or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Web use of Apple iPad already rivals Android, BlackBerry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Web use of Apple iPad already rivals Android, BlackBerry - Page 2

post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

They are both mobile devices. In that categorization, they are similar enough.

If you want to restrict the iPad to narrower categories, it could form a category of its own in which it would have 100% of the market.

But that yields less information.

I don't think that iPad and (any) mobile phone are in the same category.

People are buying BBs as communication devices. Web browsing is nowhere near the top of BB application list.

We had BB Pearl for 2 years as company phones. I personally never-ever used it for web, but it did great job for emailing, txting... most BBs (all except Storm, I believe) have smaller screens than iPhone, and for me iPhone screen is absolute minimum for reasonably comfortable web browsing. Anything smaller is pure torture.

On the other side, iPad has screen resolution that was pretty standard for laptops few years ago. It is not pocketable. It is not phone at all. How can those devices be comparable? It is even worst than comparing PC gaming on netbooks and high-end desktops, even if both are Windows PC computers. \
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I don't think that iPad and (any) mobile phone are in the same category.

People are buying BBs as communication devices. Web browsing is nowhere near the top of BB application list.

We had BB Pearl for 2 years as company phones. I personally never-ever used it for web, but it did great job for emailing, txting... most BBs (all except Storm, I believe) have smaller screens than iPhone, and for me iPhone screen is absolute minimum for reasonably comfortable web browsing. Anything smaller is pure torture.

On the other side, iPad has screen resolution that was pretty standard for laptops few years ago. It is not pocketable. It is not phone at all. How can those devices be comparable? It is even worst than comparing PC gaming on netbooks and high-end desktops, even if both are Windows PC computers. \

Our company has used BB devices every since I can remember the first one to come out and I have used many versions of it. I was a huge fan of BB even when the iPhone came out I still happily used the BB because I liked the tactile keyboard. The BB does do email very well, not the best but very well and sucks at web browsing very much.

I finally gave up my company paid BB device and opted for an iPhone (out of my pocket) since I struggled with the BB not handling attachments very well and having a lousy web browser. I got tired of my emails being converted into text when I replied and not being able to see images attached to emails with the BB. I get a lot of emails on a daily basis and need to be able to read error messages sent to me by users with problems. I used to have to wait to get back at the desk before I was able to see these error messages.

Now I can say I am very happily able to read/reply to messages without having it converted into text every time and having the ability to open up a web page to look something up.

I find myself having more patience when waiting in lines because I can now distract my mind until it's my turn.

I think the Blackberry has it's place and a lot of companies still use them. Our company has changed policies and is welcoming anyone with iPhones and giving out instructions on how to setup their company email on them. The only covet to that, is you have to pay for it yourself. Which is ok with me since now I can do unlimited text messaging without hearing from mgmt about my limits.
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

So, I created short iWorks files on my MBP, and the Keynote file was again mangled in terms of formatting. The Pages file went generally fine, although there were some changes to the formatting.

That's because the fonts were not in Helvetica or a select other few fonts that are installed on iPhone OS. Unfortunately, Apple didn't look over this aspect... and I suspect the fix won't come until at least iPhone 4.0, but for what it does, it's pretty good already. How many tablets can claim to be multi-touch and run any sort of productivity suite? None... until now.

So I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws, because it does. But give it a year if you want for the bugs to be ironed out, and then buy Meanwhile the early adopters like me will enjoy it and the bug fixes when they come later
post #44 of 54
Incidentally, for iPad fans there is now another Jason Calacanis show, called "This Week In iPad". Could be fun. As of this moment, the show is live (4:46 PM, PST)

Which brings up a valid question from my POV... AppleInsider, why haven't you guys started a live broadcast like This Week In Tech? As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that either Leo Laporte or Jason Calacanis would loooooooove to get you guys to do a live netshow on either of their networks!

Anyone else think it would be a great thing?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

That's because the fonts were not in Helvetica or a select other few fonts that are installed on iPhone OS. Unfortunately, Apple didn't look over this aspect... and I suspect the fix won't come until at least iPhone 4.0, but for what it does, it's pretty good already. How many tablets can claim to be multi-touch and run any sort of productivity suite? None... until now.

So I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws, because it does. But give it a year if you want for the bugs to be ironed out, and then buy Meanwhile the early adopters like me will enjoy it and the bug fixes when they come later

I agree with you. I do not think it will take them a year to iron out the bugs in iWork for iPad. There are too many complaints about this on the app review pages. It just strikes me as kind of odd that Apple did not catch this before it shipped.

When they fix it, I will be in line with my money. However, as it currently stands, I just can't justify the purchase to myself.
post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also coming in with a 0.04 percent share ... was Windows ME...

I know it's off topic but...

who the hell is still using Windows ME?!?

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

 

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

Reply

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

 

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

Reply
post #47 of 54
Just thought of something relating to fonts and to printing on the iPad...

I know that Apple licenses from Adobe the rights to reproduce fonts on their OS, and I think there must be some kind of rasterization license for printing, so is this something that would need to be ironed out on the iPad as well?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

I think you're the exception. Most of the people that I know use them to sit on the sofa and surf.

Why not take a poll of what everyone uses it for?

I wasn't the one making sweeping generalizations though. As someone else said, who cares? Just sell those suckers
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

I know it's off topic but...

who the hell is still using Windows ME?!?

I bet it's 0.04 percent of users!

Just kidding, couldn't resist
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

Thanks for the tip -- I'm trying AB now, so far, i'm liking it very very much.

I can't tell, is their an iPad version of this browser? guess, i'll find out when I get home.

I am finding most sites treat iPad as a real browser so far although a few don't. There is no excuse as the client info is different so they shouldn't redirect iPads IMHO.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just thought of something relating to fonts and to printing on the iPad...

I know that Apple licenses from Adobe the rights to reproduce fonts on their OS, and I think there must be some kind of rasterization license for printing, so is this something that would need to be ironed out on the iPad as well?

Ouch ... if Apple need to license the iPhone OS separately that's not good news if they didn't already do it, given the Adobe Apple wars going on! Anyone know of they did or didn't?

It seems to me that would have been sorted a while back even if not yet implemented. Apple knew iPad was coming even if we didn't and I'd assume planned to block Flash way back when. That would have been a good time to do a deal, before they showed their hand to Adobe, if they didn't already have it covered.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I'll be getting a 3G as well, but I was really looking hoping for a front-facing camera. If I had that I could videochat with the kids while on travel and it would replace 99% of my personal laptop travel needs. (My company doesn't let us do any personal stuff on the company laptop, including personal email, Facebook, etc., which in a pre-iPad world meant two laptops on every trip.)

Not to worry. I imagine Belkin or Logitech is working hard on a webcam that snaps into the dock connector port on the iPad as we speak. It'll come for sure.
post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ouch ... if Apple need to license the iPhone OS separately that's not good news if they didn't already do it, given the Adobe Apple wars going on! Anyone know of they did or didn't?

It seems to me that would have been sorted a while back even if not yet implemented. Apple knew iPad was coming even if we didn't and I'd assume planned to block Flash way back when. That would have been a good time to do a deal, before they showed their hand to Adobe, if they didn't already have it covered.

i'm not sure that's even been an issue for years. iirc apple developed the truetype font format precisely to avoid adobe's (back then fairly high) licensing fees, and then in turn licensed truetype to microsoft. remember that adobe didn't design helvetica, they license most of their fonts themselves, from foundries like linotype, monotype and others.
post #54 of 54
I am not sure this is much of a complement... as a Kindle owner, I have to say... so what? Nobody surfs the web with their Kindle... unless it is the only device available.... and don't forget... it allows you to surf the web over 3G for free... no one else does that.

Everyone knows that the browser sucks, even though the 3G is fast... so I only used it when I had to. I switched to the iphone about 6 months ago and it of course does web wonderfully.

You should probably find another more pertinent target...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Web use of Apple iPad already rivals Android, BlackBerry