows apps.
post #64 of 69
http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/pr...ef=hp_promo_C1

This demo off of citrix's site is similar to how we were interacting with our real world windows applications off of the ipad. It knocked the socks off of everyone. This is the killer app for business. Even if the HP Slate can run the client I doubt the interaction will be as impressive as on an ipad because the touch screen is inferior. Additionally the ipad has well over twice the battery life of the Slate and in mobile computing battery life matters.
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Apple has a camera in the iPhone. What expert did Apple use for that but couldn't use for the iPad? Did Apple fire him?

We may never know. Apple may just want the fresh perspective that someone new could bring to the table, maybe to give them an idea they didn't have.

In regards to the other question (that I think was actually mentioned by another poster) about the camera spoiling the "free wheeling" nature of iPad orientations, that might not be a problem. Hardware and software that can perform real-time image adjustments (including the orientation of a camera's output) are easy to come by and not all that expensive.
post #66 of 69
Does anyone know if Apple will release the iPad 2.0 in a year or is this a hint that they are looking to make new models since they are running extremely low on stock?
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And you may be neither spam nor a sandwich, but from here it's hard to tell.

Through the magic of the internet:

Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #68 of 69
Quote:

And you may be neither spam nor a sandwich, but from here it's hard to tell.

Through the magic of the internet:

image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GTvTUANkAJ...r_millmoss.jpg

As I recall, you said this pic wasn't too far off...

post #69 of 69
Oddly enough, it isn't. Not sure where that one came up before, but I kind of wish it hadn't.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple seeks to hire camera expert for iPad team