or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled - Page 7

post #241 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Separated at birth?

Priceless.
post #242 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

IMO, it looks like a boxy, late-1970's Detroit-style aesthetic. A change may be overdue, but not this one.

Well... That's one opinion \
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #243 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Speaking from designer's perspective, there is no Ive's signature in that design so I call it fake.


Very interesting.

What Ives signatures exist in other devices? What might you expect to see in a new-generation iPhone?

I agree that this design is not up to apple's standards (speaking as a lay person) and so I am very skeptical that Apple would release something looking like this. The seams in the aluminum are unlikely, as is the lack of a curved-to-fit-your-hand back (IMO).
post #244 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post


o gosh, that makes it even more tacky looking.
post #245 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post


Or merely cooperatively developed...



"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #246 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It's just a pic of one cable.

Are you serious?
We've all seen that photo. The only thing that photo does is BEG the question: "where are the real meat and potatoes photos". Do you not get that?
I mean; this is the reason why it is all so suspect. Why show an internal photo that doesn't show anything substantial, and then purposely not publish photos that actually DO show something substantial?
post #247 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

IMO, it looks like a boxy, late-1970's Detroit-style aesthetic. A change may be overdue, but not this one.

ha! i don't think so - where is the fake wood panelling?
post #248 of 395
I have my doubts about the authenticity of this device, but it's certainly a very intriguing development. There's one interesting detail that I'm not sure that anyone has commented on yet. The separation of the volume buttons makes it easier for them to be used for additional functions. For example, the screen could be locked in its orientation by pressing both volume buttons at the same time. That is possible with the iPhone 3GS, but it's easier with more discrete buttons.
post #249 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

... just pre-ordered mine.


Me too... I considered the 11 GByte model, but decided to spend the extra $200 and get the full 73 GBytes.

>
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #250 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

A phone has some really technical design requirements. The most important being that it can withstand being dropped from a certain distance on to hard ground landing on one of its corners. That alone eliminates the iMac/macBook glass to metal application.

If the body of the phone is made out of single piece of machined metal, ISTM that it would be VERY impact resistant. The corners of the phone are where the force is concentrated into one small spot during some types of drops. By machining the body and making it stick out on 4 of the 6 sides, I would think that impact resistance would be greatly improved in some of the "worst-case scenario" drop tests.

I don't think that there will be a flat glass or crystal back, however.
post #251 of 395
In China. They'll make it look like a suicide. Like last time.

APRIL FOOLS LOL.
post #252 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Are you serious?
We've all seen that photo. The only thing that photo does is BEG the question: "where are the real meat and potatoes photos". Do you not get that?
I mean; this is the reason why it is all so suspect. Why show an internal photo that doesn't show anything substantial, and then purposely not publish photos that actually DO show something substantial?

Perhaps they didn't take it apart any further out of fears of not being able to put it back together? From the picture, it doesn't appear that further disassembly would be very easy. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions because they didn't show something you want to see. A controlled leak is a possibility, not a given, and that picture isn't any sort of proof.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #253 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think this is the 4th generation iPhone prototype that was reported stolen last July.


That's very creepy.

But you might be right. It certainly looks more like an early prototype than a production model.
post #254 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Are you serious?
We've all seen that photo. The only thing that photo does is BEG the question: "where are the real meat and potatoes photos". Do you not get that?
I mean; this is the reason why it is all so suspect. Why show an internal photo that doesn't show anything substantial, and then purposely not publish photos that actually DO show something substantial?

You asked, I answered. if you wanted additional pictures of additional components beyond the one that has been widely published, perhaps you could have asked.

I thought it was a pretty dumb question, but thought I'd help you out anyway.

If Giz says there are multiple components labeled with Apple's name, then either there are or Giz is lying outright. Since they are the only source of the pics, I might just suggest you try them. It is unlikely, that if Giz is committing a hoax with these pics and analysis that they would post here on AI to out their own hoax Or did you honestly think they might?

As other have mentioned, and perhaps you have missed, Giz could be holding back for followup stories which would drive more traffic their way. Page views are important to blogs. Sort of an internet thing.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #255 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Then why was it only recently 'remotely disabled'?

I was wondering the same thing. It might have been recently rediscovered by somebody, including Apple. It makes a juicier yarn.
post #256 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The debunking was debunked.

Bunk.
post #257 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

?too high up to be fired

Nail. Head. Hit.
post #258 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


The thing looks pretty much exactly like what you'd get if you applied all of Apple's recent patented design elements to a phone.

Only if the designer had no taste or, more likely, it was a thrown-together prototype case incorporating those features, but with little aesthetic refinement.
post #259 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Only if the designer had no taste or, more likely, it was a thrown-together prototype case incorporating those features, but with little aesthetic refinement.



Sure, that's way everything's so close-tolerance, and beautifully resolved...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #260 of 395
Wow, first iPad
then iPhone OS 4.0
then new MacBook Pro refresh
Now iPhone 4th gen hardware!

We are being OD'ed by Apple. . . nice one. What's on the menu for next week? I want more!
Dancers are the Athletes of God - Albert Einstein
http://www.iPhoneSalsa.com

Proud owner of iMac, Macbook Pro, iPhone, Time Capsule
Reply
Dancers are the Athletes of God - Albert Einstein
http://www.iPhoneSalsa.com

Proud owner of iMac, Macbook Pro, iPhone, Time Capsule
Reply
post #261 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Perhaps they didn't take it apart any further out of fears of not being able to put it back together? From the picture, it doesn't appear that further disassembly would be very easy. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions because they didn't show something you want to see. A controlled leak is a possibility, not a given, and that picture isn't any sort of proof.

Yes, that's all I'm saying. 'that photo isn't any sort of proof'.

Gizmodo reported "multiple" Apple labeled components. If they can see em, they can shoot em.
post #262 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post


LMAO! The iCe Cream Sandwich by Apple.
post #263 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yes, that's all I'm saying. 'that photo isn't any sort of proof'.

Gizmodo reported "multiple" Apple labeled components. If they can see em, they can shoot em.

Maybe the components they can see are just as boring as the cable, but they could most definitely take pictures nonetheless.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #264 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You asked, I answered. if you wanted additional pictures of additional components beyond the one that has been widely published, perhaps you could have asked.

I thought it was a pretty dumb question, but thought I'd help you out anyway.

If Giz says there are multiple components labeled with Apple's name, then either there are or Giz is lying outright. Since they are the only source of the pics, I might just suggest you try them. It is unlikely, that if Giz is committing a hoax with these pics and analysis that they would post here on AI to out their own hoax Or did you honestly think they might?

As other have mentioned, and perhaps you have missed, Giz could be holding back for followup stories which would drive more traffic their way. Page views are important to blogs. Sort of an internet thing.

Yeah, well Giz has disable their comments (big surprise)

Anyway. to reassert my original post on this topic: I have not, nor apparently has anybody else here, seen or been shown by Gizmodo, anything proving this thing is actual Apple property. And the thing is; that fact could be shown if it in fact exists.

On it goes.
post #265 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yes, that's all I'm saying. 'that photo isn't any sort of proof'.

Gizmodo reported "multiple" Apple labeled components. If they can see em, they can shoot em.

...and they can release them in measured/calculated intervals to ensure that the buzz keeps its momentum.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #266 of 395
The first time I saw the photos I wasn't sure, but I have looked at the Giz piece, and especially seeing next to the current 3GS I think it is great - and the new camera etc will make it an awesome upgrade. I just hope it isn't a fake and that the actual iPhone that is released in June is a let-down in comparison ...
post #267 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

...and they can release them in measured/calculated intervals to ensure that the buzz keeps its momentum.

No, come on, much better to think Giz has created an elaborate hoax.

And that really is the only other option here. Either Giz is pulling one over on all of us, or they are truthfully, albeit possibly not fully, disclosing their findings to us. If it is not a Giz hoax, then either it is a real Apple created device or the person that sold it to them created a very elaborate hoax, created a device using Apple labeled parts (again, this assumes Giz is being truthful), that itunes recognizes as an iPhone and boots as far as an Iphone looking restore screen.

In any event, since Giz has the device and they alone now control what photos and info will be released, it is sort of a fools errant to ask for additional Giz photos on an AI forum.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #268 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

...and they can release them in measured/calculated intervals to ensure that the buzz keeps its momentum.

Then here's a big tip for the genius bloggers trying to drive hits:

In the lead article you post a bit stating:
Please be sure to check back periodically as we release more information and more enticing photos! Check back often!!
post #269 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yeah, well Giz has disable their comments (big surprise)

Anyway. to reassert my original post on this topic: I have not, nor apparently has anybody else here, seen or been shown by Gizmodo, anything proving this thing is actual Apple property. And the thing is; that fact could be shown if it in fact exists.

On it goes.

You're suggesting that Gizmodo has fabricated this entire event, including the production of an otherwise non-existent iPhone shell and innards with first-class construction and engineering? This is not the first time this model iPhone has been spotted; are you suggesting that the others were imaginary as well? Including the one which can be seen in the iPad image leak from the night before the iPad's unveiling?
post #270 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Sorry. Never own a single Apple product so I'm no expert on names.

I studied Ive's works though.

Lazy man! Never owned a PC, but I know how to correctly spell Bill Gate and Stephen Ballmer!
post #271 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post


EDIT: Why does it say XXGB on the back? Surely it's got more than 20GB of memory.

It's the Flash version. Remember, Flash is responsible for all the p....
post #272 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

You're suggesting that Gizmodo has fabricated this entire event, including the production of an otherwise non-existent iPhone shell and innards with first-class construction and engineering? This is not the first time this model iPhone has been spotted; are you suggesting that the others were imaginary as well? Including the one which can be seen in the iPad image leak from the night before the iPad's unveiling?

NOTE: Your clear/concise logic has no place among those unwilling to accept the obvious...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #273 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

No, come on, much better to think Giz has created an elaborate hoax.

And that really is the only other option here. Either Giz is pulling one over on all of us, or they are truthfully, albeit possibly not fully, disclosing their findings to us. If it is not a Giz hoax, then either it is a real Apple created device or the person that sold it to them created a very elaborate hoax, created a device using Apple labeled parts (again, this assumes Giz is being truthful), that itunes recognizes as an iPhone and boots as far as an Iphone looking restore screen.

In any event, since Giz has the device and they alone now control what photos and info will be released, it is sort of a fools errant to ask for additional Giz photos on an AI forum.

Yes. At this point I am leaning more toward your option number 3. (Giz got punked) but then they ran with it, and they will back pedal later.
As I have stated elsewhere I Could Be Wrong

We'll see; probably tomorrow, around 5:30 pm EST
post #274 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Actually... This design pushes the Apple design language forward a bit by straying away from the (rather inane) illusion of thinness they try to create through the liberal use of tapered edges.

This device (finalized design or not) offers something much more practical, less pretentious, and (again) much more masculine than anything Apple has done since the original titanium PowerBook G4.



The biggest problem with this design is not how it looks, rather, it's the lack of protection on the edges/corners of the glass. Any drop and the glass is history. The old design's use of a wide bezel protects the glass in many drops....
post #275 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Apple may have to take what's available when it comes to displays for the iPhone, esp if it is 960x460 as pointed out in the article.

We all thought the early pics of the iPod nano 3G were fake because it too didn't seem like an "Apple design". I'm skeptical but not sure I'll go so far as to call this a fake...

If I had a dollar every time that someone said it wasn't an Apple design and a little while latter, Steve ended up holding it on stage, I'd be a rich man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

For The Curious - Here's The Original Craigslisting:

"So I did it again this last week, consumed way too much straight vodka within perhaps an hour. The party started at 7, I had to be removed by 10pm because I was biting/attacking/wanting/insulting people and in the process lost my employers iPhone 4G prototype model. It was lost at Fahrenheit Ultra Lounge & Restaurant downtown San Jose. The phone was hidden inside of an iPhone 3G case. The device has a front facing camera, 80GB of storage. The device, when found was probably running a newer version of iPhone OS but my employer bricked it remotely within a few hours. Pretty sure i'm going to lose my job over this so if you find the phone please email me. Thanks"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/laf/1698812779.html

Well, I can pretty much guarantee that the guy ending up employed is or will be true in short order.
post #276 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yeah, well Giz has disable their comments (big surprise)

Anyway. to reassert my original post on this topic: I have not, nor apparently has anybody else here, seen or been shown by Gizmodo, anything proving this thing is actual Apple property. And the thing is; that fact could be shown if it in fact exists.

On it goes.

They disabled their comments because there were too many people commenting, and I have seen them enable and disable the comments several times. They do say you can still comment on their facebook page. Why is everything a conspiracy?
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #277 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Gosh say if this is the next gen iPhone.... What will the iPod touch be like? Hmmmm

That's a very good point.
post #278 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

You're suggesting that Gizmodo has fabricated this entire event, including the production of an otherwise non-existent iPhone shell and innards with first-class construction and engineering? This is not the first time this model iPhone has been spotted; are you suggesting that the others were imaginary as well? Including the one which can be seen in the iPad image leak from the night before the iPad's unveiling?

My comment to which you replied does not suggest anything. It states a simple fact as of this current time. Re-read it if you need to.
post #279 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

The biggest problem with this design is not how it looks, rather, it's the lack of protection on the edges/corners of the glass. Any drop and the glass is history. The old design's use of a wide bezel protects the glass in many drops....

You're sure making an awful lot of assumptions as to the material composition of this 'device'.

Who's to say that this 'device' doesn't utilize some kind of new composite material impervious to such misuse?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #280 of 395
You're missing the BIGGEST clue of all from this leak!

This will be a departure from that pesky base 2 system of numbers. (based on Bytes and Bits and other made up things like Unicorns)

Instead this will be the first iPod offered in 20GB size. (XXGB according to the pictures)

Industry first I believe.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled