or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Prototype iPhone was left at bar by Apple software engineer

Prototype iPhone was left at bar by Apple software engineer - Page 4

post #121 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

I'm not a 1L. I used to be married to one and then she became a prosecutor. Now I'm a widower so I can't get her opinion. My recollection is that motive matters: "Even a dog knows the difference between being tripped over and being kicked".

With due respect, I believe it was stolen the minute the finder decided to sell it rather than make a reasonable effort to return it to its rightful owner.

But time will tell. You seem very sure of yourself and your opinions. I'm interested to see what happens, but I'm making no predictions.

Time will tell. Its all about the facts that we dont know. I dont believe there was any selling of the phone itself. From what I have read they paid money to a guy to take pictures of a phone that he found and was attempting to return to the owner. It wouldnt matter that they only tried to give it back after talking with an attorney. It does seem to be the guy in the bar seemed to make a reasonable effort by asking around and waiting for the owner to return. Who knows this could all be a lie though. I would say its much more likely that the finder grabbed it when the owner was not looking and left the bar, and being a thief was not smart enough to turn it on airplane mode before apple wiped it.

Its all about the facts!!!!!! We cant really trust anything posted on the internet. Who knows, that letter that was just posted from the apple general counsel could have easily been faked.

But ill go on the record and say that in my opinion there will be no legal action by apple and there will defiantly not be any action by any prosecutor's office. The phone will be viewed as lost and although it may not be morally right what they did they didnt do anything criminal.
post #122 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Actually, I think there is a good chance that this was a deliberate decoy by Apple.

I wish we could make bets through appleinsider. That would sure make these discussions interesting. I'm not a big believer in conspiracies or media stunts. I'm sure you believe the whole Bush administration orchestrated 911 for profit huh? lol the funny thing is that you are probably thinking "obviously it was for oil money."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Hey! AppleInsider! Make a poll about this.

p.s. go red in 2012! Although shit the world is going to end on December 21st so who cares what happens in November . . . ;-)
post #123 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So to disable their iPad, they must get through my firewall, break into my network and then disable the iPad? Sounds illegal to me. I doubt an iPad is communicating on a seperate network broadcasting itself just in case mobileme comes knocking.

Unless your firewall specifically blocks apple servers that won't stop them. Your iDevices always periodically contact apple servers. That's the only way they could possibly accomplish basic things like push, etc. Even the phones lock/unlock status is stored on apples servers.
post #124 of 162
It's worth remembering that in the past Apple has split the development/prototype testing so that aside from a few select individuals no one gets access to the final product until just before launch.

The software people don't get to use the actual hardware & the hardware people don't test with the real software. This guy is apparently a software engineer so it's quite possible that the hardware he was carrying around isn't a 100% match for what is planned for the iPhone 4.

Having said that with the dual cameras & flash etc it must be pretty close - otherwise he might as well just test on a 3Gs.
post #125 of 162
Gray's flickr account looks so damn fake to me. He or whomever he has taking pictures for him must be a really good photographer.
post #126 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Hey ya jerk!
What ya doin' posted our secrets around the internets for?

Not only does Germany have some of the most gorgeous down-to-earth-take-home-to-meet-mom girls on the planet *....

...but even the English agree (WorldCup '06 headlines in Britain), that Germany makes the finest beer on the planet! Considering the total consumption at the WC06, which I believe is a world record, and my all-to-often personal experiences... you MUST be careful!

A couple of those mugs will knock the average Bud or Miller drinker to his knees, if the beauty and um... "assets" of the Kelnerin doesn't do it first!

* Disclosure: my reason for being here in the first place: I was a souvenir to a still, 20-years later gorgeous, "au pair" I met in LA.

PS. Every red, blue, yellow, green (whatever) blooded guy should make it their goal to make a pilgrimage to the one-n-only Oktoberfest in Munich at least once in their lives. Give yourself a few days (BEFORE!), and visit the BMW Museum outside of Munich, and also Ingolstadt (Audi), and possibly Stuttgart (Mercedes & Porsche). What more could a guy want: Beautiful cars, great girls, and fantastic beer and fun! (You may adjust adjectives to your liking.)
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #127 of 162
Usually I find at least a few comments I agree with here. Actually there may be some but I couldn't read all of them this time. I'm having trouble not using words like moronic. No wonder Apple gets so much credit for their media control. People actually think Apple or SJ thought dropping a prototype at a bar is a good way to leak info. Wow. I mean, weather you love apple or hate them, you think they said "drop it off at a bar and see what happens"? It's well understood they do controled leaks, think major newspaper or magazine and an Apple exec. that gives an exclusive to a reporter they know there under the condition of anonimity. Not let's hope a drunk gives it to Gizmodo.
As for the poor sob who lost it I don't think he'll lose his job. If he was trusted with the prototype he's probably has value enough. He's already paying the"I publicly made the biggest boneheaded move ever" price.
post #128 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Gray Powell sounds, (and looks in every picture), like an alcoholic. I didn't know him a half hour ago and now I've seen four pictures each of which he holds some kind of beer or mickey of something.

Because he lost the phone while drunk at a bar. Sure he f'd up, but that's not necessarily an alcoholic. He's just young. They're using those pictures because they go with the story very well.

Quote:

Gizmodo's "story" is full of so many holes it isn't funny.

They got the new iPhone when no one else could, not this time or the three previous times. That's pretty badass.

Quote:

My deepest hope is that Gizmodo finally gets the comeuppance it's been begging for all the last few years, but probably nothing will happen to them at all. It's so hard to watch those hacks at Gizmodo break the rules, and shit all over people over and over again and never get in any serious trouble. Jesus is the only one with a brain, and all of them act like they are twelve half the time.

Well, I agree that outing the Apple Employee isn't very classy. That I can see as shitting on people. As for outing the iPhone, that pretty much is the definition of not being a hack. It's probably the best thing I've seen since I've been reading tech blogs, and if I could read Gizmodo more than I already do, I would.
post #129 of 162
Hoax.
post #130 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleman1 View Post

Hoax.

Troll.
post #131 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Hey ya jerk!

Not only does Germany have some of the most gorgeous down-to-earth-take-home-to-meet-mom girls on the planet *....

...but even the English agree (WorldCup '06 headlines in Britain), that Germany makes the finest beer on the planet! Considering the total consumption at the WC06, which I believe is a world record, and my all-to-often personal experiences... you MUST be careful!

A couple of those mugs will knock the average Bud or Miller drinker to his knees, if the beauty and um... "assets" of the Kelnerin doesn't do it first!

* Disclosure: my reason for being here in the first place: I was a souvenir to a still, 20-years later gorgeous, "au pair" I met in LA.

PS. Every red, blue, yellow, green (whatever) blooded guy should make it their goal to make a pilgrimage to the one-n-only Oktoberfest in Munich at least once in their lives. Give yourself a few days (BEFORE!), and visit the BMW Museum outside of Munich, and also Ingolstadt (Audi), and possibly Stuttgart (Mercedes & Porsche). What more could a guy want: Beautiful cars, great girls, and fantastic beer and fun! (You may adjust adjectives to your liking.)

The Irish make better beer.
post #132 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Troll.

Nothing troll. I simply do not believe that this is true. If you look at the letter suppose to be written by Apple: come on, this is written by chief legal stuff Apple? Have you seen the old logo, the way it's written, the too many spaces?
Please tell me at which bar I can get it, we can have a (German) beer over it???
If it would be stolen etc, they would just send a letter in a way of: you bring me back my stuff right now or we...
Remember, Apple is the same company who closed Think Secret some years ago.
And now you think they beg Gizmodo to please tell me where to pick it up?
Na, it's a hoax.
But feel free to think like many others.
post #133 of 162
Sincerely, I hope in a better design...... \

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

post #134 of 162
Quote:

Nothing troll. I simply do not believe that this is true. If you look at the letter suppose to be written by Apple: come on, this is written by chief legal stuff Apple? Have you seen the old logo, the way it's written, the too many spaces?
Please tell me at which bar I can get it, we can have a (German) beer over it???
If it would be stolen etc, they would just send a letter in a way of: you bring me back my stuff right now or we...
Remember, Apple is the same company who closed Think Secret some years ago.
And now you think they beg Gizmodo to please tell me where to pick it up?
Na, it's a hoax.
But feel free to think like many others.

Like the New York Times?

Wow you better call and tell the NYT editors it was a hoax! You can save the day! Go you!

(psst - the NYT confirmed it - they're a "real newspaper" and stuff. Unlike trolls)
post #135 of 162
Quote:

Like the New York Times?

Wow you better call and tell the NYT editors it was a hoax! You can save the day! Go you!

(psst - the NYT confirmed it - they're a "real newspaper" and stuff. Unlike trolls)

Still I do not see why you should behave the way you behave: I simply do not believe it, as the story has too many holes.
The phone itself might be true, I do not doubt that.

Anyway, I'm not a troll, I just think it's very unlikely that a 27 year old engineer goes into a bar with a prototype machine belonging to a company which is known for extreme secret behaviour, with black wraps and red lamps when something deep inside its campus is exposed.

Anyway, never mind, you are right.
post #136 of 162
Quote:

Still I do not see why you should behave the way you behave: I simply do not believe it, as the story has too many holes.
The phone itself might be true, I do not doubt that.

Anyway, I'm not a troll, I just think it's very unlikely that a 27 year old engineer goes into a bar with a prototype machine belonging to a company which is known for extreme secret behaviour, with black wraps and red lamps when something deep inside its campus is exposed.

Anyway, never mind, you are right.

But I love playing the odds. And the only thing that's a bigger stretch than a drunk Apple employee ditching a prototype, is the idea it was on purpose.

It's all speculation of a source until the NYT posts an article on Steve Jobs begging for it's return - then the odds go up quite a bit.

Heres the link btw : http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/te...ref=technology
post #137 of 162
I hope that if I were to forget my mobile phone in a bar that someone would hand it over to the barman so that I can retrieve once I realised that I've forgotten it. Or failing that, drop it off at a local police station. Taking it home is not an option.

'Finders Keepers' is for the under 4s, not for adults with a proper sense of honourable behaviour.

Gizmodo knew it didn't righteously belong to the Finder. To knowingly buy goods from someone who did not have legal ownership is not honourable, and may be a criminal act. This isn't an issue involving corruption or hypocrisy of government officials, it was a prototype /phone/ which a company wanted to keep secret as part of their effort to operate in a competitive environment. Why so cavalierly undermine those efforts?

I wonder how Gizmodo would have felt if somehow those exclusive photos were left in a bar before publication and someone else picked them up and used them - particularly after Gizmodo paid £thousands for them? Would they support Finders Keepers then?
post #138 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The fact is that there's no perfect security," he wrote. "Not when humans are involved. Humans that can lose things. You know, like the next generation iPhone."

Well, there're still interesting things besides xenophobia; they generate less page hits, though.
Clueless blogger, the type, who can only deserve being quoted by AI, is sure absolutely ignorant, that software engineers seldom lay their hands on device prototypes. They work with emulators instead. Being a keyboard guy, you can actually do very few things with prototype; all you have is field test mode.
The engineer is thus either (a) a test one, or (b) purposely and irresponsibly stole the prototype from his buddies at hardware or test department, or (c) was purposely given the prototype to carry out the "mission".
Knowing guy's graduation year, (b) can by no means be excluded...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #139 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

The story about the guy getting drunk and losing it is too stupid to be true, but it might be...

I am reminded of a show I saw years ago:

Police officer: Sir, if you don't stop being belligerent I will have to arrest you.

Man: But officer, I'm not belligerent; I'm Presbyterian.

So I say it is too stupid not to be true especially with alcohol involved.
post #140 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post

What's "wench" in German?

I think it's "Schiffer".
post #141 of 162
'Jesus Diaz'? German beer ... This whole story looks so fake now.
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
The great things for the great, the abysses for the profound, the thrills for the refined, and, to sum up shortly, everything rare for the rare.
post #142 of 162
Gizmodo could have been a lot smarter about this situation. What would have been so wrong
with making a little "deal" with Apple? Samples for the staff-A few secrets a day or two before
the next couple of big releases. It would have been a lot easier than what they are going to have
to deal with now & less repercussions.
Just saying-
post #143 of 162
Guys, for the last time, this is not the case design. This is a prototype-only case with the real internals, made for testing. IT WILL NOT LOOK LIKE THIS.
post #144 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Hey ya jerk!

So naïve, unsophisticated and honest that there is nothing to add to it. Right on!
post #145 of 162
Let's see -- they had the name of the guy who lost it, access to his Facebook account, and the knowledge that he is an Apple employee, but they just couldn't figure out how to return it to him? They made a generic call to Apple instead?

I don't think their claim of making a good-faith effort to return it holds much water.
post #146 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiandaliaJr View Post

You sound like a first year law student. A + B = C. Not quite the case. Gizmodo allegedly paid to handle the device (i.e. take pictures), not own it. They even called the owner to "return it". Even though they probably only called to get a confirmation on the device they still appear to have the intention to return in. So no there was no sale of stolen property.

I'm sure there might be something illegal about the whole situation, maybe something to do with exposing trade secrets. I'm sure Gizmodo's attorneys know the risks of what they did and made a gamble. It's interesting that they didnt post information about the internal parts, other than the battery size and SD card. No RAM information, no processor type, nothing really to tell us about the new inner-workings other than what is already apparent from the outside (i.e. something that would be apparent to a "finder").

I'm by no means an expert on this but its pretty ridiculous to say these people are criminally liable. Its not like someone broke into apple, stole a iPhone 4G and sold it to the highest bidder. There was a lost phone, some pictures were taken, and the phone is going to be returned.

If the finder gave the phone to Gizmodo and did not get it back - that was in essence selling it to them - both could conceivably be charged with Receiving Stolen Property. Gizmodo also took the thing apart - that *could* be considered destruction of property.

I'm no expert, either... but if you've got a gung-ho police officer or DA, they could bring something up.
post #147 of 162
Why computer engineers love beer?

Who is fool enough to make money selling a iPhone prototype if he (women are not that dumb) could just personally take it back to  and ask politely for a free mac pro (even second hand one) + a display, i would have tried that move instead.
post #148 of 162
post #149 of 162
Quote:

Not better... but definitely on the same level if you fancy a Dark Lager or Malted.

Reason: you're a Back to the Future fan? Never woulda thought it
post #150 of 162
Feeding the conspiracy, is it mere coincidence that "American Beer" is the 99 cent movie on iTunes/ AppleTV this week? Further, one of the characters goes into a bar and gets introduced to "German Beer" (though its actually a Heineken).

Does the software engineer look like a Canadian who looks like Ferris Bueller? That would clinch it.
post #151 of 162
Quote:

All this talk is only relevant as long as one does not know Leffe, or Hoegaarden, or Kwak.
post #152 of 162
Dear folkz,

1. CHARGES
No one will get sued or charged about this, because this was a PLANNED LEAK. Do you think that the company, which gets insane about their security, would let a young SW engineer to carry a top secret product prototype off the campus? No way they would! Not long ago there was an article on how far Apple goes regarding access to the prototype products...
And if he accidentally managed to sneak the prototype out and did what he did - LOST, would he still be working for APPLE? Not in any way. I would personally fire him to make a case for other employees. Steve would freaked out 10 times faster. People got fired at apple for putting unintentional words in emails that accidentally leaked. It was a planned leak for sure.

2. GIZMODO and APPL
Why exactly would Gizmodo get this and no one else? Apple (Steve) and GIZMODO were always in good relations. Gizmodo's always playing nice on Apple products, and Apple regards them back with priceless marketing at the keynotes.
By looking at the CA law, everything done here is a crime. I don't think Apple would be hesitating on suing GIZMODO directly, if they would be so unhappy, hurt and robbed with this leak.

3. THE iPHONE 4G DESIGN
The leaked iPhone DESIGN is not FINAL. They need to have something to show at the WWDC keynote as well.... It's a prototype case and there are too many factors on this design that isn't something Apple would release. Altough I like it a loot. It needs a little polish, but I think I love it more then current design. The leak was only to show to the world that iPhone is getting 1 major feature - VIDEO CHAT! Of course along with other cool upgrades - better camera, better battery, bla bla (but we all knew that new iPhone will be having better these).

4. LEAK
This wouldn't be the first ever planned leak from Apple. It came in the right time. At the launch of new HTC phones... Everyone just wants a 4G iPhone now. Me too . So this is another good fact that this was a carefully planned PR move.
post #153 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This isn't an iPhone news story.

It's the guy's obituary.

Unless it was intentional. In which case it sets an odd example for other Apple employees.

Well said.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #154 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

All this talk is only relevant as long as one does not know Leffe, or Hoegaarden, or Kwak.

I like Hoegaarden much more than Leffe and I've never tried Kwak. But I still prefer a nice Tetley's or Boddington's, and Guinness hits the spot every once in a while. Kilkenny gets honorable mention.
post #155 of 162
I'm actually pretty disgusted by how this was handled.

Instead of attempting to return a phone to someone who lost it, the person who found it acts like a thief and pokes around with it. Upon discovery that it was a prototype, the person offers it for sale to the highest bidder rather than contacting Apple. Apple may have been generous and given the guy a free laptop or some other perk.

As someone with a journalism background, I'm dismayed that the quest for information on the latest gadget has completely overwhelmed common decency. I wish I never looked at Gizmodo yesterday.

Also, the kid from NC State made an honest mistake. I hope Apple recognizes that there are human beings involved in life instead of just gadgets. At least they proved the value of the technology to brick a phone remotely.

This will hopefully be an eye opener to everyone involved.
post #156 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

A 27 year old has never had German beer before??

Apple doesn't let them out much.
post #157 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Why would Apple allow a low level software engineer to take the phone off campus? Unless he's some sort of genius prodigy, a 27 year old is likely only a level 2 engineer... Not someone they would let field test such a high profile device...

He either stole it (smuggled it off campus), or more likely, this whole story is bogus.

He was a baseband developer, possibly testing the carrier connection in the field.

It seems like a genuine mistake but imagine the scenario if you are a company like Microsoft and want to one-up the master of secrets by unveiling an HP Slate that looks very similar to an iPad months before or revealing the spec and design of their flagship mobile device months before, you'd consider paying a young developer to accidentally leave it somewhere.

This way Microsoft's launch of WP7 targets devices that have a 2 month jump on matching/rivalling the 4th gen iPhone.

Genuine mistake or not, someone along the line is in a whole lot of trouble. Gizmodo have no defense here. Who would believe that a well-informed gadget site wasn't aware that an unreleased device from the most secretive company in the world wasn't stolen?

If this was a mistake by the developer and not deliberate, I hope he isn't fired for it. People make mistakes - he should simply have field-testing privileges revoked or only be allowed to test prototype units. An investigation is likely and it could go beyond this one thing. If the developer in question did this deliberately, he may also have leaked baseband details for people unlocking the phone in the past.

I don't think the leak has dampened the hype though. Exactly the opposite.
post #158 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza2 View Post

I'm sorry folks, that is not the next iPhone, there's no way that was made by Apple. You can tell a mile away that it's not a Jony Ive design. I'm not sure how this story about the Apple engineer fits into it, it's possible--knowing the source (Gizmodo)--that the whole thing is concocted. Believing a Gizmodo story about an Apple product would be like believing a Fox News news release about Obama.

Oh yeah? How about an MSNBC or ABC or CBS or NPR or CNN story about Bush? Would it be like that too? huh?
post #159 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Small.

As I (vaguely) recall, ThinkSecret was some Harvard undergrad dorm type of outfit.

Gawker/Gizmodo are much larger, and more serious business. (For instance, Katie Couric does not simply refer to random web outlets in her nightly news reports). They will fight, and like crazy. It will, imho, end up being the kind of 'free press vs. corporate suits' battle that Apple will be unwise to take on. David v. Goliath.

Not dissimilar to, say, Obama taking on the Drudge Report.

Apple has better things to do. It should pick its battles. The sales of the next gen iPhone are not going to be affected one iota by this. Smile, shrug, say 'no comment,' and move on.

How do you figure, and who exactly is David?

Gawker is a business. They sell ad space based upon how many people they can draw to watch their website.

Pretending to be "impartial" or any other such nonsense is pretentious arrogant collegiate-level crap.

There is no such thing as a "Journalist". They are vultures. They are self-righteous incestuous academic wannabes who struggle to manipulate opinion at every turn.

There hasn't been an actual "report" from an actual "reporter" given to the public since the 1930s.

Once Hearst realized he could manipulate public opinion by slanting the language, Journalism was born.
post #160 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

Gizmodo, wow, what a bunch of a-holes.

Agreed, "hey man, we held your phone for you! Well true, we did take it all apart & post pictures of it all over the internet. Yeah our actions may yet cost you your job, but at least we got a good story out of it!"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Prototype iPhone was left at bar by Apple software engineer