or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's new MacBook Pro has antenna mounted to optical drive frame

Apple's new MacBook Pro has antenna mounted to optical drive frame - Page 2

post #41 of 49
is this new antenna placement supposed to give us better WiFi reception?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #42 of 49
Gotta love iFixit. "Yeah pal, I got yer tri-wing screwdriver right here!"

Someone who already owns a 00 Torx isn't going to be put off by triwing screws, methinks. But it probably makes the lawyers happy.
post #43 of 49
I hope I can just futz around with a flathead--will this be possible? I just want to get my dang 7200 drive installed.
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AnandTech notes that it's actually warmer and uses an additional fan, but that might be with the previous entry-level 15" MBP.
The new MacBook Pro also gets much warmer than the old one. I'd say it's more comparable to the first gen unibody MacBook Pro. If you're going to have this thing on your lap for a while you may want to wait for the next rev of Arrandale due out later this year. It should be a bit cooler.

Cooling the Core i5 and the GT 330M requires two fans, compared to just one in the previous 2-chip solution. The new MacBook Pro is no louder than the old one in practice.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3659/a...e-one-to-get/8

I wonder how it can be warmer, have like 6% more battery yet get 10%+ more battery life - I just wonder what AnandTechs usage was when they noted it was warmer. I know with my 15" MBP it gets HOT when the 9600GT is in use, so if they were running graphic intensive apps that were kicking in the discrete GPU then I could see how it could get hot; but I'm hoping when keeping it in economy mode or not doing graphics intensive tasks it will run a bit cooler or at least the same... I hate sweaty legs with a laptop!

Rob
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Don't take you MBP apart. That is a job for a Genius.

The new screws will benefit most users. Most users do not have that screwdriver, and so they will not be tempted to take their MBP apart.

The average Joe would just get into trouble, and void their warranty. If someone doesn't even have access to specialty screwdrivers, they have NO business taking apart a MacBookPro!

I'm glad that Apple uses screws that will not be able to be screwed (pun intended) around with by the average Apple customer!

It describes in the Apple supplied manual how to replace the hard disk drive. It's easier than a TiBook and far far far easier than a clamshell iBook to do. Whilst I'm sure some people would be reluctant to do it - it's not difficult at all and only scary because of the false rumours spread about it voiding warranty.
post #46 of 49
On the subject of replacing the optical drive with an additional internal hard drive:

Does anyone know if the existing OptiBay design will fit unmodified in this generation and would the new antenna placement have any impact on installing it?

Is OptiBay the best tray for mounting an internal drive in place of the fast-becoming-redundant optical drive?
post #47 of 49
I have an Acer Aspire One netbook that I have refitted with an SSD and carry on camping / geocaching / mapping trips where I want to be able to re-program my GPS on the fly yet don't want to haul something I care about (like my MBP) where it could get stolen or just die of bouncing around in my Jeep. It doesn't have an optical drive. I've used an optical drive one (1) time with it -- when I removed the original 120mb hard drive and re-installed Windows XP onto the 64GB SSD. I plugged it into the USB port, did what I needed to do, unplugged it, put it away. Someone wanted some photos I'd just shot and loaded onto the netbook to sort through and upload to the Internet (this was at a campground that had wifi - yes, they exist). I just loaded them on a USB stick, handed it over, he stuck the stick into his own laptop, sucked the files off of it, handed the stick back to me. That's how it's done in the real world -- I never carry blank DVDR's with me anyhow, but I always have a USB stick zipped into one of the compartments of my laptop case, you can get them so tiny that you can barely see them sticking out of the USB port now, which makes them *much* more convenient to carry -- and much faster, too.

In other words: For the 13.3" MacBook Pro, I would happily give up the optical drive in order to get a larger batter and faster graphics. The only time I've ever used it is to install operating systems -- Snow Leopard on the main partition, then Windows 7 via Boot Camp -- and a plug-in optical drive would work just as well there. I have a nice small plug-in drive made for laptops that is USB powered (just plug it into two USB ports) that works plenty well for that (I bought it for installing Windows on the netbook, but I've plugged it into the MBP and it works just as well). Right now I'm hauling all that weight around for no good purpose, I'd much rather have a couple more USB ports, better graphics, and mo battery to go with them, thank you very much!
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

On the subject of replacing the optical drive with an additional internal hard drive:

Does anyone know if the existing OptiBay design will fit unmodified in this generation and would the new antenna placement have any impact on installing it?

Is OptiBay the best tray for mounting an internal drive in place of the fast-becoming-redundant optical drive?

The optibay is good being that it fits great. But you can save heaps just by going onto eBay and looking for optical drive bays there.

Personally I bought a $13(aus) IBM thinkpad drive bay (9.5mm) and just removed the 2 minor plastic nubs that sat under the speaker. It was only a few mm but it saved me about $120 on the cost of the optibay.

Just remember the actual DVD players are a standard fit. It's the mounting that differs.
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

The optibay is good being that it fits great. But you can save heaps just by going onto eBay and looking for optical drive bays there.

Personally I bought a $13(aus) IBM thinkpad drive bay (9.5mm) and just removed the 2 minor plastic nubs that sat under the speaker. It was only a few mm but it saved me about $120 on the cost of the optibay.

Just remember the actual DVD players are a standard fit. It's the mounting that differs.

Interesting. Thank you that was a very useful post!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's new MacBook Pro has antenna mounted to optical drive frame