or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › How Can One Possibly Support Obama's Economic Policies?

How Can One Possibly Support Obama's Economic Policies? - Page 16

post #601 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Do you? Do you really? Do tell!

I already have.

You've gotta have the last word I know!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #602 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well you've been looking at thing through Republican colored glasses.

Have I now?

Brilliant how liberals always seem to "know" what other people are really thinking, believing, supporting, etc.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #603 of 753
Back to the topic: How Can One Possibly Support Obama's Economic Policies?

It is a mystery. Only two possible reasons: a) Economic ignorance, b) Evil desire to destroy the country.

post #604 of 753
Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment at 10.1% in September

Wow, it appears the damage Bush did was greater than originally thought. Time to print more money! That'll fix it!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #605 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

So say Republicans win big in November and take a lot of seats. Conservatives on this board have been arguing that things started getting bad when the Democrats took over the house and the senate in 06'. Well say Republicans have control in after the election in 2010. Then if things still go bad will they still blame Obama? I mean their whole arument has been based on the president doesn't matter as much as the rest of the government. That's how they can blame the Democrats for all of this. So I'm just wondering what brilliant logic they'll come up with then?

Asked, and answered, a month ago:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=360

A Republican majority in the House seems likely, but the Senate is far less so. They will have to pick up all seven D states in which they're even slightly favored, plus at least one of the states considered tossups (CA, IL, NV, WA). A filibuster-proof supermajority, such as the Ds enjoyed during the Obamacare debacle, just isn't in the realm of possibility.

If O runs for, and is elected to a second term (with emphasis on "if"), he will veto everything that crosses his desk, and will blame Congress for blocking his deluded, megalomaniacal plans to dismantle the United States. Count on it. The shrill left will blame Republicans for nothing less than genocide , as they attempt to block funding for Obamacare at every turn. Count on that too.

Considering all that, if they are elected to a Congressional majority, Rs have to grow a set of Nancy Pelosi-sized iron balls to stand up to these attacks. They'll also have to be complete, scandal-free models of morality and virtue, and their record for that isn't much any better than anyone else in government. Libs are given a wide berth when it comes to scandals and stupid remarks, while conservatives are expected to be saints in all aspects of their lives. You can whine all about the existence of that double standard, but conservatives just have to accept it as a fact of life.

Fortunately, a President's authority is Constitutionally limited. There will be no meaningful reform unless we elect a President and Congress whose goals are aligned with the will of the people they represent. Right now, government can't be further from that description and it's not likely to change in the near future.

In the near future, the best Americans can hope for is gridlock and partisan bickering. I'll take that over Democrat tyranny any day.
A is A
A is A
post #606 of 753

post #607 of 753

post #608 of 753
James Jones announces his departure ahead of the midterm elections

Quote:
It is yet another high-profile departure from the president's team recently.

Mr Obama's Lonely Summer:

Quote:
Had (vice-president Biden) been able to exercise the same influence over Mr Obama as Dick Cheney did over Mr Bush, America might already be winding down its war. But this is a president who does his deciding alone, no matter how widely he consults. Just as well, perhaps. Mr Obama faces the prospect of a lonely summer in 2011.

Imagine. Joe Biden having the "same influence" as Dick Cheney
A is A
A is A
post #609 of 753
Quote:

What? "Limit the federal government to those activities authorized by the Constitution?"

Don't you see? Commerce Clause authorizes Congress to do whatever it damn well pleases. Nancy Pelosi thinks so.

Quote:
The vast majority of politicians don't really care about the Constitution, even though they've taken an oath to uphold it.

Congressmen behave as though they're above the law. Is it any wonder they have utter disregard for it?
A is A
A is A
post #610 of 753

post #611 of 753
After the conclusion of the Obama "recovery summer", we are left with two possibilities for 2011 - bad, and worse:

Quote:
We see two main scenarios for the economy over the next 6-9 months a fairly bad one in which the economy grows at a 1½%-2 percent rate through the middle of next year and the unemployment rate rises moderately to 10 percent, and a very bad one in which the economy returns to an outright recession. There is not much probability of a significantly better outcome.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...mic-scenarios/
A is A
A is A
post #612 of 753
Yet another "unexpectedly large" job loss report: GOP Gets Bigger Hammer From September Job Losses

95,000 more jobs lost at the conclusion of Recovery Summer:

Quote:
Economists interviewed by The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg had expected either no net loss of jobs or perhaps a few thousand job losses.

It's the final jobs report prior to the midterm elections.

After the election, it will probably be revised negatively - like all the other reports from "Recovery Summer".

Quote:
Combined with the jobs reports of recent months, Friday's report will do nothing to help President Obama improve his job approval numbers.

You think???

Quote:
Senate Majority (sic) Leader Mitch McConnell piled on, criticizing the administration and congressional Democrats for being the problem, not the solution, when it comes to the economy:

"Americans are speaking out, and they want Washington to focus on jobs. But with each passing month, and each new jobs report, it becomes increasingly clear that while massive Washington spending is growing the size of government, it's clearly not growing sustainable private-sector jobs. The trillion-dollar stimulus didn't live up to promises made by the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress; the massive growth of the federal government didn't result in a similar growth of jobs; and the maze of new regulations, health care mandates and taxes are having a predictable impact on the economy."

Excuse me NPR, but Mitch McConnell isn't the Senate Majority Leader. Yet.
A is A
A is A
post #613 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

After the conclusion of the Obama "recovery summer", we are left with two possibilities for 2011 - bad, and worse:

A lot of the unemployed ought to get used to permanent unemployment:

The High Cost of Long-Term Unemployment

What about those millions of jobs createdorsaved?

Quote:
Looks like those "Government job creation is an oxymoron," said Bill Dunkelberg, chief economist at the National Federation of Independent Business. It is only by depriving the private sector of funds that government can hire or subsidize hiring.

You think???

Quote:
But the government has no money of its own to spend; only what it borrows or confiscates from us via taxation. Oops.

As in,

A is A
A is A
post #614 of 753
Still time order one of these.

And for the Obamatons: http://weaselzippers.us/2010/07/18/t...r-removal-kit/

post #615 of 753
Austan Goolsbee on The Employment Situation in September:

Quote:
Given the volatility in the monthly employment and unemployment data, it is important not to read too much into any one monthly report.

I'm not sure I'd say it has been "volatile." No, it has been fairly stable (and high.)

post #616 of 753
8 October 2010 Last updated at 00:01 ET

Quote:
The Japanese cabinet has approved a plan to pump more than $60bn (£38bn) into the country's struggling economy.

The aim of the plan - which still needs approval from parliament - is to boost growth, jobs and spending.

The Japanese economy is suffering from deflation and a strong currency; prices keep falling, but consumers hold off spending in hope of lower prices.

Analysts said the key problem is that the yen is at a 15-year high, making exports more expensive.

Earlier this week, the Bank of Japan set interest rates at just above zero.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11498607

JAPANESE YEN V US DOLLAR
LAST UPDATED AT 08 OCT 2010, 08:36 ET
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #617 of 753
In the end all of this will not matter as the world is DOOMED!!!!!!

Study predicts end of the universe
By Stuart Gary
Updated Fri Oct 8, 2010 12:29pm AEDT

Quote:
A new study suggests the universe and everything in it could end within the Earth's lifespan - less than 3.7 billion years from now - and we will not know it when it happens.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...08/3032932.htm
post #618 of 753
His economic policies may be unpopular, but ChocObama cookies are flying off the shelves!

African Brand Is Sweet on Obama

Quote:
(Obama's) popularity inspired African entrepreneurs. In the months surrounding Mr. Obama's Ghana visit, hundreds of shops, bars, restaurants and hotels across the continent adopted the Obama name. Dozens of companies put Obama on their products, including bottled water, bubble gum and beer.

A is A
A is A
post #619 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac
So say Republicans win big in November and take a lot of seats. Conservatives on this board have been arguing that things started getting bad when the Democrats took over the house and the senate in 06'. Well say Republicans have control in after the election in 2010. Then if things still go bad will they still blame Obama? I mean their whole arument has been based on the president doesn't matter as much as the rest of the government. That's how they can blame the Democrats for all of this. So I'm just wondering what brilliant logic they'll come up with then?

No, they will not be in control. They will almost definitely win the House. We know that. The Senate is possibly going to be a slim Dem majority or even 50-50 split. Even if they take both houses, they won't have the votes to override an Obama veto. So if Obama exercises his veto power on the GOP's agenda, (tax and spending cuts, repealing Obamacare, etc), yes..they will blame him. As they should.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #620 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

No, they will not be in control. They will almost definitely win the House. We know that. The Senate is possibly going to be a slim Dem majority or even 50-50 split. Even if they take both houses, they won't have the votes to override an Obama veto. So if Obama exercises his veto power on the GOP's agenda, (tax and spending cuts, repealing Obamacare, etc), yes..they will blame him. As they should.

Obama would be the "President of NO"?

post #621 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Like it or not the US President tends to set the tone of language in our society. Hence the popularity of fixing blame and finding someone's ass to kick - the essence of Obama's leadership to date. The characteristic appears rooted deep in his psyche, as it emerges frequently in the language he chooses.

After the fall of Germany's Weimar Republic, blaming their society's ills upon Jews (as well as other religious and ethnic groups) worked well to unite a broken and bankrupt country. As wrong as it is, fingering a common enemy remains an effective tactic - if one's goal is to divide society along lines of "winners" and "losers".

Historically, blame simply hasn't been a Republican strategy. I don't believe it will be this time. I can't recall a Republican president as fixated on the subject as Obama. Reagan inherited a deep recession and stagflation, but he didn't waste time blaming Carter. It's counterproductive and solves nothing, and there remain plenty of problems to solve.
A is A
A is A
post #622 of 753
post #623 of 753
How Can One Possibly Support Obama's Economic Policies?
DOW > 11,000 any questions?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #624 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

As if the DOW is an indication of the success of a president's economic policies!

Didn't it hit 14,000 under Bush?

post #625 of 753
Quote:

I think he actually wants to be! This will give him something to run on in 2012. He can claim that he just couldn't get anything through the Republican House.
post #626 of 753
Quote:

I think he actually wants to be! This will give him something to run on in 2012. He can claim that he just couldn't get anything through the Republican House.

Obama: Republicans Will Have to Learn to Get Along With Me

Only until 2012.
A is A
A is A
post #627 of 753
Quote:

As a matter of fact, yes.

post #628 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Obama: Republicans Will Have to Learn to Get Along With Me

Only until 2012.

Hysterical. This guy is more out of touch with reality than I could have possibly imagined.

Quote:
"It may be that regardless of what happens after this election, they feel more responsible," he is quoted saying in the Sunday edition of The New York Times Magazine, "either because they didn't do as well as they anticipated, and so the strategy of just saying no to everything and sitting on the sidelines and throwing bombs didn't work for them, or they did reasonably well, in which case the American people are going to be looking to them to offer serious proposals and work with me in a serious way."

Uh, first: They are going to do "reasonably well" no matter what at this point. They are going to win the House. The Senate, if it does stay in Dem control, will not even give him enough votes to stop a filibuster. And it's very possible it may go 50-50. I wonder if Obama even understands the worst case for him: The GOP takes nearly 100 seats in the house, and takes the Senate.

Quote:
"The mythology has emerged somehow that we ran this flawless campaign, I never made a mistake, that we were master communicators, everything worked in lockstep," Obama is quoted saying. "That's not how I look at stuff, because I remember what the campaign was like. And it was just as messy and just as difficult. And there were all sorts of moments when our supporters lost hope, and it looked like we weren't going to win. And we're going through that same period here."

Ahh, trying to play the expectations game. "See, were aren't that BAD now, it's just that we weren't as GOOD before...so it looks like we're totally incompetent and disconnected."
Right.

Quote:
Among the regrets the president said he felt during the 111th Congress is letting Republicans make him out to be "the same old tax-and-spend liberal Democrat."

Really, how the heck would he have combatted that characterization? Perhaps he wouldn't have spent $4 Trillion we didn't have?

Quote:

Obama said he also realized too late that "there is no such thing as shovel-ready projects," a familiar refrain made by the president when he was trying to sell the stimulus package.

"There are almost 100 shovel-ready transportation projects already approved," he said in August 2009. As recently as July of this year, he said, "Shovels will soon be moving earth and trucks will soon be pouring concrete."

Wait...so we just haven't given the stimulus enough time? Wasn't the entire stimulus sold to use based on Keynesian economic theory? Is the President now saying that he's realized that Keynesian stimulus doesn't work after all---even though the stimulus wasn't Keynesian to begin with?

LOL. This freakin' guy.
post #629 of 753

post #630 of 753
Quote:

Hysterical. This guy is more out of touch with reality than I could have possibly imagined.

That must be the reason why he got elected. People love that shit.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #631 of 753
Makes sense. Most people who voted for him were out of touch.

post #632 of 753

post #633 of 753
With the stock market back to where it was roughly before the crash and a boatload of companies showing record profits, why aren't they hiring people back? How many RECORD profits do corporations need to make before they start hiring again?

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #634 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

With the stock market back to where it was roughly before the crash and a boatload of companies showing record profits, why aren't they hiring people back? How many RECORD profits do corporations need to make before they start hiring again?

I have my guess, but you tell us why you think they aren't hiring?

post #635 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I have my guess, but you tell us why you think they aren't hiring?

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one!

"Unbridled greed and corruption."

post #636 of 753
Let's laugh at real problems, claim to be christians, and then hold the least christ-like attitudes imaginable! YAY HYPOCRISY!

Screw you guys.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #637 of 753
What is the "real problem" and who is laughing at it?

I asked you a direct, specific and reasonable question: Why do you think they aren't hiring? Will you give your answer?

post #638 of 753
That Jesus fellow said a lot of good things, didn't he?

Matthew 7:1-5

Quote:
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

post #639 of 753
Quote:

That Jesus fellow said a lot of good things, didn't he?

Matthew 7:1-5

assume fetal position and hold your knees to your chest .....
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #640 of 753
Quote:

assume fetal position and hold your knees to your chest .....

Hey, I'm not the one who brought Christ into the discussion.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › How Can One Possibly Support Obama's Economic Policies?