or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled

Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled - Page 8

post #281 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yes. At this point I am leaning more toward your option number 3. (Giz got punked) but then they ran with it, and they will back pedal later.
As I have stated elsewhere I Could Be Wrong

We'll see; probably tomorrow, around 5:30 pm EST

So you think some pranksters perfectly engineered and constructed a functioning iPhone clone whose internal engineering surpasses the current 3GS iPhone, and is such an elaborate hoax that even Mac OS X and iTunes believe it to be a new iPhone? And you believe this to be true simply because Gizmodo has not shown you an internal processor with an Apple logo on it?
post #282 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

They disabled their comments because there were too many people commenting, and I have seen them enable and disable the comments several times. They do say you can still comment on their facebook page. Why is everything a conspiracy?

What the...?? Of course they got 10 billion comments. "No Surprise"
So they turned off their comments. "No Surprise"
post #283 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

So you think some pranksters perfectly engineered and constructed a functioning iPhone clone whose internal engineering surpasses the current 3GS iPhone, and is such an elaborate hoax that even Mac OS X and iTunes believe it to be a new iPhone? And you believe this to be true simply because Gizmodo has not shown you an internal processor with an Apple logo on it?

Exactly... "There are none so blind as those who will not see"
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #284 of 395
It's likely either the final design or a very advanced prototype. The conspiracy theorists really kill me. At least most of the comments regarding the design have been positive. Apple has to like hat at least.

a poll I just saw.
Much Better 41% (5,797 votes)
A Little Better 27% (3,751 votes)
Same 7% (951 votes)
A Little Worse 14% (2,014 votes)
Much Worse 11% (1,518 votes) (herein lies the conspiracy theorists votes)
Total Votes: 14,031
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
post #285 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

It's likely either the final design or a very advanced prototype. The conspiracy theorists really kill me. At least most of the comments regarding the design have been positive. Apple has to like hat at least.

Personally, I doubt if Apple cares one way or another... \
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #286 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Google need not hire industrial espionage agents just use the Apple Rumor sites for their needs. Sad Apple is so betrayed at every turn these days.

I'm just totally befuddled, how is it that they can keep the device & no one ever says a word about ownership? Finding it in a public place does not equal fair game, the responsible thing would have been to turn it into authorities. They probably gambled that Apple won't dare confirm the device by coming to get it but still, theft is theft.
post #287 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I'm just totally befuddled, how is it that they can keep the device & no one ever says a word about ownership? Finding it in a public place does not equal fair game, the responsible thing would have been to turn it into authorities. They probably gambled that Apple won't dare confirm the device by coming to get it but still, theft is theft.

Who cares. It's a frickin phone.
post #288 of 395
Quote:

... This is hardly tantamount to 'theft' -
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #289 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Who cares. It's a frickin phone.

Wow. You're, like, missing the point in a major way, aren't you?
post #290 of 395
Quote:

Some person is running around Giz HQ with a remote, randomly turning off comments to various stories.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #291 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

"perfectly engineered and constructed a functioning iPhone clone whose internal engineering surpasses the current 3GS iPhone"

Wow. All I'm saying is I have not seen anything, ANYTHING that suggests what you have said right there to be the case.
"functioning iPhone" SHOW ME; till then...

Hey. I'm not saying I don't want this to be real (though I definitely don't want this to be the finished product (all that finger grunge building up in the screen / bezel edge)
post #292 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Very interesting.

What Ives signatures exist in other devices? What might you expect to see in a new-generation iPhone?

The only part that's really different from the normal iPhone is the edge, everything else is the same so the design is already Apple-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I agree that this design is not up to apple's standards (speaking as a lay person) and so I am very skeptical that Apple would release something looking like this. The seams in the aluminum are unlikely, as is the lack of a curved-to-fit-your-hand back (IMO).

One thing that is obvious from Apple's most recent products is the idea of material reuse to cut costs and to reduce waste. The metal keyboards are the cut-outs from the iMac shells.

There will also be strips left over on top of that. If they took those strips and cut them precisely, they couldn't join them to make a seamless loop but they could take two strips and connect them like in the picture. It would probably be much harder/slower to machine out a loop and then the holes in that loop than to do the holes and strips in one go then just bend them.

If the back is glass/ceramic then obviously it's much better to be perfectly flat but begs the question why they would bother with it. Perhaps environmental reasons as plastic isn't kind to the environment and Apple are shipping over 30 million a year. If it helps with the signals too then it's good all round.
post #293 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I doubt a company like Apple would make this kind of security leak! Dropping a prototype in bar by accident?!

The design in not something refined... it has too sharp edges and would not feel right in the hand. SJ is picky about this kind of think. The sharp edges, tacky design makes it look like red herring dropped on purpose.

Why would Apple allow the unit to go into a bar even for testing? Testing while drunk?

The edges are sharp? You've held it? You've actually held it? Wow! How heavy is it you lucky so-and-so?
post #294 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really?

i stand corrected
post #295 of 395
this is the new way. the cost of secrecy has been too high, coupled with the lessons learned during steve's acute health issues. the days of the super secret steve-intro are ending, kind of. patent filings. fcc clearances. it is all been much harder since entering communications. most important is protecting ip. also apple doesn't show prototypes. no vaporware. if you see it, it will ship. ask yourself, what was this doing out there? apple also had all weekend to kill the story, and didn't. they let it spread to gizmodo, and from there to everywhere else. but they could have killed it when it was a small story, with bad grainy pictures and no descriptions. certainly no autopsy.

we are all a part of the viral introduction of the new iphone.
post #296 of 395
Quote:

"perfectly engineered and constructed a functioning iPhone clone whose internal engineering surpasses the current 3GS iPhone"

Wow. All I'm saying is I have not seen anything, ANYTHING that suggests what you have said right there to be the case.
"functioning iPhone" SHOW ME; till then...

Hey. I'm not saying I don't want this to be real (though I definitely don't want this to be the finished product (all that finger grunge building up in the screen / bezel edge)

Which completely implausible explanation do you want to go with? That Gizmodo has been tricked, or that they are tricking all of us? Because they are saying that the phone boots to the "connect to itunes" screen and is recognized by Mac OS X and iTunes as an iPhone. If either of your highly unlikely scenarios were true, the designing and building of a completely believable "fake" iPhone shell and internals would be required to pull of such a prank, and has been exchanging hands since February. Do you not understand that what is in those photos is physically real, and that it would have to be built and engineered before said photos could be taken?
post #297 of 395
Quote:

I'm not sure how I could have concluded that you were referring site traffic being the reason Gizmodo closed commenting given your post. I do apologize for misreading your intentions though.

Quote:

Yeah, well Giz has disable their comments (big surprise)

Anyway. to reassert my original post on this topic: I have not, nor apparently has anybody else here, seen or been shown by Gizmodo, anything proving this thing is actual Apple property. And the thing is; that fact could be shown if it in fact exists.

On it goes.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #298 of 395
http://gizmodo.com/5520160/gal-2//gallery/8

I really like the new design, very sleek. I always hated the volume rocker on my ipod touch, so the buttons are a welcome addition. The new phone also makes the 3gs design look bloated and outdated.

I also feel that Apple is working together with gizmodo to garner hype and that this is a controlled leak. Imho, that is why there isn't more detailed pics and info of the phone's components.
post #299 of 395
The assumption that this could be 'just a fake' is fundamentally unfounded and vastly simplifies (or ignores) just what is involved in manufacturing the device in discussion.

I am just not sure people realize the extent of innovation, engineering and high end manufacturing processes that would be required to deliver this as simply a FAKE into the wild.

You must fully appreciate that the design specification, engineering and fabrication + assembly precision that was required JUST to realize those (working) volume buttons would limit the maker to the highest end fabricators in the industry. Just look at that hairline reveal between button and housing. Add to that the glass and ceramic materials engineering. PLUS the precision fit and finish. (I could go on, and on). This is simply not a 'garage' project.

Absolutely no outfit big or small would (could) have this much access to or put this much investment against engineering, materials and manufacturing technique to create.... a fake.

This is definitively apple engineering. And definitively designed to a near complete product. Its not a mock-up or a early model.

It may be a pre-release , BUT this object represents the (very nearly) END of the design/manufacturing process. Not the beginning or middle.

---

Lastly a thought on the seems intersecting the housing. ---> heat abatement.
post #300 of 395
Well said...totally agree
post #301 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

http://gizmodo.com/5520160/gal-2//gallery/8

I really like the new design, very sleek. I always hated the volume rocker on my ipod touch, so the buttons are a welcome addition. The new phone also makes the 3gs design look bloated and outdated.

I also feel that Apple is working together with gizmodo to garner hype and that this is a controlled leak. Imho, that is why there isn't more detailed pics and info of the phone's components.

i think the likelyhood of 'apple working with gizmodo' is exactly zero.
post #302 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post

The assumption that this could be 'just a fake' is fundamentally unfounded and vastly simplifies (or ignores) just what is involved in manufacturing the device in discussion.

I am just not sure people realize the extent of innovation, engineering and high end manufacturing processes that would be required to deliver this as simply a FAKE into the wild.

You must fully appreciate that the design specification, engineering and fabrication + assembly precision that was required JUST to realize those (working) volume buttons would limit the maker to the highest end fabricators in the industry. Just look at that hairline reveal between button and housing. Add to that the glass and ceramic materials engineering. PLUS the precision fit and finish. (I could go on, and on). This is simply not a 'garage' project.

Absolutely no outfit big or small would (could) have this much access to or put this much investment against engineering, materials and manufacturing technique to create.... a fake.

This is definitively apple engineering. And definitively designed to a near complete product. Its not a mock-up or a early model.

It may be a pre-release , BUT this object represents the (very nearly) END of the design/manufacturing process. Not the beginning or middle.

---

Exactly. Thank you. These aren't some blurry lowlight webcam photos of a cardboard mockup from it's one good side.
post #303 of 395
I like this shape in general (be it authentic or not)... only thing I'm not so thrilled with are separate, big, round volume buttons. That seems a bit strange for me. Additionally, I'd expect retail model to have seamless frame. If Apple can make single-part notebook case, they surely can make phone frame? Seam on this one looks ugly and is too big - almost as if parts were not fited properly.
post #304 of 395
The iPhone needs a larger screen size, not a smaller one, regardless of the resolution.

But kudos to Apple for putting in a forward-facing camera. Finally catching up to the competition: this is a good sign!
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #305 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

You're missing the BIGGEST clue of all from this leak!

This will be a departure from that pesky base 2 system of numbers. (based on Bytes and Bits and other made up things like Unicorns)

Instead this will be the first iPod offered in 20GB size. (XXGB according to the pictures)

Industry first I believe.

what about the old iPod Photo models with amazing color screens?
lmao internet
lmao internet
post #306 of 395
Quote:

... This is hardly tantamount to 'theft' -

So if your car is parked in a public place I'm free to take it? So if you leave your credit card on a table at a restaurant I'm free to take it? You are absolutely wrong, if you keep it then it is theft and you better believe the police would agree!

You find a $20 on the street, yeah so you pick it up. Not much point in turning it in because there is no way they are going to find the owner. However, a mobile phone belongs to someone with a cell plan so tracking down the owner is not only possible but easy. Deciding to just keep it since you personally don't know who's it is means you are deciding to steal it.
post #307 of 395
Quote:

Yes. At this point I am leaning more toward your option number 3. (Giz got punked) but then they ran with it, and they will back pedal later.
As I have stated elsewhere I Could Be Wrong

We'll see; probably tomorrow, around 5:30 pm EST

Possible. But unless it was Apple that punked them it was an awfully elaborate fake...good enough to fool giz and the people they've had look at it over a week.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #308 of 395
Quote:

So if your car is parked in a public place I'm free to take it? So if you leave your credit card on a table at a restaurant I'm free to take it? You are absolutely wrong, if you keep it then it is theft and you better believe the police would agree!

You find a $20 on the street, yeah so you pick it up. Not much point in turning it in because there is no way they are going to find the owner. However, a mobile phone belongs to someone with a cell plan so tracking down the owner is not only possible but easy. Deciding to just keep it since you personally don't know who's it is means you are deciding to steal it.

They surely must have had some kind of Strawman giveaway somewhere today... \
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #309 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

The biggest problem with this design is not how it looks, rather, it's the lack of protection on the edges/corners of the glass. Any drop and the glass is history. The old design's use of a wide bezel protects the glass in many drops....

Actually the chrome bezel is purely decorative.
If you like that sort of thing.

In the current iPhone, the edge of the glass is held and protected by a black steel bezel. Apple have a patent on it - Which is present on this design too.

C.
post #310 of 395
Quote:

[I]

could try more frequent hand washing...

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #311 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

But kudos to Apple for putting in a forward-facing camera. Finally catching up to the competition: this is a good sign!

Do you post the same passive-aggressive nonsense every time there is a story on the 4g?
post #312 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPhone needs a larger screen size, not a smaller one, regardless of the resolution.

The screen is basically the same size. Based on the pictures, the average person will never notice the difference. I don't buy in to the iPhone needs a bigger screen argument either. I like the current form factor but I'll gladly take a bigger screen as long as the phone doesn't increase in size. If it makes the phone bigger, I probably don't want it.
post #313 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post

---

I agree with that, but I still struggle with the fact that we've never known Apple to allow this to happen. Apple employees...unless they are high up I assume...don't get to walk around with unreleased products. It simply doesn't happen. Someone mentioned that perhaps it was an AT&T employee that had it. Riiiight. They REALLY don't get hardware two months in advance.

After reading the Giz article and watching videos, I agree it's definitely not "just a fake." It's either real or the most amazing fake ever created.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #314 of 395
I don't think it was found in a bar either. It was obviously stolen; the bar cover story is just an attempt to cover up tracks. That implies an inside job. Hmm.
post #315 of 395
If that becomes final, the complaints will soar.
post #316 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

You're missing the BIGGEST clue of all from this leak!

This will be a departure from that pesky base 2 system of numbers. (based on Bytes and Bits and other made up things like Unicorns)

Instead this will be the first iPod offered in 20GB size. (XXGB according to the pictures)

Industry first I believe.

How so? Where are the specs saying it will be 20Gb?
post #317 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominiej View Post

How so? Where are the specs saying it will be 20Gb?

He's making a clever joke. XX is the Roman numeral for 20.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #318 of 395
Quote:

They surely must have had some kind of Strawman giveaway somewhere today... \

How right you are! There have been a lot of strawmen presented by those thinking this is the real deal.
post #319 of 395
Fake - but a good one.
Good marketing by Giz thou.
post #320 of 395
With reference to AppleInsider articles from months gone by, how does this grab you lot...

The back of the phone could be a solar panel.

If these are images of the 4G iPhone then the flat back could lend itself to being a dual-sided multi-touch device.

Further, it could be a combination of the above ideas...

...discuss...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled