or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › How Can One Possibly Support Obama's Economic Policies?

How Can One Possibly Support Obama's Economic Policies? - Page 8

post #281 of 753
Still are I see.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #282 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Still are I see.

Oh. I thought that was a question. I see now that it was a statement, but your incorrect use of punctuation confused me.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #283 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

And more "good" news:

Think a "double-dip" recession isn't likely? Too late. It may already be upon us:

Economist Shiller Sees Potential for 'Double Dip' Recession

Quote:
Mr. Shiller now suspects that when the National Bureau of Economic Research eventually looks back at the data, the third quarter of 2010 might mark the beginning of the second dip of the recession.

Next... the White House will blame this "unexpected" result on the Bush administration. "The problems we inherited have proven to be much more complex than expected, and will require an aggressive response," Robert Gibbs will say.

"The recovery plan I enacted last year resulted in saving millions of jobs that would otherwise have placed an intolerable burden on society," said Obama. "This success clearly points to the need for renewed action."

Our elected Representatives will then propose more of the same: More spending of wealth that has not been created, more burdensome taxes on the amorphous "rich" (which invariably means you and I), more intrusive and poisonous regulation of anything that could possibly help ameliorate the wreckage, more waste of your tax revenue on elusive "clean energy" concepts that seek to void the rules of thermodynamics, and more of the toxic economic environment that has resulted in a degree of widespread abject misery not seen since 1937.

Count on it.
A is A
A is A
post #284 of 753
Economy LOST 283,000 jobs and unemployment grew to 9.6% during "Recovery Summer"

But at least we have Hope™ and Change™!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #285 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Economy LOST 283,000 jobs and unemployment grew to 9.6% during "Recovery Summer"

Nope, sorry jazzguru, again you've been misled. Thanks to Obama's 2009 "stimulus plan" unemployment peaked at 8% and is now down to 7.5%: http://www.economy.com/mark-zandi/do...tment_Plan.pdf

Check page 4: if our beloved Representatives hadn't passed this legislation, hadn't spent 816 thousand million dollars that we don't have, unemployment would have risen to a shocking 9%! Thank God for our anointed President, his Congressional accomplices, and honorable mention to our sycophantic news media!

How's your state doing: http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/doc...nal_State1.pdf
A is A
A is A
post #286 of 753

post #287 of 753
Thanks for the correction, john galt. I've seen the light.

According to TIME magazine, rising unemployment is a good thing.

The only thing I can't figure out is why Obama wants to give Bush all the credit and praise for the rising unemployment.

post #288 of 753
Quote:

Thanks for the correction, john galt. I've seen the light.

The only thing I can't figure out is why Obama wants to give Bush all the credit and praise for the rising unemployment.

Well it depends on how you want to read the tea leaves. While there's no doubt that Time and CNN were whoring for Obama the minute after the latest employment news hit the streets, there is some (though sometimes spurious) logic in claiming that the unemployment rate going up indicates that people who previously stopped looking for work are now back at it. It also has the unmentioned effect of exposing the official unemployment statistic for the misleading lie that it is (it's not really counting all of the people who are unemployed.)

post #289 of 753

Astonishing, considering the source.

In other news, an iPod is slightly better than a Zune
A is A
A is A
post #290 of 753
Quote:

Yes. It makes the US more like Europe. What could be bad with that?
A is A
A is A
post #291 of 753
Quote:

... the unemployment rate going up indicates that people who previously stopped looking for work are now back at it.

Can this be enumerated? I mean, if you're drawing an unemployment check, that's easily quantified, but how do you count the people who've been out of work for years, long after their last checks were cashed? What number does one call to report "yes, I'm still unemployed, thanks for asking"?
A is A
A is A
post #292 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Can this be enumerated? I mean, if you're drawing an unemployment check, that's easily quantified, but how do you count the people who've been out of work for years, long after their last checks were cashed? What number does one call to report "yes, I'm still unemployed, thanks for asking"?

Probably not. I was just giving the typical rationale behind the "unemployment going up is good news" (other than the obvious..."Oh shit! More bad news for Obama! We need to spin this in some way to convince everyone that a shitty economy is a good one and that Obama saved us from another Great Depression.")

post #293 of 753
Here's a fun little website:

http://www.mygovcost.org

post #294 of 753
Obama Added More to National Debt in First 19 Months Than All Presidents from Washington Through Reagan Combined, Says Gov’t Data

Quote:
At the end of fiscal year 1989, which ended eight months after President Reagan left office, the total federal debt held by the public was $2.1907 trillion, according to the Congressional Budget Office. That means all U.S. presidents from George Washington through Ronald Reagan had accumulated only that much publicly held debt on behalf of American taxpayers. That is $335.3 billion less than the $2.5260 trillion that was added to the federal debt held by the public just between Jan. 20, 2009, when President Obama was inaugurated, and Aug. 20, 2010, the 19-month anniversary of Obama's inauguration.

post #295 of 753

Dammit, I was almost finished with my calculations and an appropriately brilliant summary of this very subject.

Obama, little Timmy Geitner, and the rest of his economic advisers have thus far demonstrated less knowledge about economics than a Wal-Mart cashier.

(Not surprising - they're probably not qualified for the job.)
A is A
A is A
post #296 of 753
Note that the comparison only included Washington through Reagan.

Ever since Bush 41 declared his undying love for a "New World Order", things have gone downhill.

post #297 of 753
Quote:

Note that the comparison only included Washington through Reagan.

Correct. It compares only two hundred years of history to the past 19 months.
A is A
A is A
post #298 of 753
I hesitate to post in this thread again because the title specifically mentions BHO... whereas I think the problem lies with ALL politicians of late (last several decades) of BOTH parties... None of them seem to have read from the folks who actually FOUNDED this republic.
Here's just three quick quotes from three of the people that actually WROTE the constitution... a bit of insight into their motives and opinions... They would NOT approve of where our government is now, though they DID foresee it.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money,
that will herald the end of the republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

"Our democracy will cease to exist
when you take away from those who are willing to work
and give to those who would not."

- Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government
-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

- Patrick Henry

ah... found the fourth one I was looking for (didn't want to post it till I was sure of the quote/author.)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent
the government from wasting the labors of the people
under the pretense of taking care of them."

- Thomas Jefferson
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #299 of 753
"We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry, and grasping at the spoil of the multitude. Invention is continually exercised to furnish new pretenses for revenue and taxation. It watches prosperity as its prey and permits none to escape without a tribute."

-- Thomas Paine

"...the opinion which gives to the judges the right to decide what laws are constitutional and what not, not only for themselves in their own sphere of action but for the Legislature and Executive also in their spheres, would make the Judiciary a despotic branch."

-- Thomas Jefferson

"...[T]he government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government."

--James Madison

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread."

-- Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, 1821

post #300 of 753
This seems as good a place as any...

Homebuyer tax credit: 950,000 must repay:

Quote:
According to a report from the Inspector General for Tax Administration, released to the public Thursday, about 950,000 of the nearly 1.8 million Americans who claimed the tax credit on their 2009 tax returns will have to return the money.

The confusion comes because homebuyers were eligible for two different credits, depending on when their homes were purchased.

Those who bought properties during 2008 were to deduct, dollar for dollar, up to 10% of the home's purchase price or $7,500, whichever was less. The catch: The money was a no-interest loan that had to be repaid within 15 years.

post #301 of 753
Quote:

This seems as good a place as any...

Homebuyer tax credit: 950,000 must repay:

I can't wait for them to start running healthcare.

post #302 of 753
Wow, this is from HuffPo:

Tax Subsidies for Wealthy Foreign Corporations? How Congress Has Already Broken its Most Important Promise

Can't wait to hear the Obamaton spin on this one.

post #303 of 753
Article written by a Democrat chastising the Democrats. I agree completely. Voting Republicans in isn't going to make the situation any better, though. Sorry, did I ruin your AHAH GOTCHA moment?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #304 of 753
Quote:

Article written by a Democrat chastising the Democrats. I agree completely. Voting Republicans in isn't going to make the situation any better, though. Sorry, did I ruin your AHAH GOTCHA moment?

Not at all. And I agree that voting Republicans in isn't going to make the situation any better.

So we are in agreement: Obama and the Democrats are bad for this country. The Republicans are bad for this country.

What are we going to do about it?

post #305 of 753
Wow, way to turn down the wrong path. I don't think Obama and the Democrats are bad for this country. I think the Democrats are doing much more good than bad. They aren't flawless. They certainly have things they need to live up to that they haven't yet. They are infinitely better than the alternative.

No, you don't get your AHAH GOTCHA moment.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #306 of 753
Quote:

Wow, way to turn down the wrong path. I don't think Obama and the Democrats are bad for this country. I think the Democrats are doing much more good than bad. They aren't flawless. They certainly have things they need to live up to that they haven't yet. They are infinitely better than the alternative.

No, you don't get your AHAH GOTCHA moment.

Obama and the Democrats are keeping in place or expanding upon just about every failed/wrong Bush/Republican policy.

Yet somehow they are doing more good than bad. Fascinating stuff.

post #307 of 753
Quote:

I don't think Obama and the Democrats are bad for this country...

You're in for a big surprise come November mid-term elections...
post #308 of 753
It would be hilarious if it weren't so tragically true:

Obama Says Voters May Blame Him For Economy

("may?" )

Quote:
"Because I am president, and the Democrats have control of the House and Senate, it's understandable that people are saying, 'What have you done?"'

As in WHAT... HAVE... YOU... DONE

Yet it's those eevil obstructionist Rs who are blocking O at every turn:

Quote:
...And he blamed Republicans for holding back future progress by uniformly opposing other proposals on the table.

Exactly as promised by Rs right after the "big f*cking deal":

Quote:
"In my opinion, the institution of the Congress has been fundamentally harmed," said Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), pointing to the process Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) used to craft the final health bill.

Obamacare passed Congress without one Republican vote. Every single R (and dozens of Ds) opposed it. Every one. Zero R support. There was nothing Republicans could have done to stop his agenda.

Yet, for the sake of the Presidency, Obamacare is here to stay.

Tell me: Since March 22, what miraculous power has been bestowed upon those evil obstructionists to stand in the way of whatever else O wants?
A is A
A is A
post #309 of 753
Come on now, john galt. Give the man some credit. I bet his golf game has improved immensely with all the time and attention he's devoted to it.

And he's single-handedly stimulating the golf economy with our tax dollars, keeping a large number of people employed.

post #310 of 753
Successful Economic Policies? For Whom?

Ron Paul needs to run as an Independent in 2012. I think he'd win.

post #311 of 753
Quote:

Successful Economic Policies? For Whom?

Quote:
The road back to fiscal sanity and a strong economy is simple: Congress just needs to get back to following the Constitution.

The Constitution? Aww. How quaint.

Ron Paul has all kinds of radical ideas. He opposes illegal wars. He's against government torture. He supports free trade. He's against centralized medical care, a public monetary system monopolized by a private cartel, and "bailouts" both home and abroad.

It's no wonder he's so quickly dismissed as a nutcase.
A is A
A is A
post #312 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

The Constitution? Aww. How quaint.

Ron Paul has all kinds of radical ideas. He opposes illegal wars. He's against government torture. He supports free trade. He's against centralized medical care, a public monetary system monopolized by a private cartel, and "bailouts" both home and abroad.

It's no wonder he's so quickly dismissed as a nutcase.

All that is fine and dandy (though in my opinion, as a first world nation, we DEFINITELY deserve cheaper medical care as EVERY OTHER FIRST-WORLD NATION ALREADY HAS, and "free market" won't EVER make that happen).

He also wants to get rid of every single safety net for the poor or unlucky, cut almost all sources of national revenue, which means we'll have to cut pretty much everything regarding national management, law enforcement, research, defense and maintenance and development of infrastructure. He wants to cancel all of the regulations that are supposed to protect us from things like mining disasters, oil spills and corporate mismanagement that affects the national economy.

Yes, I would say nutcase considering the above. For a non-nutcase that wants financial responsibility AS WELL as government protection of her people, look at Dennis Kucinich.
post #313 of 753
Isn't Ron Paul the guy who also wants to get rid of the Department of Education in America?

I think he's also the guy who expects corporations to take over the duties of enforcing environmental protections.

I'm pretty sure he's the guy who'd like it if the United States was more like Nigeria than Denmark.

I've been to both, and Denmark's much, much better.

He is a nutcase, by the way. Total nutter.
post #314 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

All that is fine and dandy (though in my opinion, as a first world nation, we DEFINITELY deserve cheaper medical care as EVERY OTHER FIRST-WORLD NATION ALREADY HAS, and "free market" won't EVER make that happen).

The free market has worked for elective and cosmetic surgery. Of course those are the areas where government price distortions haven't taken complete hold.

Quote:
He also wants to get rid of every single safety net for the poor or unlucky, cut almost all sources of national revenue, which means we'll have to cut pretty much everything regarding national management, law enforcement, research, defense and maintenance and development of infrastructure. He wants to cancel all of the regulations that are supposed to protect us from things like mining disasters, oil spills and corporate mismanagement that affects the national economy.

Perhaps he has the communist view of such things which appears to be, when everyone is poor, no one need a safety net.
Quote:
Yes, I would say nutcase considering the above. For a non-nutcase that wants financial responsibility AS WELL as government protection of her people, look at Dennis Kucinich.

I'd probably just look over Kucinich. There isn't much to see there and you should start reading about the sovereign debt crisis if you want to see how well all these programs are doing around the world. Everyone and everything can look good until the credit runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Isn't Ron Paul the guy who also wants to get rid of the Department of Education in America?

I think he's also the guy who expects corporations to take over the duties of enforcing environmental protections.

I'm pretty sure he's the guy who'd like it if the United States was more like Nigeria than Denmark.

I've been to both, and Denmark's much, much better.

He is a nutcase, by the way. Total nutter.

You know you seem to constantly be comparing a Africa to several Northern European nations. You appear to have this desire to constantly berate nations that are majority black. Why are you so racist?

Also as for Africa, they've received and continue to request government assistance and monies of all manner from the U.S. and Europe. They aren't laisse faire. They are more like communist with really bad forms of enforcing and dispersing the spoils from the government offices.

Over a trillion dollars in aid has been given to Africa. Just like every other war on poverty, including the one in the United States, and those throughout Europe, the poor never go away. They only become entrenched, helpless and the results become worse than if nothing had been done.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #315 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The free market has worked for elective and cosmetic surgery. Of course those are the areas where government price distortions haven't taken complete hold.

Emergency and preventative treatment are not luxuries, like cosmetic surgery, and your comparison is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You know you seem to constantly be comparing a Africa to several Northern European nations. You appear to have this desire to constantly berate nations that are majority black. Why are you so racist?

You seem to be making the assumption that Nigerian society has taken the form it has because Nigerians are black.

I can thank of a million other reasons.

And you have the nerve to call me racist?

You were banned from applenova for a racist joke. You really should be quiet on matters of race. It gets you into trouble.
post #316 of 753
Quote:

Emergency and preventative treatment are not luxuries, like cosmetic surgery, and your comparison is absurd.

Yes because expecting luxuries to be price conscious and the cost of government care to keep risig above all inflation and all other measures is the rational position.

I'm not sure who's laughing but that is quite a joke you are making there with your position.

Quote:
You seem to be making the assumption that Nigerian society has taken the form it has because Nigerians are black.

You seem to be lashing out at others for noting you keep calling white societies good and pointing at black societies and citing them as examples of what is wrong.

Do you deny that the continent of Europe colonized and crapped all over Africa for centuries?

Do you deny that Europe's racism and the alms they continue to send so they can maintain their racist views are the cause of such problems today?

Quote:
I can thank of a million other reasons.

And yet you continue to only cite black nations as example of supposedly errant capitalism.
Quote:
And you have the nerve to call me racist?

You were banned from applenova for a racist joke. You really should be quiet on matters of race. It gets you into trouble.

I do have the nerve to call you a racist when you are engaging in racism. Making up some bullshit accusations about some other place won't change that fact. Also if bans equals matters on which one should be quiet, then your actions here have gotten you banned multiple times. Perhaps you should follow your own reasoning and shut up all together.

post #317 of 753
You want to get into an argument with me.

I don't want to get into an argument with you. You love that shit. I do not.

All I'll say is this.

I'm making a point about regulation. Nigeria has none. It needs some. It isn't unregulated because Nigerians are black. That is your association, not mine, and it is a racist observation.

Secondly.

The number of times I have been banned for racism, anywhere — 0

The number of times you have been banned for racism, for making a racist joke in a thread about Hewlett Packard face recognition at applenova before rejoining under the nick 'MumboJumbo' — 1

You should be quiet on matters of race. You get into trouble.
post #318 of 753
Quote:

All I'll say is this.

I'm making a point about regulation. Nigeria has none. It needs some. It isn't unregulated because Nigerians are black. That is your association, not mine, and it is a racist observation.

Secondly.

The number of times I have been banned for racism, anywhere — 0

The number of times you have been banned for racism, for making a racist joke in a thread about Hewlett Packard face recognition at applenova before rejoining under the nick 'MumboJumbo' — 1

Wow. I've heard of this sort of thing from a certain member before.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #319 of 753
Quote:

All I'll say is this.

It is a racist observation. The reason Nigeria is the way it is because of Britain. Also Nigeria is no different than Venezuela under Chavez yet you seem to have no problems there.

Quote:
Secondly.

The number of times I have been banned for racism, anywhere 0

The number of times you have been banned for racism, for making a racist joke in a thread about Hewlett Packard face recognition at applenova before rejoining under the nick 'MumboJumbo' 1

You can continue to make up nonsense to console yourself about your multiple bans. I've never been banned for racism.

Amazing how you say you don't want to get into an argument and they restate your nonsense and your accusations. It's akin to saying you don't want a fight while punching someone in the face.

The reality is that Africa has not been some sort of petri dish whereby we have examples of unfettered capitalism. Africa is an example of Europeans wandering around and raping resources while using racism to justify their good intentions. They are merely "civilizing the savages."

Not much about that has changed as you can see. I'm sure from your high horse you see plenty of rationales while you, the supposedly superior must demand we bow down as the inferior. Look at that condescending tone and the requests within it.

I should just know my place right MJ. I just should just bow down to the superior intellect as should those darn Africans. We aren't pure enough blood for your ilk. We're just the savages that should shut up and settle down while you send us a check to pacify due to the fact that genetics has given us such a poor lot in life.

Hey MJ. You keep saying I get into trouble. Bring that trouble on from your mighty throne. I'd love to see it happen.

post #320 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Wow. I've heard of this sort of thing from a certain member before.

Of course you have. He's been 4-5 different people here between bans. He's a chorus of one.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › How Can One Possibly Support Obama's Economic Policies?